• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Real-Gaf Community |OT2| Sponsored by Leadbelly the Impaler

dralla

oh my gawd it is awesome, so much info on everything you can possibly imagine, it's glorious!

jX9HcBSC5CxTq.JPG

jbcoPT7YXQiNM9.JPG

jbfNiDhfN1WhiC.JPG

jOZUVTERV0VFx.JPG

j4A1SMUnfKV4H.JPG

Pau

aw shit yea, got some reading material for when my power goes out

300 plus pages of nerdgasm
You chillin' with Sandy too?

Unfortunately I don't have any books with me. :C I feel like books have betrayed me. Lissar, do you have any recommendations for books that are not shitty with gender and how they portray female characters? Everything I've been picking up recently has been utterly terrible on that front. ;-;

dralla

ah power went out for a few hours, back on...for now. started to read 1984 on my Kindle.

how to eat healthy with no power

b84aefc621fa11e28ce622000a9f13a7_7.jpg

:)

oh and my instragram is kinda messed up, I wanna uninstall it, reinstall it, it won't delete all the pictures too will it? the 'hard copies' it saves to my phone, not the ones uploaded to the servers of course

dralla

it was the last jar we had left, I actually had to hide it behind the cashew butter until I took my break so I could buy it. It's the best AB I've ever had, I've got a few empty jars laying around already

Sooo, my friend in Brighton is having a leaving party on Friday. I'm going to a party in Manchester on Saturday.

IS IT BAD THAT I'M THINKING OF SPENDING £62 ON GOING TO BOTH?

I miss Brighton :c

EDIT: Things got a bit...out of hand in the event page for the Brighton thing.

*cough*

I need to calm down >_>

Davedough

You chillin' with Sandy too?

Unfortunately I don't have any books with me. :C I feel like books have betrayed me. Lissar, do you have any recommendations for books that are not shitty with gender and how they portray female characters? Everything I've been picking up recently has been utterly terrible on that front. ;-;

Pau... its not a book that is going to win any awards, but I thoroughly enjoyed it and has a very strong and tasteful female heroine. Written by a woman, so she didn't give the character giant breasts and scantily clad outfits.

Technogenesis by Syne Mitchell.

Basic synopsis: Near future, the Internet is a completely interconnected machine where everyone wears devices that allows them to be plugged in at all times and interact through these digital means. When Jasmine, a top of her class data miner breaks her unit and has to go 2 weeks without one, she begins to notice strange things. Something from behind everyone's mask is watching her.

leadbelly

Banned
WHY MUST PEOPLE LIKE BAD MUSIC AND THEN PLAY IT REALLY LOUD.

I wouldn't mind if it was good BUT IT'S NOT.

lol

You know, my dad would occasionally blast classical music and used to do my fucking head in. As a kid classical music was so uncool and it used to embarrass me when he did it.

leadbelly

Banned
Classical music is, and has always been, the motherfuckin' bomb

Well, I appreciate it more now. When I was a kid though, I was really into hip hop, and certain dance music, etc. It really cramped my style. :/

Edit: The funny thing is, I was actually in a kids orchestra. When I was around 10 - 11 years-old, it was okay, but then I started to hate it and wanted to do everything in my power to get out of doing it. I think my main problem really was that practice was on weekends and on certain week days I would go to lessons after school. for one it meant I missed out on early morning kids TV on weekends, and two, I just wanted to play out with my friends. Of course I started to get embarrassed that I did it as well. I was actually a pretty good musician though.

leadbelly

Banned
Edit: The funny thing is, I was actually in a kids orchestra. When I was around 10 - 11 years-old, it was okay, but then I started to hate it and wanted to do everything in my power to get out of doing it. I think my main problem really was that practice was on weekends and on certain week days I would go to lessons after school. for one it meant I missed out on early morning kids TV on weekends, and two, I just wanted to play out with my friends. Of course I started to get embarrassed that I did it as well. I was actually a pretty good musician though.

lol actually.

Just thought about something else. My tutor also done my fucking head in. There was a lot of musical theory I had to do, but I hated that part of it. Practical was fine, and I was very good at it, but musical theory just felt like extra homework. He punished me for not doing it and put me in what I called at the time 'the retard band'. There was like the proper orchestra and then there was like this small band of kids who weren't quite good enough, still learning, whatever.

Davedough

So since we'll have a 2nd annual Real Pic January, we should get a group of regulars together to plan out avatar activities. Some of the fun last time was everyone doing crazy things with their avatar, like balancing things on their head, etc.

Have a plan in advance of avatar activities for people to participate in for every day of the month.

So since we'll have a 2nd annual Real Pic January, we should get a group of regulars together to plan out avatar activities. Some of the fun last time was everyone doing crazy things with their avatar, like balancing things on their head, etc.

Have a plan in advance of avatar activities for people to participate in for every day of the month.

Does anyone have a list of things you did last time. Would help alot in coming up with ideas since I joined in late.

leadbelly

Banned

Maybe we could do avatars of us standing in interesting places. Leadbelly at the great wall of china. :D

Davedough

Does anyone have a list of things you did last time. Would help alot in coming up with ideas since I joined in late.

No, not a list per se... but for a while, people would wear a tie for a day, or a hat, or they'd have glasses on, and for a little while, we all tried to outdo ourselves by balancing things on our heads, such as beer bottles. One guy, la1n, set things on fire while balancing it on his head but was outdone by doitlive who balanced two wine bottles, upside down in succession, on his head.

It was mostly just silly things that made everyone feel a part of it. And there's time, I was just throwing it out there for people to think about. No need to come up with something right now, plus I've got a hurricane named Sandy blowing me right now.

No, not a list per se... but for a while, people would wear a tie for a day, or a hat, or they'd have glasses on, and for a little while, we all tried to outdo ourselves by balancing things on our heads, such as beer bottles. One guy, la1n, set things on fire while balancing it on his head but was outdone by doitlive who balanced two wine bottles, upside down in succession, on his head.

It was mostly just silly things that made everyone feel a part of it. And there's time, I was just throwing it out there for people to think about. No need to come up with something right now, plus I've got a hurricane named Sandy blowing me right now.

How about that.....I mean avy's standing in bad weather situations

Pau

*shrug* More Ursula Le Guin? I forget, did you read Always Coming Home?
Nope, haven't read it. Why is it so expensive on Amazon though? :( I'll try looking for it in a library around here.
Pau... its not a book that is going to win any awards, but I thoroughly enjoyed it and has a very strong and tasteful female heroine. Written by a woman, so she didn't give the character giant breasts and scantily clad outfits.

Technogenesis by Syne Mitchell.

Basic synopsis: Near future, the Internet is a completely interconnected machine where everyone wears devices that allows them to be plugged in at all times and interact through these digital means. When Jasmine, a top of her class data miner breaks her unit and has to go 2 weeks without one, she begins to notice strange things. Something from behind everyone's mask is watching her.
Thanks for the rec Dave. I'll try to find this one as well, although it looks to be out of print.

Davedough

Nope, haven't read it. Why is it so expensive on Amazon though? :( I'll try looking for it in a library around here.

Thanks for the rec Dave. I'll try to find this one as well, although it looks to be out of print.

Crap. I didn't know it'd gone out of print. It wasn't a best seller or anything, just one I'd found in the Sci-Fi section that fit my current mood at Barnes and Noble.

It appears it's not on Kindle either.

Oh well, I don't have any other strong female character books to recommend, sorry =(

Top Bottom