• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Real-Gaf Community |OT2| Sponsored by Leadbelly the Impaler

leadbelly

Banned

Yeah. Those are good choices.

I dunno why, but I've always had Queen linked with Slade in my mind. Literally no idea why.

Much prefer Slade though.

Also Jim Lea is an awesome bassist.

Also holy shit The Runaways covered this? Awesome

Interesting. The Slade song you picked is very bluesy in style. That is very much what I favour too.

Pau

A Night at the Opera is their best album. And '39 is their best song. For some reason I'm drain more to the ones by Brian May. :O

I never had Queen's first album. Holy shit it is good. :D
My Fairy King and Great King Rat are just so damn good. It makes me a bit angry that these kinds of songs aren't that popular. :C

Animal Crossing get, add me :-*

1478-3803-6229
SAME.

2836 0201 5411

zon

Queen is really good. One of the few bands that you can objectively say were good imo. I'm a very casual listener of their work, anyone mind giving me a list of five songs of theirs I simply have to listen to?

Pau

Queen is really good. One of the few bands that you can objectively say were good imo. I'm a very casual listener of their work, anyone mind giving me a list of five songs of theirs I simply have to listen to?
The awesome thing about Queen is that they have different styles and do them all beautifully. I definitely prefer the epics or Brian May's stuff (which sounds pretty different from that penned/sung by Freddie Mercury).

My top 5:

'39
The Prophet's Song
My Fairy King
Great King Rat
All Dead, All Dead

leadbelly

Banned
The awesome thing about Queen is that they have different styles and do them all beautifully. I definitely prefer the epics or Brian May's stuff (which sounds pretty different from that penned/sung by Freddie Mercury).

Yeah. They've pretty much tried everything from rockabilly to opera. I think their style was a little less mainstream in the 70s than in the 80s though. They made a lot more 'pop' songs in the 80s.

leadbelly

Banned
I'm kind of worried about something.

Having watched all the conferences so far, I've realised that there are quite a few games that are pushing online connectivity. Now, I don't mind multiplayer games as long as it is very much your typical multiplayer experience. By that I mean the battlefields and Team Fortresses of multiplayer games. What developers seem to be pushing now though is a mix of story-driven or single-player type gameplay with a social online experience.

The last game Ubisoft shown in their conference, Tom Clancy's The Division, seems to be very much that type of game. It looks great. The world looks incredibly rich and detailed. The thing is though, the first thing I would want to do in that world is explore it. I like to play a game at my own pace. The problem with having other players with you is that you feel obliged to push on. It's kind of hard to take in the atmosphere and immerse yourself in the game world when you have other people around you constantly speaking to you and asking you to hurry up (lol). Instead of being immersed in that world, you end up being taken out of it.

As we know, the Xbox One is an 'always online' console. For that reason Microsoft will be pushing developers to take advantage of the online connectivity, and I imagine a number of developers will feel compelled to. I just hope it won't be at the expense of good single-player experiences.

leadbelly

Banned
Dude just be happy that we're getting new consoles and one of them appears to be something we can all get behind!

I'm happy about that. :p

Despite the fact Microsoft has had a lot of negative feedback from core gamers, they've pushed on with these restrictions with very few concessions. They even think what they're offering is compelling enough to slap a $500 price tag on the thing. In contrast, Sony has basically said they're not doing any of that, and are selling their console $100 cheaper.

If the Xbox One sells well then it will only get worse. Consumers have the option now to buy a console that doesn't have all these restrictions AND is $100 cheaper. If Microsoft succeeds in the face of such competition, then you can pretty much guarantee there is no way back. Microsoft would just see it as an indication that they can do pretty much whatever they want. Sony would probably follow suit knowing that the consumer doesn't care anyway.

The Xbox One will probably sell fairly well at launch, I just hope that during this generation the PS4 will have a significant impact on those sales.

Fuck you Manchester, I'm out

Also, the Team 17 forums, my first internet community, are shutting down.

Thank fuck for that. Too much embarrassing shit from when I was 14 on there. Nyugh.

Rom1944

Arrg i should not watch E3 game trailers so many good games and so little money, im trying to figure out how to hibernate until total war rome 2 comes out with only brief awakenings to play the last of us.

Davedough

I know I'm late to the discussion, but...

Sony killed it.

Microsoft embarrassed themselves.

gtANNDG.gif

Nintendo, as per their last 20 year business plan, showed off the same regurgitated games with a gimmick thrown in yet again.

I knew going into E3 that I didn't want an XBone and now I really don't want one. Killer Instinct wasn't THAT big of a draw. I was on the fence about about a PS4, but their conference convinced me I need one.

Oh, and Destiny..... HOLY SHIT.

leadbelly

Banned
Oh, and Destiny..... HOLY SHIT.

It looks beautiful, but there wasn't anything gameplay-wise that interested me. It just looked like every other shooter.

I'm not sure what I feel about these next-gen games that seem to wrap single-player and multiplayer up in one huge open-world. A number of developers have stressed that if you want to play it single-player then you can, but does that mean I can just set it up offline so no one invades my space? Not sure you can with games like Destiny.

Not that I wouldn't want to co-op with someone every now and then, it's just that sometimes I like to immerse myself in a world as a form of escape. The immersion of the game could be a little compromised when you have people suddenly passing by and bothering you (lol).

"Get the fuck out of my game world!" *shakes fist!*

Davedough

It looks beautiful, but there wasn't anything gameplay-wise that interested me. It just looked like every other shooter.

I'm not sure what I feel about these next-gen games that seem to wrap single-player and multiplayer up in one huge open-world. A number of developers have stressed that if you want to play it single-player then you can, but does that mean I can just set it up offline so no one invades my space? Not sure you can with games like Destiny.

Not that I wouldn't want to co-op with someone every now and then, it's just that sometimes I like to immerse myself in a world as a form of escape. The immersion of the game could be a little compromised when you have people suddenly passing by and bothering you (lol).

"Get the fuck out of my game world!" *shakes fist!*

I'm not sure about the whole co-op mode or not in Destiny, but it didn't look like any other shooter. The guy leading the pack was labelled a Warlock and clearly had some crowd control spells he was shooting at people. The guy talking during the demo had a few skills that he was pulling out, like the high jump and melee smash from above. I'd be willing to bet there's far more going on than what you saw. The weapons they picked up had stat enhancements on them which would suggest its an RPG Shooter, not just another shooter in general. Think Borderlands, but serious.

leadbelly

Banned
I'm not sure about the whole co-op mode or not in Destiny, but it didn't look like any other shooter. The guy leading the pack was labelled a Warlock and clearly had some crowd control spells he was shooting at people. The guy talking during the demo had a few skills that he was pulling out, like the high jump and melee smash from above. I'd be willing to bet there's far more going on than what you saw. The weapons they picked up had stat enhancements on them which would suggest its an RPG Shooter, not just another shooter in general. Think Borderlands, but serious.

Yeah. It does have a Borderlands vibe to it. Are you talking about the Sony stage presentation or have you seen another playthrough of the game?

Just curious.

Davedough

Yeah. It does have a Borderlands vibe to it. Are you talking about the Sony stage presentation or have you seen another playthrough of the game?

Just curious.

The one from the Sony presser, near the end where the really overexcited guy was going through and met up with two other players and took down the spider tank at the end.

Chuckie

Started playing Demon's Souls.... I am getting my arse kicked... ;_;

I was like: Wow...I see a dragon on a cliff it looks beautiful,...and out of nowhere two zombie soldiers went stab stab stab YOU DIED (for the 8th time)

D: I got some autosave glitch 15 hours into the Last of Us, and only the first 3 hours of my game were saved! Otherwise though the game has been great. Amazing story, beautiful graphics. You guys should play it.

Oh! And I started animal crossing too :D

Acid08

Banned
D: I got some autosave glitch 15 hours into the Last of Us, and only the first 3 hours of my game were saved! Otherwise though the game has been great. Amazing story, beautiful graphics. You guys should play it.

Oh! And I started animal crossing too :D
What's your FC?!

Picked up Fire Emblem today, time to see what all the fuss is about.

leadbelly

Banned
The one from the Sony presser, near the end where the really overexcited guy was going through and met up with two other players and took down the spider tank at the end.

Okay. I kind of felt like I had seen it before. There wasn't an awful lot shown though really. I'm sure there will be more revealed in the coming months.

Started playing Demon's Souls.... I am getting my arse kicked... ;_;

I was like: Wow...I see a dragon on a cliff it looks beautiful,...and out of nowhere two zombie soldiers went stab stab stab YOU DIED (for the 8th time)

Maybe you're going the wrong way. When I first started playing Dark Souls, I went straight to the catacombs thinking that was the only way I could go and got my arse handed to me about 10 times. I would go back to where you was before. You may find there is another way you can go that is easier.

The thing about Dark Souls is, there is very little information given to you during the game. I've found that there is a definite route the developer wants you to go, but there are very few hints on which direction that is exactly. Demon Souls is probably the same.

Going to get The Last of Us some time next week. I can't wait to play it. I'm not sure when I will finish Dark Souls though. I guess I can play both at the same time.

Chuckie

Maybe you're going the wrong way. When I first started playing Dark Souls, I went straight to the catacombs thinking that was the only way I could go and got my arse handed to me about 10 times. I would go back to where you was before. You may find there is another way you can go that is easier.

The thing about Dark Souls is, there is very little information given to you during the game. I've found that there is a definite route the developer wants you to go, but there are very few hints on which direction that is exactly. Demon Souls is probably the same.

No, I was just not paying attention. I got killed by silly zombie soldiers, not some demon knight. Shit like this happens to me all the time.
Also the last time I ever listen to my wife when playing a game. I went down the valley with the dragons on the cliff.... I said..fuck this I am leaving...never mind the treasure. She said: Maybe you can walk close to the cliff, so the dragon doesn't see you. So I do just that....dragon turns its head....woooooosh... YOU DIED

Anyway, I avoided the dragons and killed my first big demon :D

Btw I am playing Demon's Souls, not Dark Souls

Davedough

I saw Man of Steel on Saturday. I'm just here to say, I fucking loved it.

PLOT SPOILERS AHEAD. DONT CLICK IF YOU DONT KNOW WHAT HAPPENS
I did kind of feel like they went against Superman's basic moral fiber by allowing buildings to be crushed and debris to fall without any concern for people in the streets and then him breaking Zod's neck at the end, but I got over it after thinking about the new, more tragic direction they're taking his story and appreciated the movie for that.

.la1n

Man of Steel tbqh was not a good movie, not worth the price of admission either. Only redeemable quality for me were the action sequences. The entire setup at the beginning dragged on for much longer than it deserved to and came off overly silly. The pacing of the film was a choppy mess. Even the aforementioned redeemable action sequences had pointless zoom and focus issues. Zach Snyder couldn't even get the one thing he is good at right this time.

Zod was not a good villian despite Michael Shannon's ability to go full bat shit insane, though that never shows through, probably thanks to David S. Goyer aka the master of shit scripts. The wait continues for me to see if anyone will ever get Superman right outside of cartoons and comics.

I will give it this, it was better than Superman Returns :\

edit: oh and I cannot believe that all the crap they wanted Kevin Smith to put in his Superman script that he complained about actually ended up in this movie. Shit Hollywood, get it together.

No, I was just not paying attention. I got killed by silly zombie soldiers, not some demon knight. Shit like this happens to me all the time.
Also the last time I ever listen to my wife when playing a game. I went down the valley with the dragons on the cliff.... I said..fuck this I am leaving...never mind the treasure. She said: Maybe you can walk close to the cliff, so the dragon doesn't see you. So I do just that....dragon turns its head....woooooosh... YOU DIED

Anyway, I avoided the dragons and killed my first big demon :D

Btw I am playing Demon's Souls, not Dark Souls

Haha I know the part you are talking about, don't worry I did the same thing on my first play through. In my case it was my own stupidity that thought I would be safe creeping along the side of the cliff.

Davedough

Man of Steel tbqh was not a good movie, not worth the price of admission either. Only redeemable quality for me were the action sequences. The entire setup at the beginning dragged on for much longer than it deserved to and came off overly silly. The pacing of the film was a choppy mess. Even the aforementioned redeemable action sequences had pointless zoom and focus issues. Zach Snyder couldn't even get the one thing he is good at right this time.

Zod was not a good villian despite Michael Shannon's ability to go full bat shit insane, though that never shows through, probably thanks to David S. Goyer aka the master of shit scripts. The wait continues for me to see if anyone will ever get Superman right outside of cartoons and comics.

I will give it this, it was better than Superman Returns :\

edit: oh and I cannot believe that all the crap they wanted Kevin Smith to put in his Superman script that he complained about actually ended up in this movie. Shit Hollywood, get it together.

Haha I know the part you are talking about, don't worry I did the same thing on my first play through. In my case it was my own stupidity that thought I would be safe creeping along the side of the cliff.

None of this, I agree with. Remind me not to invite you over for movie night... wet blanket.

.la1n

That games drops next week. Am I the only one that thinks its going to be horrible?

No you aren't alone, I feel the same and I am a huge Deadpool fan. Just not a lot of faith in the studio developing it nor in what I have seen of it so far.

Davedough

No you aren't alone, I feel the same and I am a huge Deadpool fan. Just not a lot of faith in the studio developing it nor in what I have seen of it so far.

My prediction is a generic slasher/shooter with a bunch of fart jokes that end up repeating within the first hour. Story will be contrived and loosely based on some origin story but ultimately lack any real substance.

Top Bottom