• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Dude Abides

Banned
schennmu said:
Sounds like a huge, even oscar worthy achievement!

Chandoog works for the greater good, I will appreciate that ;)

First they bribed the New York Times, now some Swedish magazine! They really have all their bases covered don't they?

DoctorWho said:
You stay home due to rain? :lol At my work you'd be shitcanned for that.

My co-worker just got killed by working in the rain. Fell on a live third rail with soaked clothes on. Working in the rain sucks big time.

I was watching some streams, and I kept on thinking on how this could make an awesome ass RPG if they just added a skill tree. There is already some looting.

perineumlick said:

My co-worker just got killed by working in the rain. Fell on a live third rail with soaked clothes on. Working in the rain sucks big time.

Well, that's just depressing. :(

So sorry.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I honestly couldn't care less about reviews when it comes to this game. The random shit is what has got me picking it up. There are certain publishers/games/sites that I just don't trust when it comes to reviews and honestly. Especially after the GTA junk. Rockstar is one of them. They are low down, dirty players when it comes to control over their games and how they are reviewed. To the point where any of them are completely worthless.

Hanmik

Danish Gamereactor gave it 10/10 also.. at least that´s what the users on gamereactor.dk are saying. One guy got hold of the magazine and read the review..!

Will try to get some details out of him...
I have a horse and a traintrack with his name on it, if he does not spill the beans..

NHale

Dude Abides said:
First they bribed the New York Times, now some Swedish magazine! They really have all their bases covered don't they?

Why do you say that? People don't need to respect the huge achievement that is Red Dead Redemption, do they?

Dude Abides said:

It's just funny that all the reviews sound like they were written by Hilary Goldstein!

Barrett2

Zeliard said:
There are apparently fewer story missions than GTAIV, but more side missions that you can go off and do. So if you're just intent on finishing the story and not much more, it probably isn't relatively long, but as any open-world game, end-times will vary wildly with everyone who plays.

A good portion may never even finish the game, content to mostly just run around and hunt animals or get in gunfights with bandits. A lot of it will also depend on how players choose to travel around - fast traveling all over the place will cut down on your playing time greatly, but it'll probably keep you from finding other distractions in the game world.

This is great news for me. I found in previous GTAs, especially 4, the story missions got less and less interesting as the story progresses, after a while it feels like work. I welcome less story missions in favor of more offbeat or side-mission stuff. Awesome.

schennmu said:
Sounds like a huge, even oscar worthy achievement!

:lol

Yeah, it's probably like GTA all over again: that thing is surely coming from someone that has these books on the shelf: Lord of the rings, Mass effect novels, Dexter novel, Ice and Fire trilogy, World War Z, Superman And The Legion Of Super-Heroes, Spiderman Collection, D&D manuals and.. (looking at wikipedia, one sec) Dark Tower the gunslinger born.

And a couple of Dvds too: Lost season 1 to 5, Lord of the rings trilogy, Star Wars deluxe edition, Battlestar Galactica Boxset and ..... Dust.

If you ask him to make a picture of his shelf, a taco with extra sauce and a cherry milkshake will proudly appear next to the stuff.

"hey.. oscar worthy plot".

Actually, now that i think about it... considering the plots of recent pre-eastwood oscar movies... he can be right.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
lawblob said:
This is great news for me. I found in previous GTAs, especially 4, the story missions got less and less interesting as the story progresses, after a while it feels like work. I welcome less story missions in favor of more offbeat or side-mission stuff. Awesome.

Better yet, the side-missions are more interesting than the side-missions you got in GTA IV.

not to mention you've got no cousin calling you every 5 goddamned minutes to hang out

Timekiller said:
No, you see, it's probably like GTA all over again: that thing is surely coming from someone that has these books on the shelf: Lord of the rings, Mass effect novels, Dexter novel, Ice and Fire trilogy, World War Z, Superman And The Legion Of Super-Heroes, Spiderman Collection, D&D manuals and.. (looking at wikipedia, one sec) Dark Tower the gunslinger born.

And a couple of Dvds too: Lost season 1 to 5, Lord of the rings trilogy, Star Wars deluxe edition, Battlestar Galactica Boxset and ..... Dust.

If you ask him to make a picture of his shelf, a taco with extra sauce and a cherry milkshake will proudly appear next to the stuff.

"hey.. oscar worty plot".

Actually, now that i think about it... considering the plots of recent pre-eastwood oscar movies... he can be right.

So you're saying it doesn't take much to be Oscar-worthy these days? Couldn't agree more to be quite honest.

neorej said:
Better yet, the side-missions are more interesting than the side-missions you got in GTA IV.

not to mention you've got no cousin calling you every 5 goddamned minutes to hang out

I'm so glad cellphones haven't been invented in this game and that's why I hope the next GTA is set in the 70s. I hated those goddamned phone calls.

Dynamic3

LabouredSubterfuge said:
So you're saying it doesn't take much to be Oscar-worthy these days? Couldn't agree more to be quite honest.

If you make one more post with 'Oscar worthy' in it I'm going to throw up. It's beyond played out at this point.

Timekiller said:

Yeah, it's probably like GTA all over again: that thing is surely coming from someone that has these books on the shelf: Lord of the rings, Mass effect novels, Dexter novel, Ice and Fire trilogy, World War Z, Superman And The Legion Of Super-Heroes, Spiderman Collection, D&D manuals and.. (looking at wikipedia, one sec) Dark Tower the gunslinger born.

"hey.. oscar worthy plot".

:lol That's sounds pretty genre transcending if you ask me!

Artex

Banned
DoctorWho said:
I'm so glad cellphones haven't been invented in this game and that's why I hope the next GTA is set in the 70s. I hated those goddamned phone calls.

I think AGENT takes place in the '70's, actually.

LabouredSubterfuge said:

This, plus other facts i won't tell just to avoid being boring but... plot and characters apart, that could be actually good - i still don't know for sure, i just played a bit with a review copy - i just love the nerdy excitement some reviewers get each time they are promoted by their edito in chief to review a Rockstar game. If you compare the susual plots to recent oscr movie, it IS oscar worthy. Now, stop comparing, or if you're going to compare to the really good stuff you'll find really how good that is :D

Plus, who cares - living into the countless miles of country, that will probably be a real pleasure.

I'm fucking excited. Sucks I have to work the midnight release for this and Alan Wake tonight. But then I also get to take them both home tonight SQUUEEE! :D. But hey I think the employee discount makes it worth it :p

Hey guys, quick question:

MY wife usually likes to watch me play games, but HATES R* games (mainly GTA) because of the portrayal of women and hookers blah, blah, blah

Anything like that in here? Thanks

DevilWillcry said:
I'm fucking excited. Sucks I have to work the midnight release for this and Alan Wake tonight. But then I also get to take them both home tonight SQUUEEE! :D. But hey I think the employee discount makes it worth it :p

Gamestop employee? I thought you guys could just "rent" new games?

Guevara said:

Yeah, look:

FALLOUT 3 review of the same newspaper.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/10/arts/television/10fall.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=fallout 3&st=Search

In a single-player game you can become the king or the galactic emperor or the metropolis’s undisputed gang leader or whatever other supreme figure suits the setting because there are no other players for the designer to balance the game for. By contrast, in a multiplayer game you can’t have thousands of kings running around; within the fiction the players have to all be at a less exalted level. (In Lord of the Rings Online you can’t play as Gandalf; instead you are one of many adventurers running missions for Gandalf.)

What did i say?

6 lines only and he managed to make references to: kings, galactic emperors, gang leaders, more kings, lord of the rings PLUS gandalf x2.

This underlines my previous posts. The guy has the same stuff on the shelf, probably more deluxe editions as the newspapers pay a lot more. :lol
A whole lot of love for those newspapers game reviewers.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
KittyKittyBangBang said:

MY wife usually likes to watch me play games, but HATES R* games (mainly GTA) because of the portrayal of women and hookers blah, blah, blah

Well the times article mentions there is sexism, it is early 1900's and occasions where you deal with raped victims.

So yeah id wager rockstar dont shy away from the realities of the time.

JambiBum

KittyKittyBangBang said:

Most of the women you will run into are whores in the game. Although there are a few nuns and regular women scattered around. Gotta think about the time period.

Seanspeed

Banned
KittyKittyBangBang said:

There is hookers in the old west, if thats what you're asking. Pretty sure you dont have to kill them if you dont want to. :D

Ledsen said:
- Writer is a western fan and says Marston feels like a classic John Wayne-type hero

Nice, it's good to know that the hero will actually feel like a hero and not just the standard "shades of gray." Variety is nice, but its fun to play a legit hero now and then.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
I really wish i could get more hyped for this game, on paper it suits me perfectly but i couldnt help but feel let down by the streams i saw :(

K' Dash

KittyKittyBangBang said:

There are protitutes, but Marston
is married, so he politely declines any offers
, aside from that, as far as I am, you're pretty safe.

Mr Cola said:
Well the times article mentions there is sexism, it is early 1900's and occasions where you deal with raped victims.

So yeah id wager rockstar dont shy away from the realities of the time.

Aslo i hope your wife is not a first nations person, you know Rockstar didn't feel like showing the whole story here. Everyone's just walking around with a pocket clock.

Mhh, i suddenly feel the urge to listen to some FUGAZI:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM75UbtGyh8&feature=related

Hi-tekk

Neo Member
Magnus said:
The differences in framerate made the decision for me, but I guess I'm pretty anal when it comes to that particular thing.

So Magnus does that mean that you've pretty much settled on the 360 version? Also for a casual gamer such as myself, would framerate be that noticeable? Trust me im not a framerate snob. I kinda feel if the game looks good, it looks good.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
so yeah..

Amazon said:
Shipping Soon We are preparing these items for shipment and this portion of your order cannot be canceled or changed.

Items Ordered Price
1 of: Red Dead Redemption [Video Game]
Condition: New
Sold by: Amazon.com, LLC
$56.99
Amazon Prime: Release-Date Delivery is free

Item(s) Subtotal: $56.99
Shipping & Handling: $0.00
Promotion Applied: -$10.00
Promotion Applied: -$10.00
-----
Total Before Tax: $36.99
Sales tax: $3.28
-----
Total for this Shipment: $40.27

:D :D

Hanmik

NHale said:
It seems Eurogamer gave it an 8. Review is not uploaded but the review page is...

http://www.eurogamer.net/archive.php?type=review&sort=reversechrono&platform=

PS - Should the rage start now or wait for the text of the review?

EDIT: Link for the review - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/red-dead-redemption-review

The result is an exceptional Rockstar game, one that successfully re-clothes the Grand Theft Auto framework in an exciting, distinct and expertly realised scenario. But just how satisfying the formula remains after the exuberant destructiveness of Red Faction: Guerrilla, or the joyful, ad-hoc player stories born in the freedom of Just Cause 2's playpen, is increasingly under scrutiny. And even within Rockstar's own canon, there is little here for that smart young journalist to inform Liberty City about that it didn't already know. A magnificent eight, then.

that is the end paragraph from the Eurogamer review..

Top Bottom