• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Artex

Banned
Is Hilary doing the IGN review?

ac4uwj_th.jpg

Cynamite.de: 9.5/10
Games Aktuell (print): 92%
Gamepro (GER): 95%

Technical differences (as noted in the reviews)

- colors more saturated in the 360 version (Gamepro)
- less texture pop in in the 360 version (Gamepro)
- heavy framerate drops in the PS3 version (Cynamite)
- small framerate dips in the 360 version (Cynamite)

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
NHale said:
It seems Eurogamer gave it an 8. Review is not uploaded but the review page is...

http://www.eurogamer.net/archive.php?type=review&sort=reversechrono&platform=

PS - Should the rage start now or wait for the text of the review?

EDIT: Link for the review - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/red-dead-redemption-review

:lol

Fucking eurogamer. Did they give the game to the same girl who reviewed alan wake who said she gets as much of an emotional response from games as a coathanger?

Zeliard

Hanmik said:
Bad:
- Long journey times

I kind of appreciate that. It gives a game world a larger sense of scale and immersion, which in this case fits perfectly with the old west on horseback. I'm a patient guy though, so I can understand how those with ADD would be annoyed.

dread9

Banned
KittyKittyBangBang said:
Hey guys, quick question:

MY wife usually likes to watch me play games, but HATES R* games (mainly GTA) because of the portrayal of women and hookers blah, blah, blah

Anything like that in here? Thanks

Lmao you didnt see the nun video previously posted?

FrankT

Big Ass Ramp said:
What score did they give? The spoiler thing doesn't work with my phone.

Fortinbras said:
Cynamite.de: 9.5/10
Games Aktuell (print): 92%
Gamepro (GER): 95%

Technical differences (as noted in the reviews)

- colors more saturated in the 360 version (Gamepro)
- less texture pop in in the 360 version (Gamepro)
- heavy framerate drops in the PS3 version (Cynamite)
- small framerate dips in the 360 version (Cynamite)

Can handle that.

TxdoHawk

Rapping Granny said:
I was watching some streams, and I kept on thinking on how this could make an awesome ass RPG if they just added a skill tree. There is already some looting.

An addition like that could be awesome, but I think it'd have to be based on a game aiming for a little less realism. Dead Eye is probably as zany as it gets as far as John's skills, but that can be explained away somewhat with quick reflexes, the rest of it (like how he can pull triggers so fast repeatedly) a gameplay consideration.

A somewhat "goofier" game though, you could have a lot of fun with a skill tree. The revealed Social Club cheat where bullets set enemies on fire comes to mind, plenty of other ideas I'm sure.

Zeliard said:
There are apparently fewer story missions than GTAIV, but more side missions that you can go off and do. So if you're just intent on finishing the story and not much more, it probably isn't relatively long, but as any open-world game, end-times will vary wildly with everyone who plays.

There's also the consideration of multiplayer...GTA4 had me plenty distracted with that, I think the leveling and much better free roam will wind up doing the exact same thing to many people in this. I know I personally intend to jump online as soon as I get a few story missions down, enough to get past the tutorials and get a good handle on the controls.

neorej said:
not to mention you've got no cousin calling you every 5 goddamned minutes to hang out

COUSIN LET US GO TO SALOON BIG MEXICAN TITTIES

Hanmik said:
Gamereactor.dk 10/10

Bad:
- Long journey times

DoctorWho said:
I'm actually looking forward to this. :D

yes, but in an age where people have to beat a game as fast as possible to play the next game on their list, this is gonna be a real travesty for some people... like wind waker and the boat trips. :lol

though, this doesnt even make any sense as a complaint since you can fast-travel almost everywhere, right?

thecouncil said:
yes, but in an age where people have to beat a game as fast as possible to play the next game on their list, this is gonna be a real travesty for some people... like wind waker and the boat trips. :lol

though, this doesnt even make any sense as a complaint since you can fast-travel almost everywhere, right?

Yeah, there are a lot of games coming down the pipe (including Alan Wake on the same day) but it wouldn't feel like a western without the long treks through the wild west.

thecouncil said:

Exactly, I think mostly the "long journey times" are going to be optional.

theluma said:

10 Gameplay
The West keeps on giving well beyond the completion of the campaign – unlocking all of its secrets could well be a lifetime's work.

10 Lasting Appeal
The West keeps on giving well beyond the completion of the campaign – unlocking all of its secrets could well be a lifetime's work.

looks like a Rockstar owned android wrote that. he should have said "a human lifetime like yours" :lol

NHale

Jtyettis said:
Brudvig I think.

Blargh. It's still better than Hilary or Greg Miller but IGN's clearly lacks on this department. Yes I know, news at 11...

Zeliard said:
That's about as hard an 8 as you can get, though. The score is ultimately pointless. Just read the review. It's pretty glowing, overall.

I read the review and I feel that the score fits the review, so I'm okay with it.

midwestern_stylings said:
PS3........PHEW! (lol)

The Eurogamer review is for PS3 and X360. So better luck next time.

Dabanton

I don't know what's sadder people who meltdown over numbers or the people who are waiting for the people who meltdown over numbers to have a meltdown.

Hanmik

ahh.. Gamereactor.eu has an english review here..

http://www.gamereactor.eu/reviews/3704/Red+Dead+Redemption/?sid=6c84c74cc431c35649b68fe3dfc40b96

10/10 it´s still only the swedish review translated..!

As I close down my former colleagues, I realise that Red Dead Redemption ranks among the best games I have ever played. It combines hard to balance elements such as freedom, with a magnificent story, brutal action and things that border role playing. The story grabs me by the throat and won't let go, while I'm still in full control of creating my own western tale, all while my resentment towards the powers who force Marston into his crusade grows to full blown hatred.

Red Dead Redemption is a feel good western at its absolute best and when the credits roll after about 30 hours (without anywhere near all the things you can do) I'm close to applying for a green card, get myself a ranch somewhere in Arkansas with a dozen or so of Black Angus, and start a new career out west.

englishbob

Neo Member
Never liked any IGN review I've ever read, couldn't give a toss what they give any game TBH. And they review every game 3 times between their different regions which is bloody pointless.

I'll wait for the GameTrailers review, at least you actually get to see the game.

NHale

englishbob said:
Never liked any IGN review I've ever read, couldn't give a toss what they give any game TBH. And they review every game 3 times between their different regions which is bloody pointless.

I'll wait for the GameTrailers review, at least you actually get to see the game.

And in some cases you even see major spoilers of the game in the review.

Prine

Banned
Big Ass Ramp said:

Fucking eurogamer. Did they give the game to the same girl who reviewed alan wake who said she gets as much of an emotional response from games as a coathanger?

Lord, don't tell me they gave her another one??!! PLaying through AW its quite evident she's not someone you should listen to.

Edit: No its someone else :lol Phew, i'm reading the review now.

Gravijah

Timekiller said:
10 Gameplay

10 Lasting Appeal

looks like a Rockstar owned android wrote that. he should have said "a human lifetime like yours" :lol

I bet the person who wrote that has Mass Effect novels, World War Z, Dexter novels and D&D manuals on his bookshelf.

Interesting that Eurogamer said that Just Cause 2 and RF:G 'challenged' RDR, given they gave JC an 8 and RF a 7...

But really? Who cares about reviews..

IGN said:
t's a much more nuanced system than what's gone before it – wear a bandana while committing a crime and you'll be granted some animosity, while having a high honour or fame status means that petty crimes will often go unpunished.

lol

Big Ass Ramp said:

A coat hanger can be a very emotional if you use it to de-pregnantfy yourself.

Halcyon

I've been kinda ignoring this game because I'm not huge into sandbox/or GTA specifically, but I started reading The Gunslinger and now I kinda want to play this game. Might have to go out tomorrow and rent it.

Does anybody know how the soundtrack is?

MarshMellow96 said:
Interesting that Eurogamer said that Just Cause 2 and RF:G 'challenged' RDR, given they gave JC an 8 and RF a 7...

But really? Who cares about reviews..

What shocked me about the Eurogamer review is that it read like a 10 and then I scrolled down and saw 8. My brain backflipped.

The only thing Parkin said he didn't like is traversing the same environment over again (which happens in every open world game) and that he felt like the cover system was a bit sticky. He also doesn't include MP into the equation (for obvious reasons I guess). The fact that he cites JC2 and RF:G is bizarre as they are games that I found to be utterly empty and souless despite their technical achievements.

Very confusing but what the hell, it's not going to affect my enjoyment one iota.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Beaulieu said:
Really interesting review, but I'm disapointed that he's not talking at all about the multiplayer experience.

They explained why at the end. Basically, in their version, it wasn't available. This is Rockstar, remember? Complete control.

These reviews are really grabbing my attention. This is a must-buy, now.

I'll wait to see if PC version happens, as I can't afford it full price, but I expect I may cave in and buy it quite quickly if the price drops for one of my consoles. :lol

Top Bottom