• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

painey

MarshMellow96 said:
Interesting that Eurogamer said that Just Cause 2 and RF:G 'challenged' RDR, given they gave JC an 8 and RF a 7...

But really? Who cares about reviews..

It mentioned specifics, not the games overall.. therefore totally valid comparisons.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
Dabanton said:
I don't know what's sadder people who meltdown over numbers or the people who are waiting for the people who meltdown over numbers to have a meltdown.

where does that leave you?

HalcyonTB12 said:
I've been kinda ignoring this game because I'm not huge into sandbox/or GTA specifically, but I started reading The Gunslinger and now I kinda want to play this game. Might have to go out tomorrow and rent it.

Does anybody know how the soundtrack is?

I agree with you. I do not like GTA but the premise of RDR won me over.

Here's the link to preview the soundtrack:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003LVX7JG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Beaulieu

Kintaro said:
They explained why at the end. Basically, in their version, it wasn't available. This is Rockstar, remember? Complete control.

Oh I didnt see that note at the end, why do they put that below the score lol.
thanks

Prine

Banned
I think we can safely say, Rockstar are among the best developers in the industry, ever since GTA3 they've consistently (ok forget state of emergency) put out AAA games. For consoles and handhelds.

I cannot wait for this, awkwardly being released in UK on a Monday. Ash cloud??

Prine said:
I think we can safely say, Rockstar are among the best developers in the industry, ever since GTA3 they've consistently (ok forget state of emergency) put out AAA games. For consoles and handhelds.

I cannot wait for this, awkwardly being released in UK on a Monday. Ash cloud??

I would think the games would already be in the country no???.

Dabanton said:
I don't know what's sadder people who meltdown over numbers or the people who are waiting for the people who meltdown over numbers to have a meltdown.

I'm waiting for the people who are waiting for the people who meltdown over numbers to have a meltdown.

Pooya

Jtones said:
Hmm, is it me or have all the discussions about the difference between the PS3 and 360 version gone away? :lol
there.
Fortinbras said:
Technical differences (as noted in the reviews)

- colors more saturated in the 360 version (Gamepro)
- less texture pop in in the 360 version (Gamepro)
- heavy framerate drops in the PS3 version (Cynamite)
- small framerate dips in the 360 version (Cynamite)

Zeliard

Nobody would be taking issue with Eurogamer if they read the actual review. Nearly the entire thing praises the game, and even when the reviewer brings up criticisms towards the end, he buffers those some by reiterating RDR's strengths.

What does the score really matter in the end? It's a very positive review, and I don't know why anyone would care, but it's unlikely to affect the end Metacritic score either.

Stepping away from the review hype for a moment, anyone reading in Toronto, with copies waiting at EB/Gamestop, are in for a disappointing evening: I spoke with the downtown shops and learned that there's no midnight launches planned for the city.

Tuesday morning it is, then.

DoctorWho said:
Yeah, there are a lot of games coming down the pipe (including Alan Wake on the same day) but it wouldn't feel like a western without the long treks through the wild west.

i agree completely.

FrankT

themadcowtipper said:
Blocked at work post the pros and cons...

9.5 Presentation
A powerful story and remarkable characters. Tons of depth, but it doesn't quite have the perfect polish that most Rockstar games exhibit.
9.5 Graphics
A few visual hiccups are the only downside to this incredible looking game. Fantastic art direction.
10 Sound
Superb voice acting and a wonderful soundtrack.
9.5 Gameplay
Great variety, great combat, and a great multiplayer mode.
10 Lasting Appeal
Online or off, there are more than enough excellent reasons to keep coming back.
OVERALL Incredible
(out of 10)

GreekWolf

Bossman said:
Eurogamer gave GTA 4 10/10 so I think 8/10 from them is a bit low.
Hindsight probably left them a bit burned after the resulting GTA backlash. I fully expected them to play it safe with the next Rockstar title.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Uh oh...IGN delays PS3 review of RDR:

Some of you may be waiting with much anticipation for Rockstar's next game, Red Dead Redemption. It comes out this week and if you'd like an early verdict on it, make sure you read our review of the Xbox 360 version. Unfortunately. Rockstar was unable to provide us with a copy of the PS3 edition of Red Dead Redemption early and so we've had to delay that review until we get a chance to take it for a spin.

That should happen shortly, so check back soon for the verdict. Until then, hold your horses. Get it?

Good to hear we're getting a separate review at least.

Jtyettis said:
9.5 Presentation
A powerful story and remarkable characters. Tons of depth, but it doesn't quite have the perfect polish that most Rockstar games exhibit.
9.5 Graphics
A few visual hiccups are the only downside to this incredible looking game. Fantastic art direction.
10 Sound
Superb voice acting and a wonderful soundtrack.
9.5 Gameplay
Great variety, great combat, and a great multiplayer mode.
10 Lasting Appeal
Online or off, there are more than enough excellent reasons to keep coming back.
OVERALL Incredible
(out of 10)

Well if IGN says so...

o_O

Do people REALLY need a number attached to this in order to justify purchasing it?

It's fucking RockStar and it's fucking cowboys.

??

Dorfdad

Gold Member
tired of the old questions so here is a new one..

How are the controls on the Wii? I can't wait to try out the mini games horsehoes, lasso, quick drawing, and more on the Wii..

Also how hard are the indians you face?

DMeisterJ

Banned
chubigans said:
Uh oh...IGN delays PS3 review of RDR:

Good to hear we're getting a separate review at least.

Oh well. Just pre-ordered the PS3 version ten minutes ago, so I guess I'll find out at midnight if I've been had or not.

NG28

Slightly OT:
Are we supposed to get that $20 credit from amazon immediately after pre-ordering? All I got was $5 for MP3's.

DeadGzuz

Banned
GreekWolf said:
Hindsight probably left them a bit burned after the resulting GTA backlash. I fully expected them to play it safe with the next Rockstar title.

I would hope everyone does this, but so far it does not look like it.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Meus Renaissance said:
Will there ever be a game to receive 10/10 from every damn source? Could there be one to even win over the haters and doubters?

DNF Bitches !

Eric WK

NG28 said:
Slightly OT:
Are we supposed to get that $20 credit from amazon immediately after pre-ordering? All I got was $5 for MP3's.

Within 48 hours of when the game ships. Why would they give you a gift card when you can still cancel the order?

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
Meus Renaissance said:
Will there ever be a game to receive 10/10 from every damn source? Could there be one to even win over the haters and doubters?

GTA4 and Ocarina of Time came pretty damn close.

NG28

Eric WK said:
Within 48 hours of when the game ships. Why would they give you a gift card when you can still cancel the order?
I dunno, I'm just wondering where this $5 thing came from. It confused me.

Ledsen

Eurogamer is the only online source I give any credit to, and their review was refreshingly critical when compared to all the hyperbole from other sources. They also scored RDR the same as Far Cry 2 (one of my favourite games), so I'm good :D

Top Bottom