• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

So I picked up the game this morning from a mom&pop store and I have to say, so far the game is great. I haven't gotten very far but it captures the whole Western vibe perfectly. It feels much more atmospheric than GTAIV ever did but I have a feeling it's just the setting and all that, that makes it feel more "alive" or whatever the term is I'm thinking of. It just feels very authentic.

I played a bit of multiplayer but got kicked out of a couple sessions, seems to have network issues or something else is going on. Won't let me reconnect.

rdrt.jpg

Not a very good picture from my iphone. I have 360 version.

Okay nevermind, just restarted my Xbox and now I can join multiplayer again.

The game seems to have a few bugs so far. I ran into a hard freeze when I was looking at the main menu and the Rockstar Social Club stuff, had to restart. Then, one mission I was on messed up with the Marshal getting stuck and just stopping somewhere without moving, and I ran away and failed the mission. Now this multiplayer thing which restarting fixed. Oh well, back to trying stuff out now!

So how's the checkpoint system in this game?

One of my least favorite things about GTA is that when you die on a mission you get sent back to before you even accepted it and that you have to repeat the whole process over again.

It's not like that in Red Dead is it?

sflufan

Banned
TenshiOni said:
So how's the checkpoint system in this game?

One of my least favorite things about GTA is that when you die on a mission you get sent back to before you even accepted it and that you have to repeat the whole process over again.

It's not like that in Red Dead is it?

I suggest you read a few posts up for your answer!

Dresden

Just plopped down some cash for midnight release. Will spend all night playing. :D

Also, I always find it hard to be brutal in sandbox games. I'll probably be a goody-two-shoes kinda guy, just saving people and shit. Although I'll explode someone on the railroad tracks just for lulz.

dread9

Banned
Gravijah said:
How about Sony with DREs?

Really bad, but not nearly as bad. Plus, Sony deserved more shit too. I'm talking about the standard overall and it applies to just about every company who asks for more than they put in.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Man, now that I look at that GameStop trade-in list, I'm re-evaluating what I'm gonna do. I have four of the games on that list (LBP GOTY, SSF4, Demon's Souls, and Dynasty Warriors Strikeforce), but out of those four, LBP is the only one I really want to get rid of...but it'd be so nice to get the game at midnight, and the GameStop Limited Edition at that.

Choices, choices...

Zeliard

JBuccCP said:
Also on the checkpoints it's not like the GTA expansions where it plops you back in the world and asks if you want to retry. When you die it just reloads automatically at the last checkpoint like a good checkpoint system should.

Well, GTAIV did that purposefully to allow you to restock on ammo and armor before retrying the checkpoint, or go off and mess around a bit. I actually liked that about it, but I can understand why some would just want to jump back in right away.

The expansions do checkpoints really well. Ballad of Gay Tony actually has multiple mid-mission checkpoints depending on the mission, not just one - not sure if it's the same with Lost & Damned, but probably.

FrankT

Please tell me they are not using GS servers for the 360 version. Why in the world would they do that. I know it has GS on the back, but what for?

Seraphis Cain said:
Man, now that I look at that GameStop trade-in list, I'm re-evaluating what I'm gonna do. I have four of the games on that list (LBP GOTY, SSF4, Demon's Souls, and Dynasty Warriors Strikeforce), but out of those four, LBP is the only one I really want to get rid of...but it'd be so nice to get the game at midnight, and the GameStop Limited Edition at that.

Choices, choices...

Don't even joke about getting rid of Demon's Souls. You know you'll be buying it back one day.

Dresden said:
Just plopped down some cash for midnight release. Will spend all night playing. :D

Also, I always find it hard to be brutal in sandbox games. I'll probably be a goody-two-shoes kinda guy, just saving people and shit. Although I'll explode someone on the railroad tracks just for lulz.

Does this game let you make choices in the story, or is it just like GTA where you can kill randoms if you want? I'd love it if this game lets me play as a total outlaw.

Whoompthereitis said:
Don't even joke about getting rid of Demon's Souls. You know you'll be buying it back one day.

Yeah, I wouldn't part with Demon's Souls even though I've not played it in months. It will eventually draw me back in.

Well I'm pretty much done with this thread until Friday when I finally get to own this slice of perfection. I won't be able to stand all you cocksuckers playing to your heart's content whilst I'm forced to toil away on lil' old Alan Wake. Happy hunting gentlemen, until then...

*trots off into the horizon*

Zeliard

MacBosse said:
Holy hell the draw distance!

Yeah, it's nice, though they also had to put some emphasis on draw distance due to the enormous rural landscapes. You have to naturally be able to see off into the horizon with little pop-in or else you lose a lot of the sense of place.

They nailed the environments. The game is simply gorgeous.

Jtyettis said:
Please tell me they are not using GS servers for the 360 version. Why in the world would they do that. I know it has GS on the back, but what for?
I saw this over on the Something Awful Read Dead thread.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3305102&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=7#post376937234
I worked on this game when I was with GameSpy and you guys will have a blast with it. I wasn't able to say much before and I won't give away anything now either but it is an awesome game. GameSpy handled all the stat/leaderboard tracking for this game, including the social club stuff.
I guess that would explain why the 360 version uses GameSpy

so other people want poker and other minigames in free roam too, not just me?

take note, Rockstar lurkers!

patch that shit in at some point, because we want our non-shooting multiplayer gameplay!

also MLAA for PS3 plz lol.

Tr4nce

The sky in this game looks so real and awesome. I really love it when skies are so beautiful in video games. Can't wait to go out on foot, under a clear starry night sky! WOOHOO.

ReBurn

Gold Member
dread9 said:
Really bad, but not nearly as bad. Plus, Sony deserved more shit too. I'm talking about the standard overall and it applies to just about every company who asks for more than they put in.
Ugh! How can you guys go on about this crap. The only dead horses we need to be beating are the ones in the game we're supposed to be talking about in this thread. I'm sure if your butt hurts bad enough about RROD or DRE's or whatever there's bound to be some other GAF thread you can resurrect.

kiun

MortalMonkey said:
Did anyone pick up the Gamestop edition yet? I'm just curios as to what the physical package looks like. It's supposed to be unique I gather.

I'm a sucker for special edition. For those who have their game already, does it come with a special slipcase ?

oops: i guess not

let me preface my comment on IGN by saying that I think red dead looks REALLY good and I can't wait to play it.

but I have to point out that the glowing language IGN is using for RDR sounds very similar to their GTA4 review, which was one of the most intellectually dishonest reviews and scores in history.

Tr4nce said:
The sky in this game looks so real and awesome. I really love it when skies are so beautiful in video games. Can't wait to go out on foot, under a clear starry night sky! WOOHOO.

ohhhh shit, you think exactly like me! add me on PSN. we can go on a walk together to look at the stars. ;D

GTAIV's skies... such a disappointment, just a huge gray canvas with barely any visible stars at night :( and the clouds during daytime aren't exactly majestic looking either..

Top Bottom