• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Multiplayer is amazing. Jumped into a random game and just started helping out these 2 guys and they turned on me and kept killing me. Ran away from them and met up with 2 other people and they showed me the ropes and got me to level 6. I even talked them into going and getting the 2 that shot me earlier and killed them until one apologized for killing me earlier. :lol

Got upto level 6 an added the guys to the friends list. Good times. PS3 version runs fine and the nighttime storm effects are fantastic.

Dresden said:
Goddamn does moving Marston feel clunky. The horse controls take getting used to, as well.

I really wish you could go in "reverse". Unless I'm missing the way to do it.

(Whoa! "Triggernometry" is so damn good!!)

There were at least 75 people at the store tonight.

I'm glad I went though!

IMG_0040-1.jpg

IMG_0039-1.jpg

IMG_0044-1.jpg

IMG_0046-1.jpg

IMG_0047-1.jpg

IMG_0043-1.jpg

IMG_0042-1.jpg

IMG_0048-1.jpg

IMG_0050-1.jpg

IMG_0049-1.jpg

There were these hot ass Rockstar chicks handing out TNT sticks and shirts. They ran out of sticks by the time they got to me. :( Now I just need me some playing cards and maybe a lanyard and I'll be good. :D

See you all online!

sdornan

The online is horrible at the moment. My friend and I can't connect to each other's games, and when we finally do one or both of us and/or our mounts are invisible.

KoruptData said:
Multiplayer is amazing. Jumped into a random game and just started helping out these 2 guys and they turned on me and kept killing me. Ran away from them and met up with 2 other people and they showed me the ropes and got me to level 6. I even talked them into going and getting the 2 that shot me earlier and killed them until one apologized for killing me earlier. :lol

That sounds so satisfying.

FrankT

Mr_Guillotine said:
Anyone else getting a "Rockstar network unavailable" message when trying to redeem the outfit code?

Rockstar hit the trigger on these servers. Oh and I think I may have been jipped on my soundtrack download. Says I already downloaded which didn't happen.

Daigoro

BenjaminBirdie said:
Holy shit seriously, I would honestly recommend anyone who didn't buy this at GameStop to turn around and return it while you still have the chance.

The soundtrack is THAT. GOOD.

jeez, you guys are killing me. i was going to go to BB tomorrow and pick it up, but between the trade in deal and this im getting swayed here.

what bitrate is the soundtrack at?

Shaka said:
Gonna pick this game up on friday and I won't have to spend a dime. Trade in deal+voucher=awesome! :D

what is this voucher you speak of?

Jtyettis said:
Rockstar hit the trigger on these servers. Oh and I think I may have been jipped on my soundtrack download. Says I already downloaded which didn't happen.

thats annoying.

FrankT

That is some sweet gear above. Oh yea and this game is gorgeous.

Edit: Alright after linking in to social club I tried the DLC code again and now got it.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Played for a couple hours. Not a lot to say, really, except that I absolutely love it (PS3 version). :D I did notice some pretty blatant pop-in, but hey, it's never bothered me before, and it ain't gonna start bothering me now.

Also :lol at the wanted poster in the preorder swag pics above. It's still got the old 4/27 date, before the game was delayed.

EDIT: Also, the game looks absolutely stunning, even on a shitty SDTV (though I'm using S-Video, so it's not as shitty as composite).

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Holy crap!

Considering the scale, this is the most technically impressive console game I have ever played. I am trying really hard to nitpick things like jagged edges, slow loading textures or bad framerate, but everything is just perfect. This might be the most polished Rockstar game ever. It's simply stunning. The screenshots were not lying, the game looks that good. Incredible.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Wanted to play for 30 minutes, played for 2 hours. Doh!

Good times. Controls take some getting used to though. Found one treasure map though and man is that shit vague. :lol

Gravijah

Got my 360 copy from Wal Mart. Will be a few weeks before I can play with GAF online, but I hope to see you guys playing for a while. :D

derFeef

Hm, so how similar to GTA is this? I stopped playing GTA IV after some hours because I did not like it at. Will wait for some deeper impressions from you guys as the "holy shit this game is dope" posts do not satisfy me ;)

web01

KoruptData said:

Got upto level 6 an added the guys to the friends list. Good times. PS3 version runs fine and the nighttime storm effects are fantastic.

Whats the voice chat quality like?

Gravijah

derFeef said:
Hm, so how similar to GTA is this? I stopped playing GTA IV after some hours because I did not like it at. Will wait for some deeper impressions from you guys as the "holy shit this game is dope" posts do not satisfy me ;)

You gotta tell us what you didn't like about GTAIV, friend.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Well this sucks. I tried to download the soundtrack with my special edition code, and the link to the soundtrack crashed my browser. Once I got everything restored, I tried the link again and it said I'd already downloaded the soundtrack.

Fuck. :(

MP is a blast, just hit level 3 and got the throwing knife!

But on free roam I had a glitch where my model/donkey weren't showing up. Also when I tried to change my player model they were all invisible :(

MercuryLS

Banned
Seraphis Cain said:
Well this sucks. I tried to download the soundtrack with my special edition code, and the link to the soundtrack crashed my browser. Once I got everything restored, I tried the link again and it said I'd already downloaded the soundtrack.

Fuck. :(

I'm getting the game at gamestop sometime today, I won't d/l the soundtrack so if you want the code it's yours. PM me sometime after noon to remind me.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
MercuryLS said:
I'm getting the game at gamestop sometime today, I won't d/l the soundtrack so if you want the code it's yours. PM me sometime after noon to remind me.

Oh, thanks a lot man. I e-mailed Rockstar about it, but if I don't hear back from them soon, or if they can't help, I'll definitely take you up on the offer. Thanks again!

derFeef

Gravijah said:
You gotta tell us what you didn't like about GTAIV, friend.
Hm, well. I disliked the whole mission thing. If you do not do missions you pretty much miss all the fun. The bad thing about that was (for me) that the missions were pretty poorly designed as well so the thing that suppose to be fun, was no fun at all.
It felt forced and not sandboxy at all.

I would have bought it if my gaming budget would be higher, so I will hold off until next month and wait for some impressions and answers.

Mik2121

From what I'm hearing, it seems like the servers are getting smashed horribly. Expected, nevertheless. I guess tomorrow it will get worse, then all settle down a bit until the weekend when it will probably be crashing every now and then :lol

At least we will have time to finish the story mode until the online works smoothly for all of us.

(I have yet to receive the game.. Play-Asia still doesn't have the stock.. I hope they get it later today and send it so I can get it this week..)

Dead

well not really...yet
When can you get the lasso to hogtie people with?

I havent found it for sale in any store and havent received it with any of the early story missions so far...

Snowballo

Are there multiplayer videos out there? I mean not official videos but made by users.

I don't love Rockstar games so much and I'd buy RDR just for the multiplayer part.
Does it worth enough?

HMC

derFeef said:

After a few missions, I was surprised at how quickly the GTA deja vu kicked in. So far the mission setup and flow are very familiar. It helps that the checkpoints are alot better though. The biggest difference is that the minigames and diversions are fantastic, and the multi is much, much better than the last game. Standoffs FTMFW. Much more to do in RDR...feels more like Saints Row than GTA4.

It cannot be overstated how the detailed environment sucks you into that era. You'll read this sentiment ad nauseum, and you can watch vids all day...but you gotta witness for yourself the way the sky, the scrub, the lighting and music come together perfectly the first time you mount a ridge. Beautiful vistas with armadillos, rabbits and skunks scurrying around here and there. It's impressive. Don't know how long that will be a factor though, as GTA's busy metropolis impressed me initially in the same way. This just seems so much more intimate and detailed.

Anywho, more impressions:

-Poker minigames are nicely done. Your AI opponents all have different playing styles that you can pick up on, and the stakes vary from place to place. It always feels fresh.

-At night you can run into dudes camped, and can join them just to hear stories.

-The horse mechanics are a little weird and overly complex, IMO. You have to "tap" to increase speed, and hold to maintain. I liked AC's simpler horse riding a little better.

-Spawn camping in multi can be a pain.

-The lobby brawling is pretty cool but remember, the fight controls don't activate until you vote to start. Took quite a few ass whoopings before I realized this. :lol

Dresden

It really is a beautiful game. I was doing the second Sheriff mission, the one
where you ride into that box canyon and wipe out the bandit gang
, and on the way there the scenery was so damn amazing. You can say that about every part of the game, but the ride there was when I really said, goddamn.

Combat feels good, I guess. I tried expert but it's just hard to aim in RDR. Wish I had a mouse.

I'm getting used to horse controls, and it'll feel good, I guess.

Also, looting is way too addictive, I loot damn near everything. :lol

Can someone answer these questions about the PS3 version please?

- How is the voicechat quality in multiplayer?
- How does inviting/joining friends work? Is it like Modern Warfare 2, through cross-game PSN messages and the XMB's friendlist? Or is it done through a custom in-game menu?

Thanks!

mujun

Mik2121 said:
From what I'm hearing, it seems like the servers are getting smashed horribly. Expected, nevertheless. I guess tomorrow it will get worse, then all settle down a bit until the weekend when it will probably be crashing every now and then :lol

At least we will have time to finish the story mode until the online works smoothly for all of us.

(I have yet to receive the game.. Play-Asia still doesn't have the stock.. I hope they get it later today and send it so I can get it this week..)

I'm hoping that they just haven't updated the site because they are busy and that the status changes later tonight. Happens sometimes.

Mik2121

mujun said:
I'm hoping that they just haven't updated the site because they are busy and that the status changes later tonight. Happens sometimes.
Let's hope so.. Otherwise I guess they'll get it tomorrow.. but it would be neat if they could send them today.. that way it would arrive Japan tonight and I would maybe receive it tomorrow evening (they would have to send it from Tokyo to Osaka, where I live).

Oh well.. I'm pressing F5 on the site all the time, so if I notice anything I'll let you know here :p

Seanspeed

Banned
Net_Wrecker said:
Whoa the shotgun looks EXTREMELY overpowered in MP.
Gametrailers review says the multiplayer isn't balanced.

I have a feeling multiplayer will be fun to just mess around in, but any 'serious' competition will be more frustrating than anything.

Could be wrong....

Mik2121

Seanspeed said:
Gametrailers review says the multiplayer isn't balanced.

I have a feeling multiplayer will be fun to just mess around in, but any 'serious' competition will be more frustrating than anything.

Could be wrong....
Well.. remember we are in the era of the patches.. maybe if enough people gets angry about it, we can get it fixed!.

I have yet to play the game so I dunno.. is it really that overpowered? I mean.. it's a shotgun.. in a very wide environment.. shouldn't a weapon like the sniper be the overpowered one that everybody hates?

HMC

Unlike MW2, RDR's shotgun has no range. Its a powerful mofo, but it's harder to get up close and personal through a hail of gunfire. Any of the semi-auto pistols can keep shotgunners at bay.

Now the mounted canon on the other hand...

JMizzlin

Just had some cunt ruin the ending for me on another forum. SO fucking mad right now.

And I still have to wait til Friday. :RAGE:

Chris R

So is this game like GTA:Wild West? Hadn't really paid much attention to it at all, but it has two threads going and people cross posting to other threads about it so it must be kinda good...

G_Berry

Banned
Broadbandito said:
mp needs to be balanced immediately. If you have a high power pistol, you win.

So get a high powered pistol?

Just because someone has a high powered pistol and you don't does not mean the game is unbalanced.

Against my better judgment, I've not slept and instead been playing single player RDR. Gorgeous, fun, and with a world that's actually naturally dangerous even a bit fearsome with its random encounters and wildlife. After having no problems wandering around shooting birds and skinning small animals for a half-hour after the first Sheriff mission ended just outside of town, I failed to save two people set upon by some no-good thugs and just after looting their bodies, I was attacked by a damned mountain lion. First, it ninja'd in and took my horsey, then it took me. Love it.

RDR, so far, >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>GTA anything. And I haven't done shit yet.

I've been following this thread from the beginning and I just ordered the game from VGPlus, I'm a huge fan of the Old West and I really hope the game delivers!

Johningame

Neo Member
I just spent the last three hours playing the SP on my 360. I can believe the level of immersion R* has pulled off with this one. I don't know that I've ever played a game where the world felt so real, so alive. Time just flies by when you're presented with so many choices and so much to do. The graphics are clear and sharp, colors are rich. No tearing or weirdness that I can see. Riding your horse takes some getting used to and having to press A to run feels dated but I honestly didn't mind because I was having too much fun. RDR is going to be my go to game for a long, long time. Goodnight, GAF. Thanks for going easy on me.

Tr4nce

I'm glad there's now a separate thread for all that comparison talk. This thread was being ruined.

Anyway, Americans let me start by saying that I wish you all the best today! Have fun playing the game, then I expect impressions ASAP! :lol

Secondly, I'm in Holland so I have to wait for Friday, but I just can't wait to play this game. My gaming addiction and my interest for gaming is rapidly decreasing over the last couple of years, I don't know why. What I do know is that every once in a while a game passes by which is so awesome, and you know it's going to be amazing to play. The most magical moment for me as a gamer is finally seeing the game on your own TV, and holding the controller, and the moment starts when you can actually play the game yourself, after months and months of talking about it in threads like this one. Such a magical moment. Therefore, have fun today you American folk!!!!!!

Top Bottom