• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

AYE, people who currently have the game, can you switch shoulders when aiming ala Uncharted 2, Metal Gear Solid 4, last gen Splinter Cells, etc.?

reKon

Banned
The gun sound and audio effects in this game is amazing. I love that shit too. The music is really great too and I'm not even one of those into the Westerns.

I think this game has my favorite sound quality next to bad company 2. This beats Killzone 2 and Uncharted 2 because there is more variation in the different sound effects.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I'm about an hour in and it's been an invertible experience so far.

And I never knew kickin' chickens could be this much fun! I'm just wondering about the hunting aspect, is there a good categorizing system for what you've killed? I just see very basic categories in the stats menu.

Played for about 2 hours.. 1 hour MP 1 hour SP.

SP:
- Slow start. Game babies you (race is mission #3) with a few tutorial'ish missions but I still really enjoyed them.
- Gameplay mechanics are very similiar to GTA4 HOWEVER controls feel much more refined and shooting is far more satisfying. I felt like GTA4 controls turned to shit overnight; these feel pretty good.

MP:
- Free roam seems neat; not sure how to start missions up however and rival posses are already high level.
- Really enjoyed the standoff team mode; capture the flag - not so much.

Overall, had a great time - can't wait to dive back in tomorrow.

Phloxy

Is anybody else having big issues with system link? Me and my bf both bought the game (360) and system link just will not work. We even tried directly hooking an ethernet cable into each others systems and we cant see each other or get a menu to join in.

Anyone having issues trying to sign into the social club from the game menu?

It keeps telling me "an error occurred while connecting to Social Club servers. Please check back later."

k0ji-wd

ok so i've seen taunts in free roam, and friendly fire, but can you lassoo a member of your posse? this is the last piece of info i need :D

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
reKon said:
The gun sound and audio effects in this game is amazing. I love that shit too. The music is really great too and I'm not even one of those into the Westerns.

I think this game has my favorite sound quality next to bad company 2. This beats Killzone 2 and Uncharted 2 because there is more variation in the different sound effects.

optical or hdmi?

stupei

Was going to try to finish Alan Wake first, but could not resist what was meant to be a half hour with RDR before bed.

Ended up playing for an hour and a half instead. Damn. :lol

Game is good. Better than I'd hoped, even. Controls feel a lot more natural than they did in GTA4. Horse is more fun than car. Like the supporting characters so far, too. Love looting dead bodies, especially when they've got something really good. I can see this game eating up so much of my time for a while.

leng jai

reKon said:

Shit man you got me hyped.

WreckTheLaw

Giant Bomb Japanimation Correspondent
got2bekidding said:
Anyone having issues trying to sign into the social club from the game menu?

It keeps telling me "an error occurred while connecting to Social Club servers. Please check back later."

I also had trouble, but eventually I tried entering the code with dashes and it works. Try that?

For ANYONE that is into the soundtrack, you should check out the group "Friends of Dean Martinez". Two of the guys from that group, Bill Elm and Woody Jackson, are responsible for the awesome (or what I know will be awesome, haven't heard it yet) soundtrack. Seriously, check these dudes out. Their shit is solid.

Teknoman

Awesome, you still have to unlock the deadly assassin outfit, so its sorta not like cheating :D

I'll wait till tomorrow and join the rest of GAF PS3 posse, playing a little more SP for now.

DLed the soundtrack. The GS LE code worked. Fucking awesome. "Redemption In Dub" tells you everything you need to know about how radly it links the classic western style to modern bangingness.

Custom Soundtracks can suck a diiiiiiii

Magnus said:
I hope you all love the game!
Thanks for posting all of your impressions Magnus, it was greatly appreciated. I know you said you weren't the ideal person to be doing it, but I think you were wrong about that :D

Teknoman said:
Awesome, you still have to unlock the deadly assassin outfit, so its sorta not like cheating :D

I'll wait till tomorrow and join the rest of GAF PS3 posse, playing a little more SP for now.

Disappointing to me because it means that there's a real piece of content getting locked out of everybody elses versions. *frown*

Phloxy

Yeah been looking around, and lots of people are having the system link problem. Pretty epic fail me and my bf bought this for the system link seeing as how we don't have live anymore. Sucks.

Teknoman

Snapshot King said:
Disappointing to me because it means that there's a real piece of content getting locked out of everybody elses versions. *frown*

Im sure it'll eventually be a Social Club challenge...hopefully.

Holy shit seriously, I would honestly recommend anyone who didn't buy this at GameStop to turn around and return it while you still have the chance.

The soundtrack is THAT. GOOD.

NG28

Phloxy said:
Yeah been looking around, and lots of people are having the system link problem. Pretty epic fail me and my bf bought this for the system link seeing as how we don't have live anymore. Sucks.
Damn that sucks I was trying to convince my friend to buy it so we could system link. Hopefully it gets fixed soon
but I doubt it

comrade

Phloxy said:
Is anybody else having big issues with system link? Me and my bf both bought the game (360) and system link just will not work. We even tried directly hooking an ethernet cable into each others systems and we cant see each other or get a menu to join in.
Are we sure the game supports system link? It only says Online Multiplayer on the back of the box.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Snapshot King said:

This is pretty much completely baseless on my part but I thought I recalled reading that most/all of the preorder bonuses are obtainable in game anyway. I just though for something like the gamestop suit you get the missions to obtain it right from the start, when normally you don't get it until later.

But I wouldn't say that as a fact, just would just make the most sense to me.

Phloxy

Nah when you click multi-player system link is one of 3 options. It puts us into a free-roam, problem is game doesn't let us see each other or give and option to join up. Hopefully Rockstar fixes this soon.

Installing now! Ended up being 40-50 people there, no swag but I don't give a shit really. Game time till this caffeine wears off then sleep time.

Jeepers, for reals, I've played through five Wipeouts and this is my favorite game soundtrack ever. Already. It's like Chavez, DJ Shadow, and the band in the Deadwood Season 2 finale got into a fist fight at a sleepover.

I LOVE IT.

Changing costumes is pretty weird and confusing. I don't know what the fuck to do. Where do I get my soundtrack? Where do I get my 2 special outfits? I only entered the 1 code for the outfit and soundtrack.

red shoe paul said:
Changing costumes is pretty weird and confusing. I don't know what the fuck to do. Where do I get my soundtrack? Where do I get my 2 special outfits?

Sounds like barbie is more your style. lol special outfits.

I don't know man, sorry.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Jeepers, for reals, I've played through five Wipeouts and this is my favorite game soundtrack ever. Already. It's like Chavez, DJ Shadow, and the band in the Deadwood Season 2 finale got into a fist fight at a sleepover.

I LOVE IT.

Now that's a great soundtrack.

Google, "Friends of Dean Martinez". Do it.

Also, it's still early but I have to say, as usual, when it comes to cutscenes, ROckstar are the BEST IN THE BIZ.

Just some great, subtle, fantastic shit.

Teknoman

red shoe paul said:
Changing costumes is pretty weird and confusing. I don't know what the fuck to do. Where do I get my soundtrack? Where do I get my 2 special outfits?

You need to find pieces to actually unlock the suit. Special code/challenges just unlock the mission for the most part. Soundtrack instructions are at:

http://www.rockstargames.com/reddeadredemption/soundtrack/

All codes for in game stuff are entered at the pause menu.

andymcc

Banned
let me pose a question: i have a love/hate relationship w/ sandbox games atm. if i kind of hated GTAIV, will i find something to love in this game? i really enjoy westerns, so the aesthetic is there for me, but i'm wondering if the gameplay will be compelling still?

also, which is better: the ps3 or 360 one?

Top Bottom