• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Damn tired as fuck but shit this game is unlike anything I've ever played. Feels like GTA but with more weight...for lack of a better term. I spent like an hour just shooting critters and skinning and was entertained. I did the first couple
bonnie
missions and saw some other people but didn't shoot them as it felt more real somehow then any GTA has. Hard to explain and damn I wish I didn't have to go to work today.

magicaltrevor said:
Crap. That fucking sucks.
what?!?! That's the only way it should be handled. You shouldn't have to dump people off your list just to add them for RDR. Now you can add anyone you want and see when they are online with the game and there is no limit to worry about.

my copy of out for delivery! Crap I never finished re-wiring my stereo

Gravijah

syllogism said:
The poker AI is hilariously bad. Called my all-in (around 90% of the pot) on the river with 9 high. I had a J high :smug:

I figure it's based on who you're playing against. By the way, you were the one going all in with a J high. :lol

syllogism said:
The poker AI is hilariously bad. Called my all-in on the river with 9 high. I had a J high :smug:

You went all in with a Jack high. Just sayin'

EDIT - One more thing, I immediately switched to expert aiming and that is definitely the way to go, hitting birds and shit on the move is a challenge. At least for now.

So I got the game at the midnight launch last night, PS3 version.

Played all of 10minutes of Single player then we all jumped right into MP.

Voice chat is perfect. Join a posse to talk to your buds no matter were they are, push down on Dpad to talk to whole server, also has proximity chat so if your next to someone he can hear you.

Heres a quick write up on what Ive seen in Mutiplayer for the PS3. Im not sure on how to invite since I was invited to the game from my buddy.

Your spawned into the free roam map, from there your open game to any one around. Your best option is to have your buddies and yourself all "Posse up" and watch each others back. Mind you dyin in free roam doesnt mean anything, you resawn in the area or next to other posse members 3-5 seconds later.

The whole map has scathered crap to do with your posse be it deathmatch, Co-op type stuff etc,, To top that off scattered all over the map is little mini missions. Like there is a bunch of forts and areas with NPC's you can fight.
One had us invade and conquer a fort he other had us fight are way into the canyon and plant explosives on ammo crates. These seem to respawn minutes later and can be replayed, so you can invade that fort a bunch of times with out joining a new server, just leave the area for a minute or 2 and do it again.
Seems to you can find new weapons while in Muti-Roam, you keep them on yourself even if you die. If you leave the server your made to use your basic loadout, which can be enhanced with unlocks through leveling.
You also unlock tons of Skins as well as mounts you can push up on Dpad to summon, even if your horse dies you just push up and whistle and twin comes running in (Best option to escape Free roam spawn area were people will camp)
You also have unlocking titles too which is pretty cool.

If you do some illgal crap, the "Lawmen" will hunt you down and kill you, and there pretty strong...everything is strong to a degree lol.

World is SO big.
In most games when you got to an edge of a cliff and saw miles of scenery beyond it you knew it wasn accesible, in RDR all those areas are just a mountain pass away. You can sit on the edge of a canyon and see other players 1-1/2 miles away and take some pop shots at them, its insane just incredible how big the worold is.

You see an NPC stagecoach charging by and can attempt to hijack it, only to have to fight off stagecoah men as the go 100mphs and fire big ass guns, attack it/steal it, prepare to be wanted and hunted!

The world is piled high with animal life, which most of the time you want to kill so many of to fullfill rewards. Some of the first are "Kill 5 birds" and even "Pick 6 ferns" etc... Even rolling so may times will nab you some easy xp and fullfill a reward.

Competitive mutiplayer is from I played was basic Deathmatch and capture the flag (Bag) I didnt play all the modes. Maps I played were pretty decent size towns/villas, beautiful and cool with tons of rooms/stairs/doors/cover. Each match starts first with a Team vs. Team standoff duel.

Only bad time I had was when me and my 2 buddies posse'd upand decided to attack people in the server. We came across two guys trying the Canyon mission in FreeRoam. We rode in and atacked them as there were riding along the canyon floor, then we rode in and finished them off.....then they respawned right on the edge of the canyon...and we killed them again...then they respawned again...and again...etc...
Basically the spawn system had them constantly respawn right at the edge of the canyon, right in front of us. Even when one of them killed one of us, we just respawned moments later right were they were spawning.
Basically we all eneded up spawn camping or spawn fighting over and over again...50+ kills later we had to call a truce.

Thats all I know so far, I gotta play more but it was late.

BobTheFork said:
what?!?! That's the only way it should be handled. You shouldn't have to dump people off your list just to as them for RDR. Now you can add anyone you want and see when they are online with the game and there is no limit to worry about.

What the hell are you talking about?

taoofjord

I'm pretty disappointed in the game so far. The whole experience has become TOO streamlined... Often in a way to sacrifice freedom and immersion. I can't say I find that too surprising considering the complaints gaf had with GTAIV. Multiplayer options are limited in favor of a voting randomized playlist (unless I'm missing something and you can still customize your private games?) and the player physics and controls have been made unrealistically snappy and fast... Often resulting in jarring player animation and glitches... which contrasts greatly with the fantastic euphoria stuff. In fact, a lot of the animation seems to be much less polished than it was in gtaiv... What a shame.

Need to play more to get over these disappointments and explore the rest of the game...

suplex said:
Well Amazon shipped my copy yesterday, and while I didn't get release date shipping or anything, it still oddly says it left Lexington, KY and I will not receive any tracking updates for three days. I've never seen that before and since I'm in IL I figure it shouldn't take three days to get here.

It's up to the UPS Gods now! Let's hope the driver has some light loads for the next few days.

magicaltrevor said:
What the hell are you talking about?
what the hell are YOU talking about?!?!
You said it sucks that the friend invites are handled on the game level and not on the XMB level. I'm saying that it's much better that they are in game. Did I really make it unclear?

Mik2121

zero margin said:
Anyone know if you should bother buying new weapons? I assume enemies will drop upgrades.
I dunno about this game, but I can't even remember when was the last time I upgraded a weapon in a game. Not even RPGs.

Anybody find in mutiplayer a delay in poping out of crouch to fire at a person and a delay to hot swap weapons.

I thought it was pretty cool and slowed the game down so you have to be incredibly sneaky. You cant just pop out of cover and pop-pop-pop...you pop out of cover and it takes a second before you can fire a shot, same with weapons, dont expect to shoot the shotty then swithc to the pistol real fast for the finish.

Mutiplayer seems like you have to play it slow and methodical, a bit of camping. Running and shooting your gun will expose you on the enemy map thus inviting people to come get you.

Mik2121 said:
I dunno about this game, but I can't even remember when was the last time I upgraded a weapon in a game. Not even RPGs.

Maybe upgrades was the wrong word, better weapons than what you currently have.

Gravijah said:
From what I can tell, I think you have to buy weapons. But I'm not entirely sure.

Cool. I can see the reasoning behind that method as well. I'm still without the
lasso
and apparently you need to learn to call your horse. Hope that happens soon, hunting and gathering turns into a pain when you got to run TO your horse.

Gravijah said:
From what I can tell, I think you have to buy weapons. But I'm not entirely sure.
Speaking of that, what is the ammo spread for the guns? Meaning, do all these pistols and guns use similar ammo or is it different for each or is it done by gun type (revolver, pistol etc).

BobTheFork said:
what the hell are YOU talking about?!?!
You said it sucks that the friend invites are handled on the game level and not on the XMB level. I'm saying that it's much better that they are in game. Did I really make it unclear?

I disagree, as it isn't cross-game.
So disappointing...

But you also referred to dumping players from your list... Doesn't the in-game friendslist use the data from the XMB's friendslist?

BobTheFork said:
Speaking of that, what is the ammo spread for the guns? Meaning, do all these pistols and guns use similar ammo or is it different for each or is it done by gun type (revolver, pistol etc).

Gun type. Well, things like repeater ammo, handgun ammo, etc.

Definity

Anyone got tips on cheating at poker? Every f'n time I try it I end up in the middle of the street in a show down. :lol

magicaltrevor said:
I disagree, as it isn't cross-game.
So disappointing...

But you also referred to dumping players from your list... Doesn't the in-game friendslist use the data from the XMB's friendslist?
Are you talking about friend invites or Game invites because it think we are talking about different things. About the other point, some games do, some don't I hope it doesn't use the XMB list because there tons of people on my list who won't play this and I don't need to see them all listed. I would rather have a separate list I can add anyone to that doesn't effect my main list.

Definity said:
Anyone got tips on cheating at poker? Every f'n time I try it I end up in the middle of the street in a show down. :lol

I must have good luck at poker on this game.... tripled my money at it last night. No cheating.

Impressed so far... but the multiplayer is again underdocumented. I managed to rustle up a .45 auto and try to skip town on my burro, but some dude in a sombrero with a Winchester shot me dead with a single bullet from horseback.

To sum up:

Me: Mountie getup, pistol, burro.

He: Pancho Villa costume, long-range repeating rifle, fast horse.

Me: Dead. :lol

Do you just keep shooting people and joining posses and playing and magically you become a Mexican gangster?

Hanmik

United Arab Emirates Bans Red Dead Redemption

The United Arab Emirates seems to have banned Red Dead Redemption from being sold in the nation's shops, according to a retailer from the Dubai Mall quoted by a user from the T-Break Forums. The developer, Rockstar San Diego, and its publisher, Take-Two Interactive, have refrained from any official comments. Red Entertainment, the company that distributes Rockstar's games in the UAE, is also not talking about the issue. This decision has baffled gamers in the region, as no offensive imagery, religious or otherwise, has been sighted in the game's trailers, screenshots and posters.

It is not the first time this has happened in the UAE, though Rockstar San Diego's blockbuster is just the latest addition to a list that contains other popular titles like Darksiders, Heavy Rain or God of War 3. This policy of the country's government seems to be scaring game publishers away. Dante's Inferno, for example, was not released in the UAE by Electronic Arts for fear of possible banning, as the game's religious themes might offend sensibilities of the region.

source: http://news.softpedia.com/news/United-Arab-Emirates-Ban-Red-Dead-Redemption-142319.shtml

Gravijah

Oh! Important question! If I play offline, when I finally do go online, will the social club things still be tracked? Do I always need to be online?

CozMick said:
Sooooooooooooooo, can I please have confirmation that the voice chat works perfectly on PS3? :D

From this very same page.

Pkm said:
So I got the game at the midnight launch last night, PS3 version.

Played all of 10minutes of Single player then we all jumped right into MP.

Voice chat is perfect.

Sephon

Tried my hand on some sharpshooting challenge earlier
The challenge where you shoot the hats of 2 people at once.
Tried it on a couple of farmers on a wagon that drove by, unfortunately they also got a hole in the head but fortunately there weren't any witnesses around.
I got a bit of guilt but also laughed as I rode away

CozMick said:
Cool, totally missed that giganta wall of text for some reason.

Thanks for the quote. :D

Please dont mind my poor typing and spelling errors, undercover typing at work with 3 hours of sleep also hurting my brain :D

Gravijah said:
zero margin, press up on the d-pad to call your horse. Don't worry, I couldn't figure it out either.

Is that it? Shit I kept hitting Y. Thanks man.

MidnightRider said:
I mean it was a pre order bonus

Yeah but I was under the impression even for those you needed to do something to unlock it.

depths20XX

Is there auto-lock in the multiplayer? If so that's pretty lame. At first I thought the multiplayer seemed pretty cool, in theory anyway. It kinda looks like it's just something you may mess with for a few days and then you're done with it. Single player still looks amazing though.

Top Bottom