• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Vinci

Danish
Red Blaster said:
Of course the developers are gonna say they're identical, but sadly that's almost never the case.

Hopefully some guys get their hands on the game early so we can get a proper comparison, really jonesing for that Amazon gift card.

I'm hoping for the same. I would really like to buy the game. It sounds like something I could enjoy that would be distinct from other games I own. But... I'm concerned about the quality of the PS3 version, and I'll need some first-hand accounts for how it plays, if there are issues with it, etc. before diving in.

Goldrusher

Notice the bloody neck of that wolf. And a knife in its back.

16.jpg

Alucrid

Banned
Goldrusher said:

http://media.rockstargames.com/products/rockstar/screenshot%20gallery/reddeadredemption/we/1280/16.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Oh man, I like wolves too much to kill them. :\

But bears, fuck bears.

I'm super stoked now. I forgot this game was coming out since it kept getting delayed I had forgotten about it. Just found out too that 5 of my real life friends are picking this up so our posse will be 6 deep on launch day. I can't wait to rob some banks!!!

cjtiger300 said:
not if they have a deal with Microsoft to only show footage of the 360 version. That sounds like something Microsoft would do.

All companies do it. Sony did it with Assassin's Creed 2 last Xmas season.

New trailer dropping tomorrow @ noon!

Red Dead Redemption official launch trailer coming tomorrow http://bit.ly/b2zTpF #reddeadredemption

From twitter.

rdr_launchtrailer.jpg

Look for the debut of the full-length Official Launch Trailer tomorrow. The last official video before the game's release next week on Tuesday, May 18th in North America and Friday, May 21st worldwide.

See it tomorrow at noon in full HD at www.rockstargames.com/reddeadredemption and here at www.rockstargames.com.

Fake edit: Holy shit @ the wolves picture.. that knife in the back is too fucking cool.

TxdoHawk

I was trying to get in on the lines, really wanted to ask about Dead Eye in multiplayer. Seems like something that could really wreck competitive...in one of the trailers for multi, a guy tags up a dude with marks while hiding behind a rock, then pops out and instantly pummels him with it, which wrecks the guy in a fraction of a second, without any time to react. I'm hoping that if it's as powerful as it looks, it's not going to be too easy to obtain.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Well what the HELL did you guys expect Rockstar to say? "Well the PS3 version doesn't run quite as well, and has a few problems, but other than that it's feature equal to the 360!"

Why do you guys think Rockstar is hiding something? They aren't going to say anything. It's up to the reviews to tell us what's up. Geez, some of you need to calm down.

UrbanRats

So can someone summarize the live podcast w/ the phone calls?
1 hour of chatting and they only talked about the Ps3/360 version? :lol

chubigans said:
Well what the HELL did you guys expect Rockstar to say? "Well the PS3 version doesn't run quite as well, and has a few problems, but other than that it's feature equal to the 360!"

Why do you guys think Rockstar is hiding something? They aren't going to say anything. It's up to the reviews to tell us what's up. Geez, some of you need to calm down.

"We did our best to ensure that both versions were as close as they could be to each other"

I was watching a Youtube trailer last night, and my wife says

"Is that your new game?"

Yes.

"When's that coming?"

Tuesday.

"We'll miss you." :lol :lol :lol

dankir

Damn... I was totally ignoring this game and I saw a 30 second ad for it on game trailers yesterday, consider my interest piqued!

Never paid any attention to the first, is this along the lines of Fallout / Oblivion?

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Submitted my time off notice for next Tuesday and Wednesday. Bought two jugs of bourbon over the weekend. Canceled back-waxing appointment. Wife told preemptively to shut the fuck up.

I'm ready for this.

I have no idea how good this game will be and haven't seen as much of this game as other people on this thread have.
Game of the year contender? Grand Theft Auto IV beater? Or flop? I would like to hear your impressions.

Edit: What are your impressions from what you have seen from it so far?

MacBosse

God damnit!

It seems the game has changed release date here in Sweden from 21st to 28th ...

NERD RAGE!

Edit: That means Read Dead, UFC 2010 and Alpha Protocol comes the same day. Oh lord.

Vinci

Danish
ashbash159 said:
I have no idea how good this game will be and haven't seen as much of this game as other people on this thread have.
Game of the year contender? Grand Theft Auto IV beater? Or flop? I would like to hear your impressions.

Seeing as we haven't played it? Hard to tell.

JoeBoy101

dankir said:
Damn... I was totally ignoring this game and I saw a 30 second ad for it on game trailers yesterday, consider my interest piqued!

Never paid any attention to the first, is this along the lines of Fallout / Oblivion?

Never played a GTA game? Its not strictly an RPG, though character building is an element in equipment and some skills.

sladeums

UrbanRats said:

here's what i caught.
there were other things asked that offered replies of little substance and probably some things i missed.
archive should be available on Kotaku and itunes later.

----------

map size?
15-20 minutes from end to end on horse via trails

dual wielding?
no

pc release?
no plans currently

which platform performs better?
no differences

mp splitscreen?
no

lasso in mp?
yes

any driving?
there are missions on vehicles, but no driving

trade or barter system in mp?
no comment

poker in mp?
no comment

what can you do with property?
use as safe house, change outfits, save, store items/ammo

mini-games in mp?
no comment

can you replay story missions?
yes

UrbanRats

sladeums said:
here's what i caught.
there were other things asked that offered replies of little substance and probably some things i missed.

----------

map size?

dual wielding?
no

pc release?
no plans currently

no differences

mp splitscreen?
no

lasso in mp?
yes

any driving?

no comment

poker in mp?
no comment

mini-games in mp?
no comment

yes
Thank you pal. :D

UrbanRats said:

I didn't catch it, but I've read answers:
  • The lasso is available in MP
  • Marston cannot drive cars, but you will be riding in one for at least one mission
  • Takes 15-20 minutes from one side of the map to the other on horseback
  • No dual wielding
  • Co-op is online/system link only
  • No lead platform - same game for 360 and PS3*

*Their words, read into them however you please

Fake Edit: beaten :x

Spriig

Banned
sw33tclyde said:
  • Marston cannot drive cars, but you will be riding in one for at least one mission
    [*]Takes 15-20 minutes from one side of the map to the other on horseback
  • No dual wielding

Is that it? I was expecting it to be bigger. Oh well.

Bossman

TxdoHawk said:
I was trying to get in on the lines, really wanted to ask about Dead Eye in multiplayer. Seems like something that could really wreck competitive...in one of the trailers for multi, a guy tags up a dude with marks while hiding behind a rock, then pops out and instantly pummels him with it, which wrecks the guy in a fraction of a second, without any time to react. I'm hoping that if it's as powerful as it looks, it's not going to be too easy to obtain.

You can't use it all the time so it really isn't any more game breaking than killstreak rewards in COD or quad damage in Quake.

Owzers

chubigans said:

Because they are hiding the ps3 version.

Laekon

20 minutes from one side of the map to the other sounds really small to me. I was hoping for a large open world.

Vinci

Danish
Hmm. I might go ahead and just get it at launch. Could always trade it in if there's something horribly wrong with it.

Laekon said:
20 minutes from one side of the map to the other sounds really small to me. I was hoping for a large open world.

Twenty minutes doing nothing but heading towards the other side? That's pretty large, fellas.

Falt

Laekon said:

Really? I'm thinking GTA IV, 6-8 minutes if that. GTA SA 8-10 minutes (total guesstimates, it's been a while). 20 minutes from one side to the other is a long time! Plus there's details we're missing here: Good horse, great horse, fantastic horse? Horse at full tilt? Mule?!

UrbanRats

sw33tclyde said:
  • Takes 15-20 minutes from one side of the map to the other on horseback
  • No dual wielding

System link co op? :eek:

DeuceMojo said:
I was watching a Youtube trailer last night, and my wife says

"Is that your new game?"

Yes.

"When's that coming?"

Tuesday.

"We'll miss you." :lol :lol :lol

That is genuinely cute. :lol

I said this in the other RDR thread, but seriously, I can't remember the last time I was this antsy about a game release except maybe, well, GTA4. heh

Laekon

I'll have to run across Fallout 3 when I get home tonight. Though thats kinda tough do to the terrain. I've never played a Rockstar game before but the setting and trailers got me really interested in this game. When I hear open world I think Elder Scrolls or Fallout 3.

JardeL

Goldrusher said:

http://media.rockstargames.com/products/rockstar/screenshot%20gallery/reddeadredemption/we/1280/16.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Looks clean. At least not as blurry as GTAIV. Engine improvement or promo-shot?

GreekWolf

Vinci said:
Twenty minutes doing nothing but heading towards the other side? That's pretty large, fellas.
It's freaking huge.

In Oblivion, I distinctly remember walking from Anvil all the way across the map to the southern tip of Blackwood in less than 20 minutes.

That was entirely on foot, not on horseback. Red Dead's world is considerably larger.

Vinci said:
Hmm. I might go ahead and just get it at launch. Could always trade it in if there's something horribly wrong with it.

Amazon is selling it for $40 and they give you a $30 trade in credit so worst case it's a $10 rental if you hate it.

Spriig

Banned
Falt said:
Really? I'm thinking GTA IV, 6-8 minutes if that. GTA SA 8-10 minutes (total guesstimates, it's been a while). 20 minutes from one side to the other is a long time! Plus there's details we're missing here: Good horse, great horse, fantastic horse? Horse at full tilt? Mule?!
Hmm yeah when you put it like that I guess it does seem fine. Im still stuck in the FUEL world. Man that map is insane.

Vinci

Danish
OldJadedGamer said:
Amazon is selling it for $40 and they give you a $30 trade in credit so worst case it's a $10 rental if you hate it.

Yeah, I was looking at Amazon when I posted that. It's a good deal.

Filldough

Let the hype build to levels of insanity previously thought impossible!! Great thread! Can't wait for this damn game. Was just plotting with a co-worker as to whether or not I'll call in sick. I reduced my hours so I only work 4 days a week so you'd think I could wait for my 3 day weekend but... it looks so fucking good!

Dynamic3

sladeums said:
here's what i caught.

----------

map size?

dual wielding?
no

pc release?
no plans currently

no differences

mp splitscreen?
no

lasso in mp?
yes

any driving?

no comment

poker in mp?
no comment

mini-games in mp?
no comment

yes

I'm probably in the minority, but I was kind of excited to be able to drive a car or fly a plane. I guess a car would be somewhat pointless as horses were probably faster (I assume), but I thought they would have been cool end-game acquisitions like the tank in GTA. Still hyped nonetheless.

NG28

I was bored and drove across Liberty City. It took me 3mins 45secs, and that is with buildings and cars and shit in the way. Twenty minutes for RDR is pretty big since its probably a straight shot.

Chairhome

Laekon said:
You also have to take into account, that the 20 min from end to end is probably linear. When you take into account the rest of the world, its probably a lot bigger than that 20 minute quote makes it seem like.

Falt

NG28 said:
I was bored and drove across Liberty City. It took me 3mins 45secs, and that is with buildings and cars and shit in the way. Twenty minutes for RDR is pretty big since its probably a straight shot.

Jesus... what were you driving?

That certainly puts things into perspective though. Car v Horse!

To those people thinking of calling into work to play this game online on launch day... please remember all the games that worked great online on launch day and how many of them had problems. Having launch day problems online is the norm and not the exception now a days.

sflufan

Banned
Dynamic3 said:
I'm probably in the minority, but I was kind of excited to be able to drive a car or fly a plane. I guess a car would be somewhat pointless as horses were probably faster (I assume), but I thought they would have been cool end-game acquisitions like the tank in GTA. Still hyped nonetheless.

I'm going to give you a very simple answer as to why you can't drive a car or fly a plane in this game.

Your character -- John Marston -- doesn't know how to.

R* is going for a higher level of "realism" with this game than the GTA series. As a result, it simply makes no sense for John -- one of the last of a dying breed of cowboys -- to have this type of knowledge or ability.

MMaRsu

sladeums said:
here's what i caught.

----------

map size?

dual wielding?
no

pc release?
no plans currently

no differences

mp splitscreen?
no

lasso in mp?
yes

any driving?

no comment

poker in mp?
no comment

mini-games in mp?
no comment

yes

No comment on MP stuff :lol That just means no then and that means R* still didn't learn from GTAIV MP. Too fucking bad, a smudge on this otherwise awesome game no doubt.

Top Bottom