• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

JBuccCP

I was pretty sad for the first couple of horses that died. Especially (early game spoiler)
the stallion you get from Bonnie that you break in
. I was aiming up a shot when the stupid fucker walked into my sights and I shot it in the head. :( I sat there staring at it lying in a puddle of blood for a few minutes, as if waiting for it to come back to life. After a while though I just started treating them like tools. You're going to lose many for random reasons throughout the game.

I have a question about the MP. What is used to rank-up, money or XP and can you rank up while in free roam mode. It feels like that's where I'm going to be spending most of my time.

Zeliard

Are the visuals as exquisite playing the game as they are looking at some of the media? You can only get so much of a sense without seeing it in-person and moving around the game world yourself (especially when it comes to stuff like pop-in). Certainly looks like a gorgeous game, though.

BenjaminBirdie said:
There's no option. It MUST be purchased at Gamestop because the soundtrack is INDISPENSABLE. It's the best soundtrack in video game history, bar none.
That, or at least it's not horse armor.

Speaking of horse armor, I've gotta up-armor my horse and my MP character -- I have been killed by more bears, boars, cougars, rabbits and praying mantises than players.

Although riding my horse off a cliff during that one race was priceless.

Gravijah

Question: Does anyone know if wearing the bandanna gets rid of loss of honor? I haven't lost any honor while wearing it I don't think. It would make my life easier if anyone knows. :lol

Edit: Confirmed. You don't lose ANY honor while wearing the bandanna.

DeuceMojo said:
That, or at least it's not horse armor.

Speaking of horse armor, I've gotta up-armor my horse and my MP character -- I have been killed by more bears, boars, cougars, rabbits and praying mantises than players.

Although riding my horse off a cliff during that one race was priceless.

The first race?! I did that! :D

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Laekon said:
Just to confirm, Amazon pre-order codes are in the case for the 360 version.

I have the feeling I'm in for a long work day now that I have the game in my hands.

I just opened my ps3 copy from amazon and the golden guns code was in the case.

Flib

Zeliard said:
Are the visuals as exquisite playing the game as they are looking at some of the media? You can only get so much of a sense without seeing it in-person and moving around the game world yourself (especially when it comes to stuff like pop-in). Certainly looks like a gorgeous game, though.

Yes, if not more so. The environment is nothing short of staggering.

Gravijah said:
Question: Does anyone know if wearing the bandanna gets rid of loss of honor? I haven't lost any honor while wearing it I don't think. It would make my life easier if anyone knows. :lol

Pretty sure that's the whole point of the bandanna.:D

JoeBoy101

Well, RDR-GAF, just got back from Best Buy, AGAIN. Two things to report on:

1) We went through their remaining copies and only one did not have the same 'mark' on the disc that my original copy did. I lied, telling them that it did not work in my Xbox, but frankly, I think it wasn't a lie but a prematurely told truth. The last copy has a VERY slight kinda smudge you can only see if you look real hard in the right light, so I'm going to run with this one and if it doesn't work, try a different Best Buy.

2) Their remaining copies were a grand total of 2. In the span of roughly 11:30 AM to 1:15 PM, they sold over 20 copies of the game. In the associate's own words, "We've never sold out of a game at launch" (it is a newer Best Buy, but opened about a year, year and a half ago). So it sounds like the game is going like gangbusters.

He also begged me to call back if this copy didn't work as he was worried about a stampede of returns. :D

Zeliard said:
They're a little jaggy here and there, and some of the brownness reminded me of Fallout, but there are times, like when riding north into the snow, that you'll come to a mountain lake or waterfall that just looks really very nice.

I'm trying to think of some good game types that you could manufacture. Like starting two riders on the edge of the map and setting waypoints that they must pass through to get to the other side of the map -- distribute posses among these waypoints, some to support, others to harass the riders and see who can reach the other side first. Like Cannonball Run but with horses, firearms and sombreros.

JBuccCP said:
I was pretty sad for the first couple of horses that died. Especially (early game spoiler)
the stallion you get from Bonnie that you break in
. I was aiming up a shot when the stupid fucker walked into my sights and I shot it in the head. :( I sat there staring at it lying in a puddle of blood for a few minutes, as if waiting for it to come back to life. After a while though I just started treating them like tools. You're going to lose many for random reasons throughout the game.

After you ride one for a while it seems to be able to run faster for longer......

Zeliard

DeuceMojo said:
They're a little jaggy here and there, and some of the brownness reminded me of Fallout, but there are times, like when riding north into the snow, that you'll come to a mountain lake or waterfall that just looks really very nice.

I'm trying to think of some good game types that you could manufacture. Like starting two riders on the edge of the map and setting waypoints that they must pass through to get to the other side of the map -- distribute posses among these waypoints, some to support, others to harass the riders and see who can reach the other side first. Like Cannonball Run but with horses, firearms and sombreros.

I'm hoping that when Rockstar San Diego releases the inevitable PC version, Rockstar North will let them borrow that recording function from GTAIV to use with RDR (and perhaps a more advanced one). Imagine the sorts of machinima-type movies that people could make with this game. The possibilities are big.

Dude Abides

Banned
MidnightRider said:
After you ride one for a while it seems to be able to run faster for longer......

One of the reviews mentioned that if you stick with one horse for a while, the horse grows loyal and gets stamina bonuses.

Hope my local gamestop has some copies left after work. Need to figure out if I can get better value with the 30% bonus or the 2 for $20 deal.

JoeBoy101

Dude Abides said:
Hope my local gamestop has some copies left after work. Need to figure out if I can get better value with the 30% bonus or the 2 for $20 deal.

Check out my post above about how it is selling. My suggestion is call ahead, and, if you have to play today, prepare to sacrifice the soundtrack for an available copy.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Dude Abides said:
One of the reviews mentioned that if you stick with one horse for a while, the horse grows loyal and gets stamina bonuses.

It says this in the game manual too. The game manual is actually really nice compared to the black and white 2 page pamphlets I've seen with games recently.

Spending time with your horse will make him trust you, and increases his stamina bar.

Bloodwake

I'm having troubles with the Deadly Assassin code as well... I have my Social Club membership linked to my Gamertag already.

I'm wondering if I should return the game and get another code.

Bloodwake

EVERYONE WHO IS HAVING TROUBLE WITH THE DEADLY ASSASSIN CODE:

Make sure that you turn Caps Lock on when you punch in the code. The code is evidently case sensitive. Which is fucking stupid, I know, but that's how I got mine to work.

Dude Abides

Banned
JoeBoy101 said:
Check out my post above about how it is selling. My suggestion is call ahead, and, if you have to play today, prepare to sacrifice the soundtrack for an available copy.

Yeah, I saw that, hence my concern. They've never failed me before, so I am optimistic. I'll just call when I get home. I can live without the soundtrack.

Aesius

Grr.

I just did a bounty hunter mission, but I couldn't take the guy alive because I don't have the lasso yet.

While I was looting all of the bodies, a gang of 4 more dudes shows up on horseback and starts blasting the shit out of me. I was at near death within a few seconds of them showing up. So I used the medicine, and then the game fucking froze. Or rather, Marston froze. The guys kept circling and shooting me, but Marston was like a statue, frozen in time and unresponsive. WTF?

JBuccCP

I'm pretty sure all you have to do to get the stamina upgrade is hitch the horse to a hitching post. It's just one upgrade that fills up the rest of the stamina bar.

edit: And also if you're horse dies and you whistle for a new one it will already have the increased stamina

Cday

Banned
I've already lost 3 horses due to stupidity. Two instances involved me accidentally riding full speed off a cliff, one of the times the horse broke my fall. The other was when I whistled to my horse while looting a final body and I saw a jackrabbit out of the corner of my eye, quickly drew on it and fired just as my horse got to me, headshot. The horse just collapsed into a limp pile ;_;

JoeBoy101

Cday said:
I've already lost 3 horses due to stupidity. Two instances involved me accidentally riding full speed off a cliff, one of the times the horse broke my fall. The other was when I whistled to my horse while looting a final body and I saw a jackrabbit out of the corner of my eye, quickly drew on it and fired just as my horse got to me, headshot. The horse just collapsed into a limp pile ;_;

Did the Jackrabbit get away clean?

Teknoman

Bloodwake said:
EVERYONE WHO IS HAVING TROUBLE WITH THE DEADLY ASSASSIN CODE:

Make sure that you turn Caps Lock on when you punch in the code. The code is evidently case sensitive. Which is fucking stupid, I know, but that's how I got mine to work.

I just typed it straight, no caps into the enter rockstar code section. No spaces even.

EDIT: DAMN the thunder effects in this game are nice.

Barrett2

Ratsofatsorat said:
Interesting that some people are feeling this. I thought the opening hour was pretty damn captivating. Was pretty glad that it doesn't start with a giant shoot-em-up sequence or something -- I like Rockstar's slow starts.
I enjoyed the humble tone of the opening hour, i just wish they didn't immediately dump you into a race mission. I don't know, i was just expecting a little more upfront sizzle. Instead you putz around the camp, which to me felt like i was doing chores right off the bat. It wasn't until I left the ranch that i felt the atmosphere in full force.

TxdoHawk

How's the multiplayer doing? I ran into two issues playing free roam yesterday:

1. Occasionally I would be thrown from a MP session. I wouldn't be able to join a new one unless I restarted my 360 or exited out to the dashboard, then relaunched.

2. I ran into a few instances where my character or enemies showed up as invisible in free roam. I talked to another guy who ran into this as well. For me at least, it seems the problem is more likely to occur if I go into the Outfitter during a session.

Anybody else run into this?

JoeBoy101 said:
2) Their remaining copies were a grand total of 2. In the span of roughly 11:30 AM to 1:15 PM, they sold over 20 copies of the game. In the associate's own words, "We've never sold out of a game at launch" (it is a newer Best Buy, but opened about a year, year and a half ago). So it sounds like the game is going like gangbusters.

20 copies thats all? Best Buys for big releases tend to get in over 100 copies at times for releases. Shit they had an entire cage of Tekken 6

Cday said:

Buttercup !

I try not to get attached to them anymore.

If anyone has any spare codes for PS3, I'd love one.

Top Bottom