• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Barrett2

Played the first two hours, plus a little free roam.

Game starts off very slowly; the first few missions are snooze fests. The mechanics feel very antiquated at this point; constantly spamming X to get Marsden or his horse to run is lame, and the overall wonkiness of player movement takes some getting used to; i walked off a cliff during a mission because Marsden for some reason had a really wide turn radius.

I have had a few glimpses of pure joy; the random encounters i had going from town to town, that was when the game came alive. I stumbled upon a gun fight, didn't know what to do, ended up killing a guy, lost honor points or whatever it is, then quietly looted the corpses. A while later i chased a deer into a valley, got off my horse, got lost, stumbled around, then wandered upon a dude getting torn apart by wolves. :lol

The music is fantastic.

kaskade

goat said:
To anyone who ordered the game from Amazon, is the "Golden Gun" code included in the box, or will we get it via e-mail? And if it is done via e-mail, has anyone received their code yet?
They will email it. Usually the email will come a day or two after the game comes out. That's how it worked with every game I've purchased from Amazon.

A certain banned site listed pre-orders of ~450K (for both platforms). Add in Super Mario Galaxy 2 which will have even more pre-orders and the May NPD is going to be off-the-charts.

goat said:
To anyone who ordered the game from Amazon, is the "Golden Gun" code included in the box, or will we get it via e-mail? And if it is done via e-mail, has anyone received their code yet?
It's email and they send it within 10 days of the game.
I'm getting Amazon as well but I have to say the golden guns seem like the worse bonus. They help you get fame faster, which mean unlocking missions faster. I think a bonus that helps you finish the game sooner is terrible.

ckohler said:
About the same if not slightly better. Shoot a guy off his horse and the horse will typically drag his dead body around for until his leg comes loose from the saddle. Kinda funny. On a sadder note, I shot a wolf in the leg once and watched it limp for a while, whimpering, until it died.

that's cool. I remember GTA mostly had people stumbling when shot or pushed, and getting caught in car doors when a driver took off. seems like it's better implemented in RDR compared to GTA or even SW: Force Unleased. Looking forward to checking it out, thanks.

Spookie

Drinking Hatorade said:
pretty sure you whistle and get another asap without having to "break-in" a new one.

There is a delay of about 2-3 mins before another is packed up and given the ability to stop time to keep up with you. :p

speculawyer said:
A certain banned site listed pre-orders of ~450K (for both platforms). Add in Super Mario Galaxy 2 which will have even more pre-orders and the May NPD is going to be off-the-charts.

Too bad we're only getting numbers for the top 5 from now on. :(

Cday

Banned
After the first few missions I was able to roam free and the first thing I did was help a couple of carriages get untangled (one of the carriages itself was parked on the others horses :lol ). So after that I was wanted for vehicle theft and I ran for my life into the middle of nowhere where I proceeded to chase two wild horses on foot and I caught one that wasn't wild but had lost its rider somewhere along the way 10 minutes later. Good start I'd say.

Salz01 said:
So we cant ride trains in Free Roam? <almost deal breaker>
That might have created weird problems.

Could you imagine trying to kill another player and then he hops on train . . . if it allowed instantaneous transport, would he and the train just warp away? :lol

JoeBoy101

Got mine for the 360. All wigged out now though because there's a spot on the read side of the disk which looks slightly discolored. Not scratched though. Get to spend the next 4 hours wondering if it will work. :-/

RavenFox

Banned
Cday said:
After the first few missions I was able to roam free and the first thing I did was help a couple of carriages get untangled (one of the carriages itself was parked on the others horses :lol ). So after that I was wanted for vehicle theft and I ran for my life into the middle of nowhere where I proceeded to chase two wild horses on foot and I caught one that wasn't wild but had lost its rider somewhere along the way 10 minutes later. Good start I'd say.
Amazing! Can't wait.
JoeBoy101 said:
Got mine for the 360. All wigged out now though because there's a spot on the read side of the disk which looks slightly discolored. Not scratched though. Get to spend the next 4 hours wondering if it will work. :-/
Uhmm I would exchange that before your wondering becomes reality.

ShallNoiseUpon said:
Too bad we're only getting numbers for the top 5 from now on. :(
What? We only get the top 5 in NPD now? That sucks! We already know 4/5 of next month: SMG 2, RDR/360, RDR/PS3, and Alan Wake.

Well . . . more always leaks out from the various news sites.

Dan Yo

Banned
Question about the pre-order bonuses. Do the war horse and deadly assassin outfit come inside the box or on the disc or something? Are either of them worth bothering with?

Do both Best Buy and Gamestop give you the "special edition" with the soundtrack or whatever it is that comes in there?

Glix

Got this last night. Did 3 missions and some riding around. I was very impressed.

Graphics are sweet, fighting is great, much better than GTA. Characters and writing all seems up to standards at this point.

Can't wait to play more.

kaskade

JoeBoy101 said:
DVD's are transparent. It could just be from the logo showing on the other side. See if it matches up with a color change or something.

JoeBoy101 said:

Exchange it. From my time working at EB I found that any discoloration or "bubble" (rainbow, warped reflection look) has a 50/50 chance of causing you problems.

sladeums

goat said:

it came packed in the case.
it's a code on an insert, redeemable in-game.

the code is also good for a free download of the soundtrack online.

ummo

Banned
x2_15d264b

wtF?

JoeBoy101

kaskade said:
DVD's are transparent. It could just be from the logo showing on the other side. See if it matches up with a color change or something.

It doesn't. I'm going to take RDRGaf's advice and run right out and exchange it. Its not really bubbled, just not a uniform color all the way around, but like posted, why take chances.

JoeBoy101 said:
It doesn't. I'm going to take RDRGaf's advice and run right out and exchange it. Its not really bubbled, just not a uniform color all the way around, but like posted, why take chances.

Not literally bubbled, but looks the same as if you were to look at soap on top of water.

Solo

Flambe said:
Read Dead + free bluray of The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.. badass

Red Dead + Alan Wake + 20 bucks off is even better. Especially since I already own TGTBATU on VHS, DVD and Bluray :lol

Cobra84

Damn UPS, they normally show up at 10:30 and they are no shows at 1:00.

Lionheart1827 said:
Sorry if this has been asked but does the game have that awesome character physics engine from GTA4/force unleashed? Euphoria right?
Yes it does.

speculawyer said:
What? We only get the top 5 in NPD now? That sucks! We already know 4/5 of next month: SMG 2, RDR/360, RDR/PS3, and Alan Wake.

Well . . . more always leaks out from the various news sites.

I'm pretty sure someone said that in the NPD thread.

Gravijah

PjotrStroganov said:
Ah nice. I took my chances to check the last page of this topic and still got spoilered. Stupid me.

Pretty sure that's fake.

Lionheart1827 said:
Sorry if this has been asked but does the game have that awesome character physics engine from GTA4/force unleashed? Euphoria right?

Yep.

Cobra84 said:
Yes it does.

Sweet. :D

I used to laugh so hard at some of the physics in GTA4 I nearly shit my pants. :lol

MidnightRider said:
My god work is DRAGGGGGGGING today :(

All I want is my horse and my six shooter back in my hands.

Why God why?

I feel ya man, only I haven't even picked mine up yet(also getting Alan Wake)!

Zeliard

Cobra84 said:
Damn UPS, they normally show up at 10:30 and they are no shows at 1:00.

Same. I just called my roommate a few mins ago and he said that it hasn't arrived yet. Usually it's there much earlier. Amazon's never let me down on release-date delivery, but I'm starting to get a bit nervous. ;)

Good thing I didn't take today off.

Ah ok, finally realizing what to do with the Assassin missions and where they are on the map. Just finished the Twin Rock challenge and I'll probably finish it up by later tonight!

The soundtrack is amazing also, each track is unbelievable.

Anyone know what "infected" refers to regarding my account status for R* Social Club? I'm guessing that has to do with the "kill a rockstar employee in multiplayer" achievement in GTA IV?

Also, it's very nice to read all the positive comments thus far! I was a bit concerned after the "R* employee wife's complaints" fiasco a few months back.

Zeliard said:
Same. I just called my roommate a few mins ago and he said that it hasn't arrived yet. Usually it's there much earlier. Amazon's never let me down on release-date delivery, but I'm starting to get a bit nervous. ;)

Good thing I didn't take today off.

lol, you people get stuff from UPS before 2PM? Rarely, and I mean RARELY has ever happened for me. Sometimes they don't come until 5PM

DoctorWho said:
First person I killed online gave me that achievement. Got it yesterday. :D
Is that the one that says "10G - Red Dead Revolver"? I killed a guy and boom there it was. Thought that was just for bein' a damn cold-blooded killer.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
MidnightRider said:
Isn't it a little late to be worried about this?

I don't think you need to pre order, grabbed it at best buy and still got the war horse code

ascully

goat said:

It says they will email it within 10 days of shipping, I hate it when Amazon pull that crap.

Top Bottom