• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Gravijah

Oh my God. :lol

I was doing one of those parameter watches with the dog, I shoot the dude off the horse, I run trying to figure out how to punch him, I ended up behind the guy and I go into an assassination animation where I blow out his brains from behind.

Kingpen

I think I'm going to lose tons of hours on the Texas Hold Em game. It actually isn't too bad.

I only got to play heads up with someone, so I'm hoping to have a fuller table next time I try.

Does anyone know if you can cheat at any of the gambling games? I think it would be really awesome if they implemented this into the games and then if someone caught you, guns would be drawn. I'm really hoping they did implement this.

apparently there is a dice game in this as well...

I'm really digging this old west theme in an open world.

I always know Rockstar San Diego were a good shop with the fantastic Midnight Club series, but this is really taking the cake.

Gravijah

Kingpen said:
I think I'm going to lose tons of hours on the Texas Hold Em game. It actually isn't too bad.

I only got to play heads up with someone, so I'm hoping to have a fuller table next time I try.

Does anyone know if you can cheat at any of the gambling games? I think it would be really awesome if they implemented this into the games and then if someone caught you, guns would be drawn. I'm really hoping they did implement this.

I always know Rockstar San Diego were a good shop with the fantastic Midnight Club series, but this is really taking the cake.

All I gotta say is :D

Teknoman

Kingpen said:

I saw a video clip with the cheating gun draw situation...so not sure if thats in the story or just an event.

Also whats with people getting pissed and stabbing the bargirls just because they laughed at them? Next person I see doing that is getting horse drawn.

JBuccCP

Random thingy I saw:
I was up in the tall trees area looking for beavers when I stumbled upon this guy laying over a dead girl crying. He then drank something and fell over dead, guess he poisoned himself.

I also saw a Mexican guy pissing on a rock once.

game is awesome. Was riding my horse and shot a donkey. skinned and then walked around. noticed a guy standing near a rock. walked up to him and he was taking a piss. crouched down in front so i can get a golden shower :lol.

Definity

Kingpen said:

I cheated last night in poker and got caught..had to go out in the street and settle it with a show down. To be able to cheat in poker you need to
obtain the elegant suit

GQman2121

Banned
So I just got home from Best Buy and tried to download the War Horse, but the number on the receipt that I was told to use doesn't work......I then opened up the game and found the actual download card and code next to the manual!

It looks like you don't redeem the DLC from the PSNstore, but from the games main menu. Does that mean we all can't share with one another?

Damn, UPS has delivered to my house at 10:30AM and 4:30PM before so I'm in for a wait ...

Everything sounds great so far that I've read in this thread and honestly the comparisons to GTAIV controls and such are fine with me. I really can't fathom people expecting 3rd Person Shooter controls or such for this game, that would make no sense and the reason open world games are given leeway is because of all that is going on in the game. You don't fault a car for having shitty rims if there is 156 different cars.

All the impressions sound positive and even if this is a dramatic reenactment of GTA IV new-gameness all over again that's fine, GTA IV was an awesome game and I'm sure RDR will be an excellent game too.

Barrett2

DMPrince said:
game is awesome. Was riding my horse and shot a donkey. skinned and then walked around. noticed a guy standing near a rock. walked up to him and he was taking a piss. crouched down in front so i can get a golden shower :lol.
Euphoria piss physics

owlbeak

So...online is awesome, but a fucking awful bug in Free Mode is that all the models go invisible all the time; horses, people, guns, hats, it's annoying as fuck!

Edit: Just got booted from XBL and apparently there's an update for this game?

ascully

Laekon said:
Just to confirm, Amazon pre-order codes are in the case for the 360 version.

I have the feeling I'm in for a long work day now that I have the game in my hands.

No codes in my Amazon pre order box, hopefully they email them

VALIS

The Gametrailers review made it sound absurdly easy. There are always horses available but if you're too lazy to do that there's fast travel, dying or getting arrested brings very little penalty... bah. I'm still very excited to play this, just a slight bit less so now. It is very off-putting how easy they make games these days. I suppose it's GTA-like in that the difficulty isn't in staying alive but in accumulating money and stats.(?)

BTW, does anyone know off hand what all of the side games are? In the review I saw horseshoes and liar's dice. Anything else?

"social club login failed. please try again."

28uomo.gif

HAS ANYONE BEEN ABLE TO CONNECT TO THIS SHITTY SERVICE? FUCK!

Zeliard

Is it possible to lose a hand in poker and then challenge the winner to a duel?

Or just shoot them in the head right there and then? :lol I'm wondering if the other poker players are actual physical players sitting around a table, or if they only "spawn in" once you actually start a poker game.

Zero Hero said:
4 years later and people are still mad about this? :lol :lol

I guess you missed the point.

Somewhere in late 2009, Sony added the functionality for developers to implement true cross-game invites (through automated PSN messages) and the ability to instantly join friends through the in-game XMB's friendlist into their games.

This removes the need for crappy in-game social environments when it comes to handling invitations and such.

Infinity Ward got it right on PS3, with Modern Warfare 2:
• Cross-game invites
• Joining friends through the XMB
• 'Presence Data' (information about current state in the game below the name of your friends in the friendslist, like for instance: 'Playing Free Roam 6/8')

It basically works the same as on Xbox Live. It just makes sense, perfectly integrates PSN into the game (which makes it feel much less detached) and it's easy to use.

DICE followed, with BF:BC2, but failed to do it right:
• Cross-game invites
• Joining friends through the in-game menu, instead of through the XMB
• No 'Presence Data'

Some time ago, developers had no choice but to create their own in-game structure for the social part of multiplayer. Criterion introduced an excellent system (by using the D-pad to handle everything that's related to multiplayer and your friends), followed by LittleBigPlanet and a few other games. You could basically access this menu from anywhere in the game.

Now Rockstar, among other developers (like EA's Blackbox with Skate 3), ignores these new functionalities completely, by adding their own crappy in-game menu to handle such things.

So, again: FUCK!

Sony should streamline this (by enabling us to press the PS-button upon a message/invite notification so that we can read or accept it immediately) and then make it mandatory, like they did with Trophies.

Question: Do you guys think this is thread-worthy? It's something that I want to get off my chest for a long time now.
-----

Alright... back to talking about the game then!
More impressions please. Still have to wait until Friday =(

Teknoman

VALIS said:
The Gametrailers review made it sound absurdly easy. There are always horses available but if you're too lazy to do that there's fast travel, dying or getting arrested brings very little penalty... bah. I'm still very excited to play this, just a slight bit less so now. It is very off-putting how easy they make games these days. I suppose it's GTA-like in that the difficulty isn't in staying alive but in accumulating money and stats.(?)

BTW, does anyone know off hand what all of the side games are? In the review I saw horseshoes and liar's dice. Anything else?

You can get killed pretty easily if you arent watching yourself.

zsswimmer

Horsebite said:
So...online is awesome, but a fucking awful bug in Free Mode is that all the models go invisible all the time; horses, people, guns, hats, it's annoying as fuck!

Edit: Just got booted from XBL and apparently there's an update for this game?
Well at least you got into online mode. I can't even get into the free mode due to a network error every single time :(

JBuccCP

Zeliard said:
Is it possible to lose a hand in poker and then challenge the winner to a duel?

Or just shoot them in the head right there and then? :lol I'm wondering if the other poker players are actual physical players sitting around a table, or if they only "spawn in" once you actually start a poker game.
They're real people in the world. If they bust out they get up and walk off. I've killed one table of people after I lost, but I don't remember if I got my money back after looting them or just the regular few dollars from looting.

Artex

Banned
I'm praying that there are cheat codes that either just spawn animals, or if you can play as an animal. How awesome would it be to terrorize people as a bear. :lol

Zeliard

JBuccCP said:
They're real people in the world. If they bust out they get up and walk off. I've killed one table of people after I lost, but I don't remember if I got my money back after looting them or just the regular few dollars from looting.

:lol

What do the rest of the people in the bar do when you start shooting fools? Just go off running, or do some shoot back? It happened rarely, but I remember occasionally some civilians in GTAIV shooting back at you if you started something. Presumably this would happen more often in a Wild West setting, where basically everyone is strapped.

Piano

Banned
I'm trying to resist the hype for this game because of how badly I was burned by GTA IV. It looks so good...so good.......

Gravijah

VALIS said:

It's as easy or as hard as you make the game. Which is how I like my games.

BigMack

flyinpiranha said:
Damn, UPS has delivered to my house at 10:30AM and 4:30PM before so I'm in for a wait ...

You're not alone. My Amazon order shipped yesterday at noon EST, and everyone else on here hadn't seen theirs ship yet. Thought I might get it earlier than some but here it is 3:40 pm and still nothing. Guess that's the bad part of living in a college town. UPS I guess has learned not to deliver things during the day when people are out and in class. They usually come around the late afternoon, early evening, so not too much longer. At least I hope not. :(

I've asked this several times but never have had an answer. My retailer right now is getting the game tomorrow and they could deliver it by Thursday. However are not allowed. Why are publishers so strict about release dates?

Barrett2

Artex said:
I'm praying that there are cheat codes that either just spawn animals, or if you can play as an animal. How awesome would it be to terrorize people as a bear. :lol
Or imagine playing as a baby cow, walking up to an unsuspecting player in free roam, and BOOM, nudging him off a cliff.

kai3345

Banned
So I pre-ordered from gamestop and was supposed to get a Soundtrack, I'd assumed it was a second disc included with the game, but all I got was the game, a manual, a download code for the deadeye costume and a map

TxdoHawk

Coin Return said:
Just got signed out of LIVE and was prompted for a game update, I wonder what it did.

Hopefully fixes the MP free roam issues. Those two (invisible models, getting kicked out of games and being unable to join a new one until the entire game or system is restarted) are the glaringly obvious bugs at the moment.

JBuccCP

Zeliard said:
:lol

What do the rest of the people in the bar do when you start shooting fools? Just go off running, or do some shoot back? It happened rarely, but I remember occasionally some civilians in GTAIV shooting back at you if you started something. Presumably this would happen more often in a Wild West setting, where basically everyone is strapped.
Yeah there's all sorts of reactions. Some will start shooting at you, some will run. You don't even have to really shoot *at* someone to set them off. I was next to a campsite with these two guys shooting randomly and they didn't like that too much and both attacked me.

UFRA

TxdoHawk said:
Hopefully fixes the MP free roam issues. Those two (invisible models, getting kicked out of games and being unable to join a new one until the entire game or system is restarted) are the glaringly obvious bugs at the moment.

Hmm, sounds like GTAIV on release day.

TxdoHawk

Meus Renaissance said:
Why are publishers so strict about release dates?

Fairness to stores, basically. If everyone could sell as soon as they received the game, stores with huge shipping operations would be at a large advantage.

UFRA said:
Hmm, sounds like GTAIV on release day.

I don't remember this being an issue, but I'll say this: I kept playing multiplayer on RDR, I probably wouldn't have bothered on GTA4.

Unrelated: I wish friendly fire was turned off for fellow posse members in free roam, or at least there was an option to do so. I've seen several people get killed because they move next to someone who's shooting, and that person automatically starts melee-ing them because they are so close. This is especially annoying when you are in cramped quarters, like a house or church.

Kingpen said:

From what I read, much of the Midnight Club core team was let go, although some moved over to RDR development.

Top Bottom