• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

nickbreckon

Bethesda Community Manager
lawblob said:
Game starts off very slowly

Interesting that some people are feeling this. I thought the opening hour was pretty damn captivating. Was pretty glad that it doesn't start with a giant shoot-em-up sequence or something -- I like Rockstar's slow starts.

Ratsofatsorat said:
Interesting that some people are feeling this. I thought the opening hour was pretty damn captivating. Was pretty glad that it doesn't start with a giant shoot-em-up sequence or something -- I like Rockstar's slow starts.

Yeah, that was a great, mordant scene. Not over the top with the commentary, but the point it was trying to make was inescapable. Great stuff.

owlbeak

For those of you possibly still on the fence about where to buy this, here's some shots I took of the Gamestop Special Edition box just to show the difference..

Olivero said:
I am so conflicted. If you could have only one.... which one?

Thats a toughie. Get both, trade in stuff, sell a puppy. But really one will last you much longer then the other. Though whichever one you don't pick up, pick the other one up later or rent it! :D bing, bang, boom!

Now excuse me, I feel the need to go run to Tombstone Arizona (15 minute drive away). Dress like a cowboy and run around with my copy of Red Dead Redemption. Yeap I literally live in the wild west! Arizona! You motherfuckers play it.. I fucking live it. :lol but really... this game is going to be sick!

Net_Wrecker said:
lol, you people get stuff from UPS before 2PM? Rarely, and I mean RARELY has ever happened for me. Sometimes they don't come until 5PM
Well somebody has to get the first packages of the day. I'm near the highway from the UPS center so I usually see them before noon. The real problem is that they don't have a consistent delivery system for my apartments. Sometime they bring it to the building and if you aren't there they post the note on the door. Other times they put the note on your mailbox and or have to go get the package locker key. Even other times they just give all the packages to the front office and then put the note in your mailbox.

Decado

TheCardPlayer said:
And this, folks, is what GTAIV should have been. This one deserves the scores. Hell yeah!
You sure? Or are we going to hear about how over-rated this game is in a month?

I got caught up in the GTAIV hype and am leary of this title. Open-world games seem to be immune to normal complaints and have standards so low I no longer trust reviews.

Relative to other 3rd person shooters like Uncharted and Gears, how does combat and movement play out? If it isn't at that level I probably won't bite.

Gravijah

BenjaminBirdie said:
Yeah, that was a great, mordant scene. Not over the top with the commentary, but the point it was trying to make was inescapable. Great stuff.

The opening scene/music is awesome. I loved it.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Dan Yo said:
I have a friends that work at best buy and gamestop. I'm just not sure which one to go for.

then you're choosing between a war horse (best buy) and Deadly Assassin outfit/soundtrack (gamestop)

MaxSteel

Decado said:

I got caught up in the GTAIV hype and am leary of this title. Open-world games seem to be immune to normal complaints and have standards so low I no longer trust reviews.

Relative to other 3rd person shooters like Uncharted and Gears, how does combat and movement play out? If it isn't at that level I probably won't bite.

c'mon now - you know that's not possible in an open world game like this.

Gravijah

seady said:
Funny everyone only post pictures of the special edition. Without pictures of the regular edition, how would I know the 'difference'?

Imagine a plastic case. It's green or clear. Now imagine the box art on it. Bingo!

Kintaco

NEOPARADIGM said:
And so the wait officially begins. My UPS guy doesn't hit my house for another 5-6 hours. :(

Think it's time for a nice, long nap. :)
Same here. I was bummed out to see that it was shipped Next Day Air SAVER! Oh well, luckily I'm basically unemployed at the moment.

Dude Abides

Banned
Decado said:

If you're looking for a 3rd person shooter you should probably pass.

Dan Yo

Banned
levious said:
then you're choosing between a war horse (best buy) and Deadly Assassin outfit/soundtrack (gamestop)
Yup. Are they usable in multiplayer? Sounds to me like the war horse would be better but not really sure.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
+1000 to the person who said this is what GTAIV should have been.

GTAIV was one of my biggest disappointments this gen. Five hours in, and Red Dead really is redemption. But then, Midnight Club LA was also fantastic and my favorite racer this gen. I guess Rock Star San Diego hasn't forgotten how to make games.

This has also got to be the best western game I've ever seen.

owlbeak

MaxSteel said:
that costs more or that's standard?
Standard. Supposedly you had to preorder to get the special edition, but when I was picking up my copy, kids were coming in with no preorder and the guy was selling them the special edition. You may just wanna ask.

Decado

Dude Abides said:
If you're looking for a 3rd person shooter you should probably pass.
I'm looking for an open-world game that doesn't control like shit.

I do not see why it can't happen. Mafia (albeit on the PC) did it well.

EzLink

Banned
Blah. Watching The Unforgiven for the first time to help keep me from going crazy waiting for the UPS dude

I am absolutely loving the Western genre though. Up until a couple days ago, when I watched 3:10 to Yuma, I had never seen a Western in my life. Loved the movie. Then rented Magnificent Seven, which I also loved. And so far The Unforgiven is excellent as well

HURRY UP UPS GUY

Laekon

Just to confirm, Amazon pre-order codes are in the case for the 360 version.

I have the feeling I'm in for a long work day now that I have the game in my hands.

Decado said:

Yup I'm wanting to pick this up after work but apprehensive because of the hyping of GTA4 and hated the hell out of that.

JUST GOT MY COPY! Surprisingly enough, it was via UPS from Amazon. Usually, I dont get packages from them until later on in the day.

Anyway, gonna hop on. I don't see a multiplayer group or anything set up, but my GT is Some Weaklin if anyone wants to get a group of free roam going.

joelseph

EzLink said:
Blah. Watching The Unforgiven for the first time to help keep me from going crazy waiting for the UPS dude

I am absolutely loving the Western genre though. Up until a couple days ago, when I watched 3:10 to Yuma, I had never seen a Western in my life. Loved the movie. Then rented Magnificent Seven, which I also loved. And so far The Unforgiven is excellent as well

HURRY UP UPS GUY

Watch Big Hand for a Little Lady

I got Alan Wake and RDR at same time. Seems I am not in a minority as I thought I would. Problem is I still need to finish FFXIII, Dragon Age, BFBC2 multiplayer achievements, and Brutal Legend.

I also need to rent UC2, GOW3, and Heavy Rain. Damn this summer, my fulltime internship and soon to be coming 9 hours a week of summer school

Decado

MaxSteel said:
c'mon now - you know that's not possible in an open world game like this.
Why? Good controls shouldn't be beyond the realm of possibility.

BTW, is there (or will there be) a PC version?

Top Bottom