• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

bridegur

Has any sort of climbing function been implemented, or are you still essentially stuck to the ground? That bothered me quite a bit in GTA4.

I'm going crazy over this treasure map. Am I supposed to have a shovel item or something to find it? I don't get it

shit. finally. that was confusing.

Kaako said:
And the credits roll...

Dear lord!

This is definately a game to savour.

Good thing there's lots of stuff to do on the side.

bridegur said:
Has any sort of climbing function been implemented, or are you still essentially stuck to the ground? That bothered me quite a bit in GTA4.
It's like GTAIV, hop over fences, climb some ledges. No Assassin's Creed antics, if thats what your wondering.

So I'm riding along on my horse when all of a sudden I see a lady on the side of the road, asking for a lift. Being the gentleman that I am, I stop to help her out, when she jumps on my horse and kicks me off. As she rides away, I do not shoot her, allowing my honor to grow. All I do? Whistle! The horse bucks her off and rides back to me.

In the mood for some revenge, I chase after her, lasso drawn. I am terrible at lassoing so I have been chasing her for about fifty yards and she's cleared a hill. I whistle for my horse again, get on, and try to go after her. Suddenly, as I'm 10 feet away, I hear a roar and her scream. Her blip has disappeared on the radar. Then, I hear the roar again and I'm off my horse, lying dead on the ground. I see a mountain lion standing over the horse, right next to me. Standing there with a lasso drawn, I try to quickly change weapons, but to no avail. The lion mauls me and I'm "DEAD".

That was the moment I realized this game was incredible.

Skiptastic said:
So I'm riding along on my horse when all of a sudden I see a lady on the side of the road, asking for a lift. Being the gentleman that I am, I stop to help her out, when she jumps on my horse and kicks me off. As she rides away, I do not shoot her, allowing my honor to grow. All I do? Whistle! The horse bucks her off and rides back to me.
Some asshole did this to me and my first instinct was to shoot his ass DEAD. Next time I'll definitely call for the horse. :lol

-PXG-

Thinking about buying this mother tomorrow. Leaning towards PS3 version (since I get most multiplat games on PS3 anyway). Yay or nay?

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
-PXG- said:
Thinking about buying this mother tomorrow. Leaning towards PS3 version (since I get most multiplat games on PS3 anyway). Yay or nay?

Yay or nay for buying this game or for the PS3 version? If the PS3 platform is your platform of choice, than Yay either way.

DMeisterJ

Banned
-PXG- said:
There is a whole thread dedicated to that question.
Either version is fine

Kaako

Felium Defensor
-PXG- said:
Regardless of platform, this game is a fuck yay! Buy it...I'll guarantee you won't be disappointed man.

This is so annoying. I've only been able to stay in a Free Roam for like 2 minutes before being disconnected, and from that point being unable to join another one until restarting my 360. Really hope they get these issues ironed out.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
I don't think there will be a backlash for this game. The offline portion is just about perfect. Seriously, I can't understand anyone, having a single deal breaking complaint about RDR's single player campaign.

Now, about the MP... I am sure it will get fixed, so I don't think it's really a problem. Plus we can all turn invisible! AWESOME!

Zeliard

Haha, I just did a bounty where I ended up killing everyone except the main bandit, who I then chased for over a minute after he tailed off on his horse. He was really gunning it.

When I caught up to him I shot him off his horse and when I got up to him, he was on his knees taunting me. I went behind him and shot him in the back of the head with the carbine, and the camera automatically went to a profile view as Martson pulled the trigger. It was unexpectedly cool, and the angle captured it perfectly.

MMaRsu

Eric WK said:
Favorite moment so far: Riding toward the oil derricks to find that the settlement is called Plainview.

<3 Rockstar.

Why is that awesome? Am I missing a reference there?

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
man I fucking love amazon.

I just broke down and decided to order the game, so I went on amazon, added it to my cart and realized it was giving me 10 bucks off from a previous game purchase. On top of that, I'm getting 20 bucks off a future game purchase for buying RDR, so I'll get 20 bucks off my purchase of SMG2, which will give me 20 bucks off another future purchase (probably alan wake.)

how the fuck do they afford this?

If I had bought all this in-store I would have spent $170+tax, instead I'm paying a flat $120 and didn't spend a dime on gas or waste any time fighting traffic.

sorry for the aside, but seriously, how do they afford it?

Kaako

Felium Defensor
MMaRsu said:
Why is that awesome? Am I missing a reference there?
2007_daniel_day-lewis_twbb.jpg

On a side note: fuck those cougars! Got my beautiful horses killed couple of times by them. Even before this one mission, out of nowhere the fucker pops up from behind and kills my poor horse. This one time though, I heard one of em and instantly went into slow mode shooting mode and did a 180 turn and shot the fucker in the head with a double-barrel shotgun. Then I cursed at its dead corpse for a good minute or two.

Kaako said:
And the credits roll...

*tear*

Thank you R* San Diego for an amazing experience. Loved it from start to finish pretty much. I soooo wouldn't mind another one (please).

haha... what!? why would you want to race through a game you love so much that fast? i dont get people like this. makes absolutely no sense.

Kholdstare

Tried to take cover behind a wagon wheel during this intense fight I was having with this gang.

As soon as I went into cover my dude started to freak out and all of a sudden it launches me super high in the air. I then fall to my death.

:lol

MMaRsu

Kaako said:
2007_daniel_day-lewis_twbb.jpg

On a side note: fuck those cougars! Got my beautiful horses killed couple of times by them. Even before this one mission, out of nowhere the fucker pops up from behind and kills my poor horse. This one time though, I heard one of em and instantly went into slow mode shooting mode and did a 180 turn and shot the fucker in the head with a double-barrel shotgun. Then I cursed at its dead corpse for a good minute or two.

Never saw the movie yet. Seemed kinda slow & boring to me. Not that I have anything against slow movies but eh

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
4 hours of MP. I haven't commited like that in a long time. The scenery is breathtaking (PS3). So many wow vistas. I haven't had any major slowdown in 8 hours of play. SP is awesome. GoTY thus far, easily.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
gibration said:
hey what console did you get this for?
thecouncil said:
haha... what!? why would you want to race through a game you love so much that fast? i dont get people like this. makes absolutely no sense.
Here's the thing, if I really like a game I won't put it down and usually play it for looong periods of time. Also, I didn't really rush through the game...I did a bunch of side quests/hunting/environmental challenges and such. Being fortunate enough with a good hookup to get an early copy also helps.

I bought the property on the upstairs of a saloon, take a nap wake up and head down stairs and take 6 shots of whiskey, got wasted passed out of the floor for a min, got up shot the piano player for getting smart with me, whisled my horse running out of there gun a blazing, jumped onto my horse its pouring rain as I ride out of there with awesome banjo riffs playing. :lol

this games awesome

so i've found the general area of where a treasure is hidden... do i need a shovel or anything to get it, or do i just need to be standing where it's buried?

just played since LOST ended a few hours ago. It's not mindblowingly awesome like some people are saying but the environment looks great and there is so much to do. Definitely addicting and worth your time, it just hasn't wowed me yet. I'm 21% through though, so much more to do!

Got home pretty late and had it waiting on my doorstep. Got to the point where I could sleep/save and I'm already in love with it. Can't wait to get off work tomorrow.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
2 things:

1. How do I restart a side mission? I accidentally killed a main dude who seemed like he was trying to play me with a fake broken leg. I held him up then he trried to kill me so I shot him in the face, now the mission says "Failed" and I don't know how to retry.

2. For the Water & whatever mission, I hogtied the property owned but at the end of it there was still blood on the deed. Shit makes no sense.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
NameGenerated said:
2 things:

1. How do I restart a side mission? I accidentally killed a main dude who seemed like he was trying to play me with a fake broken leg. I held him up then he trried to kill me so I shot him in the face, not the mission says "Failed" and I don't know how to retry.

2. For the Water & whatever mission, I hogtied the property owned but at the end of it there was still blood on the deed. Shit makes no sense.

1. I think if you come back later he'll be there.

one awesome thing. I got ran over by a train early on, so for payback the next train I saw I took a random far away shot and it killed the driver and the entire train screeched to a halt. :lol

Purexed

Banned
Only 20 mins in and being floored by the presentation values, I'm gonna have some fun here... :D

Not why I'm posting though...

At Gamestop, I went in to buy the game and the clerks were telling me something I couldn't believe. They were saying that because I didn't preorder the game, they have to gut the game open to remove the downloadable code because it was Gamestop exclusive. To get the game sealed and completely intact, they could bend the rules if I preordered any another game. I ended up caving and doing it because I had 200 bucks on an Edge card, but I was EXTREMELY pissed about the scenario and the despicable lecture about how it pays to reserve there...

Was this a corporate mandate these dudes were following or did these guys just bamboozle me for a preorder?!?

Purexed said:
Only 20 mins in and being floored by the presentation values, I'm gonna have some fun here... :D

At Gamestop, I went in to buy the game and the clerks were telling me something I couldn't believe. They were saying that because I didn't preorder the game, they have to gut the game open to remove the downloadable code because it was Gamestop exclusive. To get the game sealed and completely intact, they could bend the rules if I preordered any another game. I ended up caving and doing it because I had 200 bucks on an Edge card, but I was EXTREMELY pissed about the scenario and the despicable lecture about how it pays to reserve there...

Was this a corporate mandate these dudes were following or did these guys just bamboozle me for a preorder?!?
Sounds like a bit of both.

DanielPlainview said:
just played since LOST ended a few hours ago. It's not mindblowingly awesome like some people are saying but the environment looks great and there is so much to do. Definitely addicting and worth your time, it just hasn't wowed me yet. I'm 21% through though, so much more to do!

Smoke some weed and play, shits amazing. West Dickens :lol

Mii

Banned
My copy arrives tomorrow or Thursday. I generally avoid R* games, but this looks absolutely phenomenal. I haven't been this excited for an original game (yadda yadda ya Red Dead Revolver blah blah blah bullshit) in years.

The voice acting and environments are what have me most excited for this game; the multiplayer free-roam sounds amazing as well (minus the invisible everything).

conman

Purexed said:
I think it was a GS exclusive, but that doesn't make it any less of a dick move.

Mik2121

Man, what the heck is wrong with Play-Asia, they still don't have the stock for RDR.. this is getting annoying :(

Hopefully they update later today....

noisome07

Banned
LiquidMetal14 said:
4 hours of MP. I haven't commited like that in a long time. The scenery is breathtaking (PS3). So many wow vistas. I haven't had any major slowdown in 8 hours of play. SP is awesome. GoTY thus far, easily.

this made me :lol i don't know why

Purexed said:

LOL...you got hustled son. Call the DM asap.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Menelaus said:
Nope. Now I'm pissed. No GC credit in my account, and no preorder bonus in the box. Amazon is getting yelled at tomorrow.

My code from Amazon was on a little page under the map and booklet. I didn't get the credit yet.

Top Bottom