• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
I'm only 30 minutes into this game and... man, this is some of the sharpest writing I've ever heard in a video game. I mean it. The retorts are hilarious but not forced at all. So far, I'm impressed, to say the least.

brentech

Menelaus said:
consider me late to the thread, but i didn't get any notification from Amazon about my preorder bonus (golden guns) or my 20 dollar gift card. anyone else in the same boat?
As I ordered through them as well, once my fee was pushed through for the purchase, my $20 gift cert was available within: "Your Account" -> "View Gift Certificate/Card Balance".

Zeliard

Topher said:
Something that I have never understood. Why R* won't allow your character to sit down and enjoy the environment. They put so much work into this game; how hard would it be for them to have a sit button when you go near a chair or bench?

Game's also missing a cigarillo for your character to be chewing on while casually shooting bandits.

Menelaus said:
consider me late to the thread, but i didn't get any notification from Amazon about my preorder bonus (golden guns) or my 20 dollar gift card. anyone else in the same boat?

I'm also waiting on the gift card so I can use it on this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001U6YI92/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Ends up matching perfectly. :)

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
timkunedo said:
wow hunting bandits in multiplayer is so much fun! :D I can't wait to hunker down and get some quality hours put into this thing!

Too fun, man. Had a blast! Best shot of the night goes to the bandit in the basement of the mission you and I were clearing out, I'm easing down the stairs, you go rushing in and he nails you with a double-barrel, sending your body rag-dolling into the wall! Course I died seconds later...

Yopis

Topher said:
Something that I have never understood. Why R* won't allow your character to sit down and enjoy the environment. They put so much work into this game; how hard would it be for them to have a sit button when you go near a chair or bench?

You read my mind I have been saying this for years.Everybody else is sitting down but you can't on command. Why ?

Teknoman

IAmtheFMan said:
So I popped the game in, did the intro stuff, then promptly took out the game, went to my computer, burned "Black Holes and Revelations" onto a CD, put that CD in my 360, transferred the tracks to my 360 HDD, and put the game disc back in, just so I could ride around to Knights of Cydonia.

Good game thus far.

Missing out man. Original soundtrack is awesome.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Aigis said:
Just had a storm roll through Armadillo then a bunch of those gangsters in top hats start shooting the place up. Pretty cool. Killed em all.

Golden guns should be in the box.

Mine isn't. It says "Max Payne 3" coming soon

dammit

Is there a way to be more selective about what Dead Eye shoots?

I was trying to shoot some bandits in town but a civilian just happened to be between them and got marked without me realizing it.

Big-ass Ramp

:O

The lighting at night is amazing.

Sorry, just got the game, so my praises of the game's fundamentals may be a bit late, but hopefully fashionable so.

ShockingAlberto said:

I was trying to shoot some bandits in town but a civilian just happened to be between them and got marked without me realizing it.

Yeah, level 2 is terrible. Level 3 fixes that.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Holy shit I've played close to 2 hours and I've just been hunting wildlife!

I'm in stillwater creek and I have been attacked by wild boards and lions. Luckily they keep jumping into the water and killing themselves. :lol

pedr0theli0n

Neo Member
so I totally bought into the hype of GTAIV and ended up not really liking it all that much... I'll probably get RDR either way, but do you think I'll like it if I wasn't a huge fan of GTA?

Teknoman

ShockingAlberto said:

Nope, even in multiplayer, I mowed down a posse member when we were clearing out some bandits.

just started the game half an hour ago... went around shooting everyone, so three law enforcement guys started shooting at me

i ran into the hills with the three guys whizzing bullets past my head, when all of a sudden i hear, "oh god, help, please help"

this guy runs out of the woods getting chased by three wolves or coyotes. we just look at one another as we run for our lives in opposite directions

this game is great :lol

Levi

Banned
I got the US special edition, but my download of the soundtrack failed. Now it's telling me I can't redownload. Anyone have any luck getting those jerkfaces at R* to reissue a download link? Be annoying if I have to end up torrenting something I'm legally entitled to.

Free roam is soooo awesome, I just wish I didn't turn invisible every few minutes. :/

Hopefully a patch will come soon and fix this shit!

GeoramA

Rapping Granny said:
Damn played this game for 9 hours straight, last time I did that was Super Mario 64.

Fucking Goty.
Logged on PSN four times today and saw you playing every time :lol

Wish my copy would hurry the fuck up.

UrbanRats

pedr0theli0n said:
so I totally bought into the hype of GTAIV and ended up not really liking it all that much... I'll probably get RDR either way, but do you think I'll like it if I wasn't a huge fan of GTA?
At the core there's the GTA4 engine and gameplay, the gamedesign although similar, have a bunch of features that make it feel far more profound and "dense".
Moral system, random generated events in the game world, economic system, and in general a much more alive playground.

Respect+100 for the avatar, BTW. ;)

MMaRsu

First of all, what an annoying fuck that GS reviewer is in the video review..my god talking about no charisma at all. And they played the game using auto aim? Fucking mega fail if there ever was one.

dominuece

This game is awesome! There is so much to do and Rockstar completely captured the Wild West as seen in movies and television. Calling your horse with the push of a button is cool.
getting it stolen is not!

MMaRsu said:
First of all, what an annoying fuck that GS reviewer is in the video review..my god talking about no charisma at all. And they played the game using auto aim? Fucking mega fail if there ever was one.

Just saw that right now, yea it was horrible.

Big-ass Ramp

MMaRsu said:

about par for the course for Gamespot post-Gerstmann.

pedr0theli0n

Neo Member
UrbanRats said:
At the core there's the GTA4 engine and gameplay, the gamedesign although similar, have a bunch of features that make it feel far more profound and "dense".
Moral system, random generated events in the game world, economic system, and in general a much more alive playground.

Respect+100 for the avatar, BTW. ;)
right back at ya man! blew my mind when i heard gy!be was reuniting. such an unbelievable group
anyway, i think the setting alone is likely enough to make it a more enjoyable game. will probably pick it up this weekend

MMaRsu said:

Does RDR use the GTA4 aiming scheme?

Teknoman

PSN Posse, i'll jump in with you guys later. Still need to get a grip on all the free roam challenges beside beating up outlaws. We need to take out some bears or something :lol

Sidzed2

Hey hey hey everybody

Could anyone tell me whether the walking / navigation controls feel like they did in GTA4? Because I tried to play some Episodes From Liberty City the other day and I just could not stand how the player characters moved around in the world, alll tilty and slow and stilted.

Basically, I just wanna know whether the core movement mechanics are re-skinned? Because if so, I know i'm just going to be annoyed by this game.

Dizzle24

Just completed 2 "Stranger" missions. Oh my fucking lord.
"American Appetite" and "Flowers for a Lady"
some demented shit right there. It threw me off because i really havent seen much of the usual "Rockstar insanity" but its definitely in this game.

Big-ass Ramp

pedr0theli0n said:
right back at ya man! blew my mind when i heard gy!be was reuniting. such an unbelievable group
anyway, i think the setting alone is likely enough to make it a more enjoyable game. will probably pick it up this weekend

Not to stray too far OT, but Godspeed is reuniting?! News to me. Great news to me, actually.

As for your original question, I don't think this game is that much like GTA4 to bother someone. You can see the similarities, but for the most part, the similarities are because they use the same engine. Outside of that, they are very different games.

MMaRsu

Valkyr Junkie said:
Does RDR use the GTA4 aiming scheme?

Not necessarily. You can put it on hard or expert aiming.. so that means no lockon. Why would anybody want to play with lock on unless you have some sort of condition which makes it easier for you to play with autoaim :p.

Big-ass Ramp

Sidzed2 said:
Hey hey hey everybody

Could anyone tell me whether the walking / navigation controls feel like they did in GTA4? Because I tried to play some Episodes From Liberty City the other day and I just could not stand how the player characters moved around in the world, alll tilty and slow and stilted.

Basically, I just wanna know whether the core movement mechanics are re-skinned? Because if so, I know i'm just going to be annoyed by this game.

The walking is similar, but re-engineered in a way that makes it seem like an upgrade. It feels much faster and snappier.

-PXG-

I always plan my game purchases ahead. I never buy things on impulse. The more I look into this game, the more awesome it looks. DAMNIT! AH! I can't. Got like eight games in the last month. I can't do it. AAAAAAAAAH!

Risette

A Good Citizen
Even though the combat is kinda the same as GTA4, it feels... better, I guess. Not getting shot at with semiautomatic shotguns, assault rifles, and SMGs type of better. Simple guns improve the gameplay a lot imo.

Hopefully for the next GTA they make it to where every common drug dealer/gangster isn't as well equipped as military and SWAT guys.

pedr0theli0n

Neo Member
Big Ass Ramp said:
Not to stray too far OT, but Godspeed is reuniting?! News to me. Great news to me, actually.

As for your original question, I don't think this game is that much like GTA4 to bother someone. You can see the similarities, but for the most part, the similarities are because they use the same engine. Outside of that, they are very different games.

yeah, details are slim still but, looks like they'll be coming back for some shows at least. http://www.1119732.net/ sorry if OT

bathala

Banned
game is awesome.

Been trying to log-in to social club since this morning; to luck.

sux that there isn't more Gang Hideout for Free Roam. Finished all of the hideout already. Game needs a randomizer

Kaako

Felium Defensor
And the credits roll...

*tear*

Thank you R* San Diego for an amazing experience. Loved it from start to finish pretty much. I soooo wouldn't mind another one (please).

Darkman M

Kaako said:
And the credits roll...

*tear*

Thank you R* San Diego for an amazing experience. Loved it from start to finish pretty much. I soooo wouldn't mind another one (please).

the hell..............

MMaRsu

Kaako said:
And the credits roll...

*tear*

WTF already? Or did you have an *y'arrr* version? Just asking, because otherwise it would seem you have finished the game in what, 12 hours or something?

Kaako

Felium Defensor
MMaRsu said:
WTF already? Or did you have an ARR version? Just asking, because otherwise it would seem you have finished the game in what, 12 hours or something?
A friend hooked it up early if I promised to keep quiet and not reveal identity. I pretty much played the game nonstop as well. Sooo good.

Edit:
KePoW said:
What the hell? You did all the sidequests and everything?

If so, that doesn't bode well... would seem pretty short.
Didn't do all the side-quests but most of them. The game is pretty long, trust me on this one.

KePoW

Banned
Kaako said:
And the credits roll...

*tear*

What the hell? You did all the sidequests and everything?

If so, that doesn't bode well... would seem pretty short.

Top Bottom