• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Do those ps3 exclusives just appear in the game eventually, or is there some psn code you have to enter?

Druz

Are there only a few things to do in Free Roam or are none of my friends doing it right?

1) Run around shooting other players
2) Find a bandit camp and kill them
3) Shoot an animal

OK, I finally have my stereo re-wired, is anyone holding a late night ps3 free roam?
Also, God bless whomever invented banana plugs for speakers.

One minor gripe so far. The poker AI is developmentally challenged. If they check the flop, min bet and you can see if they have a hand or not because if they fold they don't. Raise 6 into a 200 chip pot? Fold. Aarrgg! Took me 15 minutes to blind out the final guy at the Armadillo 3/6 table.

IMACOMPUTA

I love this game.

My main complaints -

1. No compass on the radar
2. The camera angle changing after skinning an animal (this combined with number 1 = disoriented)
3. The fact that no matter what weapon you have out (fists, lasso, etc.) if you L target someone, they're hostile towards you.
4. Sometimes you can't lasso people you're fighting. It happens every once in a while.. Like you have to kill them. It's really annoying when you die because you happen to be fighting a key character that can't be lasso'd.

Other than that, as of right now this game is a complete blast. I'm totally soaked in the atmosphere and story. I find myself making decisions in this game as I actually would in real life, and I never do that in video games. I guess that's a testament to the fleshed out characters and world.

D23

i love this game!!

its so addicting, i keep saying to myself one more mission... but there's so much stuff to do and eventually i ended up playing for two more hours. :lol :lol

Teknoman

Druz said:
Are there only a few things to do in Free Roam or are none of my friends doing it right?

1) Run around shooting other players
2) Find a bandit camp and kill them
3) Shoot an animal

Those and whatever challenges are in the challenge menu.

Rikyfree

Is there a guide somewhere that says what you get after you fully complete a challenge like for instance if you complete all the sharpshooter challenges?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
IMACOMPUTA said:
I love this game.

My main complaints -

1. No compass on the radar

Cardinal North is highlighted on the radar. It's a little arrow on the outer edge of the circle, just take a close look and once you see it, you can't unsee it.

EzLink

Banned
I bought a gun from the gunstore (can't remember the full name, but it had volcano in it) and its nowhere to be found. Can't access it from the weapons wheel, doesn't show that I have it on my weapons menu, still sold out at the gunshop. At least its just a shitty gun but still, weird

Brandon F said:
Cardinal North is highlighted on the radar. It's a little arrow on the outer edge of the circle, just take a close look and once you see it, you can't unsee it.

Tis true:

2ezs268.jpg

TestMonkey said:
One minor gripe so far. The poker AI is developmentally challenged. If they check the flop, min bet and you can see if they have a hand or not because if they fold they don't. Raise 6 into a 200 chip pot? Fold. Aarrgg! Took me 15 minutes to blind out the final guy at the Armadillo 3/6 table.

I dunno. Not saying it's great, but I played a full (i.e., patient) game and I'd say the AI is at least comparable to what we've seen in games like Stacked, WSOP, High Stakes, the poker game you have on your phone, etc. Gotta figure they're all using a similar algorithm. You'll generally win if you're smart and patient, you'll generally lose if you're an idiot/impatient. Can't really ask for much more.

My only complaints with this game are:

1. You skin animals with such frequency, I can do without Marston commenting "That stinks" and "Let's get this over with" every time. Would be much more mature and believable if he would just shut the fuck up during those scenes. Same goes with all his commentary with you tell your horse to hurry up, etc. A simple "giddyup" would be fine.

2. Jaggies on PS3 version are pretty goddamn terrible. Way better than GTAIV, but still not up to modern standard of KZ2, UC2, GOWIII, even MGS4, etc. Definitely looks "good," but could look so much better.

Nothing else really comes to mind in terms of negatives (although I'm sure there's some other things I could nitpick). Going with 9.2/10; would be a 9.5 with better graphics; would be a 10 with some greater attention to little details (i.e., my nitpicks).

Cheers.

Snowballo

Could you US users rate the Multiplayer from 0 to 10 and compare that to other funny multiplayer games out there (such as MW2, Uncharted 2,...)?

The Multiplayer is:
[] Awesome
[] Just good
[] Average
[] Bad

Better than:
[] Name_it
[] Name_it

Worst than:
[] Name_it
[] Name_it

Thanks so much

Amir0x

Banned
Finally got my copy!

I think this game is gonna be pretty big. There was 36 people online in my friends list today, and 28 of 'em were playing Red Dead Redemption. Usually I can pretty accurately tell which games are gonna be moderate-to-big hits this way. Actually, more people playing this on my list than Splinter Cell when it came out earlier a few weeks back.

-Mikey-

EzLink said:
I bought a gun from the gunstore (can't remember the full name, but it had volcano in it) and its nowhere to be found. Can't access it from the weapons wheel, doesn't show that I have it on my weapons menu, still sold out at the gunshop. At least its just a shitty gun but still, weird

Select your pistol and then hit right or left on the d-pad.

_tetsuo_ said:
Anyone else have trouble with the game being very dark?

I had to mess with the brightness in the system settings. But yes, the game is pretty dark at night and when it rains.

Snowballo said:
Could you US users rate the Multiplayer from 0 to 10 and compare that to other funny multiplayer games out there (such as MW2, Uncharted 2,...)?

The Multiplayer is:
[x] Awesome
[] Just good
[] Average
[] Bad

The best way to describe it is a mixture between Gears/Uncharted 2 and GTA 4. It's not perfect, but it is incredibly fun.

The Mexican stand off between each round is just brilliant.

Better than:
Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2
GTA 4

Worst than:
Battlefield: Bad Company 2

MaxSteel

i'm trying to play the game as a bad dude - lots of killing, lots of stealing - but it's so hard with the bounties. i go into town, people start shooting at me. am i missing something?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Having a ton of fun in the single player so far. Controls are a bit clunky, but you can live with them. Could have definitely been improved though. Shooting feels good though.

Currently doing missions between Armadillo and Boonie. Some strangers, some nightwatch, some bounties. Good times. Haven't really jumped into the mini-games yet. The weather is pretty cool too. I had a duel with some dude in the pouring rain. Looked pretty badass when I pumped 5 bullets into his pathetic face. Muhahaha...

One more thing. Like Niko (before the bank) in GTA4, its very hard to be a bad guy. Like, it doesn't feel right and in Marston's character to do anything bad/chaotic.

Oh yeah, got mauled by a cougar. Fucker. =(

MaxSteel said:
i'm trying to play the game as a bad dude - lots of killing, lots of stealing - but it's so hard with the bounties. i go into town, people start shooting at me. am i missing something?

It's hard to be bad?

Something a lot of other games in the same vein seem to fail at. Being bad in other games is pretty easy and you just get arrested or something. This one will just keep that bounty on your head until you decide to pay up and fly straight.

Lolligag

Is there an option to keep the map from not moving and have the arrow twirl around instead for the minimap? I hate spinny maps. :(

How do you download the soundtrack if you bought it from Gamestop? I read earlier that its a download but I entered the code in the box and only unlocked the Assassin outfit.

Dresden

Escalation said:
How do you download the soundtrack if you bought it from Gamestop? I read earlier that its a download but I entered the code in the box and only unlocked the Assassin outfit.
go to the website they list on the card and enter it there.

Seanspeed

Banned
NEOPARADIGM said:
My only complaints with this game are:

1. You skin animals with such frequency, I can do without Marston commenting "That stinks" and "Let's get this over with" every time. Would be much more mature and believable if he would just shut the fuck up during those scenes. Same goes with all his commentary with you tell your horse to hurry up, etc. A simple "giddyup" would be fine.
Pretty sure that after skinnning an animal twice, the animation stops, and you just get the meat immediately after pressing 'skin animal'.

TTG

Some quick impressions after a couple of hours:

1. This game has a different look from anything else I've played. After a minute or two, I finally got why that is. Absolutely huge and for the most part FLAT game world. I can see why nobody else wants to attempt that either, getting something as simple as that to look great must be very challenging. Far Cry 2 comes close, but the camera angle of Marston riding on a horse vs the first person view in Far Cry alone makes a huge difference. Game looks incredible, simply said it's up to a Rockstar quality.

2. I'm very happy with the depth of the different systems being simulated in the game. After the initial walkthrough videos, there was a lot of talk about "GTA in the west". Well, GTAIV is not big on some of the "RPG" elements I was hoping to find in RDR. Beyond your arsenal and a couple of garaged cars, there's nothing to keep track of that matters. RDR has a myriad of different challenges going along with side missions. :D

Also, if anyone can make sense of the first treasure map(
chinese guy that you have to rescue hands it over
) let me know. I have no idea where to start looking.

Seanspeed said:
Pretty sure that after skinnning an animal twice, the animation stops, and you just get the meat immediately after pressing 'skin animal'.

I actually get the vibe that that's a glitch. It's more like, you skin an animal twice, then the third time you don't get the animation, then the fourth time it's back again. Rinse and repeat. Regardless, the animation is cool; I'm talking about hearing Marston's comments (all three of them) every time you skin something. After skinning 30 animals, I've just about had enough, and I'm only 5 hour into the game. Some grunts or silence would be preferable to him repeating the same four lines over and over.

TTG said:
Also, if anyone can make sense of the first treasure map(
chinese guy that you have to rescue hands it over
) let me know. I have no idea where to start looking.

If it's the map I think you're talking about, look at
Hanging Rock. There is a narrow path between the boulders, along this path there is a small box hidden beneath a pile of yellowish colored rocks, it helps if you point the camera down, so you're looking at the top of Marston's hat.
Happy hunting!

NEOPARADIGM said:
I actually get the vibe that that's a glitch. It's more like, you skin an animal twice, then the third time you don't get the animation, then the fourth time it's back again. Rinse and repeat. Regardless, the animation is cool; I'm talking about hearing Marston's comments (all three of them) every time you skin something. After skinning 30 animals, I've just about had enough, and I'm only 5 hour into the game.

I think it only glitches when you're too close to an object and it would obscure the animation/cut scene. Someone tested it earlier in the thread and confirmed.

Johningame

Neo Member
So I'm riding along and I see a wagon on the side of the road. At first I just ride past it but then I hear a little girl say something like "Hey mister, can you help a little girl?" I turn around and go back only to realize it's a trap. I'm given the option to pay some robbers but I opt for a gun fight instead only to go down with guns blazing. The ambient events in this game are blowing my mind!

VALIS

I assume you have to win the table to make money at poker? Kind of a bitch considering you don't know what everyone's chip count is. The buy-ins seem to be $10 = 100 chips, so at Armadillo it's a $25/250 table and that ranch you start off at is a $10/100 table. So you can roughly guess what everyone has left, but really? An elimination poker tournament where you have no idea what everyone else's chip stack is? That's a huge part of the strategy gone when you don't know what chips people have left and bet against them accordingly.

Also, I think this is going to be a good game to play with music or podcasts as the comments and sound effects are very repetitive.

The story is pretty good but I hate my character. Western heroes are bad ass loners, this guy is exceedingly polite and helpful, it's just weird.

The atmosphere and scenery are where this game shines. But honestly this is a LOT like GTAIV in those respects -- the atmosphere and details are second to none, but the minigames are mostly wretched, the missions are repetitive and the game isn't challenging, it's just long. But I'm still early on so hopefully the missions improve.

bunbun777

MaxSteel said:

Well there are two things to try:

Use your pardon letters or pay off the bounty-

Or kill everyone

This game is the real deal-- so good-- deadeye just makes the game so replayable and diverse on top of the activities.

Singleplayer is absolutely astonishing. Great graphics, perfect atmosphere, solid gameplay, best random events in an open world, etc.. It's a Western fan's dream game, and a must have for anyone that enjoys open world games.

The multiplayer Free Roam on the other hand has some MAJOR problems that need to be patched. The invisibility glitch is absolutely horrid. Your weapons, your mount, your character, and sometimes all 3 at the same time randomly disappearing is not cool. It affects every player randomly as well. Some people see you, others don't, some see your horse, other don't, etc. This is a huge annoyance. It's not just in game either, everything in the outfitter is ALWAYS invisible when I try to access it from a public match.

On top of that are the network errors that seem to stick with you once they happen until you restart the console (360 specifically). This is just as annoying, but I'll chalk it up to launch day overload. The invisible glitches HAVE to be patched though. The Free Roam rooms just can't stay full because people are constantly leaving to reset their character, or getting kicked.

Competitive multiplayer on the other hand is a LOT more solid. Movement fluidity and controls still aren't at the level to compete with the likes of Uncharted 2 multiplayer, but it's still fun. None of the invisible glitches seem to happen here, and network errors seem much less prevalent. I was playing with the same group of people for almost 2 hours with no problems.

One plus that is good all around is the quick loading, especially when compared to GTAIV. Menus are snappy, and loading the singleplayer after a failed multiplayer sessions happens super quick. Saving, and changing attires is also instant. Good job there. If they can fix the Free Roam glitches, this will definitely be a winner from all angles.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
I got stuck in a barn and couldn't move at all, so I jumped in my first free roam game to see if it would fix me up, stayed for about 10 minutes, killed some random guy, and got some Rockstar Achievement. What's this all about?

Burger

_tetsuo_ said:
Anyone else have trouble with the game being very dark?

PS3 ? Try changing your sytem/video settings in the XMB from RGB Full Range to RGB Limited.

Some people turn it on thinking it will look better (and occasionally it will, but requires extensive calibration, and consistent light management). It displays blacks from 0-255 rather than the 16-235 that is common with HDTV's, but can drastically darken your image if you don't do the above.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Burger said:
PS3 ? Try changing your sytem/video settings in the XMB from RGB Full Range to RGB Limited.

Some people turn it on thinking it will look better (and occasionally it will, but requires extensive calibration, and consistent light management). It displays blacks from 0-255 rather than the 16-235 that is common with HDTV's, but can drastically darken your image if you don't do the above.

360 version. Daytime outside is perfect. At night or indoors I can hardly see anything.

MMaRsu

DrBo42 said:
Am I alone in thinking that the game really hits its stride when you arrive in Mexico?

Most reviewers said that that's actually when the lull hits. After that it picks back up.

Wish I could have the game today.. damn you fucking embargo BULLSHITTTTTTTT

JMizzlin

EvaPlusMinus said:
I got stuck in a barn and couldn't move at all, so I jumped in my first free roam game to see if it would fix me up, stayed for about 10 minutes, killed some random guy, and got some Rockstar Achievement. What's this all about?

'Viral' achievement. There was a similar one in GTA IV.

You simply need to kill a Rockstar developer (or somebody who already has the achievement) online to unlock it. Pretty awesome to watch it spread like measles. Though I remember it took quite a while in GTA IV to get across my friends list.

Naeblish

Can someone explain dueling to me? I missed the tutorial the first time and i can't find how to get it back. Duel starts, then you LT for dead eye, RT to place shots, but i don't get how i can get the meter to fill quickly, for example if i just want to place one shot and then shoot.

Munin

bunbun777 said:
Well there are two things to try:

Use your pardon letters or pay off the bounty-

Or kill everyone

This game is the real deal-- so good-- deadeye just makes the game so replayable and diverse on top of the activities.

Hearing this is actually pretty disappointing. I haven't played myself yet but based on what I saw in one of the gameplay trailers, they made it seem like once you gained a bad enough reputation for yourself, people would actually be scared of you, with only a few bold cowboys trying to put you down etc. - as opposed to ye olde open world mechanic of "do bad shit and everyone's hostile". So is this actually true?

bunbun777

Has anyone had success with attaining the Walton's Gang Outfit?

I have completed steps 2-5 but scrap 1: Search Solomon's Folly will not check.

I am signed in to the social club and I have started and finished the activity in under 2 and a half minutes, and have even set the option to "track" -- I get a big purple radius and I can not find anything...

Halulp!

Munin said:
Hearing this is actually pretty disappointing. I haven't played myself yet but based on what I saw in one of the gameplay trailers, they made it seem like once you gained a bad enough reputation for yourself, people would actually be scared of you, with only a few bold cowboys trying to put you down etc. - as opposed to ye olde open world mechanic of "do bad shit and everyone's hostile". So is this actually true?

From what I understand-- as you get more fame and honor the law tends to look the other way for lesser indiscretions-- but I do not know how that works with no honor. I think you only have fame to rely on and even then the bounty hunters will all want a piece of you.

DrBo42

Naeblish said:
Can someone explain dueling to me? I missed the tutorial the first time and i can't find how to get it back. Duel starts, then you LT for dead eye, RT to place shots, but i don't get how i can get the meter to fill quickly, for example if i just want to place one shot and then shoot.
You can also use the right stick to mimic drawing movements. Press the right thumbstick all the way down then flick it up to draw. I think the aiming reticle switches between red and yellow, maybe yellow does placement shots while red is an instant shot? Earlier in the game I would only fire 1 shot to disarm them, every time. I'm really not even sure how it works, I glazed over the tutorial as well.

Edit: Meh, I meant to edit my first post. My apologies.

Q8D3vil

is the online tied to the single player profile ?!

because it look like i'm going to buy ps3 version for online and borrow the 360 to play single player.

Top Bottom