• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Gravijah said:
I think it's to save new horses.
Ok check it: Betsy McFadden or whoever told me to get moving one day so I jumped on an old appaloosa and BOOM it was my horse. Used it for several missions.

But later I roped a wild roan and once I hitched it in Armadillo, I spent the night, came out in the morning and he was saddled just like the old paint. Now what I'm aksin' is this:

What happens to ol' appaloosa? Is she gone forever? Can I stable/hitch more than one horse?

Please give me your wild speculation...

SaitoH said:
Ended up only playing Free Roam last night with some friends and am kind of confused about one aspect. Why does only the leader get credit for completing missions? Am I missing an option, or is this a design choice? Seems odd to me.

Can anyone confirm this? If so this is really lame, will completely kill free roam for me.

Lasso a bull on foot! You will see Euphoria in action.

I rope the bull and play tug of war for 5 sec. then the bull starts to run. I do an Indiana Jones slide until the lasso breaks free. My momentum launches me through the doors of the General Store where I slam into the counter. I stand up and the clerk asks ' how u don, seen any JEWS!' I was laughing so hard I think I broke a rib!:lol :lol :lol :lol

epmode

DeuceMojo said:
Ok check it: Betsy McFadden or whoever told me to get moving one day so I jumped on an old appaloosa and BOOM it was my horse. Used it for several missions.

But later I roped a wild roan and once I hitched it in Armadillo, I spent the night, came out in the morning and he was saddled just like the old paint. Now what I'm aksin' is this:

What happens to ol' appaloosa? Is she gone forever? Can I stable/hitch more than one horse?

Just one saved horse. Teleports around to your nearest hideout.

aristotle

GDJustin said:
You are indeed over thinking it. If you've figured out that the map is depicting
hanging rock
then that is all you really need to know. Just go poke around it.

It's even easier than that. The first treasure map shows you the angles on where to look for it. If you look at the map then at the actual terrain, it'll make more sense. I had a hard time too until I realized it was the same place, but from a different angle.

So...who's up to form a posse on Friday so we can hunt down some R* Devs (for the PS3 of course)?

DMPrince said:
Why does taking out your gun just makes the civilian act crazy. they should only act crazy when I shoot them.
Yaknow, I've had the good fortune not to have a gun pointed at me in public, but if I had... I would've acted batshit crazy. No doubt.

ashism

DeuceMojo said:

You can only have one horse at a time. As soon as you hitch it, it becomes yours, whether stolen, lassoed, or whatever.

If you have a horse deed though, go to your inventory and select the deed. The horse becomes yours upon use.

GDJustin said:
You are indeed over thinking it. If you've figured out that the map is depicting
hanging rock
then that is all you really need to know. Just go poke around it.

thanks, will do. i poked around a bit there but i guess i wasn't looking hard/confidently enough.

Hunter Gather said:

I rope the bull and play tug of war for 5 sec. then the bull starts to run. I do an Indiana Jones slide until the lasso breaks free. My momentum launches me through the doors of the General Store where I slam into the counter. I stand up and the clerk asks ' how u don, seen any JEWS!' I was laughing so hard I think I broke a rib!:lol :lol :lol :lol

Awesome! tomorrow can't come soon enough

Drahcir

OldJadedGamer said:
So no one has the golden guns yet?

In the pre-ordered copy I got from Amazon, there is a slip of paper with the golden gun code in the package. That night I get an e-mail from Amazon giving me a different code but it's for the same golden gun weapons pack. What gives?

Also, how do I activate the PS3 exclusive stuff? I couldn't find a code for them.

holy shit this game is sick!!!

finally got home to play it last night.. the environment is crazy!! most impressive open world tech i've seen by far! the sound effects is amazing.

i only did like 4 missions.. had too much fun just roaming around. the random encounters are insane..
i had a dude that was stranded in the middle of the desert asking for a ride back into town. he got on back and pushed me off my horse and rode off leaving me stranded..
i laughed so hard.

Duke Togo

Is there a "very easy" mode in this game? I think my wife would really love this game, but she's not too keen on 3d controls in general. For reference, she plays Oblivion on very easy mode and does ok.

Drahcir said:
In the pre-ordered copy I got from Amazon, there is a slip of paper with the golden gun code in the package. That night I get an e-mail from Amazon giving me a different code but it's for the same golden gun weapons pack. What gives?

Also, how do I activate the PS3 exclusive stuff? I couldn't find a code for them.

I got the code, entered it in. The game says they are available but no Gunsmith has them and I can't find the golden guns at all. That's my question... where the hell are they?

aristotle

macfoshizzle said:
holy shit this game is sick!!!

finally got home to play it last night.. the environment is crazy!! most impressive open world tech i've seen by far! the sound effects is amazing.

i only did like 4 missions.. had too much fun just roaming around. the random encounters are insane..
i had a dude that was stranded in the middle of the desert asking for a ride back into town. he got on back and pushed me off my horse and rode off leaving me stranded..
i laughed so hard.

I shot that guy. Jerkface. :p

Dresden

Duke Togo said:
Is there a "very easy" mode in this game? I think my wife would really love this game, but she's not too keen on 3d controls in general. For reference, she plays Oblivion on very easy mode and does ok.
There's a 'casual' aiming mode that basically aims everything for you. And since the enemies go down in like two rifle shots, combat isn't much of a problem at all.

Duke Togo

Dresden said:
There's a 'casual' aiming mode that basically aims everything for you. And since the enemies go down in like two rifle shots, combat isn't much of a problem at all.
Ah, very good. Thx Dresden.

Barrett2

Hunter Gather said:

That is amazing.

Reminds me of the single best moment I had in GTA4. I was in my apartment in whatever island is the Manhattan equivalent. I got off the escalator in the lobby downstairs and was walking towards the front door, and BAM, a taxi sails through the front door of the apartment building into the lobby and crushes me against a wall! It was effing fantastic.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
Gravijah said:
Which is why this game ISN'T "GTAIV in the West"... the entire WORLD feels different.
They're also using real world locations within the States too. Chicago, Manhattan etc... Hopefully they stop using knock offs in their open world games.

Vyer

Man, I spent like two hours last night just playing poker. :lol

It's so awesome to be doing whatever and some bandits/gang members come at you on their horses and you mow them down with your rifle.

Question: How do you capture someone alive? I saw on one of the tutorials it said to shoot them in the leg and walk up to them, but when I did that on a bounty mission the bastard reached up with his gun to shoot at me.

On reflex I just fired (which was badass to see me put the rifle up to his forehead and fire just as he was swinging his gun around), but I'd like to be able to take them alive.

Malvolio

Riding back to town after a long string of quests and I come across a treasure hunter under attack. Jump off my horse and gun down his attackers only to come to a stop right at the treasure hunter. Cut scene starts, but for some reason one of the attackers fires off a death shot from his knees that goes right through the treasure hunters noggin. Now I'm stuck in a cut scene that won't end. Frustrating!

X26

Banned
Vyer said:
Question: How do you capture someone alive? I saw on one of the tutorials it said to shoot them in the leg and walk up to them, but when I did that on a bounty mission the bastard reached up with his gun to shoot at me.

do some bonnie missions and you'll eventually get a lasso

Drahcir

OldJadedGamer said:
I got the code, entered it in. The game says they are available but no Gunsmith has them and I can't find the golden guns at all. That's my question... where the hell are they?

Hmmm. Well, when I activated the code and got back into the game where I last saved, there was a Golden Guns Unlocked message and both my pistol and rifle were gold colored.

Yopis

epmode said:
I think they only flip out if you aim at them. Just taking out the gun doesn't usually do anything.

I was in a saloon the other night and pulled my gun out and pointed at some guys drinking.Everybody pointed their guns at me but didn't shoot.I then holstered my gun and everybody else did the same was awesome little tense moment.

Beaulieu

Vyer said:
Man, I spent like two hours last night just playing poker. :lol

It's so awesome to be doing whatever and some bandits/gang members come at you on their horses and you mow them down with your rifle.

On reflex I just fired (which was badass to see me put the rifle up to his forehead and fire just as he was swinging his gun around), but I'd like to be able to take them alive.

This question must have been asked 20 times already in the last 5 pages. Just play the game you will find out soon enough god damn.

Vyer said:

Step 1: Get the lasso.
Step 2: Shoot man in leg (or don't).
Step 3: Lasso and hogtie.
Step 4: Bring man to jail while his buddies try to free him.

Beaulieu said:
This question must have been asked 20 times already in the last 5 pages. Just play the game you will find out soon enough god damn.

I can't lie, I had no idea last night so I googled it. After finding out about the LT thing today to keep them lasso'd, I feel like I'm gonna be lasso and dragging people all over the place!

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Game is God like. So much to do and so much going on in this vibrant world. I love how I will just be going for a relaxing horseback ride in the middle of nowhere and stumble upon all sorts of random activities.

I also like how they have various little tasks to unlock the new outfits, the marksman challenges, survivalist challenges, and if you so please the social club challenges. Sitting down and playing this for 4 hours last night was so much fun and I've just barely scratched the surface.

Great game.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
lawblob said:
That is amazing.

Reminds me of the single best moment I had in GTA4. I was in my apartment in whatever island is the Manhattan equivalent. I got off the escalator in the lobby downstairs and was walking towards the front door, and BAM, a taxi sails through the front door of the apartment building into the lobby and crushes me against a wall! It was effing fantastic.

San Andreas still had the best ambient events. They beat RDR's because RDR's (while fantastic) are scripted, and will begin to repeat as a result. The shit in SA was TRULY random, in comparison.

I was minding my own business in the first city, just running up the sidewalk, when a FUCKING PLANE CRASHED right in front of me. Explosions, people screaming, the whole bit. I couldn't stop laughing. I'm also reminded of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1A1Nm2kAW6c

Loxley

I was doing one of the bounty missions, and while working my way towards the guy I was supposed to kill, I shot one of his lackies in chest, he fell back, fired his gun on the way down and shot his horse in the ass. It fucking flipped out :lol :lol I had to pause the game because I couldn't stop laughing.

Game of the Forever confirmed :D

*Oh, and I kicked up the saturation & contrast a bit, and man what difference it makes. The world becomes surprisingly more vibrant despite the lack of a ton of foliage. More games need to have display options like this.

DietRob

Hunter Gather said:

That is the funniest thing I have read in a while. This game, wow, this game!!

a1m

Banned
Yopis said:
I was in a saloon the other night and pulled my gun out and pointed at some guys drinking.Everybody pointed their guns at me but didn't shoot.I then holstered my gun and everybody else did the same was awesome little tense moment.
Really? REALLY? REALLY?

Sounds awesome.

Hunter Gather said:

Wow. That's the kind of stuff that's making the game unique. Hilarious.

JonnyAvacado

Neo Member
I'm at work and have not been able to play since last night...can anyone confirm if Free Roam multiplayer is still having the horrendous issues it was last night?

Zeliard

Was messing around with the lasso for a little bit last night but didn't see a clear input to drag someone behind on your horse. I can hogtie them, but how do you drag them?

DietRob

Zeliard said:
Was messing around with the lasso for a little bit last night but didn't see a clear input to drag someone behind on your horse. I can hogtie them, but how do you drag them?

Hold LT. Or so I've read. I had the same issue last night, haven't gotten to try the holding LT thing yet.

Artex

Banned
Zeliard said:

Don't hogtie them, just lasso them while on your horse, keep holding L2/LT and start riding. Its pretty awesome.

Yackie

I got this game yesterday and started playing in the afternoon, then all of the sudden it was 1:30am. :lol :lol Yeah, it's pretty fun so far.

At one point I was in the saloon in Armadillo and I walked up to the musician guy, who is leaning back in his chair with his feet up on the table, when some guy comes behind his chair and kicks it so the musician falls back onto the floor. The musician guy freaks out and starts shooting at the other guy, then everyone else starts shooting and screaming and there's chaos in the saloon and everyone runs outside. Meanwhile, I'm just watching the whole thing happen and by the end I am left standing alone in the empty saloon in shock at what happened :lol :lol Amazing. Did anyone else see this?

SaitoH said:
Ended up only playing Free Roam last night with some friends and am kind of confused about one aspect. Why does only the leader get credit for completing missions? Am I missing an option, or is this a design choice? Seems odd to me.

what? can anyone confirm if this is true or not?

ringlord

Great game. Played until 3:30 AM last night.

I find that I rarely fast travel between locations -- there's so much to do in the wilderness that I don't find myself bored with taking the ride. Plus, your horse can move fairly quick so it's never more than a couple minutes between locations anyway.

Poker is great. Played that for a good 20-30 minutes. Got down to 30 chips or so, then came back to leave the table with a profit.

The cover mechanic isn't perfect, but it's 95% there and works well enough. And the gun-play is epic.

I find the voice acting top-notch and the story is decent/good. What more could you ask for? Great job to everyone that put this game together.

Top Bottom