• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Yackie

I have a question about the first treasure map you get (I think its the first one anyway):
I guess it's supposed to be near Hanging Rock, but it has the numbers 1 and 11 on it. What does that mean?

MMaRsu

taoofjord said:
After playing for about a dozen hours now I still have some issues with the game, but I'm definitely enjoying it more. It's so close to perfect but the issues I have below really keep it from being a game that has the longevity and feeling of inhabiting an environment I found Grand Theft Auto IV.

The Big Stuff I Want Rockstar To Tweak

1) The ability to go into PRIVATE games with friends only where you can tweak the game settings to your liking.

2) Tweak the speed of horses! Sprinting on horses is TOO fast. I think the fastest they should be able to go is when you get to max speed WITHOUT tapping A to sprint (depleting the gauge). Also, make the sprint gauge more important. It regenerates too fast, and depletes too slow. When you use it, the horse goes too fast, so either slow that down or make the gauge deplete faster across the board. Since there are so many fast travel options available to us, the speeding bullet horses make the land feel too small (even though it isn't).

3) If our own horse dies don't let us whistle for a random new one. Just make it so that we have to grab a wild horse nearby (there's always one close by no matter where you are anyway). It's goofy that I can just whistle for another as it lesses the importance of taking care of the horse you've kept with you.

4) INCREASE the speed of trains. It's so silly that you can jump onto a train while running with it on foot while it is going full speed.

5) Use Euphoria like they did in GTAIV and polish up the animation and the animation transitions! I want to see John Marston stumble if a horse walks into him just like Niko did when a car slowly pushes him. I want to see horses fall over, or at least react, when I hit a tree or a big boulder. I want to see the horse struggle more when going over rough terrain. As it is, it's just a standard running animation while the horse and legs barely change and the model only goes vertically up and down.

6) Make falling from heights more significant instead of a WAY TOO QUICK landing animation that barely slows you down. Make the character look like he actually fell from the roof of a bulding and has to take a second or two to get up/recompose himself before continuing to run. The game as a whole is much quicker than GTAIV, which is fine, but in many ways they sacrifice immersion for it. Find a balance Rockstar! And make sure not to make EVERYTHING too fast or else events like falling from a horse or a cliff loses its significance.

7) More NPC's in free roam mode. Their absence is pretty disappointing. :[

8) This one is less important but: give us the ability to sit down on chairs/benches. They make an amazingly detailed world but limit the interaction we have with it. Why can't we walk around while watching a movie in Armadillo, for example?

-----------------

Aside from the fact that the game feels a little unpolished when it comes to the animation and the speed of the game feels way too fast at times it's just about everything I hoped for. It's an amazing game with so many strengths, but some of the things above really do keep it from being close to perfect in my eyes. A lot of what I've posted isn't even that hard to implement or that far fetched since some of it we've seen in GTAIV.

Too bad R* hardly ever patches any good stuff into their games :\.

Chrange

Banned
Yackie said:
I have a question about the first treasure map you get (I think its the first one anyway):
I guess it's supposed to be near Hanging Rock, but it has the numbers 1 and 11 on it. What does that mean?
Never noticed, but I think it'd probably be roman numerals? 1 and 2?

I found the second one, but never did find the first. Anyone know it offhand? :D

Why can't we walk around while watching a movie in Armadillo, for example?
Because you'd get shot.

Gravijah

ringlord said:
Fairly early. Hang out in Armadillo (or check back frequently) and you'll see a little skull icon show up on your mini map. Go to it and you'll find the wanted poster.

Thanks. Btw, five finger fillet=easy money. Just won a bet of 50... gonna try 100 next time.

Loxley

Tieno said:
Main character is really likeable. Not a dickwad or a smug smartass like so many main characters in games. He's nice to common people but stands firm against ill folk.

I agree, although I'm no where near towards the end of the game, but I hope R* San Diego didn't do with Marsden what R* North did with Nico, in that he starts off as a likable guy but by the end of the game he's a murderous psychopath.

Filldough

Uhh... so whats the deal people? Am I really the only sick fuck around here who's hog tied an NPC and plopped them down on the train tracks to see what happened?

He went SPLAT!

Can you hogtie more than one person at a time? If so I might have to line up a couple of people on the tracks and see what happens.

Eric WK

Chrange said:

I found the second one, but never did find the first. Anyone know it offhand? :D

The hell? The numerals represent steps to find the treasure, not separate treasure spots.

Haven't you fools ever read a treasure map before?

Unless you're saying you found the second treasure, but not the first. (Which I didn't even know was possible, if it is.)

Aesius

Filldough said:
Uhh... so whats the deal people? Am I really the only sick fuck around here who's hog tied an NPC and plopped them down on the train tracks to see what happened?

He went SPLAT!

Can you hogtie more than one person at a time? If so I might have to line up a couple of people on the tracks and see what happens.

You can hogtie multiple people at once.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Chrange said:

There' only 1 treasure per map. It's just showing you different angles/where to go.

Zeliard

ringlord said:
Fairly early. Hang out in Armadillo (or check back frequently) and you'll see a little skull icon show up on your mini map. Go to it and you'll find the wanted poster.

Speaking of those, after I did the first bounty, I didn't expect the guy's pals to show up and start shooting at me afterwards. I killed the guy and collected the bounty, and was trotting slowly back to town admiring the scenery and considering what to use my bounty money on, when all of a sudden I hear galloping and yelling (the SOUND in this game). And then not too long after, shooting.

I turn around and there's a group of bandits gunning right for me. I killed them all and then more showed up, so I high-tailed it the hell out of there and ran back to town. :lol It was unexpected and fantastic. Of course, that describes so many moments in this game. So many random anecdotal stories you can experience.

Yackie

Chrange said:

Hmm, you're probably right that they're roman numerals, that makes much more sense. They shouldn't have made them look soo much like the number 1 instead of the roman numeral I!

And yeah, what the others said. There's only one treasure there.

Filldough said:

He went SPLAT!

:lol :lol :lol :lol Boom goes the dynamite.

daddynorcal

Neo Member
Definity said:
When you crouch in multiplayer do you still show up on radar with your name displayed above your character or is that removed?

In all of multiplayer you show up on the radar when you sprint (by holding A) or fire a weapon. You will not appear on the radar if you are crouching, standing or moving without holding A.

daddynorcal

Neo Member
TxdoHawk said:
How's the multiplayer doing? I ran into two issues playing free roam yesterday:

1. Occasionally I would be thrown from a MP session. I wouldn't be able to join a new one unless I restarted my 360 or exited out to the dashboard, then relaunched.

2. I ran into a few instances where my character or enemies showed up as invisible in free roam. I talked to another guy who ran into this as well. For me at least, it seems the problem is more likely to occur if I go into the Outfitter during a session.

Anybody else run into this?

We apologize for anyone who is having these issues. We're aware of both of these issues and are working to resolve them as soon as possible.

taoofjord

daddynorcal said:
We apologize for anyone who is having these issues. We're aware of both of these issues and are working to resolve them as soon as possible.

Is there a chance we may see tweaks to the game (like the ones in my list at the top of this page) in a patch or included in future DLC?

Chrange

Banned
Shig said:
There' only 1 treasure per map. It's just showing you different angles/where to go.
Ah - I guess that makes sense. I never really bothered with the treasure hunting too much. I found the treasure by accident, as it was next to a guy I was looting after he...uh...fell. Yeah, that's it. He was rock climbing and fell.

VALIS

Anyone else refuse to whistle for your horse unless he's in sight? If you do whistle for him, I recommend you try not to for a while. Sure, it's led to me getting stuck in the middle of nowhere a lot, but some of my best moments so far have come because of this. Do I shoot passers by for their horse and risk a gunfight along with my rep going down? Do I just trudge through miles and miles of terrain to get to the nearest town? It makes the game much more fun and realistic to have to face these decisions -- either be a criminal or walk for (in game) hours.

One time I was stranded in the middle of nowhere by the Mexico border after a mission and got attacked by a fucking cougar! I hear it growl, immediately got my rifle out but couldn't see it, then it pounced on me from the bushes. In my nervousness I hit the dead eye aim button and slowed things down, and as he's on my chest I shoot him in the neck and he recoils off my body in a slo-mo bloody, twisty mess.

Best moment of the game so far and it never would've happened if I used the cheap ass horse whistle. Seriously, it's one of the cheapest gameplay mechanics ever -- just whistle and your horse will come running from even miles away! :lol

GAF, just say no to horse calling.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Also a quick tip for shooting/aiming. Make sure you're looking in the direction of your target and simply aim and shoot w/out even trying to manually target them. As long as you're looking in their direction properly, the game auto targets them dead on and you can take a shit load of guys down with rifle very easily. Kinda cheap but works. ;p
GTAIV was like this as well if I remember correctly.

taoofjord

VALIS said:
Anyone else refuse to whistle for your horse unless he's in sight? If you do whistle for him, I recommend you try not to for a while. Sure, it's led to me getting stuck in the middle of nowhere a lot, but some of my best moments so far have come because of this. Do I shoot passers by for their horse and risk a gunfight along with my rep going down? Do I just trudge through miles and miles of terrain to get to the nearest town? It makes the game much more fun and realistic to have to face these decisions -- either be a criminal or walk for (in game) hours.

One time I was stranded in the middle of nowhere by the Mexico border after a mission and got attacked by a fucking cougar! I hear it growl, immediately got my rifle out but couldn't see it, then it pounced on me from the bushes. In my nervousness I hit the dead eye aim button and slowed things down, and as he's on my chest I shoot him in the neck and he recoils off my body in a slo-mo bloody, twisty mess.

Best moment of the game so far and it never would've happened if I used the cheap ass horse whistle. Seriously, it's one of the cheapest gameplay mechanics ever -- just whistle and your horse will come running from even miles away! :lol

I agree that horse calling cheapens the game to a degree, but I personally think the right balance is to only allow you to call for your own personal horse if he is still alive. If your own horse dies, then you shouldn't be able to whistle anymore until you get a new horse and hitch him (or, maybe, open your camp kit).

If you're the type of gamer to be able to resist from doing this then let me recommend you also not sprint on your horse. Go max speed and just keep it at that (unless you're in a mission that requires you to sprint). It feels much better that way.

Zeliard

VALIS said:

You know, I really wish they had taken this game further with some more RPG elements. It's already really damn close to a Western RPG - it's only really missing a few basic things.

Man Marston looks so fucking bad-ass with his duster on. Love it.

I agree with previous comments, Marston is one of the best main characters in a game in a LONG time.

Chrange said:
Ah - I guess that makes sense. I never really bothered with the treasure hunting too much. I found the treasure by accident, as it was next to a guy I was looting after he...uh...fell. Yeah, that's it. He was rock climbing and fell.

Hell, everyone falls. Fact of motherfucking life.

*Raises glass of whiskey*

taoofjord

I want to make one more recommendation to people playing this game. I think Normal targeting mode is the way to go in multiplayer. I usually hate auto-aim in multiplayer games but because people run so fast in RDR it can be annoying to free-aim at a person so close to you. By keeping the normal aiming mode on, it will make the game more tactical and less chaotic for everyone playing. Not to mention that this makes cover more important and makes the game feel less "arcadey".

Beaulieu

VALIS said:

I stopped my horse to pick some nice flowers and a cougar jumped from the back and kills my horse. I kill the cougar, then whistle, and a horse I've never seen before comes to get me. Kinda disapointing...

taoofjord said:
I want to make one more recommendation to people playing this game. I think Normal targeting mode is the most fun. Usually I hate auto-aim but because people run so fast, it can be annoying to free-aim at a person so close to you. By keeping the normal aiming mode on, it will make the game more tactical, as the important of being in cover increases.

yeah, I've been going back on forth on this issue myself. As someone else pointed out, the normal aim makes it harder to get headshots....hard to say.

MMaRsu

Were these posted yet? Got them from TXB..

ssl254281.jpg

ssl254191.jpg

ssl254241.jpg

ssl254261.jpg

ssl254271.jpg

ssl254401.jpg

ssl254411.jpg

Fucking amazing..

Oh and here's another fun video of 'Brad' drunk and getting run over :lol

http://nl.justin.tv/ty20ler/b/263938106

Filldough

Chrange said:

I'm guessing people fall down around you a lot huh? :lol

Beaulieu

I was surprise to discover that the voice actor for the protagonist in the game is not Jason Lee from my name is Earl.

Each time he talks, I think it's Earl.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
another one from Germany

holy shit!!!

Edit: fuck that pic is big. Sry 56k i dont know how to resize it. :/

34qvbxd.jpg

No6

I know someone asked but didn't see it answered, but is there any difference in sku/isbn/whatever between a copy from amazon and a copy from gamestop? Really tempted to waste the time picking up and later returning a sealed copy to gamestop.

Beaulieu said:
I was surprise to discover that the voice actor for the protagonist in the game is not Jason Lee from my name is Earl.

Each time he talks, I think it's Earl.

I read the instruction manual, and didn't recognize any of the voice actors. Which is cool; I like that Rockstar's moved away from the celebrity stunt-casting.

JoeBoy101

ShockingAlberto said:
Kind of related, but

Stuff like that exposes how games can not take context in to account.

A guy steals my horse and I pull him off with a lasso? I lose honor.

A guy in Armadillo tries to stab a woman and I knife him first? Everyone in the town shoots at me.

Rockstar should really have NPCs change designation from "Kill = -Honor" to "Kill = +Honor" when they become part of an event where they are clearly evil.

Some of it I think is very dependent on timing. I lost honor when killing the guy after he kills the woman, and had people shooting at me. I think you have to shoot/stab him because your shit is fucked up and right before he kills her. The guy who steals your horse, I got the warning about shooting him, after killing him. Apparently though your horse is loyal. Next time some fuckhead tries that, whistle. :D

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
god damnit gaf, you aint making the wait more bearable, I swear to god if this gets delayed just like SSF4 did imma choke a bitch.

Only 1 more day, only one more day.

Also there's a severe lack of gifs in this thread :[

Darkman M

Most open world games I find myself using fast travel a lot, this one I can't bring myself to doing it, to much good stuf going on in the wilderness.

MMaRsu

Zeliard said:
Martson's voice actor reminds me a lot of Johnny's from Lost & Damned. Wouldn't be surprised if it's the same guy.

I thought for a long time it was him, but he's not according to IMDB.

So I gamefly'd this and it said "shipped" sunday afternoon. It's now Wednesday and it's nowhere to be found. I think someone snagged my game! I checked gamefly and it said "at home" or whatever.

It should have been here Monday and at the latest today since its 1 day delivery.

Darkman M said:
Most open world games I find myself using fast travel a lot, this one I can't bring myself to doing it, to much good stuf going on in the wilderness.

I agree, I've been using fast-travel a bit but have decided to both never whistle for my horse, and never fast-travel again. Really does mess up the experience a bit. I wish there were more opportunities to duel.

Dresden

Seth's treasure spoilers:
It's a glass eye. :lol

Also, Bonnie:
holy shit did she get roughed up by those bandits.

Top Bottom