• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm probably going to pick this up for the 360 tonight for the better performance / resolution, but I need to confirm if the version sold in American stores (NTSC) is region-free or not? I have a Japanese 360 and the North American versions of Grand Theft Auto IV and Bioshock were both region-free, but other Take2 games such as Oblivion and I think Table Tennis were locked.

Can anyone confirm if RDR works on a Japanese or Asian region 360?

Gravijah

Zefah said:
I'm probably going to pick this up for the 360 tonight for the better performance / resolution, but I need to confirm if the version sold in American stores (NTSC) is region-free or not? I have a Japanese 360 and the North American versions of Grand Theft Auto IV and Bioshock were both region-free, but other Take2 games such as Oblivion and I think Table Tennis were locked.

Any way to check by looking at the box? Says "For use only with systems with the NTSC designation" if that means anything.

Jon

I think I've played this game for 4 hours now, and I feel like I haven't done anything at all. I guess the only other time I felt this way was when I dumped 60 hours into Oblivion without ever going through the first gate. This game is absolutely incredible. Even if I never continued with the story and just rode around helping strangers and hunting, this game would still be incredible.

Also, does anyone else feel genuinely on edge when riding through the desert at night? I got lost on my way back to the ranch, and I just kept thinking I was going to get mugged by a gang of outlaws.

ringlord said:
Poker is great. Played that for a good 20-30 minutes. Got down to 30 chips or so, then came back to leave the table with a profit.
Without spoilers, can you tell me when I get to start playing cards?
eznark said:
So, online is totally f'd for everyone right?
I get kicked off w/in 10 seconds of getting online. That and I'm not sure if the server is saving my stats, which pisses me off 'cause I'm level 3.

Gravijah

DeuceMojo said:
Without spoilers, can you tell me when I get to start playing cards?

I get kicked off w/in 10 seconds of getting online. That and I'm not sure if the server is saving my stats, which pisses me off 'cause I'm level 3.

Should randomly pop up on your map quickly. It looks like a poker table or a wheel with spokes.

eznark

Banned
Huh, first kind of lame encounter:

The attempted stripper slashing has now happened twice for me. Saved her both times, but kind of weird that it reoccurred in the exact same spot.

Drahcir

ringlord said:
I find that I rarely fast travel between locations -- there's so much to do in the wilderness that I don't find myself bored with taking the ride. Plus, your horse can move fairly quick so it's never more than a couple minutes between locations anyway.

This. I set up camp for the first time last night and when given the opportunity to fast travel, I opted not to. There are so many randomly generated things like shootouts and wild animals that really makes traveling worthwhile. What I love (and this is just one instance of these little details about the lively environment) is that I actually found myself hurrying to loot corpses after a random shootout in the field because I'm afraid something will randomly attack me or my horse. To me, that sensation will never get old.

Zeliard

Artex said:
Don't hogtie them, just lasso them while on your horse, keep holding L2/LT and start riding. Its pretty awesome.

Ah cool, thanks.

Man, I've had so many good times playing this game so far. One of my absolute favorite parts of the first Call of Juarez was simply riding around the plains on my horse, and this game is like an infinitely larger, more gorgeous, more immersive version of that.

Drahcir said:
This. I set up camp for the first time last night and when given the opportunity to fast travel, I opted not to. There are so many randomly generated things like shootouts and wild animals that really makes traveling worthwhile. What I love (and this is just one instance of these little details about the lively environment) is that I actually found myself hurrying to loot corpses after a random shootout in the field because I'm afraid something will randomly attack me or my horse. To me, that sensation will never get old.

I've yet to quick-travel and I may never in this game, at least on my first playthrough. I'm also not buying any of the maps. This game makes you want to go out and discover things for yourself.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
My 60GB's blu-ray drive died last night after three hours of RDR. I'm digging the game enough that I sold some shit and bought a new slim today.:lol The mission where you herd cattle
in that storm
is one of the most beautiful things I've seen in a game. The lighting is incredible.

macfoshizzle said:
i had a dude that was stranded in the middle of the desert asking for a ride back into town. he got on back and pushed me off my horse and rode off leaving me stranded..
i laughed so hard.
I
lassoed him off the horse, then shot him in the head for good measure.
I love this game.

Beaulieu

cool things to do

I reached a train and run along it with my horse, at one point I was able to jump from my horse to the train, pretty cool..

Also possible to jump on your horse from the roof or 2nd story of buildings.

This game is neat, but I think people here kind of over-react, I've played it for 8 hours now, and it has many flaws. And it really is a lot like GTA.

eznark said:
Huh, first kind of lame encounter:

The attempted stripper slashing has now happened twice for me. Saved her both times, but kind of weird that it reoccurred in the exact same spot.
Kind of related, but

Stuff like that exposes how games can not take context in to account.

A guy steals my horse and I pull him off with a lasso? I lose honor.

A guy in Armadillo tries to stab a woman and I knife him first? Everyone in the town shoots at me.

Rockstar should really have NPCs change designation from "Kill = -Honor" to "Kill = +Honor" when they become part of an event where they are clearly evil.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Gravijah said:
Any way to check by looking at the box? Says "For use only with systems with the NTSC designation" if that means anything.

Unfortunately not. The NTSC mark is generally the same no matter the game. Thanks for checking, though.

Play-Asia says the Asian 360 version is totally region-free, but has not confirmed the same for the North American version. That strikes me as odd considering the NA version came out first...

I might just have to go for the PS3 version so I can take part in the multiplayer (although I am mostly interested in the SP campaign).

Definity

When you crouch in multiplayer do you still show up on radar with your name displayed above your character or is that removed?

Another awesome random event :

I was chasing down a criminal on horseback, as I was just about to throw the lasso, he grabs his leg in pain and then falls to the ground . Curiously, I get off the horse and hear a rattling noise . Sure enough a rattle snake had bitten him .

Fantastic game .

Gravijah

Zefah said:
Unfortunately not. The NTSC mark is generally the same no matter the game. Thanks for checking, though.

Play-Asia says the Asian 360 version is totally region-free, but has not confirmed the same for the North American version. That strikes me as odd considering the NA version came out first...

I might just have to go for the PS3 version so I can take part in the multiplayer (although I am mostly interested in the SP campaign).

Yeah sorry :(

When do bounty hunter missions become available? I'd like to do the story missions up until that point before stopping.

Zeliard

ShockingAlberto said:
Kind of related, but

A guy in Armadillo tries to stab a woman and I knife him first? Everyone in the town shoots at me.

Rockstar should really have NPCs change designation from "Kill = -Honor" to "Kill = +Honor" when they become part of an event where they are clearly evil.

Weird. When I've run across one of those situations, like a lady about to get stabbed or someone about to get shot by bandits or whatever, and I save them by shooting the attackers, nothing ever happens to me as far as negative honor or townspeople shooting at me or whatnot.

Had a bunch of bandits run through Armadillo as well, and I killed them all and nothing negative came out of it.

R2D4

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
Kind of related, but

A guy on the side of the road yelled at me for a ride and when I stopped he threw me off the horse and said "I'll be taking that" and took off. I shot him in shoulder and left him to die. I got warned about doing bad things will make people afraid of me.

Another time the deputies were chasing after this guy shooting at him. I come up to them and pull out my gun and then the deputies start shooting at me! I was just going to help them.

ckohler

I don't understand the different aiming choices (casual, normal, expert). While Free Roaming with my friend, I put it on Expert expecting to no longer have lock-on but I could still lock-on. Can anyone explain?

I found a random treasure but did not have the map, and it would not allow me to loot.. is this normal? do I have to have the map before I can actually loot a treasure?

ShockingAlberto said:
:lol :lol :lol I ran up on that guy instinctively and pulled the trigger while I was right below him on the street (he being on the sidewalk) -- didn't know I had the revolver selected and in a blazing fast motion I drew and blew his head off. It was like an uppercut with a bullet.

Funny thing is, I thought... am I gonna be a wanted man for this? But I wasn't. I gained like 50 honor.

MercuryLS

Banned
Man the multiplayer in this game is actually really fun, i'm surprised. The gang shootouts are awesome.

If anyone wants to posse up, send me an invite. PSN Tag: MLS3

Hyunkel6

Ranger X said:
Seems quite fucking huge. I'd say it's Oblivion-ish. At least bigger than GTA4 a little.
Thanks. The hype in this thread is getting to me. I would not be surprised if I have the game by the time I leave work.

MMaRsu

Ranger X said:
Seems quite fucking huge. I'd say it's Oblivion-ish. At least bigger than GTA4 a little.

Oblivion wasn't THAT big tho.. what about Fallout 3? Since the game is twice as big as San Andreas..

Drahcir

Zeliard said:
I've yet to quick-travel and I may never in this game, at least on my first playthrough. I'm also not buying any of the maps. This game makes you want to go out and discover things for yourself.

Come to think of it, I kind of wish they didn't include the option to fast travel via camping. Say, for example, you're in the middle of nowhere, and your horse gets killed. The fact that you're able to fast travel or spawn a new horse via camping takes away tension in such a wild environment. Instead, I would've liked to see randomly generated stagecoaches across the land where you can either ask for a lift back to town (or hijacked if you want). Sorry if that sounds like I'm complaining, but if there was one thing I'm not too keen on it would be the ease of camping.

R2D4 said:
Another time the deputies were chasing after this guy shooting at him. I come up to them and pull out my gun and then the deputies start shooting at me! I was just going to help them.
This same thing happened to me except I mistook them for criminals and shot them both dead. It was on that road between McFarlane's and Armadillo. It's difficult to tell (as is the case in many frenzied games like this) just what the f is going on as it happens.

I did stab that guy accidentally, though. I thought I had my lasso equipped (because I used it last and that makes sense...right?) but for some reason my knife which I had never ever used before was equipped.

I don't know how I was supposed to be aware of that.

Why are real-life games such as Poker and Horseshoes so much more fun to play in this game than in real life? I just wasted an hour and a half just playing Poker. What the heck :lol

taoofjord

After playing for about a dozen hours now I still have some issues with the game, but I'm definitely enjoying it more. It's so close to perfect but the issues I have below really keep it from being a game that has the longevity and feeling of inhabiting an environment I found Grand Theft Auto IV.

The Big Stuff I Want Rockstar To Tweak

1) The ability to go into PRIVATE games with friends only where you can tweak the game settings to your liking.

2) Tweak the speed of horses! Sprinting on horses is TOO fast. I think the fastest they should be able to go is when you get to max speed WITHOUT tapping A to sprint (depleting the gauge). Also, make the sprint gauge more important. It regenerates too fast, and depletes too slow. When you use it, the horse goes too fast, so either slow that down or make the gauge deplete faster across the board. Since there are so many fast travel options available to us, the speeding bullet horses make the land feel too small (even though it isn't).

3) If our own horse dies don't let us whistle for a random new one. Just make it so that we have to grab a wild horse nearby (there's always one close by no matter where you are anyway). It's goofy that I can just whistle for another as it lesses the importance of taking care of the horse you've kept with you.

4) INCREASE the speed of trains. It's so silly that you can jump onto a train while running with it on foot while it is going full speed.

5) Use Euphoria like they did in GTAIV and polish up the animation and the animation transitions! I want to see John Marston stumble if a horse walks into him just like Niko did when a car slowly pushes him. I want to see horses fall over, or at least react, when I hit a tree or a big boulder. I want to see the horse struggle more when going over rough terrain. As it is, it's just a standard running animation while the horse and legs barely change and the model only goes vertically up and down.

6) Make falling from heights more significant instead of a WAY TOO QUICK landing animation that barely slows you down. Make the character look like he actually fell from the roof of a bulding and has to take a second or two to get up/recompose himself before continuing to run. The game as a whole is much quicker than GTAIV, which is fine, but in many ways they sacrifice immersion for it. Find a balance Rockstar! And make sure not to make EVERYTHING too fast or else events like falling from a horse or a cliff loses its significance.

7) More NPC's in free roam mode. Their absence is pretty disappointing. :[

8) This one is less important but: give us the ability to sit down on chairs/benches. They make an amazingly detailed world but limit the interaction we have with it. Why can't we walk around while watching a movie in Armadillo, for example?

-----------------

Aside from the fact that the game feels a little unpolished when it comes to the animation and the speed of the game feels way too fast at times it's just about everything I hoped for. It's an amazing game with so many strengths, but some of the things above really do keep it from being close to perfect in my eyes. A lot of what I've posted isn't even that hard to implement or that far fetched since some of it we've seen in GTAIV.

What sort of aiming are you guys using? At first I switched it to 'Expert' (no auto lock) and increased the right stick sensitivity to max, but I found it too tricky for this game, especially when a wild boar charges you out of nowhere. Eventually switched it back to default, and I think that's the way to play this...

Zeliard

Drahcir said:
Come to think of it, I kind of wish they didn't include the option to fast travel via camping. Say, for example, you're in the middle of nowhere, and your horse gets killed. The fact that you're able to fast travel or spawn a new horse via camping takes away tension in such a wild environment. Instead, I would've liked to see randomly generated stagecoaches across the land where you can either ask for a lift back to town (or hijacked if you want). Sorry if that sounds like I'm complaining, but if there was one thing I'm not too keen on it would be the ease of camping.

Agree completely. I can understand why they did it from a gameplay-perspective, but I was a bit disappointed that it's so easy to just whistle for a new horse from any location. Makes any attachment to your horse sort of trivial beyond any personal investment you put in it, even with the stamina boosts.

They should have made it a more significant event for your horse to die, and I think they could have, because I've personally not lost my own horse so far (outside of it simply being replaced due to story-related reasons, which has only been once so far). Then again, I keep hearing about people getting their horses killed. Tsk tsk.

BeeDog

I hope someone can answer this (probably too early, but I'll try); does this game end on a strong note, or does it fizzle/end without a bang like GTA4? No spoilers, please. :D

Tieno

Main character is really likeable. Not a dickwad or a smug smartass like so many main characters in games. He's nice to common people but stands firm against ill folk.

R2D4

Banned
DeuceMojo said:
This same thing happened to me except I mistook them for criminals and shot them both dead. It was on that road between McFarlane's and Armadillo. It's difficult to tell (as is the case in many frenzied games like this) just what the f is going on as it happens.

That's where this was. I saw the little stars on their chests otherwise I wouldn't have known. I didn't want to kill them so I took off on the horse and ran off a cliff. The horse slid on it's side down the hill and when it the bottom I fell off but the horse was dead. :lol

DeuceMojo said:
:lol :lol :lol I ran up on that guy instinctively and pulled the trigger while I was right below him on the street (he being on the sidewalk) -- didn't know I had the revolver selected and in a blazing fast motion I drew and blew his head off. It was like an uppercut with a bullet.

Funny thing is, I thought... am I gonna be a wanted man for this? But I wasn't. I gained like 50 honor.

LOL!! Happened to me too! I immediately looked side to side seeing if anyone saw me and instinctively ran into the desert lol.

Zeliard

Whoompthereitis said:
What sort of aiming are you guys using? At first I switched it to 'Expert' (no auto lock) and increased the right stick sensitivity to max, but I found it too tricky for this game, especially when a wild boar charges you out of nowhere. Eventually switched it back to default, and I think that's the way to play this...

Expert. I was getting too annoyed trying to aim for specific body parts only to have the game auto-center on the person's body - for whatever reason, they didn't go with the mechanic from GTAIV, where you could just move your analog stick along the entire surface of an enemy after you lock-on. I guess that's because it doesn't remain locked on when an enemy moves like GTAIV does.

Beaulieu said:
cool things to do

I reached a train and run along it with my horse, at one point I was able to jump from my horse to the train, pretty cool..

Also possible to jump on your horse from the roof or 2nd story of buildings.

This game is neat, but I think people here kind of over-react, I've played it for 8 hours now, and it has many flaws. And it really is a lot like GTA.

Nobody is saying this game is perfect or it doesn't have flaws; instead people are simply having the time of their life because the positives of this game blow away the negatives.

Zefah said:

http://vgplus.blogspot.com/

First post on the blog game is region free !

BeeDog said:
I hope someone can answer this (probably too early, but I'll try); does this game end on a strong note, or does it fizzle/end without a bang like GTA4? No spoilers, please. :D

I don't know anything specific but I've heard the endgame is something to behold. One review called it "shattering" and there have been a bunch of regrets from people who had it spoiled.

ringlord

Gravijah said:
When do bounty hunter missions become available? I'd like to do the story missions up until that point before stopping.

Fairly early. Hang out in Armadillo (or check back frequently) and you'll see a little skull icon show up on your mini map. Go to it and you'll find the wanted poster.

Top Bottom