• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Gravijah said:
Asked myself, hoping for an answer.
I know right. It seems since there are different rankings for horses, that it would tell you what kind you are riding. I just had my Kentucky one just get shot and broke another kind, and I'm curious to know how good it is until I can find another Kentucky one.

JoeBoy101

I'll whistle for my horse, but then I haven't lost him yet. He's always within walking distance. If I lose him completely, I won't whistle.

After seeing the trailers, my wife was convinced that Marston was voice by Bill Paxton. :lol

Wow. Just echoing what others have said, but the atmosphere in this game is incredible. The amount of awesome randomness that happens - the encounters, the wildlife, the weather and details - it really makes everything feel alive. And its fucking gorgeous!

I'm so much more invested in this world than I ever was in GTA. Really blown away over here.

denomes

blazinglazers said:
Wow. Just echoing what others have said, but the atmosphere in this game is incredible. The amount of awesome randomness that happens - the encounters, the wildlife, the weather and details - it really makes everything feel alive. And its fucking gorgeous!

I'm so much more invested in this world than I ever was in GTA. Really blown away over here.

I'm in the same boat. The vast wilderness of Red Dead is infinitely more interesting to me than GTA's urban setting.

Dresden said:
Seth's treasure spoilers:
It's a glass eye. :lol

Also, Bonnie:
holy shit did she get roughed up by those bandits.

LOL! @ Seth. Seriously, whoever is responsible for writing his lines is simply a genius. GOD I LOVE SETH! LOL!

I don't know either, haven't seen any list or anything. My only guess- I know the blue meter to the left of the radar is horse stamina. The better the horse, the more stamina they have? Bigger blue meter? I dunno.

I played with custom soundtracks last night, made an awesome atmospheric & country/western playlist. But it just drowns out the sounds of the game too much, and the sound design is definitely one of the game's greatest strengths. Did feel extra badass strolling through Armadillo at sunset with Radiohead playing, though.

Oakcliff

I was out hunting and finishing challenges up by the snowy mountains, everything calm and shit. right when i'm leaving A FUCKING COUGAR COMES OUT OF NOWHERE and kills me and the horse.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
blazinglazers said:

I completely agree. GTA at some parts was way too crowded for me with all the buildings/traffic and shit. The atmosphere in this game is right up my alley. Towns and settlements scattered throughout the land and interesting hideouts and camps here and there. There's more nature/wildlife and I freaking love that.

Edit:
Oakcliff said:
I was out hunting and finishing challenges up by the snowy mountains, everything calm and shit. right when i'm leaving A FUCKING COUGAR COMES OUT OF NOWHERE and kills me and the horse.
I've lost a couple of great horses that way and my advice is this: the moment you hear the cougar roar just go in dead eye mode(slow-mo target mode) and shoot the beast. One of the best moments I've had was when I did that with a 180 turn and shot the fucker in the head with a shotgun.

Beaulieu said:
cool things to do

I reached a train and run along it with my horse, at one point I was able to jump from my horse to the train, pretty cool..

Also possible to jump on your horse from the roof or 2nd story of buildings.

This game is neat, but I think people here kind of over-react, I've played it for 8 hours now, and it has many flaws. And it really is a lot like GTA.

Well, I thought GTA IV was absolutely incredible to watch and to play ... the only thing that detracted me from it was the weird forced side-missions and the COUSIN LETS PLAY POOL COUSIN stuff. Other than that almost all the characters were great.

Now you have RDR ... all the great things that were awesome from GTA and a really great storyline to boot with excellent voice acting and great scripts.

I'm not really sure about the 'many flaws' statement because I honestly haven't come across one, unless you count little shit like a horse pathing weird around a cactus or minuscule shit like that.

I know some might be overreacting but honestly I've played for about 5-6 hours and I am absolutely blown away. I guess I just glance over the 'many flaws' or maybe I'm just blinded to them because of all the other positives. It's a curse of enjoying the medium I guess.

Haunted

Sn4ke_911 said:
another one from Germany

holy shit!!!
I've honestly seen quite the advertising push here in Germany, it completely dominates the in-game stores, I've seen a surprising number of TV commercials and various posters all over the place.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
I love the FEEL of RDR so much better than GTA IV.

Even though it essentially uses the same control scheme of GTA IV, the movement of Marston feels more responsive and quicker than Niko.

Good job Rockstar.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Dresden said:
Also, Bonnie:
holy shit did she get roughed up by those bandits.

That mission made me nervous as fuck.
If she died, I was never going to go for the Alive option on any bandit, ever again. That was tense as hell.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Haunted said:
I've honestly seen quite the advertising push here in Germany, it completely dominates the in-game stores, I've seen a surprising number of TV commercials and various posters all over the place.

for the new page

34qvbxd.jpg

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
This is the quintessential western game, and I strongly doubt that there will be a better one until the sequel comes out years from now.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
So is anyone else having issues with the bounty for the Deadly Assassin outfit just never showing up? I've done four bounties now and Mo van Barr hasn't shown up yet. I keep reading on GameFAQs that it's a glitch (supposedly confirmed by Rockstar on the IGN boards). Anyone else having troubles with it?

Dresden

Topher said:
This is the quintessential western game, and I strongly doubt that there will be a better one until the sequel comes out years from now.
More like, no other studio can spend nearly a hundred million dollars crafting such a large and detailed world necessary for a real Western game.

Topher said:

I was just thinking the same thing. I can't see how it could be bested by anybody that it not totally ripping it off.

Bison11

damnit. I tried to jump this little gorge and of course I didnt make it. I lived, but poor ole bessie didnt make it out alive. Now, when I call my horse its not the same one.

I am pissed, I liked that horse. Does anyone know how to make a wild horse yours after you break them. I broke this sweet black horse but it didnt come when I whistled

Kaako

Felium Defensor
TheCardPlayer said:
If she died, I was never going to go for the Alive option on any bandit, ever again. That was tense as hell.
Same here...the first thing I did was go in dead eye mode and
shoot the damn rope
. Then I went apeshit and shot every bad guy multiple times in the head. Very intense.
Bison11 said:
damnit. I tried to jump this little gorge and of course I didnt make it. I lived, but poor ole bessie didnt make it out alive. Now, when I call my horse its not the same one.

I am pissed, I liked that horse. Does anyone know how to make a wild horse yours after you break them. I broke this sweet black horse but it didnt come when I whistled
Hitch the horse you break.
Also if you want to have one permanently, just buy it from the shop. Then every time it dies you can bring it back using your horse certificate or whatever it's called.

daddynorcal

Neo Member
alr1ghtstart said:
Any idea what the title update did?

The patch was meant to resolve a number of known Multiplayer issues that we discovered pre-release. We are currently working on fixes for every reported issue we've come across thus far. Expect an update soon.

Dresden

TheCardPlayer said:
Yeah. I was surprised by how strongly I felt about
keeping her alive. She's amusing and a very likable character.

Smokey

Bison11 said:

I think you have to "hitch" it somewhere in town for it to become yours?

Reason why I say this is I got an achievement for using the same horse for 20 story missions. The description said something like use the same horse for 20 missions without hitching another (which I assume is how you would take ownership of a horse in the wild).

I wish I knew this. I broke a sweet horse way off on the west side of the map and used it when I was over there but eventually it left after I got engaged with some goons.

JoeBoy101

As I predicted last week, the comparisons between Oblivion (GTA) and Fallout 3 (RDR) are coming to fruition. Oh, they are both open worlds, but where one is just an area with different content places to go with not much investment in it GTA (Oblivion), RDR (Fallout 3) uses unique locations and random events to help flesh out a world that is more than just go here and do this mission. In fact, RDR does it better than Fallout 3 through collecting, minigames, and other diversionary challenges to get you completely involved in the world and ignore questing/missions entirely.

BTW, that poster is better than the Times Square one.

Does the sheriff give any kind of good reward if you save him in tumbleweed? the game said I abandoned him as I was running to kill other enemies. Don't know if I should do it again, and probably won't if it is just cash.

^about tumbleweed

JoeBoy101 said:
Just a reminder guys, some of us are still playing or are not in the states and do not have it yet. SPOILER those missions and I would ask the same for the random encounters too. They have real impact when your not expecting them.

fine

but this stuff sucks. Is there another thread where we can freely talk about this stuff? I'm not far into the game and don't want to know later game stuff, but I have questions about stuff a bit into the game. It's hard to get answer with everything in black.

JoeBoy101

Just a reminder guys, some of us are still playing or are not in the states and do not have it yet. SPOILER those missions and I would ask the same for the random encounters too. They have real impact when your not expecting them.

Love the game, but I feel it's got a few relatively minor but nagging issues:

-Little too easy. With fast-travel, whistling for a horse at any time, mark and execute with bullet-time, super accurate guns and an infinite ammo supply at any hideout, it's tough to feel challenged. I'm definitely switching to expert targeting on my next go around.

-Money. The bounties give you a well over a hundred if you keep them alive and with all the random events, hunting and looting, it's very easy to stock up on cash. Unlike GTA4, there's quite a bit to spend on but I wish the game would force us to use our wallets a little more.

Seraphis Cain said:
So is anyone else having issues with the bounty for the Deadly Assassin outfit just never showing up? I've done four bounties now and Mo van Barr hasn't shown up yet. I keep reading on GameFAQs that it's a glitch (supposedly confirmed by Rockstar on the IGN boards). Anyone else having troubles with it?
I had it show up but I didn't take it at the time.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
can someone link me to the western movies thread that was made in honor of RDR , the thread was made pretty recently but I cant find it for the life of me .

JoeBoy101 said:
... the comparisons between Oblivion (GTA) and Fallout 3 (RDR) are coming to fruition. Oh, they are both open worlds, but where one is just an area with different content places to go with not much investment in it GTA (Oblivion), RDR (Fallout 3) uses unique locations and random events to help flesh out a world that is more than just go here and do this mission.
Setting the game in the twilight of the wild west just suits Rockstars themes and gameplay so much better. Exploring the gray areas of violence, morality and society in a dense modern metropolis just makes you a psychopath. Your action inevitably land you in a death-by-cop scenario.

But transplanting that to the west, where your'e literally beyond the edge of civilization, where life is a literal fight for survival and the law is defined by who's left standing, it's perfect. Maybe it'll creep in later, but I'm not feeling that disconnect between the way the story presents my actions, and how I'm experiencing them, like I did in GTAIV.

It's genius really. It's like Rockstar has always been making westerns, they just didn't realize it.

Zeliard

Red Blaster said:
Love the game, but I feel it's got a few relatively minor but nagging issues:

-Little too easy. With fast-travel, whistling for a horse at any time, mark and execute with bullet-time, super accurate guns and an infinite ammo supply at any hideout, it's tough to feel challenged. I'm definitely switching to expert targeting on my next go around.

You should just switch to expert now. It's a lot more fun having more freedom to target specific parts of an enemy. Shooting guns out of their hands is awesome, especially when you're doing the aiming.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Man, I had the coolest bandit takedown foiled by clumsiness just now.

Someone in town screamed that their horse just got stolen, so I shoot out of town and apprehend the guy by lassoing him off the horse, tying him to my horse and with the stolen horse in tow bring em all back alive...and i brush againt the victim with my horse as I return and the game tells me I failed because I attacked the guy. Such a good feeling dashed.

Red Blaster said:
-Money. The bounties give you a well over a hundred if you keep them alive and with all the random events, hunting and looting, it's very easy to stock up on cash. Unlike GTA4, there's quite a bit to spend on but I wish the game would force us to use our wallets a little more.

Is there a game that gets this right? There are so many games where you are filthy rich by the 4th hour.

Forsete

speculawyer said:
What a waste of money. Pachter told me Westerns don't sell in Europe since Europeans have no interest in Westerns.

Few things are as interesting as the western era, where men were men.. unlike today. ;)

Emitan

How is the Free Mode? It's the primary reason I'm buying the game. I didn't even get halfway through GTA IV because I spent so much time in free mode with friends.

MMaRsu

Goddamn that video is already taken down.. What is R*'s problem? Why aren't they taking down GTAIV vids from youtube right now then? I don't see the purpose of deleting funny video's with guys getting drunk and run over.

R* are such douchebags.. arrogant pricks most of the time. However, they sure can create an AWESOME game. Gonna be up real early tomorrow to get to the store when it opens, buy some weed and play that shit alllllllllll day.

JoeBoy101 said:
I'll whistle for my horse, but then I haven't lost him yet. He's always within walking distance. If I lose him completely, I won't whistle.

After seeing the trailers, my wife was convinced that Marston was voice by Bill Paxton. :lol

After reading the earlier posts, I was just about to reply that he sounds like Paxton to me.

Forsete

I havent been paying much attention to the multiplayer modes (not much for MP).. But free mode? More infos please!
Sounds interesting. If I love the game as much as I think I will I might get a 2nd PS3+game (I was considering upgrading to a slim anyvejs) so me and my brah can vreck havoc. :D

denomes

How do you mark and execute? I'm about a couple hours in and haven't figured it out yet. Do I have to learn it as part of a mission?

JoNike

Neo Member
denomes said:
How do you mark and execute? I'm about a couple hours in and haven't figured it out yet. Do I have to learn it as part of a mission?

On Xbox 360, press on the Right Stick when a gun is equipped.

Tek

Seraphis Cain said:

Nope, he was actually the first bounty available for me.

Artex

Banned
daddynorcal said:
The patch was meant to resolve a number of known Multiplayer issues that we discovered pre-release. We are currently working on fixes for every reported issue we've come across thus far. Expect an update soon.

Update for PS3 and 360?

Top Bottom