• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Patrick Bateman said:
My copy got shipped yesterday morning and is still not here.

HATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATE

I saw you saying yesterday that it was sent and that it would arrive today. I didn't want to say anything, but I assumed it was pretty obvious that in most places games usually take more than 1 day to arrive by mail.

Alright so when does the games missions pick up? I'm still doing Bonnies and honestly they are rather long and dull. I'm guessing though these are really meant as a tutorial for the game. Other then that though, game is fantastic looking and loving the western theme to the MAX!

Zeliard

Norml said:
I feel the cut scenes are too long and not all that great.Maybe I just don't like the story, because I have ended up skipping everyone.:(

Can't expect to get a proper grasp of the story if you keep skipping the cutscenes.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Well, I'm over in Mexico now and have explored it pretty well and... I'm a bit miffed that there is basically fuck-all reason to explore ahead on your own before doing main story missions. Other than the two towns with the main mission-givers, everything is initially populated with a minigame or two, maybe a property to buy, and that's it.

IMO there should be at least 1 stranger mission for every main settlement that's available regardless of story progression, just by finding the town. That would have made exploring feel a lot more purposeful than it was.

Plus there's areas that are clearly sites of future struggles, but if you get there early you can just walk around freely with no incident. On my own, I found this jail in a rock face and just walked right in, guards didn't give a shit. Then I activate a story mission it's part of, and all of a sudden no one may pass, here's a ton of guards to shoot at you. Show up to a bandit camp out of sequence and everyone just stands around letting the stranger poke around. I'm sure I'll go there during a story mission where they'll shoot trespassers on sight.

Consistency would be nice. An impromptu gunfight, a "get out of here, stranger!" would have spiced up those uneventful expeditions nicely.

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Alright so when does the games missions pick up? I'm still doing Bonnies and honestly they are rather long and dull. I'm guessing though these are really meant as a tutorial for the game. Other then that though, game is fantastic looking and loving the western theme to the MAX!

Finish up Bonnie's missions then head to the Marshal. His first mission has some mini combat tutorials in them, but after that it picks up.

Rockstar tried their hardest to hide the tutorials and make them part of the story, and for the most part did a good job, but it does make the first hour or so drag. I restarted despite this cause I didn't feel like I was setting myself in the right mood for the game. Second time around, much more fun.

Dibbz

Every store around me is having problems with the shipment of the game or sold out for tomorrow. Is this happening everywhere or just in my town? UK here btw.

Patrick Bateman said:
WHERE'S MY GODDAMN PACKAGE WITH THE GAME??

k1qgw4.gif

I needed that :lol

TheNiX said:
Finish up Bonnie's missions then head to the Marshal. His first mission has some mini combat tutorials in them, but after that it picks up.

Rockstar tried their hardest to hide the tutorials and make them part of the story, and for the most part did a good job, but it does make the first hour or so drag. I restarted despite this cause I didn't feel like I was setting myself in the right mood for the game. Second time around, much more fun.

Thats good to know. I think my issue is im in "Alan Wake" mode and so I had thought I heard the start of Red Dead was slow so just wanted to make sure it wasn't just me not giving the game a fair shot. I fully intend to get into this game though. I've beaten the original, GUN, Call of Juarez, and any other wester game I get my hands on so this should prove to be the same.

Frostburn

Played a few hours last night, lost sleep because of it. It was well worth it, the game is amazing. So much to do and see, I really prefer this open world to the dense city of GTA. I feel more drawn to the theme, story and characters. The game just drips atmosphere.

It still has multiplayer issues but the single player is so good I don't mind. Random encounters are great for breaking up the mission gameplay but I've shot the wrong guys twice now, sometime hard to tell who is who if you are trying to act quickly.

kaskade

So my friends came over and we started a new game so we can just kill everyone. I must say that is amazingly fun thanks to euphoria. Shooting people in the legs never gets old. I can't wait to unlock dead eye 3.

Beaulieu

well i don't know about others, but the missions leading to the attack of the fort were fuckin dragging. I mean no one in their right mind would continue to trust that snake oil vendor. Im stating mexico now I hope it gets better.

The story is getting really similar to GTAIV story, why would marston kill everyone that hates the snake oil merchant ?

The stranger's quests are really intereseting though.

chidrock

Okay, these might be a dumb questions, but I couldn't find anything on it anywhere...

On the night watch patrol you come across two guys fighting - how do you handle it? I've tried pushing them, shooting them in the legs, etc and I always get a message stating that I didn't stop any crimes. This also applis to a guy I found in the wilderness who was getting held up.

Craziest thing I saw was also in the wilderness - a guy morning over his dead wife/girlfriend pulls out a gun and shoots himself. Was I supposed to stop it somehow? I didn't even know what was going on until it was done because it wasn't a cutscene or anything.

Majine said:
Ah, those were the days of ye old west. Invisible horses, airborn wagons... rough times.

Have you seen the total effect of that bug. I kept playing through it. The game world broke.

When you walked through a door they would fall off the hinges. At one point I had mutiple airborne carriages even off in the distance (it seemed that they were launching as soon as the game generated them even outside Armadillo. One carriage landed on top of Dickens carriage vertically so the horse that was tied to the carrige was straight up and down in the air. :lol

TheKurgan

Jtyettis said:
So, raise of hands of who's just been hunting. So addicting. :D

Up to challenge 7. Anyone got a nice spot for Elk?

Still not that far into the game but hunting is easily one of my favorite activities. The ride between Bonnie's Ranch and the Marshall takes me about half an hour because I can't go 30 seconds without killing a rabbit, bird, deer, etc... It's very satisfying to chase a buck through the trees, activate dead eye and taking him down.

How do you activate the Hunting Challenges? Is it a random encounter?

TheKurgan said:
How do you activate the Hunting Challenges? Is it a random encounter?
From what I have been reading, you can hit start and see what challenge you need to do at the challenges menu, for example:
kill 5 deers and then if you do that it updates automatically and a new challenge is in your menu.

JoeBoy101

For those wondering how the Warhorse works after getting the code:

Check your inventory. Now you have a certificate for the Warhorse. When you activate the certificate, your current horse is dropped, and in comes galloping a dark skinned-bright haired mare that can really pelt out the speed. Using the certificate also autosaves your game. Then you treat it just like any other horse. Should you ever replace it or lose it, just use the certificate again to get another one. I'm also guessing all the other horse certificates work like this.

In Other News:

Checked out the newspapers last night and was very impressed with who well written they are and informative at times. Some of the ads were hysterical and the story about the health benefits of tobacco.

Also did quite a bit of cattle herding and found it far more fun that I thought it would be. Same for horse breaking. Also got the super bad ass duster and the
Bollard Twins Outfit
. It allows you to disguise yourself as one of the gang, but I guess its situational as you can't put it on normally.

JoeBoy101

The Dutch Slayer said:
From what I have been reading, you can hit start and see what challenge you need to do at the challenges menu, for example:
kill 5 deers and then if you do that it updates automatically and a new challenge is in your menu.

Yeah, but Rank 2 is kill 5 wolves with a knife. Shit gets real, quick.

owlbeak

Jtyettis said:
So, raise of hands of who's just been hunting. So addicting. :D

Up to challenge 7. Anyone got a nice spot for Elk?
I'm looking for Gordo the legendary boar! :D It was tough finding and killing the legendary Wolf because HE WAS INVISIBLE! :lol Also, killing the bear with a knife was rather difficult. :)

I love the hunting. Having a tough time finding Coyotes though.

hiryu

Class_A_Ninja said:
Has anyone got their Amazon credit for this game yet? I got a $5 MP3 credit right when I bought it, and I'm worried something went horribly awry.

Came to ask the same thing. I received an email with my golden guns code but nothing about the gift certificate.

OK I just changed my aiming scheme to expert in singleplayer and my own enjoyment of the game doubled almost instantly.

Pumping the left trigger was getting old. Shootouts are a lot harder now but that's part of what is making it more fun for me. Pretty satisfying to move the gun into position and take out their leg or arm or head manually.

TheKurgan

The Dutch Slayer said:

Ahh okay - Thanks.

JoeBoy101 said:
Yeah, but Rank 2 is kill 5 wolves with a knife. Shit gets real, quick.

Yikes! How hard is a wolf to take down with a knife?

Plissken

Loving the game so far, but one thing has been bugging me. I got my first Treasure Map, and it really looks like it is right near Hanging Rock in New Austin, but for the life of me I cannot find the spot. Is there some sort of sound or mark I need to listen/look for? Or do I need to progress and get a shovel or something? I just rescued
the snake oil merchant
, am I not far enough into the story to properly treasure hunt?

TheKurgan

chidrock said:
Okay, these might be a dumb questions, but I couldn't find anything on it anywhere...

On the night watch patrol you come across two guys fighting - how do you handle it? I've tried pushing them, shooting them in the legs, etc and I always get a message stating that I didn't stop any crimes. This also applis to a guy I found in the wilderness who was getting held up.

Craziest thing I saw was also in the wilderness - a guy morning over his dead wife/girlfriend pulls out a gun and shoots himself. Was I supposed to stop it somehow? I didn't even know what was going on until it was done because it wasn't a cutscene or anything.

I am in the same boat. Not sure what I am supposed to do in half of the random encounters I come across. Saw a guy stab a hooker to death behind the Saloon after a late night poker game. I wanted to shoot the guy, but didn't want a bounty, negative fame, etc... so I just looted her corpse instead. :D

owlbeak

Dude Abides said:
Where do you get the hunting challenges?
Press start and go to your Journal and look in Free Roam, the challenges are in there and as you beat them you'll get a notification onscreen. Then go back to your Journal to see the next rank of that challenge. Rinse, repeat.

owlbeak

JetBlackPanda said:
Does anyone have a list of the avatar awards and how to get them?
The list of what they are is out, how to get them is another story.

Sombrero
Shoot somebody’s hat off.

Posse T-Shirt
Complete a Community Challenge [assume this means Social Club]

Lady’s Finery
Currently Unknown

Yellow Rockstar Logo T-Shirt
Currently Unknown

Black on Red RDR Logo T-Shirt
Currently Unknown

Gentleman’s Attire
Currently Unknown

legbone

Plissken said:
Loving the game so far, but one thing has been bugging me. I got my first Treasure Map, and it really looks like it is right near Hanging Rock in New Austin, but for the life of me I cannot find the spot. Is there some sort of sound or mark I need to listen/look for? Or do I need to progress and get a shovel or something? I just rescued
the snake oil merchant
, am I not far enough into the story to properly treasure hunt?

keep checking. it is there. you have to go inbetween two rocks if i remember right. the map is surprisingly accurate. it shows the angle you should be looking at in the second part of the map (for the hanging rock one at least). the two photos are of hanging rock showing what angles to approach from.

Baker

Banned
JoeBoy101 said:
Checked out the newspapers last night and was very impressed with who well written they are and informative at times. Some of the ads were hysterical and the story about the health benefits of tobacco.
Oh man, I was cracking up at that article last night. It was all about how you had to smoke if you worked in a factory so you wouldn't get tuberculosis or something crazy.

As a dipper, I get a kick out of chewing tobacco being a power-up and many of the early purchasable properties having chew advertisements on the outside walls.

I'm also enjoying the game a lot more once I got the lasso. Breaking horses and tying up bad guys are infinitely fun.

legbone said:
keep checking. it is there. you have to go inbetween two rocks if i remember right. the map is surprisingly accurate. it shows the angle you should be looking at in the second part of the map (for the hanging rock one at least). the two photos are of hanging rock showing what angles to approach from.
I didn't think the map was super accurate because of the cacti. It threw me off for a couple minutes. I pretty much conceded on even attempting to find treasure #2 for a couple days. The map was nuts.

Dude Abides

Banned
Horsebite said:
Press start and go to your Journal and look in Free Roam, the challenges are in there and as you beat them you'll get a notification onscreen. Then go back to your Journal to see the next rank of that challenge. Rinse, repeat.

Ok, thanks. I thought I had to get them from a questgiver or something.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Only played a tiny bit last night so far, but i can already tell its going to be an awesome experience!!!

For those with the PS3 version, someone mentioned this someplace and its totally true....go into the game options and raise the contrast and the other one (forgot the name..) by one or two clicks and it makes the colors pop out even more!

jlevel13

Quick question - is the US 360 version region free (I currently only have a j360, due to RROD, but live in the US)? Would prefer the 360 version, but haven't been able to find out about the region coding (I know GTA IV was region free on the 360 though).

DMeisterJ

Banned
I hope that the PS3 version's online is not shitty tonight like last night again. Maybe it was just straine servers...

/wishful thinking

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
sloppyjoe_gamer said:
Only played a tiny bit last night so far, but i can already tell its going to be an awesome experience!!!

For those with the PS3 version, someone mentioned this someplace and its totally true....go into the game options and raise the contrast and the other one (forgot the name..) by one or two clicks and it makes the colors pop out even more!

Thanks for the tip I'm going to try this out. If I have one complaint it's that the colors are a little dull, hopefully doing this will alleviate that gripe.

Baker

Banned
DMeisterJ said:
I hope that the PS3 version's online is not shitty tonight like last night again. Maybe it was just straine servers...

/wishful thinking
I still haven't been able to use my golden gun code or connect to the social club on 360.

The News section finally showed up late last night, but I couldn't actually sign in.

DMeisterJ said:

/wishful thinking

Me too, I really want to play with all GAF'rs. It's really frustrating actually. As I said last night in the chat by the time they get this working I probably won't give a shit :(.

RbBrdMan said:
Thanks for the tip I'm going to try this out. If I have one complaint it's that the colors are a little dull, hopefully doing this will alleviate that gripe.

I've also done this and really the game looks fabulous. Remember there is a prime viewing range for different HD resolutions. I don't notice any of the graphical intricacies at 6 feet away. The game looks really good regardless.

Edgeward

So I know my copy of RDR will arrive today, thanks Amazon Prime! And I hear there is a gaf ps3 chatroom or two, so would someone as to be so kind to send an invite to Edgeward34? :D

Top Bottom