• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Hi-tekk

Neo Member
Is it just me or is shooting people randomly to loot them isn't really worth it? Because when that happens, you:

a) have a bounty put on you for MORE than what you looted that person for

b) you have the local authorities come out of NO WHERE to come and hunt you down (even though there's no one in the area to report your crime)

So yeah, I also have an extra golden weapons code. Looking to trade for another preorder code (360 version bu I don't think it matters?)

PM if interested.

dread9

Banned
:( I don't know what it is, but last night I was just TERRIBLE with my expert aiming on mp modes. It seems sooo heavy sometimes and so frustrating. Can anyone recommend a good sensitivity setting to try or any other tips?

Wiggum2007

Plissken said:
Loving the game so far, but one thing has been bugging me. I got my first Treasure Map, and it really looks like it is right near Hanging Rock in New Austin, but for the life of me I cannot find the spot. Is there some sort of sound or mark I need to listen/look for? Or do I need to progress and get a shovel or something? I just rescued
the snake oil merchant
, am I not far enough into the story to properly treasure hunt?

It is not very far from the Hanging Rock,
I believe it is on the inside of the road circling the rock and tree.

Lolligag

Oh right.... I forgot to skin animals.

Cougar killed me and my horse in one swoop. I heard the roar, but he just popped out of no where and bam, I was dead. I'm scared to go off the track now. :(

Where's a good spot to hunt rabbits?

TheKurgan

Edgeward said:
So I know my copy of RDR will arrive today, thanks Amazon Prime! And I hear there is a gaf ps3 chatroom or two, so would someone as to be so kind to send an invite to Edgeward34? :D

Add me too please: "TheKurganCanada"

not sure if I will be on tonight - but Friday, Saturday and Sunday night for sure!

owlbeak

dread9 said:
:( I don't know what it is, but last night I was just TERRIBLE with my expert aiming on mp modes. It seems sooo heavy sometimes and so frustrating. Can anyone recommend a good sensitivity setting to try or any other tips?
Even with sensitivity up all the way, aiming on expert is still "heavy". It's got a deadband or something even if you jam the stick all the way any direction it will move slowly for a small area and then speed up. I wish the sensitivity could go higher.

Okay, PS3 multiplayer is straight up broken. I've had it bug out a number of times and every time I end a multi session, it stays at the the loading screen indefinitely. The only option I have is to reboot my system. Testicles! Anyone else having this problem?

Edit: game is still awesome on a stick.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Russian Steve said:
Okay, PS3 multiplayer is straight up broken. I've had it bug out a number of times and every time I end a multi session, it stays at the the loading screen indefinitely. The only option I have is to reboot my system. Testicles! Anyone else having this problem?

Edit: game is still awesome on a stick.
I'm having complete freezes in multiplayer on the PS3 during the actual session. The entire console locks up except for the music track.

johnnyg87

Neo Member
Long time Official Red Dead Redemption thread reader, first time poster.

Love this game so far for what I've been able to play after work. The environment feels so vivid and alive... GTA4 did as well but something about this setting just works for the open world game. I've done about 12 or 13 missions so far, got the lasso etc. and am loving the single player. Much better story thusfar than GTA4, and the voice acting is definitely on par (though does anyone else feel the cutscene dialogue has a much different tone than the dialogue when you're riding your horse?).

In terms of multiplayer gave it my first try last night and was very impressed. Started in private free roam with a friend to get the hang of it... rode my donkey around for a bit. Then jumped into public free roam. Still not completely sure how it works.. is it limited to a certain number of players (a guild wars style of multiplayer) or does it just add new people as you move around? Whatever the case it was cool to posse up, ride around and find new people... whether we ended up killing each other or just staring as we rode by waiting to see who was going to make the first move. We then went into the mixed bag gametype which I can see myself spending a LOT of time in. The first few games no one really knew what to do so I capped the bags pretty easily 4 or 5 times without even being shot at. But after people got the hang of it games got really competitive, especially once people started taking advantage of the dead eye re-fills. There were some pretty epic cross-map shootouts using that.

All in all a great start to the game for me... won't be calling it GOTY until I play Galaxy 2 and a few others this year, but this will undoubtedly be in my top 3. RDR is the reason we play and love games... if you're unsure about whether to pick it up or not hopefully this post will push you in the right direction!

DeadGzuz

Banned
hiryu said:
I received an email with my golden guns code but nothing about the gift certificate.

I got my golden gun code in an insert inside the game, but they defiantly re-shrank wrap the game to get it in. It also says the code is good for the sound track. Of course when I tried the code in game the R* server failed.

Can't say I'm real happy with the game. Seems kind of slow and like a GTA4 re-skin. I cannot believe R* did not make one engine improvement in two years (PS3). What do they do with their money, buy off reviewers?

Maybe it will pick up. I do like the chars and voice acting. It's the boring landscape and repetitive nature of missions I'm worried about. Is it always going to be ride across the landscape, shoot people, return to town?

SolidC213

Have an extra PS3 golden guns code. PM if interested in trading for any other code.

Game is awesome but buggy as hell. I had it hard lock on me right after I finished a hunting challenge and online I was disappearing, my guns were disappearing, and enemies were disappearing. (PS3) When it wasn't doing that shit though it was a blast!

Zeliard

Hi-tekk said:
b) you have the local authorities come out of NO WHERE to come and hunt you down (even though there's no one in the area to report your crime)

I dunno, this hasn't really been the case for me. I've actually been pretty impressed at the bounty system, and how if you kill someone off in the plains with nobody around, you can get away with it. There have been times where I killed one guy only to hear someone else that I didn't see go "I'm gonna go tell the sheriff!", and he starts running off on his horse. You can catch up to him and silence him and you'll get away with the crime.

It's neat - if you decide to start shooting at deputies, you'll get an automatic bounty and a large red circle on your map, but as soon as they're dead, it disappears (those deputies were the ones who put the bounty on you, so kill them and it's gone, because nobody else knows of it).

Dead

well not really...yet
Last night as I was playing some old nun came up to me and gave me somy holy jesus necklace that reduces enemy accuracy. Boss :D

Baker

Banned
Lolligag said:
Where's a good spot to hunt rabbits?
The easiest thing to do is find a random event where a couple parties are having a shoot-out.

If you hang back a little bit, all the wildlife will start fleeing from the gunshots. Deer and rabbits become fish in a barrel.

kaskade

Do do that social club pikes basin challenge, do I just go in there on my horse and fuck shit up? Or, is there some way to activate it. I'm pretty sure I did the pikes basin story mission.

Plissken

legbone said:
keep checking. it is there. you have to go inbetween two rocks if i remember right. the map is surprisingly accurate. it shows the angle you should be looking at in the second part of the map (for the hanging rock one at least). the two photos are of hanging rock showing what angles to approach from.

Wiggum2007 said:
It is not very far from the Hanging Rock,
I believe it is on the inside of the road circling the rock and tree

Thanks guys, found it! I didn't realize the map was 2 different pictures, I kept looking for a set of rocks and another tree with a noose that was further back from the Hanging Rock. :lol

stupei

Baker said:
It was shooting a bird for me. It was right after the first combat tutorial against bandits.

Actually I think the bird unlocks the sharpshooting challenges? Which are a different thing. Could be wrong.

edit: Which is one of the great things about this game. There are so many different strands of things to do and you can stumble across them just by screwing around; it's not all about searching out NPCs for quests like you would normally expect. Just having fun in the world can result in unlocking quests or new activities.

Ok is anyone on the PS3 version having issues (in MP) with their character DISAPPEARING? This is getting out-of-hand. I thought it was some strange glitch but it has happened everytime I've been in a game, and this last time it was almost 5 minutes elapsed. Where can I complain to R* about this?!

Dizzle24

Anyone know where the 2nd treasure is? I have no idea where to even begin looking! I got lucky with the first, but I'm just lost now :lol

stupei

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Ok is anyone on the PS3 version having issues (in MP) with their character DISAPPEARING? This is getting out-of-hand. I thought it was some strange glitch but it has happened everytime I've been in a game, and this last time it was almost 5 minutes elapsed. Where can I complain to R* about this?!

Happened on my friend in MP the other day, and that's on 360. So it's not a platform specific issue.

Baker

Banned
stupei said:
Actually I think the bird unlocks the sharpshooting challenges? Which are a different thing. Could be wrong.
Ohhh my bad. I forgot there were two different categories. I shot some dude in the face on horseback last night and unlocked an avatar award also.

Side question because I'm too lazy to go to gamefaqs: How to you complete the "Search Thieves Landing" part of the bandit outfit? I walked/rode back and forth to each edge of town three times and didn't get anything. Is there actually a container I have to find or something?

Five Finger Fillet was a blast though, although pretty easy once you learn all the button patterns.

Hi-tekk

Neo Member
Zeliard said:
I dunno, this hasn't really been the case for me. I've actually been pretty impressed at the bounty system, and how if you kill someone off in the plains with nobody around, you can get away with it. There have been times where I killed one guy only to hear someone else that I didn't see go "I'm gonna go tell the sheriff!", and he starts running off on his horse. You can catch up to him and silence him and you'll get away with the crime.

It's neat - if you decide to start shooting at deputies, you'll get an automatic bounty and a large red circle on your map, but as soon as they're dead, it disappears (those deputies were the ones who put the bounty on you, so kill them and it's gone, because nobody else knows of it).

Hmmm, interesting. I'll have to try it again. Because every time I shot someone in the wilderness, it just seemed like I always alerted the authorities and they came after me.

JoeBoy101

Kittonwy said:
Stupid cougarz killed two of my horzes.
Indifferent2.gif

cougar-4.jpg

johnnyg87

Neo Member
Hi-tekk said:
Hmmm, interesting. I'll have to try it again. Because every time I shot someone in the wilderness, it just seemed like I always alerted the authorities and they came after me.

Yeah from what I can tell it seems like the alert system is largely based on witnesses. Kill the witnesses and it goes away. Or if you kill someone without any witnesses nearby you're in the clear.

TheKurgan

Volcynika said:
Since you were second to respond to the guy offering one, want my extra one?

Doh.... I will put my name out there for a PS3 code just in case there is a fourth or fifth one out there. :lol

Zeliard

Hi-tekk said:

You'll probably always get negative honor for it, but it's not something you should get a bounty and authorities chasing you for unless other people saw you. I've killed plenty of people with no real consequence (other than to honor), simply because nobody else happened to be around.

In fact, everytime I come across one of those campfires where you can sit down and listen to a story, I kill the couple and loot their bodies after listening to them. Yeah, my Martson's pretty despicable. :p

Hi-tekk

Neo Member
Volcynika said:
Since you were second to respond to the guy offering one, want my extra one?

Actually Volcynika,

would you mind sending it to me since I posted before both of these guys about a Golden Guns code here on back on page 175? Many thanks if you don't mind! :D

P.S. Just in case you guys can't tell already, I really want a Golden Guns code also!

-Mikey-

Dizzle24 said:
Anyone know where the 2nd treasure is? I have no idea where to even begin looking! I got lucky with the first, but I'm just lost now :lol

Rio Del Lobo. It's to the south of Lake Don Julio. Look for a small campsite and you'll see a small passing. Follow it and stay to the left, it'll seem like you'll fall off the edge but you won't. Look for small rocks covering the treasure. Also, all treasure will be covered with rocks so keep an eye out.

I actually found the third treasure before the first but wasn't able to open it yet.

Beaulieu

Dizzle24 said:

Yeah it's by the river, up a hill with a campsite, theres a small house next to it. You just need to go down that cliff toward the river, watch out cause your can easily fall down. If you bought the maps, you should see the name of the place on your main map. The same name that is written on your treasure map.

Tr4nce

Ok, I'm too busy playing the game, since i just got it (PAL folk here), but I managed to change the settings on my TV a little, so that the game looks a bit softer, and better.

I have a samsung HDTV, and here is my settings:

E-mode: Off

P-mode: Movie

Contrast on the TV: highest

Lumination on the TV: highest

Ingame settings: Contrast and Saturation: 2 steps up .

I swear, the game looks much softer now! Way better!

tzare

how is the shooting/cover in the game? is it close to Uncharted ? Because i hated GTAIV shooting mechanics. I like what i see about the game but still not decided to buy it because of that.

Top Bottom