• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

owlbeak

Gamestop emailed me a second preorder code for the Deadly Assassin outfit and the official soundtrack.

I will be willing to trade this to someone with an extra Warhorse key preferrably, but will also trade for the golden guns key as well. PM me!

Edit: For 360!

Edit 2: Code has been claimed. Thanks!

Norml

Screenshot of the PS3 Home reward hat, set-up in LBP space.
:)
16hvibc.jpg

MMaRsu

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, I GOT EM.

Installing now, 360 version :D. Should I already enter the codes for the special edition shit? I mean I don't really want to have a big advantage in SP with all these golden guns and war horse etc.

razielim

A boar came out of nowhere like a ninja and killed my horse. So I pull out my shotgun, and get one shot in before it charges me then runs off. All I can think of is skinning this thing for killing my horse and I chase it over a small hill and see nothing but a river a few feet in front of me. I pull up my shotgun to get a closer look at the boar that must be in the river so I can mock it and be on my way, only I don't see it anywhere. Then out of nowhere this ninja boar charges me from behind and I went flying into the river and died.

Had a real good laugh. Boar 2 - John 0.

JambiBum

This happened after I beat the
Fort Mercer mission
I was going through looting bodies and found this guy missing an arm. Shitty cell phone quality ftw.

downsize-1.jpg

I shot him down after this picture and his arm grew back afterward :lol

Also, when you unlock the golden guns with the code where do you get them from in game?

pahamrick said:
Spoilered because it involves a Stranger quest.

The last bit of the American Appetites stranger quest line. Where you run up into the hills and run into the man with the broken leg, who asks you to capture and bring back the guy who broke it?

So, I'm running after this fleeing guy and just as I'm about to lasso him a cougar spawns RIGHT behind him as I'm chasing and proceeds to maul the guy. After disposing of the cougar, I run back to the man with the broke leg only to get told to bring the other guy back.

Quick bullet to the guy's head (since I was going to re-load a save to complete it correctly) and the quest clears out. In my status for strangers it said I saved the man from the cannibal. :lol

The guy with the broken leg IS a cannibal (there's more than one), he's trying to trick you into capturing his dinner and bring it back to him after it hurt him and escaped in that mission. Funny glitch though, I guess the mission doesn't take into consideration third-party actions. When I caught the cannibal, cut the other guy loose, and took his hogtied ass to the train tracks and waited for the 3:10 to Blackwater to pass by. :lol

Has anybody found a way to board a moving train? I tried hopping on it from my horse, but only ended up rolling in the dirt and then getting run over. There's gotta be a way.... it's a classic Western move.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
JambiBum said:
Also, when you unlock the golden guns with the code where do you get them from in game?

They just magically showed up for me in game after I entered the first code I got. It's like the 2 guns I currently had were dipped in gold. I'm wondering if I should have waited until I had more than just the 2 weapons.

JambiBum

PoweredBySoy said:
Has anybody found a way to board a moving train? I tried hopping on it from my horse, but only ended up rolling in the dirt and then getting run over. There's gotta be a way.... it's a classic Western move.

You have to be in certain areas between train cars. Around where they connect. You'll get a button prompt to do so when you are in the right spot.

JambiBum

RbBrdMan said:
They just magically showed up for me in game after I entered the first code I got. It's like the 2 guns I currently had were dipped in gold. I'm wondering if I should have waited until I had more than just the 2 weapons.

Huh. It said I unlocked them but it doesn't seem like none of my guns are dipped in gold. Maybe I'll go through and look at them.

MMaRsu said:
fuuuuu.jpg

Lots of stores selling it around my area, but none in my town. I don't feel like taking a trip by train which will cost me money and time to get it, but it's FUCKING ANNOYING that some stores are already selling it, even other branches of a certain chain but the ones in my town wont fucking sell it to me. THIS IS SOME BULLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLSHIT

Where bouts are you?

TBH I feel bad that I'm playing it when I only preordered it on Monday and haven't really been following it that much before last week.

Who else found the 'tutorial' section very slow and boring? I hate when open world games with incredible environments to explore, like this one, chain you to a ridiculously small section of the world for the first hour. I couldn't wait to say fuck you
bonnie
and go hunting. I suppose I enjoy progressing to new areas as I continue the game, and it does do a lot for more making the map seem more concentrated.... oh well back to the hunt.

Marvie_3

Banned
PoweredBySoy said:
A prompt will come up when you're even with one of the gaps between cars. Then you can just hop right on.

JambiBum

So it looks like only the first two weapons are dipped in gold. The cattleman and the repeater carbine. Figures it would be the two shittiest weapons that give you bonuses :lol

JambiBum said:
Huh. It said I unlocked them but it doesn't seem like none of my guns are dipped in gold. Maybe I'll go through and look at them.

It should be the Cattleman Revolver (your starting pistol) and the Repeater Rifle (that you get shortly into your first or second mission from Bonnie), those are the only weapons effected by the code. It's most telling on your revolver.

Rockstar games such as GTA IV abd now RDR are hands down the most enjoyable games I play that are dramatically in need of a fuckin' control scheme overhaul.

It could be that work has sucked this week and my mind is fried but holy fuck am I struggling with the controls.

I wish I had a dollar for every time I took cover when instead I wanted to switch weapons and vice versa.

Or panic/freak out during a PVP fight, put too much pressure on L3 and now I'm crouching and gunslinging...oy.

It's all just so cumbersome. I know I'll get it all down eventually but man...

It made me realize something though. I heard two guys at work this morning talking about Red Dead Revolver and they are most definitely not the enthusiast gamer type. They buy one or two games a year, and the research they do on games consists of seeing commercials about a game, and word of mouth. They don't care about controls. They just want Grand Theft Auto with cowboys.

Complexity of controls simply is not a barrier if the end user finds the game, the concept of the game and the story of the game compelling enough.

If the game is good, they'll forgive the controls, learn them and power-through.

Also...I'm loving the HELL out of the dialogue.

Rebel Leader said:

Yay!

Nista

Dresden said:
Just bought the sawed-off shotgun and the Springfield at Thieve's Landing. I really like the Springfield, and how it forces you to measure your shots. I want to buy the Buffalo rifle, but it's never available.

Also stopped using Normal aiming and switched to Expert. It's not that much harder, and it makes killing riders that much more satisfying.

The Buffalo rifle won't unlock until you do a bunch of the ambient hunting challenges. It's well worth it, it's my favorite weapon for putting down the ninja boars, cougars and bears in one shot to the head.

themadcowtipper

Smells faintly of rancid stilton.
Need a Little Help Please.

Warning Game spoilers.

How do you stop the train, before it blows up, after it is stolen???

Thanks, Awesome Game.

Norml

I feel the cut scenes are too long and not all that great.Maybe I just don't like the story, because I have ended up skipping everyone.:(

R2D4

Banned
I was running around and found a
Cannilbal trying to eat a woman so I shot him and saved her. Then went to Armadillo and started the American Appetite missions. Was this guy a seperate cannibal or the main bad guy in those missions? I had to find the son and the wife. And now I'm going back to tell the husband but I'm afraid I already shot the bad guy and the mission won't end. Are there two cannibals or am I screwed?

My copy got shipped yesterday morning and is still not here.

HATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATE

Class_A_Ninja said:
Has anyone got their Amazon credit for this game yet? I got a $5 MP3 credit right when I bought it, and I'm worried something went horribly awry.
Yeah, I haven't gotten it either. Usually I get them faster (for example, I got the Split/Second one two days ago).

Nista

Rebel Leader said:
From what alot of people are saying inviting people to a private match, the glitches occur less frequently or very minimal.

Yeah I had no problem playing in private free roam games.

This makes me suspect that this is one of those types of online bugs that only occurs when you have a lot of people around in a game session. Having played many online games at launch and seeing bizarre issues, I wouldn't doubt that it didn't start happening until the game hit the live network environment, and something deep down is getting overloaded.

Makes me glad I'm not a programmer! :lol

Hari Seldon

I'm souring on this game rapidly. Buying it was probably a mistake. Only 2.5 hours in. Love the main character, love the graphics, the horses, the terrain, and everything. Hate the GTA shit.

Hi-tekk

Neo Member
Just a few quick questions:

1. I just bought a map of some "Rio" area. Was that a waste?

2. How do I get the lasso and where?

3. Been looking around for a while now and haven't seen poker yet? Am i missing something?

4. Also, if anyone has an extra Golden Guns code for the PS3 they wouldn't mind giving up, would you mind sending it to me in a PM? Thx! :D

Nista

levious said:
oh is that how you access it?

Same as the other horse deed, you can use it as many times as you want. As soon as I break a new horse, I make sure to go grab its deed from the store.

I really like the war horse, though the black stallion you catch up north is much faster than it. It reminds me of the evil horse from Oblivion, except it doesn't try to kill wildlife and bandits for me.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Hi-tekk said:
Just a few quick questions:

1. I just bought a map of some "Rio" area. Was that a waste? - I don't buy maps but to each his own.

2. How do I get the lasso and where? Do some more missions for
Bonnie

3. Been looking around for a while now and haven't seen poker yet? Am i missing something?
IIRC it's an Icon on the map that looks like a dart board, there is one in Armidillo, and another at the opening ranch. After about an hour of playtime for me.

owlbeak

Nista said:
Yeah I had no problem playing in private free roam games.

This makes me suspect that this is one of those types of online bugs that only occurs when you have a lot of people around in a game session.
I can verify that happens regardless of player counts. My friend and I started a private free roam last night to do some hunting challenges and were constantly going invisible, not to mention the bears we were hunting and our guns, hats, horses, etc. It was fucking annoying to the point we gave up. We started three different matches and joined a couple of public free roams to pretty much the same results every time.

At one point right before we created our second private game, every model was invisible. Every town was a ghost town, no visible people or horses. Fences were gone, trees were popping in and out. It was BAD. :lol

JMizzlin

Just as I expected the Australian street date was broken by a day :)

Now that I've finished my assignment on Modern China I can delve into the Wild West for the rest of the night :D Looks like it'll be a sleepless one :lol

Anyone one in the UK get their pre order bonuses to work yet? Keeps saying it cant connect to the rockstar servers for me :(

I love all the information on the RStar social board, nice little challenges and extras.

Nista

Horsebite said:
I can verify that happens regardless of player counts. My friend and I started a private free roam last night to do some hunting challenges and were constantly going invisible, not to mention the bears we were hunting and our guns, hats, horses, etc. It was fucking annoying to the point we gave up. We started three different matches and joined a couple of public free roams to pretty much the same results every time.

At one point right before we created our second private game, every model was invisible. Every town was a ghost town, no visible people or horses. Fences were gone, trees were popping in and out. It was BAD. :lol

Hmm did it go away if you quit game and rebooted from scratch? I wonder how I was avoiding this bug, since it seems so common. I must be playing multiplayer differently somehow. :lol

ascully

Class_A_Ninja said:
Has anyone got their Amazon credit for this game yet? I got a $5 MP3 credit right when I bought it, and I'm worried something went horribly awry.

I emailed and asked they said it will be sent sometime next week, most likely the end of the week. Annoying as I was planning on using it to purchase Blur.

Hari Seldon

ascully said:
I emailed and asked they said it will be sent sometime next week, most likely the end of the week. Annoying as I was planning on using it to purchase Blur.

I haven't gotten mine and my Golden Gun code did not work. It kept saying R* servers were down, and then it went through once and said the code was used. I'm probably going to trade this game in anyway so no big thing, I just want my Amazon $20.

Played about 6 hours. GOTY for me so far. I'm totally immersed in the world.

Some of the things I love:
- World seems so alive. Even traveling between places is fun because there is so much wildlife and there is always something to shoot, or just a random encounter that will get you sidetracked. Of course, it looks great too. The lighting is fantastic.
- The voice acting is really good. The characters are interesting and likable. I hope that continues. In GTA IV, I kinda liked Niko for a while, but after he got all that money, and still complained and murdered everybody, he just became annoying. Everybody in that game just seemed like an asshole.
- Gunplay is satisfying. I'm playing on normal, and while the auto-aim is strong, I like the pop-and-shoot mechanism. Just try and center your view on an enemy, pop up and BANG! It's nice because sometimes the enemies are quite a distance from you, and often difficult to see.
- Sound is really top-notch. From the ambient environmental noises, to the sounds of the weapons, to the amazing soundtrack: all are exceptional. And the music comes in at just the right times to set the mood. It's not overdone or intrusive at all.
- Game structure is such a huge improvement over GTA IV. I like the option to save anywhere, and fast-travel if I don't have much time. And mid-mission checkpoints are a god-send. The lack thereof is the reason I never finished GTA IV.
- So far, the missions have offered some variety. I've even gone back and done a couple of missions twice just because they were fun, and I wanted to experience them with different weather or time of day effects. The first time I did the wild horse capture mission was in the driving rain, with lightening causing a strobe-light. It was surreal and tense. I replayed that mission in the middle of a bright sunny day and it was a completely different experience.

Some issues I had:
- controls can still seem wonky at times. Getting in and out of cover can be clumsy. But I guess it's a bit of a trade off because you do feel vulnerable, even behind cover. And there's a chance you can fall off of anything and hurt yourself. He is not Atair.
- Graphics are great, but some texture pop-in (360 version). Really not too noticeable, but I can't wait to get my hands on the PC version. And the framerate on the cutscenes seems to stutter just a bit.
- Glitches everywhere. I had one where the button prompts disappear and I couldn't even mount my horse. But most of the time, they're just funny; ie improper animations, disappearing people and animals, etc.
- I Do wish there was a "change -view" option to over the shoulder pov. My character seems too far away sometimes, and I spend a lot of my time in "aiming-view". Of course, npc's don't like when you are targeting them, and it's easy to get in trouble that way.

But overall, this game is a classic. One of the very, very few to actually exceed my hype.

I enjoy the world so much, I might even get into the multiplayer. Please add me. I have no friends :(

gamertag: learnedhand41

Truant

Seems like people wanting to use the Expert aiming mode are actually using Normal because it feels better. Or am I just imagining things?

ascully said:

So basically they don't want you to be able to use it on Alan Wake while it's on sale, nice.

DarkKyo

I have an extra golden guns code, looking to trade for someone's warhorse or deadly assassin outfit code.. PM if interested.

(360)

Gor@n

Neo Member
Picked up game today...had to fight myself to put it down, anyone got tips on dueling? I kinda forgot what was mentioned in the tut, but from what i gather u pull the right stick down and up to draw and paint ur targets with RT, but when i did that i died, either i was too slow or do i hafta press another button to confirm my shots?

Nista said:
The Buffalo rifle won't unlock until you do a bunch of the ambient hunting challenges.
It's well worth it, it's my favorite weapon for putting down the ninja boars, cougars and bears in one shot to the head.

spoiler something like that please. I was doing the hunting missions and wanted to be surprised with what unlocks. I'll get over it but please be conscientious.

Truant said:
Seems like people wanting to use the Expert aiming mode are actually using Normal because it feels better. Or am I just imagining things?

I played on expert for 10 + hours, tried normal for the hell of it and like it much better.

Gor@n said:
Picked up game today...had to fight myself to put it down, anyone got tips on dueling? I kinda forgot what was mentioned in the tut, but from what i gather u pull the right stick down and up to draw and paint ur targets with RT, but when i did that i died, either i was too slow or do i hafta press another button to confirm my shots?

The tutorial sucked anyway and was really vague, I'm over half way done with the game and I'm STILL not totally sure how it works, what I've gathered is you need to paint better spots then your opponent does (that you can't see) before time runs out.

owlbeak

Nista said:
Hmm did it go away if you quit game and rebooted from scratch? I wonder how I was avoiding this bug, since it seems so common. I must be playing multiplayer differently somehow. :lol
When we would create a new server, all would be well...for a bit, then our characters and horses would start disappearing. We tried switching who created the game and everything, didn't seem to matter.

I've got it installed to my HD, my friend does not and he was experiencing the same thing. We had like 8 guys on last night in our private server and we were all experiencing varying amounts of invisibility.

Top Bottom