• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Teknoman

The company told Kotaku that it looks forward to fix these problems quickly and notes to all Red Dead Gamers: "if you're having issues please email RDRSupportteam@rockstargames.com. We are also actively on the forums helping people with any questions they may have about the game. Thank you all for your support and we look forward to getting a fix out as quickly as soon as we can."

What forums?

Got to Nuevo Paraiso last night. Just happened to be night-time in the game. I have to hand it to the composers. The little musical number you get when first entering Nuevo Paraiso was absolutely perfect. Really left a lasting impression on me.

Side note, is anyone else having a hard time going the straight and narrow "good guy" path? I'm trying to behave myself as best I can in game. Haven't commited any crimes yet...until last night. I lost my entire wad in poker (4 Kings beats my boat)... I was so pissed that I promptly stood up and executed everyone in the saloon then reloaded my game. That little outburst has really made me feel like I'm missing out on a huge aspect of this game now. I'm thinking about starting over, but hesitant as I've spent a good 10+ hours on my current playthrough. With the honor system though, I doubt it would make much difference now if I suddenly went psycho on everyone I met.

tzare said:
how is the shooting/cover in the game? is it close to Uncharted ? Because i hated GTAIV shooting mechanics. I like what i see about the game but still not decided to buy it because of that.

It's really not like GTA at all. And honestly the game has so much going for it that even if it was more like GTA shooting you should still play it. Rent it at least to see if you like it.

But there are different levels of gunplay so it's kind of how you decide to make it.

taoofjord

Teknoman said:
The company told Kotaku that it looks forward to fix these problems quickly and notes to all Red Dead Gamers: "if you're having issues please email RDRSupportteam@rockstargames.com. We are also actively on the forums helping people with any questions they may have about the game. Thank you all for your support and we look forward to getting a fix out as quickly as soon as we can."

What forums?

I would like to know as well. I want to find a way to give them my list of tweaks... not because I think they'll listen, but because it will make me feel better. :p

what the hell, if you complete one of the required missions BEFORE entering the Deadly Assassin dlc code
American Appetites
, can you no longer get it to count towards unlocking it?

nuts.

GreekWolf

Is this a sick joke? How in the hell am I supposed to kill a Grizzly Bear with a knife?

I'd have better luck fighting Satan with a cuckoo clock.

dread9

Banned
flyinpiranha said:
It's really not like GTA at all. And honestly the game has so much going for it that even if it was more like GTA shooting you should still play it. Rent it at least to see if you like it.

But there are different levels of gunplay so it's kind of how you decide to make it.

The cover is much more improved from GTA, shooting a bit heavy and cover can mess up slightly, but otherwise a great experience.

OldJadedGamer said:
I'm running around last night and fell in a creek with water knee deep and I f'ing die.... seriously R*? Seriously???????
Yeah, I hate that they didn't advertise that beforehand. Felt like I was playing that old computer game, Infiltrator, but there wasn't any text belatedly informing me that John never learned to swim. What a crazy thing to forget to tell players in a game that encourages exploration and experimentation.

Zeliard

Tr4nce said:
Ingame settings: Contrast and Saturation: 2 steps up .

I swear, the game looks much softer now! Way better!

I also did that with my Samsung. Had done the same exact thing with GTAIV too. Contrast and Saturation up 2 notches. The colors are far more vibrant, but not too saturated. You'll probably have to experiment with your own TV to find that right balance, but the default picture in these games does seem to have too little saturation. I switched RDR back to the default settings after playing with contrast and saturation up a bit, just to see, and the difference was almost night and day.

GreekWolf said:
Is this a sick joke? How in the hell am I supposed to kill a Grizzly Bear with a knife?
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
Hahahah I just imaged how you said that to yourself HILARIOUS FOR ME hahahhahah
Its hard but I think its doable if you have enough health I guess?

stump sock said:
what the hell, if you complete one of the required missions BEFORE entering the Deadly Assassin dlc code
American Appetites
, can you no longer get it to count towards unlocking it?

nuts.

I have a feeling I waited too long for that one and I'll run into it again. I entered the code then did that mission but it's still unchecked, but it doesn't say "Complete" it says "Inactive". I have a feeling there's...things to be done....

Nahmean?

Also, CAN I SELL MY TREASURE GOLD? Or do I need to keep it to complete a challenge or some shit?

JoeBoy101

Zeliard said:
I also did that with my Samsung. Had done the same exact thing with GTAIV too. Contrast and Saturation up 2 notches. The colors are far more vibrant, but not too saturated. You'll probably have to experiment with your own TV to find that right balance, but the default picture in these games does seem to have too little saturation. I switched RDR back to the default settings after playing with contrast and saturation up a bit, just to see, and the difference was almost night and day.

Confirmed. Even after playing for my settings on my Samsung for an hour, just two steps up on Contrast and Saturation in game caused the colors to really come alive. Highly recommended.

owlbeak

Anyone having issues linking their gamertag to their Social Club account via the website? Worked for my PS3 account by when I try to link my Live account it says "Platform ID Not specified". >:[

I linked the account a while ago, not sure why I have to do it again.

So I called up the store and they said they had in a few 360 copies. I go there in the heat of the summer (walk), and then when I get there, they realise they weren't actually retail copies by display cases.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Horsebite said:
Anyone having issues linking their gamertag to their Social Club account via the website? Worked for my PS3 account by when I try to link my Live account it says "Platform ID Not specified". >:[

I linked the account a while ago, not sure why I have to do it again.

It's issues with the social club servers I bet... Just wait a day or 2

JoeBoy101

GreekWolf said:

Could be worse.

25458_ninjabear.jpg

Mihos

Gold Member
I broke down and got this game. I was going to skip it since I am not big on Westerns and I never finished GTA4.

I am so glad I did. This game is fricken incredible.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Rebel Leader said:
I killed bears with a knife .. whimp

I was imagining it'd be like the end of Avatar, just have to summon that kind of mentality... I haven't even seen a bear yet though.

Ok what's the deal with not even allowing SAVING when using cheats? That's fucking bullshit. I can understand the trophy ordeal but to not be able to save? What do they care if I use some of the cheats, which IMO, should be available from the start. And by this I mean,
reverting to Dead-Eye Level 2, and the "Old School" Sepia filter.

DMeisterJ

Banned
This is like my third time asking this question, but does anyone know how to make the scrap 3 mission for the Deadly Assassin outfit come up? I can't find the guy I have to kill/capture D:

levious

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Ok what's the deal with not even allowing SAVING when using cheats? That's fucking bullshit. I can understand the trophy ordeal but to not be able to save? What do they care if I use some of the cheats, which IMO, should be available from the start. And by this I mean,
reverting to Dead-Eye Level 2, and the "Old School" Sepia filter.

it's been like that in all GTAs I think... but I'm sure it's similar reasoning as trophies, since it'd screw up the 100% leaderboards... but yeah, sepia shouldn't carry that penalty.

JoeBoy101

LegendOfGood said:
Pardon my ignorance. Have not been following the news on this game. Are there plans to release a demo?

Nope. And they likely won't.

But don't worry. Unless the GTA-style mission structure type of game really puts you off, you'll probably really like this.

levious said:
it's been like that in all GTAs I think... but I'm sure it's similar reasoning as trophies, since it'd screw up the 100% leaderboards... but yeah, sepia shouldn't carry that penalty.

Yea I can see the leaderboard argument without a doubt. However, I'm pretty sure that even in 4 you were able to save with cheats enabled. Some cheats, after enabled, could not be reversed unless you loaded an earlier save.

owlbeak

For those trying to kill a bear with a knife - here's how I managed it after many unsuccessful attemtps...

Get a friend and go to Bear Claw Camp, a little North of Manzanita Post in Tall Trees. You'll run into bears, have your friend start kiting one around while you run behind the bear and keep stabbing it with the knife. The bear should keep its attention focused on who he is chasing and not turn around. After a few swipes, the bear will be injured and start running away from you. Chase him and cut him down.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Wow I thought for sure that the voice actor for John Marston and Johnny Klebitz (from GTAIV) were the same person, but according to IMDB they aren't! They sound so similar...

Zeliard

People who are getting their horses killed by bears and cougars, does that happen when you're on the horse, or when you're off it? I'm just wondering if the animals will go after your horse independently of you, or if your horse gets mauled only because they're going after you and you're sitting on top of it.

Zefah said:
Wow I thought for sure that the voice actor for John Marston and Johnny Klebitz (from GTAIV) were the same person, but according to IMDB they aren't! They sound so similar...

I thought it was too. They sound very much alike. They might be the same guy, btw - IMDB is notoriously unreliable when it comes to these things, because anybody can add that info in.

Zeliard said:
I thought it was too. They sound very much alike. They might be the same guy, btw - IMDB is notoriously unreliable when it comes to these things, because anybody can add that info in.

does it not say in the back of the game manual who does the voice?

Has anyone done the Lights Camera Action stranger mission? I can't seem to find the guy in Thieves Landing. He seems to be on the second floor of the Saloon, but there's no way to get up there. <_<

Im getting a bit mixed up with wolfs and coyotes while on my horse, whats specifically different about these two, are wolfs slightly bigger?

Gravijah

What the hell do you do for the first treasure map at
hanging rock? I know it's there, I just can't figure out where, I've been everywhere around it but I still haven't found it.

dreamer3kx said:
Im getting a bit mixed up with wolfs and coyotes while on my horse, whats specifically different about these two, are wolfs slightly bigger?

Coyotes yelp a lot, they sound different.

Zeliard said:
People who are getting their horses killed by bears and cougars, does that happen when you're on the horse, or when you're off it? I'm just wondering if the animals will go after your horse independently of you, or if your horse gets mauled only because they're going after you and you're sitting on top of it.
It can happen either way, as I've lost them in both situations. I've had packs of wolves take out my horse who was idling nearby, and I've had bobcats assassinate him while I was in the saddle navigating hilly terrain.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
DMeisterJ said:
This is like my third time asking this question, but does anyone know how to make the scrap 3 mission for the Deadly Assassin outfit come up? I can't find the guy I have to kill/capture D:

Seems like that part of the game is bugged for half the people who got it. Won't show up for me either, while I've read others saying that Mo was their first or second bounty.

Zeliard

MightyHedgehog said:
It can happen either way, as I've lost them in both situations. I've had packs of wolves take out my horse who was idling nearby, and I've had bobcats assassinate him while I was in the saddle navigating hilly terrain.

Ouch. I still haven't encountered predators yet. I've been riding an awesome black horse that I found early on. We've formed a pretty tight bond, he and I. I dread what's to come.

twisteddeeds said:
does it not say in the back of the game manual who does the voice?

Probably, but I never looked at the manual. So few are worth doing so these days.

levious

Gravijah said:
What the hell do you do for the first treasure map at
hanging rock? I know it's there, I just can't figure out where, I've been everywhere around it but I still haven't found it.

Coyotes yelp a lot, they sound different.

and the wolves howl, and are pretty much gray

Started it last night, loving it so far.

I have a question about honor/fame. Generally when I play games that let me make good/evil choices like Mass Effect and Fable I enjoy creating the most flat-out evil character possible. Am I going to have a hard time if I decide to go that route in this game?

Also, on another board I heard that Five Finger Fillet is the easiest way to make money. I haven't tried it yet, is there some trick to it that I should know about?

Gravijah

levious said:
and the wolves howl, and are pretty much gray

And they make vicious barks when they come at you, which scared the shit out of me last night.

Gary Whitta said:

I have a question about honor/fame. Generally when I play games that let me make good/evil choices like Mass Effect and Fable I enjoy creating the most flat-out evil character possible. Am I going to have a hard time if I decide to go that route in this game?

Also, on another board I heard that Five Finger Fillet is the easiest way to make money. I haven't tried it yet, is there some trick to it that I should know about?

Shouldn't be that hard to make an evil person. And no tricks to five finger fillet, it's just a rhythm kinda game.

Scopitone

Neo Member
OK - question about Golden Guns. I applied mine and it turned my two crap starter weapons to gold but now every subsequent weapon I pick up is just normal. Is there a way to re-apply it every time like when I re-summon my War Horse?

Or am I screwed?

Meier

Played last night for about an hour or so and really enjoyed it. Lost the race with Ms. B. due to hitting a too much and getting bucked off. I was fairly surprised there was no AI assistance.. I was flying the rest of the way and never came close to catching up.

My only real complaint is that when you free aim, it feels like its very, very slow to move your cursor around. Oh well, I'm sure I'll get used to it.

kaskade

Gary Whitta said:

As far as I can tell most of the moral choices come from just killing random people. One side mission was (minor spoiler for some people maybe)
I needed the deed for a house so I could either pay the guy 200 bucks(pretty expensive in the game) or just kill the old guy. I killed him.
I don't really notice too many good/evil things though. Nothing like Mass Effect.

Gravijah said:
And they make vicious barks when they come at you, which scared the shit out of me last night.

Shouldn't be that hard to make an evil person. And no tricks to five finger fillet, it's just a rhythm kinda game.
Yeah it doesn't seem hard to BE evil, I just wondered if it makes the game harder to play in terms of bounties on your head, not being able to do stranger quests etc.

Top Bottom