• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

daddynorcal

Neo Member
sazabirules said:
Is there any strategy to collecting the plants besides just roaming around aimlessly? I need 2 more Desert Sage and I was looking all over Gaptooth Ridge for them.

Purchasing a Survivalist map in one of the General Stores will help you see the herbs.

R* Support

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Gary Whitta said:
Last night some bad guys were chasing me through the badlands and shooting at me and I hadn't quite figured out the aim-while-riding mechanic yet so as the guy rode alongside me to shoot me, I took a shot at him and accidentally shot his horse in the head. And it worked! Why haven't I ever seen that in a western?

don't know about the real wild west, but in movies for the most part, shooting a man's horse was like shooting someone in the back.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I think this is the first Rockstar game this generation I've liked. It's amazing. They've finally built San Andreas 2 in terms of scope, density, and things to do. Superb horse riding and capturing, beautiful vistas, and characters with personality instead of angst. Love it.

alot of complaints about the horse controls.

the horse controls actually feels natural. kinda like riding a real horse if you rode a horse before. hitting A hits the horse with the stirrups and left of right for directions. LB for stop.

Zeliard

Gary Whitta said:
Last night some bad guys were chasing me through the badlands and shooting at me and I hadn't quite figured out the aim-while-riding mechanic yet so as the guy rode alongside me to shoot me, I took a shot at him and accidentally shot his horse in the head. And it worked! Why haven't I ever seen that in a western?

Despite my preference for playing evil, I wanted to limit shooting horses in this game, but it's such an effective strategy. :lol

Got a bandit on your ass, shooting you in the back with a rifle? Shoot his horse, problem solved (it's so great when a bandit just goes flying after his horse comes to a sudden stop). In fact, I wonder why they never seem to go for your horse.

The only time I had my horse get shot so far, it was by one of those fucking guys who challenges you to sharpshooting. At least I'm almost certain it was him, since nobody else was around and it came from his exact direction. I was just trotting along when out of nowhere, I hear a gunshot and then my horse just slumps forward and hits the dirt face-first, and abruptly due to the forward momentum. I was completely taken aback.

Naturally, there was only one thing I could do in revenge, and that was to shoot the guy in each leg to cripple him, and then shoot him in the back of the head while he was on his knees. Fucker thinks he can shoot MY horse?

Sorry if old.

Pachter: 'I was wrong about Red Dead'
Thursday 20-May-2010 11:44 AM Rockstar was "right all along" that Western would sell, says analyst

Respected industry analyst, Michael Pachter has admitted that he was wrong to be sceptical over Rockstar's stellar western, Red Dead Redemption.

Speaking to CVG this morning, the Wedbush Securities man succeeded that Rockstar was right to puts its trust in a Western game.

"I suppose we should call them visionaries," Pachter told CVG. "I have been sceptical [for] a long time, but they always believed that a Western, if done well, would sell well. It looks like they were right all along. Nobody can doubt that they made a great game."

The industry Nostradamus even hopes he'll receive a copy, though admitted that the chances of Rockstar sending him one are slim: "Maybe after that comment, they'll finally send me a copy; they haven't sent me any games since I doubted whether Bully would sell well," he joked.

You can have one of ours, Michael.
:lol @ Bully comment.

daddynorcal

Neo Member
Dead said:
Has anyone been able to redeem their pre-order codes? Every time I try to, it says it cant connect to the Rockstar code server or whatever

We apologize that some people are having trouble redeeming codes. We're aware of the issue and are working to resolve it as soon as possible. Some of the affected have been successful after trying several times. If not, we suggest trying again later today.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
btw this is a dumb question, but I assume that when you get a new horse, you need to hitch it and save in order for it to become your main horse. Correct?

Beaulieu

UrbanRats said:
So for those who've played it, after a few days, what are the major Cons of the game?

Similar complaints that were given toward GTA 4

Long ass horse rides to get to your mission, with the character only talking. At least in GTA you could ride different vechiles to get to your mission, now it's only horse, all the time.

The main story missions are really a let down, and, in my opinion, the story isnt going fast enough
really ? I had to help that one guy like 12 times before we could attack the fort?

All the side tasks and strangers missions are pretty cool though.

Wiggum2007

Is there any way to like set your horse on cruise control? Fighting on horseback is a pain in the ass, I have to control my direction with the left stick, and with my other thumb go back and forth between aiming with the right stick and tapping A to stop my horse from coming to a stop in the middle of the fight. Most fights I end up so focused on aiming that before I know it my horse is at a dead stop.

Seems like it would be much easier if they just used the left stick to control your horses speed, pushing all the way up on it would be the full run, while tapping A would just be reserved for the stamina-draining sprint.

Wiggum2007 said:
Is there any way to like set your horse on cruise control? Fighting on horseback is a pain in the ass, I have to control my direction with the left stick, and with my other thumb go back and forth between aiming with the right stick and tapping A to stop my horse from coming to a stop in the middle of the fight. Most fights I end up so focused on aiming that before I know it my horse is at a dead stop.
This is my main complaint too, it's like trying to pat your head and rub your stomach at the same time.

Filldough

Zeliard said:
Despite my preference for playing evil, I wanted to limit shooting horses in this game, but it's such an effective strategy. :lol

Got a bandit on your ass, shooting you in the back with a rifle? Shoot his horse, problem solved (it's so great when a bandit just goes flying after his horse comes to a sudden stop). In fact, I wonder why they never seem to go for your horse.

The only time I had my horse get shot so far, it was by one of those fucking guys who challenges you to sharpshooting. At least I'm almost certain it was him, since nobody else was around and it came from his exact direction. I was just trotting along when out of nowhere, I hear a gunshot and then my horse just slumps forward and hits the dirt face-first, and abruptly due to the forward momentum. I was completely taken aback.

Naturally, there was only one thing I could do in revenge, and that was to shoot the guy in each leg to cripple him, and then shoot him in the back of the head while he was on his knees. Fucker thinks he can shoot MY horse?

I always feel bad about killing the horses for some reason... I like playing evil but I think horse killers probably have a special place in hell. Yesterday I was playing a mission and some guy on a horse is shooting at me from a bridge. I'm riding on a stagecoach about to go under the bridge, I aim up shoot and hit the horse! Its bucks the rider off its back, off the bridge, he falls to his death right in front of me. So hilariously awesome.

Gravijah

Filldough said:
I always feel bad about killing the horses for some reason... I like playing evil but I think horse killers probably have a special place in hell. Yesterday I was playing a mission and some guy on a horse is shooting at me from a bridge. I'm riding on a stagecoach about to go under the bridge, I aim up shoot and hit the horse! Its bucks the rider off its back, off the bridge, he falls to his death right in front of me. So hilariously awesome.

So I guess you'd hate me for hunting wild horses for meat/skin, huh?

Rikyfree

daddynorcal said:
We apologize that some people are having trouble redeeming codes. We're aware of the issue and are working to resolve it as soon as possible. Some of the affected have been successful after trying several times. If not, we suggest trying again later today.
Any story on getting the one mission for the deadly assassin outfit, you know, killing Mo Van Barr. I cannot seem to get him on a wanted poster no matter what and I don't know what to do.

JoeBoy101

Gary Whitta said:
This is my main complaint too, it's like trying to pat your head and rub your stomach at the same time.

I stopped trying to play it like I was a turret on the horse, and instead, like I was dogfighting. Maneuvering my horse so that anything I was shooting at was in my front 90 degree arc. If to the sides or back, I find it more advantageous to hit the gas (spurs) and get some distance and turn to present a fast moving, harder to hit target. Plus, if I REALLY need to hit from the horse on the sides or back (i.e, trying to save someone's life or a mission), I use Dead Eye.

Gravjah said:
So I guess you'd hate me for hunting wild horses for meat/skin, huh?

Shit son, not much money at all in that. Time's better spent hunting deer, armadillos, rabbits, coyotes, or almost anything else.

Zeliard

Filldough said:

:lol

Yeah, lots of moments like that. Countless ones, really. Everytime I get into a gunfight in this game, something awesomely cinematic happens. Euphoria does its job well.

Btw, people who have trouble aiming off horseback, just use Dead Eye more. It's probably mostly meant for times like that. I personally kept forgetting about that mechanic for the first few hours.

JoeBoy101 said:
I stopped trying to play it like I was a turret on the horse, and instead, like I was dogfighting. Maneuvering my horse so that anything I was shooting at was in my front 90 degree arc. If to the sides or back, I find it more advantageous to hit the gas (spurs) and get some distance and turn to present a fast moving, harder to hit target. Plus, if I REALLY need to hit from the horse on the sides or back, I use Dead Eye.
That's a good idea, I should try that.

Wiggum2007

JoeBoy101 said:
I stopped trying to play it like I was a turret on the horse, and instead, like I was dogfighting. Maneuvering my horse so that anything I was shooting at was in my front 90 degree arc. If to the sides or back, I find it more advantageous to hit the gas (spurs) and get some distance and turn to present a fast moving, harder to hit target. Plus, if I REALLY need to hit from the horse on the sides or back, I use Dead Eye.

Seems like it would be so much simpler if however far you pressed the left analog controlled how fast the horse ran, with pressing fully on the stick being full run speed (like any other non-Rockstar game that uses left analog stick for movement), and tapping A just being the extra stamina-reducing sprint.

Tr4nce said:
Ok, I'm too busy playing the game, since i just got it (PAL folk here), but I managed to change the settings on my TV a little, so that the game looks a bit softer, and better.

I have a samsung HDTV, and here is my settings:

E-mode: Off

P-mode: Movie

Contrast on the TV: highest

Lumination on the TV: highest

Ingame settings: Contrast and Saturation: 2 steps up .

I swear, the game looks much softer now! Way better!

Thank you for the suggestion. It does make the game look better and probably how R* wanted people to see the game.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Gravijah said:
20 hours and only 15% done. My God.

That.... just... isn't ..... possible

shocked_lol-1.gif

Teknoman said:
Draw with normal aiming button, press shoot to confirm targeted spots. Guy with the highest meter wins. For more accurate/ better shots, wait till the crosshair turns white, then press shoot.
Really? I've won all my duels by just shooting the gun out of the guys hand. His meter was practically full and mine had nothing in it.

JoeBoy101

Gary Whitta said:
That's a good idea, I should try that.

At the very least, it'll lower the number of times you might go over a cliff. And I have come, squirt-inducingly close to that a few times. Probably wouldn't have been so scary if the game didn't have such a sense of scale.

Had to explain to my wife why I had to yell, "WHOAAAA!!!" at that particular time to scare the shit out of her.

Zeliard

JoeBoy101 said:
Shit son, not much money at all in that. Time's better spent hunting deer, armadillos, rabbits, coyotes, or almost anything else.

Yeah, it's pointless hunting horses. You get barely any money for the time it takes to skin them.

Best to hunt humans, the most dangerous animal.

Teknoman

JudgeN said:
Thinking about picking this up, is multiplayer borked on PS3?

Not all the time. A couple of days ago it was perfect for the most part. Last night, people started getting disconnects all over.

UrbanRats

Beaulieu said:
Similar complaints that were given toward GTA 4

Long ass horse rides to get to your mission, with the character only talking. At least in GTA you could ride different vechiles to get to your mission, now it's only horse, all the time.

The main story missions are really a let down, and, in my opinion, the story isnt going fast enough
really ? I had to help that one guy like 12 times before we could attack the fort?

All the side tasks and strangers missions are pretty cool though.
Thanks. :p

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Hellsing321 said:
Really? I've won all my duels by just shooting the gun out of the guys hand. His meter was practically full and mine had nothing in it.

thanks for the confirmation, I assumed this was possible since there's a stat for "duels won by disarm" and I would have hated to have to unload my gun after disarming on the first shot.

daddynorcal

Neo Member
Gor@n said:
Picked up game today...had to fight myself to put it down, anyone got tips on dueling? I kinda forgot what was mentioned in the tut, but from what i gather u pull the right stick down and up to draw and paint ur targets with RT, but when i did that i died, either i was too slow or do i hafta press another button to confirm my shots?

At the start of every duel you should have the option to review the dueling tutorial text but here are a few additional tips for coming out on top in a duel:

1). Wait for your opponent to go for their weapon first. Drawing your weapon too early will cause you to fill the meter on the side of the screen more slowly

2). Draw your weapon by either flicking up then down on the Right Analog stick or by pressing the Left Trigger/L2

3). Place your shots carefully and quickly using RB/R1

4). It's also possible to end a duel in 1 shot by targeting your opponents gun hand.

R* Support

The music that plays when first riding your horse in mexico is fuckin incredible, just one question can I go back to new austin and finish off some of the bountys and stranger missions? Or am I stuck in mexico for the time being?

DukeSucks

Red Blaster said:
I'm kind of surprised to hear how you guys are accidentally getting your horse killed. I've hit the northeast territory and I'm still using the stallion that I tamed way back in the beginning of the game.

I still have my first one too, but I'm not that far along. I rolled up on some ranch and got on a sweet looking black one, but when I looked back at my other horse standing there looking at me all sad, I couldn't go through with the switch :D

Zeliard

daddynorcal said:
At the start of every duel you should have the option to review the dueling tutorial text but here are a few additional tips for coming out on top in a duel:

1). Wait for your opponent to go for their weapon first. Drawing your weapon too early will cause you to fill the meter on the side of the screen more slowly

2). Draw your weapon by either flicking up then down on the Right Analog stick or by pressing the Left Trigger/L2

4). It's also possible to end a duel in 1 shot by targeting your opponents gun hand.

R* Support

Are you able to win any duels simply by aiming a single shot at your opponent's head at the right time? I'm wondering if they always have to be bombarded by bullets for you to win w/o disarming them.

Y2Kev said:
I think this is the first Rockstar game this generation I've liked. It's amazing. They've finally built San Andreas 2 in terms of scope, density, and things to do. Superb horse riding and capturing, beautiful vistas, and characters with personality instead of angst. Love it.

I second that notion.

daddynorcal

Neo Member
Plissken said:
Loving the game so far, but one thing has been bugging me. I got my first Treasure Map, and it really looks like it is right near Hanging Rock in New Austin, but for the life of me I cannot find the spot. Is there some sort of sound or mark I need to listen/look for? Or do I need to progress and get a shovel or something? I just rescued
the snake oil merchant
, am I not far enough into the story to properly treasure hunt?

You do not need a shovel. When you come across a spot that may contain treasure you will get a prompt to "Inspect".

R* Support

Drahcir

levious said:
don't know about the real wild west, but in movies for the most part, shooting a man's horse was like shooting someone in the back.

That should be an unwritten code of some kind. So far, I have never shot at a bandit's horse to take him down. Well, not intentionally. It's funny because nothing pisses me off more than when I'm in a shootout and my horse gets in the way taking hits. I'd run out of the way to draw their fire away from my horse even though it gets me killed. :lol

daddynorcal said:

R* Support

Just as an aside.

Your presence here is great.

Baker

Banned
Zeliard said:
Are you able to win any duels simply by aiming a single shot at your opponent's head at the right time? I'm wondering if they always have to be bombarded by bullets for you to win w/o disarming them.
Same here. It seems like there should be an "ok I'm ready" button just to release the shots you have queued.

JoeBoy101

daddynorcal said:

R* Support

I am virtually positive you CANNOT review the text before, but I will look for it again beforehand. Thank you for this tremendously. Also, another poster commented to paint hits when the crosshairs turn white on the body. Does that matter?

Top Bottom