• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Hank The Tank

Neo Member
JetBlackPanda said:
so it was a story element? that is kind of what I was wondering about, if it was a glitch or something in the story that soured you.

best to keep it to yourself then :D

Storywise it was fine, perhaps a bit weirdly paced. But what got to me was what you had to do to progress, it was a god damn chore. It is very possible that other people will enjoy a whole lot more than I did and I hope so, because apart from that the game was ace. :D

Post like this from another forum are why this game is awesome.

I was riding my horse into Armadillo when a barely-dressed whore on the side of the road caught my eye.

"Hey mister! Couldja gimmie a ride, I'm stranded!"

Now, I'm not one to go pulling the reins for every little desert flower I come across, but I had recently run into a woman named Jenny who had nearly died from exposure. I decided to pull up and offer the young lady a ride.

Before I knew what had happened, the whore was speeding away with my horse. She looked over her shoulder with a smile and a wave.

"Mister, you're greener than you look!"

I struggled to come up with an appropriate course of action. I drew my Winchester Repeater and got a bead on her. Horse thief or no, I didn't want to shoot an unarmed woman in the back, especially not with the road (and possible witnesses!) so close by. I put my rifle away. Then it struck me.

I whistled for my horse. Good old golden bucked her right off and came runnin' right to me. Time for a little justice.

We rode her down as she stumbled through the cactus patches. Got my lasso around her and hogtied her right then and there. Put her on the back of the horse she tried to run off with and rode off into the desert night. Waited until I heard some coyotes howling at the moon and dismounted, left her alone in the middle of an open patch of sand. Then I rode up to a rock and watched the coyotes descend upon that helpless little wench.

Steal my horse, will ya?

daddynorcal

Neo Member
Hi-tekk said:
daddynorcal,

i bought the Rio Bravo map from one of the stores. It seems like it was a waste of money. What advantages are there to buying maps such as these? Because currently, there doesn't seem to be any.

Area maps like this will give you the town names on the map for that area and an increase in game percentage that you would otherwise only get by traveling there.

R* Support

daddynorcal

Neo Member
ShockingAlberto said:
When do bounties show up? I've only been able to do one in McFarlane's Ranch and one in Armadillo and another one has never shown up.

If you remain in the area for a good amount of time (i.e. half a game day) you should see someone posting another bounty.

R* Support

Denzar

Do you need a lasso to capture boutnies alive?

I hunted one dude down, shot him in the legs. He was still alive, shooting, but unable to move... I came close, but no button prompt showed up. Then I shot him in the shoulder and he died... No extra cash for that bounty...

Also, after that, the rest of his gang/posse was attacking me... I was hidden behind a small ledge and the guys on horses jumped off the ledge and crashed into the ground, killing themselves and the horses. Sad and cool...

JoeBoy101

Deepack said:

I hunted one dude down, shot him in the legs. He was still alive, shooting, but unable to move... I came close, but no button prompt showed up. Then I shot him in the shoulder and he died... No extra cash for that bounty...

Also, after that, the rest of his gang/posse was attacking me... I was hidden behind a small ledge and the guys on horses jumped of the ledge and crashed into the ground, killing themselves and the horses. Sad and cool...

Yes, you need the lasso. Finish the Bonnie missions.

Hi-tekk

Neo Member
daddynorcal said:
Area maps like this will give you the town names on the map for that area and an increase in game percentage that you would otherwise only get by traveling there.

R* Support

Thanks appreciate it.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
daddynorcal said:
If you remain in the area for a good amount of time (i.e. half a game day) you should see someone posting another bounty.

R* Support

I don't know if this is a widespread thing or just a random bug, but one time I was standing by where the bounties are posted in Armadillo, saw the sheriff walk up to the wall and make the "nailing a poster to the wall" animation, but no poster was there. Had to reload the game and stay clear of him for a bounty to be posted. Odd.

yencid

Deepack said:

Also, after that, the rest of his gang/posse was attacking me... I was hidden behind a small ledge and the guys on horses jumped of the ledge and crashed into the ground, killing themselves and the horses. Sad and cool...
YUSH you need a lasso, shoot their legs to make it easier and then lasso em.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
KooPaL said:
Hey guys! I know this was answered before but I couldn't find the post anymore so just going to ask it again... how does adding the Red Dead Gaf gamertag help me find all you other GAFers who are currently playing RDR?

add the gamertag: GAF Read Dead

NG28

I was running along a cliff side yesterday looking for some rabbits or deer to shoot when all of the sudden I see a boar charge me from the side of the screen. The damn thing launched me 4ft up in the air and off the cliff side :lol

During duels you can shoot the gun out of the enemy's hand to disarm them. I think this gets you bigger honor/fame gains than just killing them but I'm not sure. Only did it once, by accident. The guy died anyway (it was one shot out of 6), but something flashed on the screen when I did it.

And you can win a duel with just one shot, I know from experience if you put just one marker on their head that can do it. To be honest i'm not really sure all the intricacies of dueling yet, though. Have no clue what that meter in the bottom right means.

Denzar

Thanks, Joeboy, Zeliard and Yencid.

I have the lasso now, but not at the time of my first bounty.

I love how choices in this game are irrevocable.

Spoiler about stronghold mission.
I was helping an old guy save his daughter from Waltons gang. Everything went smoothly, until I entered the building where they were holding her. I was aiming for the guy that held the daughter hostage his head, but I missed... Then he blew his load of shotgun pallets into her torso...

Oh, and skinned animals are GROSS.

Zeliard

This game can be quite amusing. I laughed pretty hard when I was chasing this one cowboy who's buddy I had just killed, and I saw him on his horse some distance away, and then he suddenly disappeared. I thought at first it might be something with the draw distance, but when I went up to where he was, I realized that he had just sailed right off a cliff.

Aesius

I seem to have a bug that won't allow me to do any bounty missions.

I did one yesterday, and when I went to hogtie the guy he glitched into a frozen standing animation. I hogtied an invisible body on the ground (where he was originally laying), and picked it up, but I couldn't place it on my horse. Reloaded my last save and the wanted poster was gone, and now, several hours of play later, there are still no wanted posters anywhere in the world. Fuck.

owlbeak

dreamer3kx said:
Wow, so what can be done here, can you contact R* support?
I've emailed them...not holding out much hope, though.

What's weird is on Tuesday I brought it home and loaded SP just fine played to the fort, saved, and went into free roam. Today is the first time since then I've tried Single Player and it just sits here. I uninstalled it from my HD, deleted my save game, reinstalled it, cleared my cache, rebooted, etc. No dice. Multiplayer works flawlessly, except for the invisible stuff going on.

Stitch

Gold Member
dreamer3kx said:
ps3 version? I have the 360 version and its perfect, turn up the brightness in the options.
no, 360 version. but yeah, i played around with brigthness and contrast and it's better now.

btw do i get the lasso during a mission? I'm playing for hours now and still don't have one :lol

Denzar

Stitch said:
no, 360 version. but yeah, i played around with brigthness and contrast and it's better now.

btw do i get the lasso during a mission? I'm playing for hours now and still don't have one :lol
Yeah, one of Bonnies missions.

KooPaL

I added the Gamertag already but it doesn't appear yet on my friends list so I assume that I haven't been approved yet right?

Gravijah

KooPaL said:
I added the Gamertag already but it doesn't appear yet on my friends list so I assume that I haven't been approved yet right?

Yeah, wait for whoever is managing it to get on. Shouldn't take too long.

dread9

Banned
Why is it that whenever I go sit down and join some people talking by a campfire that when I get up to leave they start shooting me?

Rebel Leader

Stitch said:
thanks. so less hunting, more bonnie missions :D

Which reminds me... I tied a woman up and what I believe she said... "what are you going to do with me?" *in a sexy kind of voice*

:lol

Barrett2

If you lasso or shoot someone in the desert, how likely are you to get a bounty? I just barely started messing around with *evil* Marsden behavior, and each time i did something I almost instantly had a bounty. What gives?

Rebel Leader

dread9 said:
Why is it that whenever I go sit down and join some people talking by a campfire that when I get up to leave they start shooting me?

Cause I paid them do to so.... $20 goes around alot :D

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
lawblob said:
If you lasso or shoot someone in the desert, how likely are you to get a bounty? I just barely started messing around with *evil* Marsden behavior, and each time i did something I almost instantly had a bounty. What gives?

offline or free roam?

Gravijah

I've felt really guilty since last night. I was messing around
on the mission where you have to buy the house... I bought it from him, then I got curious if he'd have the money on him. I killed him, and he did. Then I took the deed to the person and he noticed blood on it, and said the persons son is going to be after me.

Stitch said:

Yeah you get it on one of the Bonnie Missions at Macfarlane Ranch.

The game doesn't do a really good job at explaining this but those missions are pretty much the tutorial and should be done first until they stop appearing. You're not required to do this of course, but you get the lasso, a really good horse (the one that costs $1500 in the store), plus learn how to do most of the side-mission stuff.

-Mikey-

Not sure if this has been posted or if anyone cares but if you're looking to get fast xp in multiplayer it's best to clear gang hideouts in free roam.

I think there is an achievement for clearing all of them out in one session and I lost connection with only 2 left. :(

Drahcir

Gary Whitta said:
Post like this from another forum are why this game is awesome.

Had the same thing happen to me except it was a man who asked for a ride. He did the exact same thing and threw me off my horse, said something about me being gullible, and rode off. I didn't know or think of whistling for my horse! Good to know that works! Instead, I pulled out my pistol, aimed, and shot him in the back. He fell off my horse. I get back on and went on my way.

This made me think. Are there any stranded pedestrians asking for rides who won't try to rob your horse? I wonder. I hope so. I hope someone can find out and report!

And will it ever get old to say again that this game is awesome? :D

Gravijah

The random events in this game can be ridiculous sometimes, which I love. I was up north in the snowy mountain area when
two cops run by me, in a storm, chasing a criminal
... I was really confused.

taoofjord

For the gamer who wants a more immersive, challenging experience... follow these rules when playing single player (I also find the game more fun this way):

1) Don't whistle for your horse unless it's nearby.

2) Don't whistle for a new horse after yours dies. And then only do it again after you have hitched a new one.

3) When not doing a mission, use horse sprint sparingly (since some mission require you to use your horse's sprint completely).

4) Only fast travel with camping when you have a horse.

daddynorcal

Neo Member
IMACOMPUTA said:
So, i tried to create a ghost town, but everyone just keeps respawning.
:(

You are able to turn smaller settlements like Rathskeller Fork into ghost towns by killing all the inhabitants. Larger towns like Armadillo will always retain some people.

R* Support

yencid

i dont fast travel...

daddynorcal said:
You are able to turn smaller settlements like Rathskeller Fork into ghost towns by killing all the inhabitants. Larger towns like Armadillo will always retain some people.

R* Support

god you are awesome!

Top Bottom