• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

JoeBoy101

taoofjord said:
For the gamer who wants a more immersive, challenging experience... follow these rules when playing single player (I also find the game more fun this way):

1) Don't whistle for your horse unless it's nearby.

2) Don't whistle for a new horse after yours dies. And then only do it again after you have hitched a new one.

3) When not doing a mission, use horse sprint sparingly (since some mission require you to use your horse's sprint completely).

4) REMOVED

Fixed. :D

Majicked said:
Quick question. Sorry if this has been asked before.

Is there any reason to keep animal skins or gold bars rather than sell them?

Not that I'm aware of. I certainly hope not for the gold bars, but am pretty certain the animal skins are just for selling.

Hi-tekk

Neo Member
daddynorcal,

quick question. On my PS3 if I delete my current RDR game save so I can start all over again from the beginning, will I lose my Deadly Assassin Outfit? Can I reenter the code a second time and have it unlocked again? Also does the same apply to my social club Gentleman's Outfit as well? Thanks in advance.

Magicked

Magicked said:

You might need some of the animal skin later for some side missions or other challenges when you finish your current set.

IMACOMPUTA

Weird thing happened to me...
I was carrying a bounty on my horse, when all of the sudden my horse died out of nowhere.. lol..
The bounty fell off, and then my framerate went to like 5 fps.. slooooowwwww moootttiiioon.
I had to kill some bandits, and when i picked the bounty up the framerate went back to normal.. haha.

I kind of like the non game-breaking glitches though, they keep things interesting.. LOL

Spurs_Fan

Neo Member
so i got 60 bucks to spend on any game, just wondering based on the positive vibe from this game if this should be one i should buy:D

Zeliard

lawblob said:
If you lasso or shoot someone in the desert, how likely are you to get a bounty? I just barely started messing around with *evil* Marsden behavior, and each time i did something I almost instantly had a bounty. What gives?

It mostly depends on who sees you. You can kill someone out in the desert, and if nobody sees you, there shouldn't any bounty consequences. I've done it many times, since I'm playing as Bad Marston. Sometimes you'll kill someone and then see someone else running off to go tell the authorities. If you don't stop them then you'll get a bounty on your head.

It can be inconsistent sometimes, though. One time I saw a woman about to get stabbed in town, and I shot the attacker in the head, and she thanked me and all was good (though some townspeople were panicking). That scenario then repeated itself later on, and when I shot the attacker that time, I got the authorities after me.

The funny thing is that I actually have a positive honor meter right now, even with all the despicable shit I've done, due to the story missions and some of the stranger quests giving you positive honor.

taoofjord said:
For the gamer who wants a more immersive, challenging experience... follow these rules when playing single player (I also find the game more fun this way):

2) Don't whistle for a new horse after yours dies. And then only do it again after you have hitched a new one.

3) When not doing a mission, use horse sprint sparingly (since some mission require you to use your horse's sprint completely).

4) Only fast travel with camping when you have a horse.

I wish this game had a hardcore mode that forced these sorts of rules.

I follow most of those just naturally. The horse I have now, I've had since close to the start of the game, and he's always hanging around me either way.

I also haven't fast traveled yet at all, as well as ignored the maps in the stores so I can explore everything myself. I'd like to say that I won't fast travel for the rest of the game, but realistically, once the entire world opens up I probably will to get across the real large distances.

see5harp

Not sure who is voicing the protagonist, but I kept hearing Bill Henrickson. Kudos to Rockstar for all of the great voice acting.

Pimpbaa

Spurs_Fan said:
so i got 60 bucks to spend on any game, just wondering based on the positive vibe from this game if this should be one i should buy:D

Yes of course. This is definitely a GOTY contender.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Zeliard said:
It can be inconsistent sometimes, though. One time I saw a woman about to get stabbed in town, and I shot the attacker in the head, and she thanked me and all was good (though some townspeople were panicking). That scenario then repeated itself later on, and when I shot the attacker that time, I got the authorities after me.

I've done that sequence a few times now, every time there was gang activity at the same time (why the people were panicking I think), probably just too much going on at once.

MMaRsu

Hey guys can anyone tell me how to get any other outfits? I really want the poncho and duster outfits!!!! Been playing like 5 hours right now gonna make some food but goddamn this game is fucking off the chain man. If Mafia II can beat this then this year is going to be fucking amazing. Oh what am I saying, it already is ( Darksiders, Bayonetta, Battlefield, Split/Second, Blur and so many others ).

MMaRsu said:
Hey guys can anyone tell me how to get any other outfits? I really want the poncho and duster outfits!!!! Been playing like 5 hours right now gonna make some food but goddamn this game is fucking off the chain man. If Mafia II can beat this then this year is going to be fucking amazing. Oh what am I saying, it already is ( Darksiders, Bayonetta, Battlefield, Split/Second, Blur and so many others ).

Poncho outfit is unlocked when you get to
Mexico
in the campain.

I really want to get a full 16 player party free roam later on the PS3 version, hopefully it doesn't crap out like last night.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
MMaRsu said:

I unlocked the Duster I think based on my Honor.

Helmholtz

So has there been any mention of a PC version? I'm considering buying it for the 360, but if it's coming to PC I'd rather play it on that.

Helmholtz said:
So has there been any mention of a PC version? I'm considering buying it for the 360, but if it's coming to PC I'd rather play it on that.

No mention yet, just buy it now and enjoy it other than waiting a year for a port.

MMaRsu

Helmholtz said:

There hasn't, and the studio hasn't made a pc game in years.

Kak.efes

What do you do with bandits, and would-be thieves after you've caught, and hogtied them? I figured you could bring them to the sheriff, but that option isn't available.

Gravijah

Kak.efes said:
What do you do with bandits, and would-be thieves after you've caught, and hogtied them? I figured you could bring them to the sheriff, but that option isn't available.

Toss them into water, in front of train tracks, in the middle of nowhere...

Zeliard

Kak.efes said:

You can only bring wanted bandits back to the sheriff, since they are being accused of something. Random bandits out in the wild may not necessarily be in trouble with the law. Don't think you can do anything with those guys except just kill them, or mess with them in other ways.

JoeBoy101

MMaRsu said:
Thanks..what about the dusters?

As the man said. Once you hit 50 or 100 honor (forget which) it unlocks. The
Bollard Twins Gang Outfit
is based on challenges originating at Bonnie's Ranch. It'll unlock naturally, but one surefire way to start is to to win a game of horseshoes (a requirement).

see5harp said:
Not sure who is voicing the protagonist, but I kept hearing Bill Henrickson. Kudos to Rockstar for all of the great voice acting.

You mean Bill Paxson? If so i guess that is where the 100 million went to. Nico feels cheated...

DarkKyo

Posted this earlier but I'd figure I'd check again: Got an extra code for the golden guns on 360.. anyone have one of the other dlc codes for 360 to trade? Thanks.

see5harp said:

OMFG I couldn't think of who he sounded like and yes... he's TOTALLY Bill Henrickson!!!

I don't understand why your multiplayer free roam character you choose isn't the character when you play public gang matches, why is it all preset characters? Does it really matter R*?

Lyonaz

Bought the game (PS3 version) today at Mediamarkt for 50 euros.

Can't really play the game until Monday when I get back from my weekend in Paris.

I did play a bit and auto-aim shooting animals and stuff was great, can't wait till I actually go hunt people!:D

JoeBoy101 said:
As the man said. Once you hit 50 or 100 honor (forget which) it unlocks. The
Bollard Twins Gang Outfit
is based on challenges originating at Bonnie's Ranch. It'll unlock naturally, but one surefire way to start is to to win a game of horseshoes (a requirement).
Speaking of, one of the requirements is to "search Thieve's Landing"

Which means...what, exactly?

ShockingAlberto said:

look for a small container holding some money there, should say you've searched the place soon after. Damn, hunting these cougars is so hard I hate it.

Gravijah

Mr_Guillotine said:
look for a small container holding some money there, should say you've searched the place soon after. Damn, hunting these cougars is so hard I hate it.

Should be inside that big ass place with the gate.

Rapping Granny said:
I don't understand why your multiplayer free roam character you choose isn't the character when you play public gang matches, why is it all preset characters? Does it really matter R*?

I think if you start a match from within the free-roam (by going to those signpost things), then you use your character. If you hit back/select and go to public gang match from that menu then it puts two factions against each other and you just get a random character.

daddynorcal

Neo Member
Hi-tekk said:
daddynorcal,

quick question. On my PS3 if I delete my current RDR game save so I can start all over again from the beginning, will I lose my Deadly Assassin Outfit? Can I reenter the code a second time and have it unlocked again? Also does the same apply to my social club Gentleman's Outfit as well? Thanks in advance.

If you delete your save or create a new save with the same profile you will be awarded any bonus content you unlock at the earliest possible time. You do not need to enter the code again.

The Gentleman's Attire Outfit will unlock again as soon after you sign into Social Club and complete the first two story missions.

R* Support

deadbeef

taoofjord said:

4) Only fast travel with camping when you have a horse.
Minus number 4, this is how I've been playing

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
ShockingAlberto said:

Find a scrap of fabric hidden in a chest within the town.

Spoiler:
It is in the barn/warehouse just as you enter town from Bonnie's

I like this game a lot and I may get trolled for this.. I don't feel like there is a ton of variety in the main missions so far about 5 hours in. I'll keep playing, I'm having fun but yeah. Also, herding sucks; the AI on the cows/horses is retarded.

wayward archer said:
I think if you start a match from within the free-roam (by going to those signpost things), then you use your character. If you hit back/select and go to public gang match from that menu then it puts two factions against each other and you just get a random character.

Yeah I know that, it would make the MP unlocks much more useful if you can use them in public matches. Your title and horse stays the same but your character changes, I don't understand why they did this.

DevelopmentArrested said:
I like this game a lot and I may get trolled for this.. I don't feel like there is a ton of variety in the main missions so far about 5 hours in. I'll keep playing, I'm having fun but yeah. Also, herding sucks; the AI on the cows/horses is retarded.

You have barely scratched the surface of the game, the campain missions and even the side missions get more fun later on.

Top Bottom