• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

TxdoHawk

Been playing a mix of the multiplayer and single-player...even with all the bugs, I have been trying to level and complete challenges in free roam, in order to try and unlock some of the wackier mounts. If you don't know what I mean, go into the outfitter and look at the outlines toward the end of the mounts list. I wanna unlock the
bull
. :D

One complaint: Maybe this changes at some point, but it seems that the XP rewards for completing challenges are pretty piddly. I'm up to the 7th or 8th gang hideout challenge, and still only getting 250 xp or so for the challenge completion. Thankfully, the gang hideouts themselves seem to net a lot of experience...

I also wonder how many thick-headed people are "deathmatching" in Free Roam because they can't figure out how to join competitive modes. :lol Nobody ever wants to run hideouts with me.

Hi-tekk

Neo Member
daddynorcal,

i bought the Rio Bravo map from one of the stores. It seems like it was a waste of money. What advantages are there to buying maps such as these? Because currently, there doesn't seem to be any.

JoeBoy101

TxdoHawk said:
Been playing a mix of the multiplayer and single-player...even with all the bugs, I have been trying to level and complete challenges in free roam, in order to try and unlock some of the wackier mounts. If you don't know what I mean, go into the outfitter and look at the outlines toward the end of the mounts list. I wanna unlock the
bull
. :D

It'll probably take some time, Mongo.

Hi-Tekk said:
daddynorcal,

i bought the Rio Bravo map from one of the stores. It seems like it was a waste of money. What advantages are there to buying maps such as these? Because currently, there doesn't seem to be any.

If you look on your map, after activating the Rio Bravo Map in your inventory, it plots out the major locations in that county. I actually advise against it as its more fun to explore and find.

Tr4nce said:
In GTAIV you could just HOLD the Triangle button on PS3, no matter where you were standing near the cab. Niko would always take a seat in the back of the taxi. Isn't it like that with RDR?
I don't have RDR--it just sounded like a complaint people had when GTA4 came out. Not saying it's the same though, it was just funny to me.

Wiggum2007

I'm google image searching the different horse breeds available for purchase to see which one looks the coolest before buying. :lol

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Wiggum2007 said:
I'm google image searching the different horse breeds available for purchase to see which one looks the coolest before buying. :lol

Do share your favorite, I don't feel like google imaging, or if you find a location with all of them link it.

I've had a lot of weird things happen to me due to my crappy aiming so far. I've accidentally killed so many people I was trying to save. I even had my horse run in front of a bounty just as I was shooting and I accidentally killed the horse. One time I killed a bounty, turned it in, did a bunch of side missions, and then died. When I woke up back at my house the game acted like I didn't kill the bounty. So, I was able to re-kill the bounty and get all the money and honor again. Lots of strange things in this game...

Dude Abides

Banned
Gary Whitta said:
This is my main complaint too, it's like trying to pat your head and rub your stomach at the same time.

I find that the horse-riding + shooting works out a little better if you just nudge the left stick, rather than pushing it as far as it will go. Doing that seems to just make the horse turn in circles.

daddynorcal

Neo Member
DMeisterJ said:
This is like my third time asking this question, but does anyone know how to make the scrap 3 mission for the Deadly Assassin outfit come up? I can't find the guy I have to kill/capture D:

This is an issue we're aware some people are experiencing. We are working to resolve it as soon as possible.

R* Support

Mr. Sam

Teknoman

Hi-tekk said:
daddynorcal,

Did you press select/back and then use the map in your items kit? Gotta use it before it records the places in the area.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I rented out the little shed at Ridgewood Farm and it won't let me sleep there for some reason The green icon is there but when I come up close to the icon it disappears.

Only because it's been asked 50 million times but haven't seen the answer:

The Assassin's outfit, golden guns in SP and war horse can only be gotten in the LE? Just want to be perfectly sure.

mojiimbo

I wish the "cheat" that reverted your Dead Eye to level 1 was exempt from the no saving/no achievements restriction. I end up getting fucked over with level 2 whenever I have to take out more than 2 guys at once because it'll waste bullets by targeting the wrong guy or the same guy twice or targeting the wrong area. :-/

IMACOMPUTA

So, i tried to create a ghost town, but everyone just keeps respawning.
:(

Also, it sucks that it limits where you can use your lasso. I really wanted to drag someone from the train lol

Man, I really hope you don't have to collect every single herb to 100% the game. I think I'm going to actually go for the 100% this time. Never did it for any of the GTAs or Bully.

JoeBoy101 said:
I am virtually positive you CANNOT review the text before, but I will look for it again beforehand. Thank you for this tremendously. Also, another poster commented to paint hits when the crosshairs turn white on the body. Does that matter?

i remember the tutorial said to "paint it when it's white"

(I'm paraphrasing here...)

Gravijah

LabouredSubterfuge said:
Only because it's been asked 50 million times but haven't seen the answer:

The Assassin's outfit, golden guns in SP and war horse can only be gotten in the LE? Just want to be perfectly sure.

I think you can unlock them in game, but I'm not sure.

daddynorcal

Neo Member
JoeBoy101 said:
I am virtually positive you CANNOT review the text before, but I will look for it again beforehand. Thank you for this tremendously. Also, another poster commented to paint hits when the crosshairs turn white on the body. Does that matter?

Red crosshairs are less accurate than white. You don't have to wait for it to turn white but if you do your are much more likely to land those shots.

Teknoman

Dead said:
I have no idea what Im doing wrong. I can never win a single duel...

When the screen turns to dead eye, draw your gun like normal. Press the shoot button on multiple places (wherever you think is best) and confirm when the crosshair is white for best results.

Guy with the highest meter wins.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Teknoman said:
When the screen turns to dead eye, draw your gun like normal. Press the shoot button on multiple places (wherever you think is best) and confirm when the crosshair is white for best results.

it doesn't seem to simply be highest meter

Dead

well not really...yet
Teknoman said:

Thats what I always do, but I never win

Slizz

Haven't even played single player except watching the first 2 or 3 cinematics.

Where is the best place to hunt rabbits? I've seen like 3 and only killed 2.

Zeliard

Dead said:
I have no idea what Im doing wrong. I can never win a single duel...

Just pull your gun out quickly and then bombard them with shots. It's worked everytime so far for me. Also makes the duels themselves fairly lame and repetitive, with little apparent rhyme or reason to them.

xenix

astroturfing said:
WHAT?! that's impossible. out of all games, Red Dead has custom soundtracks?

i need to know this too. if you can actually play songs off your HDD while free roaming... i think i wont need any other game this summer. (i LOVE the feature, but pretty much no game supports it....)

Yes, it has custom soundtrack. Just tried it 5 minutes ago...

Teknoman

Zeliard said:
Just pull your gun out quickly and then bombard them with shots. It's worked everytime so far for me. Also makes the duels themselves fairly lame and repetitive, with little apparent rhyme or reason to them.

Yeah in that case just shoot the crap out of em :lol

Zeliard

Teknoman said:
Yeah in that case just shoot the crap out of em :lol

It's weird. The game clearly takes a huge amount of influence from western flicks, but how many Westerns have you seen where people are shooting the hell out of each other in duels? Even if it isn't "realistic", it's still a lot cooler when each guy just takes one shot, and that's that. Ending a duel instantly with a head shot is ideal. You can disarm, but can you one-shot someone in a duel?

JoeBoy101

tmarques said:
Not a fan of westerns, but the hype is getting to me.

Do you need to be a Glenn Ford fan to enjoy this game?

Nope, check the OP as it lists all the movies that served as inspiration. They dipped from old classics, through spaghetti westerns, to what I refer to as the 'redemption period' (ref. Unforgiven), to modern day western yarns.

You can see all of the influences in the game, but at its core, its a western tale. And frankly, even if you're not a fan of westerns, if you like open world GTA-style games, I think you'll love this one. I hated gangsta shit and loved San Andreas. And this is better than San Andreas.

Pimpbaa said:
This game is definitely worthy of the scores it's been getting. My only complaint was the lack of manual save (losing a ton of progress while hunting due to a damn cougar sucks), but read last night that you can save by using a horse deed or campfire. Will remember to do that when I play today

Fair warning, the horse certificate use activates the auto save. For the manual save and picking a save slot, you either need a bed or a campfire.

Pimpbaa

This game is definitely worthy of the scores it's been getting. My only complaint was the lack of manual save (losing a ton of progress while hunting due to a damn cougar sucks), but read last night that you can save by using a horse deed or campfire. Will remember to do that when I play today.

OMGLOL, I was up nearly $800 in Texas Hold'Em in the Thieves Landing and
the guy next to me stood up, called me a cheater and shot me dead.

R* I love you.

Hank The Tank said:
That I can not say, it has to be experienced! Although I guess that it makes sense seen from some sort of twisted narrative/plot/immersion standpoint. :p

so it was a story element? that is kind of what I was wondering about, if it was a glitch or something in the story that soured you.

best to keep it to yourself then :D

JoeBoy101

Square Triangle said:

R* I love you.

You were up $800 in Texas Hold'Em in a place called Thieves' Landing and surprised that happened? I would have done the same.

KooPaL

Hey guys! I know this was answered before but I couldn't find the post anymore so just going to ask it again... how does adding the Red Dead Gaf gamertag help me find all you other GAFers who are currently playing RDR?

gibration

Square Triangle said:

R* I love you.
:lol This is a good example of why I love this game.

Emitan

KooPaL said:
Hey guys! I know this was answered before but I couldn't find the post anymore so just going to ask it again... how does adding the Red Dead Gaf gamertag help me find all you other GAFers who are currently playing RDR?
You can check their friends list I would assume.

Top Bottom