• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
The invisibility glitch has ruined free mode for me.

I'm just sticking with competitive modes for now.

see5harp

PIMPBYBLUD said:
You mean Bill Paxson? If so i guess that is where the 100 million went to. Nico feels cheated...

Yea, it's a Big Love reference ;). I know Bill Paxton is a Texas native, so it really makes sense in that universe.

Zeliard said:
I wish this game had a hardcore mode that forced these sorts of rules.

I follow most of those just naturally. The horse I have now, I've had since close to the start of the game, and he's always hanging around me either way.

I also haven't fast traveled yet at all, as well as ignored the maps in the stores so I can explore everything myself. I'd like to say that I won't fast travel for the rest of the game, but realistically, once the entire world opens up I probably will to get across the real large distances.

Another thing I'm trying to do is not use waypoints.

TxdoHawk

DevelopmentArrested said:
the AI on the cows/horses is retarded.

So what you're saying is, it's too realistic? ;>

Cerrius said:
The invisibility glitch has ruined free mode for me.

It definitely sucks, but Rockstar has acknowledged the issue at least. I'm just curious how soon the patch will be out, the 360 version at least, what with Microsoft's approval process.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Gary Whitta said:
Post like this from another forum are why this game is awesome.

Holy shit that is an awesome story. I hope I encounter a similar situation.

taoofjord said:
For the gamer who wants a more immersive, challenging experience... follow these rules when playing single player (I also find the game more fun this way):

1) Don't whistle for your horse unless it's nearby.

2) Don't whistle for a new horse after yours dies. And then only do it again after you have hitched a new one.

3) When not doing a mission, use horse sprint sparingly (since some mission require you to use your horse's sprint completely).

4) Only fast travel with camping when you have a horse.

This is exactly how I decided to play the game before I bought it. Honestly, being able to whistle for your horse when it isn't nearby is kind of ridiculous.

Sorry to do this again guys but I didn't get a full answer last time round:

The Assassin's outfit, golden guns in SP and war horse can only be attained by buying the LE? Or can they be unlocked later in the game with just the odrinary version? Just want to be perfectly sure.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
My god the OST of this game is simply amazing. I highly recommend it if you liked the songs you heard during your play-through. So good.
chandoog said:
Huh .. Liar's Dice is actually a pretty fun game ..
I made over 2K playing Liar's Dice. <3 it.

Anyone tried playing with the mini-map turned off? I'm not man enough for it, personally (way too easy to lose your barrings, much like any GTA game) but it's epic playing with no HUD.

Future reference, R*: ditch the pause menus, they suck. This game would be that much better with some kind of real time in-game compass and map (e.g., Far Cry 2).

Dead

well not really...yet
Any tips on how to finish the Nosalida standoff between the Mexican Army and the rebels? (part of the stranger quest to pick up a package)

Even if I kill all the rebels, theres no sign that the event is finished, and the mexican soldiers still follow me around

Is there something specific to do with the flaming bottles? I dont like using them because almost every time I do, a soldier gets caught in the fire and then they start shooting at me...

sillik

Banned
Just chiming in that alot of dutch stores broke the streetdate today. I'm playing RDR right now and boy is it awesome :lol Looks like Just cause 2's reign as best looking sandbox game was a short lived!

DannyCool

Dead said:
Any tips on how to finish the Nosalida standoff between the Mexican Army and the rebels? (part of the stranger quest to pick up a package)

Even if I kill all the rebels, theres no sign that the event is finished, and the mexican soldiers still follow me around

Is there something specific to do with the flaming bottles? I dont like using them because almost every time I do, a soldier gets caught in the fire and then they start shooting at me...

Dude, spoilers? Thanks alot.

chidrock

chidrock said:
Okay, these might be a dumb questions, but I couldn't find anything on it anywhere...

On the night watch patrol you come across two guys fighting - how do you handle it? I've tried pushing them, shooting them in the legs, etc and I always get a message stating that I didn't stop any crimes. This also applis to a guy I found in the wilderness who was getting held up.

Craziest thing I saw was also in the wilderness - a guy morning over his dead wife/girlfriend pulls out a gun and shoots himself. Was I supposed to stop it somehow? I didn't even know what was going on until it was done because it wasn't a cutscene or anything.

Just thought I'd try asking again since it's been 5 hours since I first asked...

Also, if you use the deed for the warhorse and it dies, can you just keep ordering up another one?

@ daddynorcal...how should I go about fixing the corrupted soundtrack issue? When I try to re-download I get a message saying that I've already downloaded this item. Am I SOL or can I be compensated somehow?

So you can't collect anything from parts of the game that haven't been activated yet? Like if you don't have a costume entry or a treasure map, you can't find clothing scraps or collect treasures you find without a map?

I happened upon a gang hideout that hasn't been activated yet and the game told me to come back later, but I explored it anyway and found a treasure but it wouldn't let me pick it up, and a chest with nothing in it that will probably contain a costume scrap later, since they usually at least have ammo or money.

That's kind of disappointing if exploring is limited like that :(

chidrock said:
Just thought I'd try asking again since it's been 5 hours since I first asked...

Also, if you use the deed for the warhorse and it dies, can you just keep ordering up another one?

1. You can kill criminals, or lasso and hogtie them. Killing them does not put on bounty on you, in fact, iirc, your honor goes up.
2. Yes, you only have to pay for a horse once.

Dante369 said:
I had a glitch during a cutscene where some random character sat in the same chair as one of the characters in the cutscenes. :lol The scene takes place in Mexico during one of the
Ricketts
missions, so you if you're not there you might not want to watch it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJhzEvQU58k

Sorry about the shaky cam.

Oh yes I had this too, but it was a side mission with a prostitute and her pimp beating her up, but there was two of them lol.

Hmm how do I capture the guy alive on bounty missions?

I shoot them in the leg and then wander over to them but there is no option that appears to capture them. I just end up having to shoot them again...

johnnyg87

Neo Member
chidrock said:

For the surveillance question, all I did was
shoot like 3 shots beside them to scare them off. They ran away and I made some cool cash.

yencid

question: In free roam if your friend is a female character and is riding a horse can we actually ride the same horse? cus if not then i got a glitch, instead of my friend taking me down the horse he rode with me.

Gravijah

Harry_Tequila said:
Hmm how do I capture the guy alive on bounty missions?

I shoot them in the leg and then wander over to them but there is no option that appears to capture them. I just end up having to shoot them again...

Make sure you have the lasso.

chidrock

NEOPARADIGM said:
1. You can kill criminals, or lasso and hogtie them. Killing them does not put on bounty on you, in fact, iirc, your honor goes up.
2. Yes, you only have to pay for a horse once.
Thanks! Now the hard part is figuring out which is the criminal. (if breaking up a fight)

Teknoman

Has anyone ever tried jumping on a train while riding on your horse? Awesome that it works :D Rode on top of a random train (climbed up after jumping on a car, so it wasnt a glitch/something that wasnt supposed to happen) all the way back to Armadillo.

Also didnt know that you can just press circle (B?) to greet people.

Gravijah

Teknoman said:
Has anyone ever tried jumping on a train while riding on your horse? Awesome that it works :D Rode on top of a random train (climbed up after jumping on a car, so it wasnt a glitch/something that wasnt supposed to happen) all the way back to Armadillo.

Also didnt know that you can just press circle (B?) to greet people.

Yep, I do it all the time.

How exactly do you win at blackjack? Is it just being the last person with chips left?

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
So all those rumours about the internal turmoil at R* affecting RDRs quality seem to be bogus judging by the massive acclaim from gaffers :D

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
i did the W mission and can eagle eye auto-target in dead-eye mode but i hate it. i keep accidentally shooting horses and just killed my own horse...is there a way to turn it off?

eXistor

I've been playing it for about 6 hours now and I love it. It's a great game through and through, but the one thing that does keep my enthusiasm in check is something that's my own fault. I read too much and saw too many videos on the game. I knew exactly what thegame was gonna be and it is exactly that. I ruined the freshness of the game before I even played it. I know I can't hold that against the game, but it does make me feel like I've played the game already and it's not surprising me in any way. Still it's a great great game and it's sure to become one of my favorites this year. It's gonna have a tough battle what with Mario Galaxy 2, Alan Wake and Mass Effect 2, Fallout New Vegas and not to mention a possible Zelda and Last Guardian to contend with (though I highly doubt those last two).

chidrock said:
Thanks! Now the hard part is figuring out which is the criminal. (if breaking up a fight)
Yeah this can be tough sometimes. I was riding outside of town yesterday and I saw two guys shooting it out which one another. I couldn't tell who was the good guy and who was the bad guy. So I shot them both. Better to be safe than sorry.

yencid

eXistor said:
I've been playing it for about 6 hours now and I love it. It's a great game through and through, but the one thing that does keep my enthusiasm in check is something that;s my wn fault. I read too much and saw too many videos on the game. I knew exactly what thegame was gonna be and it is exactly that. I ruined the freshness of the game before I even played it. I know I can't hold that against the game, but it does make me feel like I've played the game already and it's not surprising me in any way. Still it's a great great game and it's sure to become one of my favorites this year. It's gonna have a tough battle what with Mario Galaxy 2, Alan Wake and Mass Effect 2, Fallout New Vegas and not to mention a possible Zelda and Last Guardian to contend with (though I highly doubt those last two).
thankfully i barely saw anything on this game. The hype definitely sneaked up on me ninja style.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
chidrock said:

The first time I got really close and just pointed my gun at them whereupon they just ran off(I didn't have the lasso yet). Second time I just tied them up!

yencid

Gary Whitta said:
Yeah this can be tough sometimes. I was riding outside of town yesterday and I saw two guys shooting it out which one another. I couldn't tell who was the good guy and who was the bad guy. So I shot them both. Better to be safe than sorry.
i saw two dudes running and i shot the sheriff instead of the criminal...

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
yencid said:
thankfully i barely saw anything on this game. The hype definitely sneaked up on me ninja style.
yeah thats the best. i get burned sometimes because i didn't look up enough about a game, but when it works out, it's gret

chidrock

RiccochetJ said:
The first time I got really close and just pointed my gun at them whereupon they just ran off(I didn't have the lasso yet). Second time I just tied them up!
Thanks again! I tried doing that to someone who wasn't fighting and let's just say it didn't end well.

I just thought that you might get a better honor/fame reward if you resort to non-lethal methods and shooting them in the leg didn't work lol.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
ThirstyFly said:
So you can't collect anything from parts of the game that haven't been activated yet? Like if you don't have a costume entry or a treasure map, you can't find clothing scraps or collect treasures you find without a map?

I happened upon a gang hideout that hasn't been activated yet and the game told me to come back later, but I explored it anyway and found a treasure but it wouldn't let me pick it up, and a chest with nothing in it that will probably contain a costume scrap later, since they usually at least have ammo or money.

That's kind of disappointing if exploring is limited like that :(
I wanted to play it RPG style, but yeah they don't reward or encourage exploring all that much

Top Bottom