• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Volcynika

xero273 said:
anyone else order from amazon get their $20 gift card yet? It's been two business days and still nothing. I just emailed them to see what is going on.

They said it should be sent within 10 days of shipping. So be patient!

Also good game last night guys. Hopefully can get my mic working to make communication easier. I'M TIRED OF RIDING THE DONKEY.

FrankT

Deals for the UK folks:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=247572

Who's selling Red Dead Redemption cheapest?
CVG rounds-up the online and High Street offers

UK supermarket Tesco has laid down the gauntlet on Red Dead Redemption pricing this morning - selling the Xbox 360 for £39.70 with 800 free MS Points thrown in.

The deal has been advertised in the national press, and is only available in-store until May 30th.

However, Tesco Entertainment is selling the game for a very reasonable £35 on 360 online - while the PS3 version comes in at £39.99. However, some canny CVG readers - who have commented below - are using voucher codes to get extra cash off at Tesco's online Entertainment store.

Elsewhere, Blockbuster is flogging both PS3 and Xbox 360 versions of the game for £36.99, with a £5 rental voucher thrown in.

is offering the title for £39.84 on both formats, whilst Play.com plumps for a tasty £36.99. Amazon goes for £34.99 on Xbox 360, but it's PS3 SKU is sold for a whopping £47.99.

Back on the High Street, GAME and GameStation sell the title for £39.99 on on both SKUs - the same price it goes for on their online sites.

Many CVG readers have been tempted by Argos's trade-in deal, where Red Dead can be picked up for £9.99 when two selected titles are also handed over. The store is selling the game for £33.99 on PS3 and £34.99 on 360 - but is asking consumers to ring and reserve their copy first.

Red Dead Redemption is released today in the UK - after hitting US shelves on Tuesday.

slewis7

Inferno313 said:
Has anyone who purchased through Amazon gotten their $20 gift card yet? I got a $5 music credit, but not my $20.... I was planning on ordering SMG2 with that.

I emailed Amazon about this yesterday and got the following reply:

Thank you for writing to us at Amazon.com.

I apologize for the delay in sending your gift card.

We are currently investigating this situation and hope to have a resolution within the next 2-10 business days.

My god, I just played free roam for hours upon hours. Free roam is a blast if you get a bunch of like minded people together, hours feel like minutes. Last night we had 7 or 8 people all doing the Most Wanted achievement(over $1000 bounty for 10 minutes and then escape) in Armadillo, there must have been waves of 50 gov't agents coming down on us.

After that we FFA'd for a bit, and then steamrolled some kiddies in the team based games. Finally myself and Mr_Guillotine did all of the Hunter Rank II challenges. If you're looking for a challenge, do these.
Kahn the legendary jaguar will rape your fucking face with his army of cougars(we probably killed 20+ each time to get Kahn to spawn), and the bear challenge is amazing. Nothing like killing packs and packs of bears, and suddenly see a huge red skull pop up behind you, and 4 bears and their legendary friend come tearing down the mountain towards you.

Definitely one of the best nights of gaming I've ever had. This game's got me roasted like ever. GOTY+++!

JambiBum

sw33tclyde said:
My god, I just played free roam for hours upon hours. Free roam is a blast if you get a bunch of like minded people together, hours feel like minutes. Last night we had 7 or 8 people all doing the Most Wanted achievement(over $1000 bounty for 10 minutes and then escape) in Armadillo, there must have been waves of 50 gov't agents coming down on us.

After that we FFA'd for a bit, and then steamrolled some kiddies in the team based games. Finally myself and Mr_Guillotine did all of the Hunter Rank II challenges. If you're looking for a challenge, do these.
Kahn the legendary jaguar will rape your fucking face with his army of cougars(we probably killed 20+ each time to get Kahn to spawn), and the bear challenge is amazing. Nothing like killing packs and packs of bears, and suddenly see a huge red skull pop up behind you, and 4 bears and their legendary friend come tearing down the mountain towards you.

Definitely one of the best nights of gaming I've ever had. This game's got me roasted like ever. GOTY+++!

God damnit you should have invited me. You twat. lol.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Got my copy...was worried my PS3 might feel a little left out, but HMV are giving away copies of 3:10 to Yuma on Blu-ray with either the 360 or PS3 version :lol

Lowest price locally + free Blu-ray = <3 HMV

edit - seeing jyettis' post...I can't speak for supermarkets, but AFAIK hmv has the best price here among the game or entertainment stores (€45).

Raide

Ok GAF, how many of the 360 players are up for some games? I am sitting on the fence about getting this and I am wondering what people think of the MP so far.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
How can this game not have dual wield revolvers, it makes no sense to me

MMaRsu

Raide said:
Ok GAF, how many of the 360 players are up for some games? I am sitting on the fence about getting this and I am wondering what people think of the MP so far.

I would if I could connect to any..

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Mp is very shakey for me at the moment, constant dc'ing and error messages

Meier

CaseyTappy said:
I just got the 360 version and 2 hours in or so , love the game and the environments .

Just gave a man a certain paper with some blood still on it , I felt really ashamed also :lol
Considering the reward for the mission was just $15.. thank god I did the same thing as you!

Ward

sw33tclyde said:
Last night we had 7 or 8 people all doing the Most Wanted achievement(over $1000 bounty for 10 minutes and then escape) in Armadillo, there must have been waves of 50 gov't agents coming down on us.

I need to go to Armadillo then. I was doing the bounty challenges in Blackwater and it kept timing out due to not enough police showing up.

Ward said:
I need to go to Armadillo then. I was doing the bounty challenges in Blackwater and it kept timing out due to not enough police showing up.

I think the reason we had so many po-po's showing up was the 6 or 7 people who constantly had $500+ bounties.

Double D

Finally got the game yesterday. Didn't get a chance to play it, and probably won't be able to until maybe Saturday night. Damn you, real life!!!!

timkunedo

Vik_Vaughn said:
Finally got the game yesterday. Didn't get a chance to play it, and probably won't be able to until maybe Saturday night. Damn you, real life!!!!

same here. sucks, but i'm hoping to get some quality time in this weekend with zero distractions!

Dyno

I'm getting the feeling this game doesn't build up. That the feeling and atmosphere you feel in the beginning - which is good - stays at that plateau.

Oni Jazar

I'm only a couple hours in but I want to marry this game. It's Rockstar going back to the San Andreas style game: huge scope, heavy atmosphere, living breathing world with a ton of fun stuff to do. Just walking around town watching the dust blow, the clouds roll on by, the shadows get longer and longer as the sun begins to set. It's a breathtakingly beautiful game.

First off they definitely improved their interface from GTA4. RDR has much tighter controls, improved cover mechanics, & smoother framerate: The three largest complaints I had with GTA4. Additionally, I'm constantly impressed with the open world aspect. There's so much to do, so many games, objectives, missions, dynamic moments that it's mind blowing. After a while of playing a clear star-studded night sets in and I wander into the nearest saloon. Stopping for a moment to decide if I should play some poker I conclude that it's late and probably a good idea to rent the room upstairs. After completing the transaction I walk out to the balcony to take one last look of the word of Read Dead Redemption. The quiet night sky is interrupted by a sound of hoofbeats, hollers and gun fire as a posse stomps through main street dragging a sad individual tied to a rope. Should I help him, Or just leave them be and enjoy the parade? The choice is mine.

Perhaps after a few more hours of playing the curtain will rise, the magic will dissolve and it will become a set of repetitive missions with poor mini-games scattered throughout, but I can't deny that this game has taken hold of me more so then any other game in a long time.

Shoogoo

Shoogoo said:
What is the right trigger used for? Shooting I guess. But more importantly, can you change the settings and have the left trigger do the shooting?

Sorry to bump this, but I need to know :/ thanks to anybody who'd take the time to check it out for me.

sw33tclyde said:
Just started playing the game today and this sounds exactly like what I want half the time. Because every mission where you have to travel with some one to one area or another I just think "man it would be so awesome to ride in a gang and just do dumb stuff".
Jeff Stephen said:
How would he rapid fire in dead eye?
Alternate between the two revolvers?

dexterslu

MMaRsu said:
Yeah that is pretty strange.. DLC perhaps.

Yeah, they had some of the producers (?) on Kotaku Talk Radio last week and someone asked that very question. They certainly seemed open to the idea. When asked how much he would pay for a DLC pack of that nature the kid said - twenty dollars.

W Hudson

sw33tclyde said:

How do you open up the Hunting Challenges in Free Roam? Is there an XP level you have to get to or is it something else? I'm a level 14 and haven't seen any of them on the map yet. Any and all input would be greatly appreciated.

MMaRsu

dexterslu said:
Yeah, they had some of the producers (?) on Kotaku Talk Radio last week and someone asked that very question. They certainly seemed open to the idea. When asked how much he would pay for a DLC pack of that nature the kid said - twenty dollars.

Wtf. I wouldn't pay jack shit for it :lol

Haunted

holy shit at the weather changes

While hunting some coyotes
(and escaped convicts, heh)
, I notice the skies darkening, a slight drizzle starting... and suddenly all hell breaks loose when an impressive thunderstorm hits: the visibility drops, torrents of rain start pouring down, with rain puddles and mud quickly forming on the ground; the occasional lightning bolt illuminates the scene while I ride through the prairie at full speed to find some shelter in the next town.

Fucking epic.

DieselRainbow

Neo Member
Bought this morning. Stuck at work for 8 hours though! What a slow day! I want to play it now!

I bought the Limited Edition. Should I redeem the bonus items before I start playing and use them? Or should I wait and play it through 1st without them?
:D

xero273

Volcynika said:
They said it should be sent within 10 days of shipping. So be patient!

Also good game last night guys. Hopefully can get my mic working to make communication easier. I'M TIRED OF RIDING THE DONKEY.

You are really a nub. Just take a horse from someone.

Dude Abides

Banned
Yesterday someone told me that to get the hunting challenges you just have to check your journal. That does not appear to be the complete story - it looks like you have to kill and skin an animal first, and then the challenge for that animal will appear.

W Hudson said:
How do you open up the Hunting Challenges in Free Roam? Is there an XP level you have to get to or is it something else? I'm a level 14 and haven't seen any of them on the map yet. Any and all input would be greatly appreciated.

I don't think they appear as an icon on the map. Hit start and check your journal and the challenges are listed there. You just have to explore to find all the animals the game wants you to kill (also I think the animal drawings on the map indicate areas you are more likely to find certain kinds of animals, but really they can be anywhere.)

W Hudson said:

They don't show up on your map until you do the first challenge, I think. While you're in MP hit start and go to your Journal. There should be a 4(iirc) different pages. Look through these and see if you can't find the Hunter Rank II challenge. It should give you a red circle on your map, like the bounty/stranger mission circles, where the legendary animal will spawn. Don't expect to see the uber-beast at first though, he'll only spawn after you kill a bunch of his peons.

I'm not positive you'll have it unlocked yet, as I'm not sure about the MP unlocks at all. I've spent most of my time in SP and just got into free roam last night. I was constantly seeing 'New challenges unlocked, check journal for more info', so keep chugging if you haven't got the challenge yet! Oh, Mr_G shared a clever tip with me in our playtime, that I'm sure you guys will find useful as well.

Protip: you can set a waypoint on your map and teleport to it by going up to one of the Transport poles in free roam. I haven't tried it in SP yet, but iirc he said it works there as well!

Ward

W Hudson said:

They are already open from the start. You don't see them on the map. Hit start, go to journal>free roam>challenges. This will give you a list of current ambient challenges.

JambiBum said:
I was at work lol. God damn. Need to find a public room where people work together like that.

I got lucky and joined a random room with some awesome guys. I added a bunch of them so hopefully we can get a solid posse going. Next time I'll be sure to send you a few invites and PM you on here if need be. :)

Ward said:
They are already open from the start. You don't see them on the map. Hit start, go to journal>free roam>challenges. This will give you a list of current ambient challenges.

The first one won't show up until you engage it I guess, but I know for a fact that after you start doing them they show up with big red circles on the map. Or maybe you can turn on tracking like with the Stranger missions in SP?

Lakitu

st5fu
Only around 2 hours in, done the first of missions but I'm messing around now, hunting, helping out strangers, people getting attacked and just exploring. Also, I won my first duel in Armadillo :D

This game is awesome, it has so much life. I traded in all my shitty 360 games for it and it was worth it.

owlbeak

I'm gonna lose my mind if I can't find ONE more rabbit to shoot. I've hung out at McFarlane ranch or whatever, all over the place didn't see anything. Rode all the way to mexico combing through the bushes...nothing! I just need ONE more for that sharpshooter challenge! I spent three hours in free roam yesterday just slowly creepin through bushes trying to scare one out. Can anyone give me a definitive spot to find some rabbits? And what time of day/night are they more likely to be around?

Also, I'm pretty sure they are, but is it confirmed that animals are on day/night cycles? Like I think Deer only come out around dawn and twilight?

Haunted said:
holy shit at the weather changes

While hunting some coyotes
(and escaped convicts, heh)
, I notice the skies darkening, a slight drizzle starting... and suddenly all hell breaks loose when an impressive thunderstorm hits: the visibility drops, torrents of rain start pouring down, with rain puddles and mud quickly forming on the ground; the occasional lightning bolt illuminates the scene while I ride through the prairie at full speed to find some shelter in the next town.

Fucking epic.

Rode through a thunderstorm at night in my first couple hours of playing through. Absolutely incredible how well they nailed the sound and spectacle of the thunderstorm. Riding over a ridge and seeing the clouds on the horizon light up followed shortly by the crack of the thunder echoing across the valley all while the wind whistled and rain came down in sheets, I had to stop and admire in awe.

Awesome game, I see this becoming my favorite open world game ever.

I'd like to join up with others on PSN for some free roam, my id: hermes520

I guess I have been naive about this game, because not only is this thread blowing up, my friends list is blowing up on it as well. 13 people out of about 35 were playing this last night. Had no idea. Then again im not too suprised as R* open world games tend to do ok.

Snowballo

In multiplayer (or even in single) is it possible to change the hand that holds the weapon in order to get a better viewpoint over obstacles?

Thanks.

Dries

sorry if old:

123602cf_UDjGB.jpg

Ward

Snowballo said:
In multiplayer (or even in single) is it possible to change the hand that holds the weapon in order to get a better viewpoint over obstacles?

Thanks.

Left and right d-pad switches over the shoulder view left or right. It does not change weapon hand.

Top Bottom