• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
What the hell -- you can't turn the golden guns off? Isn't there any data you can delete? I thought all the various bonus content would be optional and turned on/off through the menus.

Raide

Ok. My Credit Card is a little lighter now and I have my own 360 copy of the game. Time to jump in and see what the SP is like before attempting my journey into MP. :D

Ward

Horsebite said:
I'm gonna lose my mind if I can't find ONE more rabbit to shoot. I've hung out at McFarlane ranch or whatever, all over the place didn't see anything. Rode all the way to mexico combing through the bushes...nothing! I just need ONE more for that sharpshooter challenge! I spent three hours in free roam yesterday just slowly creepin through bushes trying to scare one out. Can anyone give me a definitive spot to find some rabbits? And what time of day/night are they more likely to be around?

Also, I'm pretty sure they are, but is it confirmed that animals are on day/night cycles? Like I think Deer only come out around dawn and twilight?

West/North West of Blackwater in free roam I got 5 rabbits in a very short time. I think it was afternoon game time if it makes a difference.

CaLe

Having trouble with Free Roam. It says there's a problem with the connection then I just get infinite loading. Have to bring up XMB to get out of it. So far have only successfully gotten into it once.

Snowballo

Ward said:
Left and right d-pad switches over the shoulder view left or right. It does not change weapon hand.

Oh thanks. It makes sense. If I'm able to shot using left is because I'm lefty and I could be not as able using the right.

So the viewchange gives you the same result right?

Oni Jazar

itsinmyveins said:
What the hell -- you can't turn the golden guns off? Isn't there any data you can delete? I thought all the various bonus content would be optional and turned on/off through the menus.

This is why I haven't used my code.

Wiggum2007

itsinmyveins said:

That sounds annoying, but you should unlock new weapons soon enough that are better than the starting ones anyways.

Kintaro said:
Yeah, all done with her stuff.

Ugh. Nice. So, I'm locked out of an outfit. Fantastic.

Horseshoes didn't unlock for me until well after the Bonnie missions. I think you have to be around the pit while people are playing for it to prompt the message of it being available. I've never seen one unlock without the symbol being lit up to tell you someone is playing.

itsinmyveins said:
This only applies to his revolver. Shotgun and any other weapons you pick up along won't be effected.

itsinmyveins

Wiggum2007 said:
That sounds annoying, but you should unlock new weapons soon enough that are better than the starting ones anyways.

But I want to use the classic ol' shooter, not some damn gold plated freak of a gun!

taoofjord

daddynorcal said:
You will retain the character you have in Free Roam in Free For All matches. In gang matches you are on a set team (i.e. Rebeldes, Lawmen, Marshals, etc.).

R* Support

And I like it this way!

After playing about four hours yesterday, it seems that Rockstar has seriously listened to the critics of GTAIV.

- Improved gunplay (cover system is better, guns don't sound like plastic pistols, deadeye is cool)
- Improved tech (Game does not look shitty 60% of the time, better lighting, better framerate, no dithering)
- Sidequests (Shitload of funny stuff to do)
- Health system (No need for stupid bulletproof vests anymore)

Rockstar redeemed or is it just early hyperbole from my side? Ok, the story is nothing great so far, but it gets the atmosphere across very well. Loving this game. Could be a little bit more humour though. But I guess the crazy characters will come sooner or later.

itsinmyveins said:
But I want to use the classic ol' shooter, not some damn gold plated freak of a gun!
same here, I thought it would be toggle-able option but fuck I look like a geek with these gold guns.
im on 360, so I am less familiar how to delete stuff like that

taoofjord

-PXG- said:
Word. Anyone who doesn't play with Expert aiming is a pussy. Seriously, it makes you feel so much more gangsta and killing shit more satisfying.

I've only played a few hours and I've seen so much shit already.

- Stopped a guy from raping a prostitute by shooting the rapist in the back of the head
- I was riding out of Armadillo late at night and saw a bunch of bandits dragging some poor bastard (tied up at his ankles to the back of a horse) into town
- Saw bandits attack someone's wagon in the middle of nowhere. They proceeded to beat him and then kill him execution style
- Went deer hunting in the bush with my horse
- Stopped (read: killed) a dude from breaking into someone's house.

There are soooooooooo many things to do in this game. So much better than GTA IV ever was. I just need to get more time to really sit down and play it.

A pussy? I don't think so. I usually like auto-aim off but the game works so much better at normal aiming. People move too fast when you're in close combat that it becomes a twitch fest and feels more like a video game than the immersive feel the game tried to create. Not to mention that the acceleration on the stick while aiming doesn't feel good (the dead zone is too big).

schennmu said:
After playing about four hours yesterday, it seems that Rockstar has seriously listened to the critics of GTAIV.

- Improved gunplay (cover system is better, guns don't sound like plastic pistols, deadeye is cool)
- Improved tech (Game does not look shitty 60% of the time, better lighting, better framerate, no dithering)
- Health system (No need stupid bulletproof vests anymore)

Rockstar redeemed or is it just early hyperbole from my side? Ok, the story is nothing great so far, but it gets the atmosphere across very well. Loving this game. Could be a little bit more humour though. But I guess the crazy characters will come sooner or later.

that sounds about right. and yeah, it will go crazy soon enough, don't worry.

itsinmyveins

gutter_trash said:
same here, I thought it would be toggle-able option but fuck I look like a geek with these gold guns.
im on 360, so I am less familiar how to delete stuff like that

All I need now is a pimp coat and some diamond grills to make the picture of the dusty old west complete.

taoofjord said:
A pussy? I don't think so. I usually like auto-aim off but the game works so much better at normal aiming. People move too fast when you're in close combat that it becomes a twitch fest and feels more like a video game than the immersive feel the game tried to create. Not to mention that the acceleration on the stick while aiming doesn't feel good (the dead zone is too big).

it's not the dead zone, it's the input lag.
but yes, I concur, auto aim in this game is necessary.

Last night in a public Grab bag FFA match, we had an Uncharted 2 glitch where 2 people were all tied up and it said the next person to capture the bag wins, except there was a problem, the bag dissapeared and we ran around killing each other for 10 minutes until people got bored and quit.

FIX THIS SHIT GUERILLA!

Mar

So... Is there anything else to do in the game besides the gang hideouts? My friends and I bought this game and found it boring and tedious just 30 minutes in. The gang hideouts take about 5 minutes each and then there doesn't seem to be anything left in the game to do. 5 of us bought the game today and I think 5 of us regret it.

DodgerSan

CaLe said:
Having trouble with Free Roam. It says there's a problem with the connection then I just get infinite loading. Have to bring up XMB to get out of it. So far have only successfully gotten into it once.

Same here. I hope they get this crap fixed soon. Gamespy really does suck ginormous sweaty balls.

mescalineeyes said:
it's not the dead zone, it's the input lag.
but yes, I concur, auto aim in this game is necessary.

Nah, not at all. Try playing the expert aiming competitive modes for a few matches and see if you feel the same way once everyone is on the same playing field.

Showdowns in expert mode are the most intense and frantic shooting segments I've ever played. The normal aiming one's pale in comparison, more of arcade-ish fun. Expert is gud.

I'm not saying it's easy, there's certainly a learning curve. But then again everything about RDR sort of has a learning curve. Seriously though, give it a try!

Wiggum2007

itsinmyveins said:

Well you should get a new better classic ol' shooter soon, there's a shitload of revolvers and rifles in the game, and from what other people have said new pistols and rifles don't have the gold plating just the starting ones.

Mar said:
So... Is there anything else to do in the game besides the gang hideouts? My friends and I bought this game and found it boring and tedious just 30 minutes in. The gang hideouts take about 5 minutes each and then there doesn't seem to be anything left in the game to do. 5 of us bought the game today and I think 5 of us regret it.

Check the journal, there're a bunch of challenges in the game, especially the hunting challenges(re-read the last page, I posted some impressions from last night earlier). There's also competitive modes and some MP achievements to do, and 50 levels worth of titles/models/mounts to unlock.

itsinmyveins

Wiggum2007 said:
Well you should get a new better classic ol' shooter soon, there's a shitload of revolvers and rifles in the game, and from what other people have said new pistols and rifles don't have the gold plating just the starting ones.

Yeah, I know, I read about that too. It's just that it looks a bit silly. Here you got this main character who looks like something the cat dragged in drawing a gun made out of gold. I just don't get why they didn't make the extra content optional rather than mandatory (in the sense that you can't turn it off when you've downloaded it).

Madman

schennmu said:

- Health system (No need for stupid bulletproof vests anymore)

Rockstar North is still working on the next Grand Theft Auto(which will hopefully be better than 4).

Rockstar San Diego (formerly Angel Studios) made this game.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I'm going to attempt to get the Hit the Trail trophy right now. I wonder if I have to start in Blackwater when the sun is up or anytime after sundown.

Wiggum2007

This game needs separate aiming difficulty options for on-foot and horseback. When I'm gunning on foot I much prefer Expert aiming, but managing aiming and movement at the same time on horseback has me switching to Normal aiming because it's such a hassle. Patch that shit in, Rockstar! (speaking strictly SP here, haven't touched MP)

itsinmyveins said:
Yeah, I know, I read about that too. It's just that it looks a bit silly. Here you got this main character who looks like something the cat dragged in drawing a gun made out of gold. I just don't get why they didn't make the extra content optional rather than mandatory (in the sense that you can't turn it off when you've downloaded it).

Yeah I agree that is very odd and silly, but just wanted to make sure you knew that you at least wouldn't be stuck like that the whole game once you pick up some new weapons.

Madman said:
Rockstar North is still working on the next Grand Theft Auto.

Rockstar San Diego (formerly Angel Studios) made this game.

... and another studio that belongs to the same group of studios that made the template this game is based on can not react to criticism to said template when they make their own game based on it?

Lakitu

st5fu
The game is thoroughly addicting and amazing so far. The random (?) encounters are really cool. Some guy in the hills told me he was stranded so me being the kind person I am offered to help him out but he pulls me off the horse and tries to escape but then I just shot his arse off the horse :lol

Anybody know when I will get the lasso? I did a bounty hunter mission but could not take him alive so I had to kill the target. I've not done too many story missions so far, I've just been messing around.

Mar

sw33tclyde said:
Check the journal, there're a bunch of challenges in the game, especially the hunting challenges(re-read the last page, I posted some impressions from last night earlier). There's also competitive modes and some MP achievements to do, and 50 levels worth of titles/models/mounts to unlock.

This surprises me greatly. We had about 7 people in our game at one point and no one knew how to access any extra content other than what was on the map. Rockstar have failed miserably in communicating what you can do in the game. I believe that to be a very big problem.

Madman

mescalineeyes said:
... and another studio that belongs to the same group of studios that made the template this game is based on can not react to criticism to said template when they make their own game based on it?
When they have been making the game since 2005, not really, no.

A trailer of the project was sent to a select number of people at a Sony conference in 2005, promoting the release of the PlayStation 3 system. The trailer was a tech demo of RAGE set in a western setting referred to as Old West Project and a direct sequel to Red Dead Revolver.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Dead_Redemption

Mar said:
This surprises me greatly. We had about 7 people in our game at one point and no one knew how to access any extra content other than what was on the map. Rockstar have failed miserably in communicating what you can do in the game. I believe that to be a very big problem.

I agree, starting out I had no idea what to do in free roam. I'd heard amazing things from reviews and previews and didn't know how to do them. :x After you level up a couple of times they do give you on-screen messages to check the journal, though it's very subtle and easy to miss in the heat of battle. I didn't really pay any attention until Mr_G told me about them last night and that's when free roam clicked for me. I'm loving it now!

Seanspeed

Banned
Mar said:
It shouldn't be a problem now that you know, though.....

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Mar said:
I hear tell there's a big single player campaign.

And there are other multiplayer game modes aside from free roam. Plus that co-op mission pack is coming next month, with 6 missions for 2-4 players.

But yeah you were probably dumb to all buy this game solely for the multiplayer.

IMACOMPUTA

RelentlessRolento said:
It was a real nice touch to have that music come in when you
First ride horseback into Mexico
. Really smart of them to do that. I did it during sunrise so it was perfect.

Hell fucking yeah. That moment was absolutely awesome. I loved that.

IMACOMPUTA

Im not exaggerating at all when I say that this is the best game ever made.
Seriously.
It's a mixture of everything awesome in video games, and it's executed excellently.
The music, the visuals, the story, the voice acting.
This is videogaming at it's finest.
The more i play, the stronger i feel about this.

Game of the forever.

*above is all my opinion, of course*

Madman

mescalineeyes said:
the concept of patches must baffle you then.
Just so we are clear, you said:
How could this be based on the template of GTA4 when it was years into development when 4 released?

Mar

Seanspeed said:
It shouldn't be a problem now that you know, though.....

I guess not. I'll try and wrangle up another game with my friends during the weekend. Hopefully the enthusiasm is still there.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
IMACOMPUTA said:
Im not exaggerating at all when I say that this is the best game ever made.
Seriously.
It's a mixture of everything awesome in video games, and it's executed excellently.
The music, the visuals, the story, the voice acting.
This is videogaming at it's finest.
The more i play, the stronger i feel about this.

Game of the forever.

*above is all my opinion, of course*

I've only been able to squeeze in about 6 hours worth of gameplay since Tuesday but as of now I share the same opinion as you. The world just feels so alive. I'll set my mind to riding to a specific town to start a specific mission and next thing I know it is 2 hours later and I haven't even made it to the town I was riding to.

I've been gaming for 20 something years now, I knew I was going to enjoy this game. I severely underestimated how much I would enjoy this game.

GOTF

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
I wonder how badly Capcom is kicking themselves for selling off the first Red Dead game. Granted, this ignores that they probably never would have taken the it in the direction of Redemption, but you just know people there have got to be looking at this game's reception and saying "oh man, what'd we do?"

Definity

Dragging ass today...started playing last night around 9PM and looked up and it was well after 1AM. God I love this game.

Sanjuro

I think my only problem with the game is the main character. He is too much of a goody two shoes to play the game as a bad guy. All of his dialog seems to contradict his personality where in comparison the protagonists in the GTA series have straddled the line much more properly.

ezekial45

Banned
Gary Whitta said:
Okay, here's a question: is this the first game to actually make use of the word
cunt
?

I'm pretty sure i heard it in GTA IV. Also, it was in that other Western game, Gun, from a few years back.

Leunam

Gary Whitta said:
Okay, here's a question: is this the first game to actually make use of the word
cunt
?

It was in Dark Athena. I remember that conversation well.

Amazon shipped this yesterday and it should be arriving today. Don't know why I didn't jump on this sooner, this is exactly the kind of setting I love.

Pennybags

Free Roam/location/weaponry spoilers marked for safety and inconvenience of reading:

Wow! Defending the massive
fort of El Presidio
from the
Mexican
law and other players with four or more other posse members is simply amazing.

So many
cannons
and
Gatling guns
! Eventually, one of our "enemies" declared war on our five-man posse, and formed a posse of his/her own (allied with the remaining three players) to combat us.

Our perimeter remained secure for two in-game days, until the opposing force decided to launch a cavalry charge supported by snipers during a nighttime assault.
Four cannons + Gatling gun, all firing throughout the night = epic atmosphere!
Our defense quickly fell apart after that, but the five of us later hunted down our rivals (now disbanded and scattered), so that we could take our revenge from within a
six-seat stagecoach, obtained from the Gaptooth mine. Soon after our enemies were brought to justice, our vehicle fell off of a treacherous cliff-side trail and into the river
. :lol

Does anyone know if Free Roam
stagecoaches
can be found anywhere besides the
Gaptooth mine
? It also appears to me that the
Gaptooth stagecoach can only be driven
after completing the Gang Hideout there.

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
I think my only problem with the game is the main character. He is too much of a goody two shoes to play the game as a bad guy. All of his dialog seems to contradict his personality where in comparison the protagonists in the GTA series have straddled the line much more properly.

I've been thinking that too after hearing the initial conversations with Bonnie on some missions. Although I like Marston a lot, the former outlaw thing doesn't seem to fit him.

Top Bottom