• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
I think my only problem with the game is the main character. He is too much of a goody two shoes to play the game as a bad guy. All of his dialog seems to contradict his personality where in comparison the protagonists in the GTA series have straddled the line much more properly.
Which is why I guess I like it. Because I am playing this game like a good guy. Heck even the missions you get don't have you doing anything absolutely terrible or criminal.

Sanjuro

Lostconfused said:
Which is why I guess I like it. Because I am playing this game like a good guy. Heck even the missions you get don't have you doing anything absolutely terrible or criminal.
I like it, but since they chose to include the honor feature it seems a bit strange.

I have to say that multiplayer is quite a blast. I played a variety of competitive gametypes but the most enjoyable moments came out of the free mode raid on the bandits. As opposed to playing cooperatively it basically evolved into an everyone for themself situation, setting up traps for one another on the way to the objective.

Despite the lag and autoaim in abundance there were some truly great moments. My favourite was undoubtedly the final stage of the mine raid where 4 of us were effectively setting up ambushes on one another scrambling to get the final push on the cart all the while having to deal with the waves of heavily armed AI miners.

Oddly enough I'm not minding the autoaim as much as I expected I would. I certainly gave expert mode a try but given the lag it's nigh impossible. It seems if you play smart and make use of the fine tuning on the aim you'll almost always have the edge over someone just who just holds autoaim and shoot.

daddynorcal

Neo Member
GDJustin said:
One Q - we didn't see any hunting challenges on the map - just the bandit camps. Do the hunting ones not open up until later?

Different challenges unlock as you level up. Each challenge has several tiers with tasks that increase in difficulty as you advance. For example Hunter I opens up at Level 2 while Hunter II opens up at Level 12.

You can view all of these if you "pause" the game and enter the Journal.

R* Support

MMaRsu

Has anyone encountered this when entering multiplayer?

You first go into free roam automatically, but when I find a public game it says it got a connection error and will return me to free roam. However it just keeps loading forever, and I have to soft reboot the game :\.

Anyone? R* help?

Teknoman

Old?

Thanks for contacting R* Support

We have just deployed a fix that should address the issues some people have been experiencing in Red Dead Redemption online multiplayer. This fix should address a specific issue that was found where the player's multiplayer avatar, their horse or their weapons would occasionally not be visible in multiplayer games as well as an issue that some players were experiencing where they would lose connection to the various multiplayer modes."

To apply the patch, simply make sure you're signed into your consoles respected online services with a valid username before booting up the game. Both the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions will update automatically.

Cheers

R* Support

MMaRsu said:
Has anyone encountered this when entering multiplayer?

You first go into free roam automatically, but when I find a public game it says it got a connection error and will return me to free roam. However it just keeps loading forever, and I have to soft reboot the game :\.

Anyone? R* help?
I had the same problem. Turns out some settings on my router were reset and I had a closed NAT. Plugged straight into the modem and my problems disappeared.

Pandoracell said:
I don't mean shooting into them from outside, I mean can you draw a weapon while inside of the building? Like the saloons and such?

Yup, don't expect people to just go about their business though. Someone's likely to pull theirs out too. :D

Hunter Gather said:
Pirates used single shot muzzle loader guns and lots of melee (R* doesn't do very well)
Good point, but I don't care how realistic it is. I want to have adventures on the high seas, Wind Waker style!

And you know Rockstar would make some badass looking pirate ships. And gang implementation! Oh man. Please do it.

AKS

Can someone with a PS3 Slim and a kickass receiver with a 7.1 setup please tell me what is the max audio output of the PS3 version of RDR? It looks like it's trying to do 7.1, but I haven't noticed sound coming from the rear surrounds a la MGS4. Naturally there are no in-game oudio options to check like in the Uncharted games. I have a 60 GB Fat model, so my little display on my receiver isn't going to help much with this.

I wish everyone would just copy Naughty Dog's audio detection system and in-game options, which appear to be flawless.

I am sooooooooo f***ing sick of having to ask this every time a new PS3 game is released. They should label the audio specs of every PS3 game on the box the way they do Blu-ray movies.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Couldn't you compare Marston to being similar to Clint Eastwood's character in the film Unforgiven? Each of the two takes up their old way of life for one last mission.

Teknoman

Teknoman said:
Old?

Thanks for contacting R* Support

We have just deployed a fix that should address the issues some people have been experiencing in Red Dead Redemption online multiplayer. This fix should address a specific issue that was found where the player's multiplayer avatar, their horse or their weapons would occasionally not be visible in multiplayer games as well as an issue that some players were experiencing where they would lose connection to the various multiplayer modes."

To apply the patch, simply make sure you're signed into your consoles respected online services with a valid username before booting up the game. Both the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions will update automatically.

Cheers

R* Support

Guess the patch isnt up yet, but good news all the same.

AKS said:
Can someone with a PS3 Slim and a kickass receiver with a 7.1 setup please tell me what is the max audio output of the PS3 version of RDR? It looks like it's trying to do 7.1, but I haven't noticed sound coming from the rear surrounds a la MGS4. Naturally there are no in-game oudio options to check like in the Uncharted games. I have a 60 GB Fat model, so my little display on my receiver isn't going to help much with this.

I wish everyone would just copy Naughty Dog's audio detection system and in-game options, which appear to be flawless.

I am sooooooooo f***ing sick of having to ask this every time a new PS3 game is released. They should label the audio specs of every PS3 game on the box the way they do Blu-ray movies.

Unfortunately most PS3 games are 5.1 packed in a 7.1 container. Which means that if you have an actual 7.1 system you will end up with 2 channels of nothingness. Which really sucks because obviously all proper HDMI receivers have countless listening modes for matrixing 5.1 into 7.1.

Animal

Banned
sazabirules said:
Couldn't you compare Marston to being similar to Clint Eastwood's character in the film Unforgiven? Each of the two takes up their old way of life for one last mission.

thanks for the spoiler.

The Lamonster said:
Good point, but I don't care how realistic it is. I want to have adventures on the high seas, Wind Waker style!

And you know Rockstar would make some badass looking pirate ships. And gang implementation! Oh man. Please do it.
In the mean time you can always play sid meier's Pirates.

I'm absolutely loving the game, but does the plot feel a bit thin to anyone else? There's just not much that happens, there's no real story happening, the more interesting characters aren't fully developed, and (similar to GTA) the main character is forced by gameplay conventions into uncharacteristic/implausible scenarios.

I'm about an hour or 2 into Mexico, btw.

painey

I'm getting near the end and the story is finally moving.. I think this is probably the most tedious and slow paced story of any of the GTA-like games.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Animal said:
thanks for the spoiler.
He doesn't mean at the very end, you dolt. It's what the entire movie is about.

Jack Nicholson gets sent to a mental institution in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. Oh man, ruined it for you!

Bizzyb

Banned
itsinmyveins said:
What the hell -- you can't turn the golden guns off? Isn't there any data you can delete? I thought all the various bonus content would be optional and turned on/off through the menus.

I just came in here to ask that question. I wanted to unlock them but I do NOT want them on the entire time. This fucking blows if it's now golden guns forever.

aristotle

How many of PS3 are going to be forming up in a posse later to take down some of the devs? I know I'm in, but I don't seem to have most of the RDR PS3 crew in my friendslist. :(

thefil

Does this game have any co-op? I don't have time to to play it now but I think it would be fun to pick up with a friend down the road if we could go through the whole wild west plot together.

EviLore said:
The missions are going all shooting gallery, having me kill 50 guys each time, usually without any real reason for it, no consequences for it, and not particularly satisfying shooting involved with it. For example, at about 25% in, you're in bed with this West guy as he sells his elixir crap, the crowd turns on him for being a conman and you flee with him as the entire town gives chase, and you murder the entire population of the town as you're protecting him. This guy who just fell into your lap as part of the storyline and makes very little sense that Marsten is dealing with him at all.

The characters I'm forced to interact with on these vaguely relevant story missions are incredibly annoying. Sharply downhill after the Bonnie missions. And lately it's all of these characters droning on and on and dragging things out while Marsten whines and makes hollow threats. It cheapens him, and it's not interesting in the least.

Using fast travel more and more, now, since riding a horse through vast expanses of desert is nowhere near as interesting as, say, weaving through traffic.

Losing interest fast.

Wow? Losing interest fast? With the voice acting and thin ties to how these characters fit into the overall story I must wonder how you've ever finished any game ... ever unless it was a corridor shooter. Almost all games that are more than 10 hour corridors seem to have this 'problem' (quotes because I don't find it one at all) mainly because they are stretching a 25-50 hour story out without it becoming too contrived.

Even in ME2 there were characters that blew but the overall game was awesome.

I'm sorry about the fast travel thing too ... I'm on the end of the Armadillo missions (I think) and have only fast traveled once after about 14 hours in. I love the scenery and this is WAY more exciting than weaving through traffic which I've done in countless open-world games.

Sucks you don't get it or like it. It's truly a wonderful game.

PowderedToast said:
this is a shame, and exactly what i feared. GTAIV (and the episodes) had the exact same problem; contrived character motivations and poor mission design. doesn't sound like they tried to rectify it.

They did, it's wonderful. Try reading the thousands of posts that are praising it instead of the VERY minor few that aren't. Here, if you only like reading text by mods:
Amir0x said:
Wow Red Dead Redemption is fucking brilliant.

The atmosphere... riding through the desert as the sun sets, the way the horses shimmer in the sun, the horseback conversations.. it's so vivid.

I like pretty much everything I've done so far.

He seems to enjoy it.
Darklord said:
The GAF hype cycle never disappoints. I'll give it 6 months before this game is labeled as shit. :lol

While I can't deny hype trains that is literally like 2 posts out of a 200 page thread. So far the overwhelming and voiced opinion has been well above just 'liking' the game and I don't see this dying down as time goes on. Hell, I've grown to like it more as time goes on. It really is something special ... and unless West and Bonnie start calling me to play Horse Shoes 24/7 and hang out ... this love for the game will stay.

Darklord said:
This is the one thing I wish R* would change. Doing stuff like this has NO consequences. Killed a whole town? Slaughter a farmer animals then tied the farmer up and dragged him off a cliff? No worries, the character goes back to his good ol' ways in the next mission.

This game and all R* games should have a morality system by now. Hell, maybe even dialog trees and shit like that. At LEAST a good/bad ending so if you do gun down half a planet the game reacts someway to that.

I don't know why. It's a game, there can't be a consequence for EVERYTHING you do. I'd hate to have a morality system especially when you decide to kill a whole town you aren't doing it to progress story or further your game, you're just screwing around and then up pops an achievement or something randomly and you decide to save. I hate morality systems in games.

You have to overlook this because it IS a game, there is a certain storyline they are following and that you should too. Just because they allow you to do things outside of the story arc doesn't mean they should completely accommodate every single outcome of a situation. I'd fucking loathe if I accidentally shot a shopkeeper that I could never go back to him because he's dead.

CAW

thefil said:
Does this game have any co-op? I don't have time to to play it now but I think it would be fun to pick up with a friend down the road if we could go through the whole wild west plot together.
There's a card that came in the game case that said "Co-op Mission Pack, coming soon". DLC.

Zeliard

RDR has by a large margin the greatest gunplay I've experienced in a game. Simply exceptional. Nothing even comes close. Sorry F.E.A.R., but your crown has been removed.

Goldrusher

thefil said:
Read the OP, junior. Co-op is coming in a free DLC pack sometime in June.

Thus far the game is amazing. I really really like the whole style, from graphics, over interaction to the soundtrack.

I was so sad, when a man called me for help because some bad guys wanted to hang his friend. I wasn't fast enough (or just forgot the Dead Eye) and couldn't shoot him off the rope. It was horrible when the guy went down to his knees and started sobbing next to his dead friend. :(

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Gary Whitta said:
I love the brutal animations you get when you shoot someone point-blank.

I first discovered this last night when I was showing the game off to my friend. While I was wandering about in the wilderness I came upon a bandit camp hideout and decided to try and get the jump on them. I climbed up a ladder that I found in the back of the small building and started shooting them from on top of the building. One of them rushed out from inside the building to see what was going on and I jumped down from the roof, landed right next to him and quickly tried to shoot him at point-blank range. Much to my delight I was treated to an absolutely awesome execution animation where John Marston pretty much slammed his repeater under the bandit's chin and pulled the trigger.

I am really, really enjoying this game. It is definitely GOTY material in my book. I spent like 3 - 4 hours last night screwing around and playing Texas Holdem, hunting, doing bounties and just wandering about in the wilderness. I've barely advanced the main story at all, but I'm sure I'll get around to it this weekend. I just love the atmosphere in this game!

owlbeak

sazabirules said:
I'm going to attempt to get the Hit the Trail trophy right now. I wonder if I have to start in Blackwater when the sun is up or anytime after sundown.
Got it the other night. I started in Blackwater in the middle of town and rode out at 6am, right when the sun peaks over the horizon. It's a beautiful and scenic ride, though I'd recommend not following the red line on your map if you drop a waypoint and instead cut south near that
boat wreckage
and move a little further past that and take the train bridge, that'll put you in Mexico in about 5 minutes then it's pretty much a straight shot. Follow the train tracks west until they cut north over the water and back into the states. Then just continue west.

I was a little disappointed in this achievement, as I thought it'd be hard to do! But like I said I started at 6am in-game time and was in Escalera by 9:30am game time. Took about 20-25 minutes IRL.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Horsebite said:
Got it the other night. I started in Blackwater in the middle of town and rode out at 6am, right when the sun peaks over the horizon. It's a beautiful and scenic ride, though I'd recommend not following the red line on your map if you drop a waypoint and instead cut south near that
boat wreckage
and move a little further past that and take the train bridge, that'll put you in Mexico in about 5 minutes then it's pretty much a straight shot. Follow the train tracks west until they cut north over the water and back into the states. Then just continue east.

I was a little disappointed in this achievement, as I thought it'd be hard to do! But like I said I started at 6am in-game time and was in Escalera by 9:30am game time. Took about 20-25 minutes IRL.

I followed the red line and I still had plenty of extra time to make it. I realized like you said that the waypoint wasn't the best way to get to Mexico. I also thought it would be harder. I don't even know how to check the time in game.

Dizzle24

So im hunting for wild boar tusks for a hunting challenge and besides being continuously mauled by the fucking cougars of death, i just stumbled across a woman kneeling and crying besides her dead husband, and as i got off my horse to check it out, she shot herself in the head and fell over next to him. I said WTF out loud.

owlbeak

sazabirules said:
I followed the red line and I still had plenty of extra time to make it. I realized like you said that the waypoint wasn't the best way to get to Mexico. I also thought it would be harder. I don't even know how to check the time in game.
Press start and there'll be a pocket watch in the top right corner of the screen, also shows you what day it is in-game. :D

JoeBoy101

sazabirules said:

When you pause, check the timepiece in the top right. :D

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
criesofthepast said:
I feel horrible.

Just killed a man playing fetch with his dog. Yeah, I killed the dog too.

Don't feel too bad. Last night I was walking around Armadillo and some guy comes up to me on his horse and asks me to help him rescue his wife who was abducted by villains. I quickly mount up and we charge off into the wilderness where we find a couple of goons about to hang his wife. The tutorial told me to shoot the rope to set his wife free, but I thought the first order of business would be to kill the bandits. After disposing of them I carefully tried to shoot the rope (I kept trying to shoot the part of the rope that was tied to the tree), but apparently I took too long and she died. The poor husband came charging up on his horse, and for some reason I mistook him for a bandit and shot him dead.

I felt really bad after that little episode. That didn't stop me from looting everyone's corpses, though!

Zefah said:
Don't feel too bad. Last night I was walking around Armadillo and some guy comes up to me on his horse and asks me to help him rescue his wife who was abducted by villains. I quickly mount up and we charge off into the wilderness where we find a couple of goons about to hang his wife. The tutorial told me to shoot the rope to set his wife free, but I thought the first order of business would be to kill the bandits. After disposing of them I carefully tried to shoot the rope (I kept trying to shoot the part of the rope that was tied to the tree), but apparently I took too long and she died. The poor husband came charging up on his horse, and for some reason I mistook him for a bandit and shot him dead.

I felt really bad after that little episode. That didn't stop me from looting everyone's corpses, though!
Well, at least the poor bastard and his wife are with each other now. You did the poor ol' fella a favor.

Top Bottom