• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Mr. Sam

pr0cs said:
In general you really have to be careful drawing or using any weapon. The AI will very easily think you're attacking them.

Saved a prostitute from a knife-wielding bandit by capping him in the head
. Needless to say, it ended in a firefight with the entire fucking town, me sniping from a roof, screaming "I was just tryin' ta help!" as I mowed down countless law men.

Emitan

Mr. Sam said:
Saved a prostitute from a knife-wielding bandit by capping him in the head. Needless to say, it ended in a firefight with the entire fucking town, me sniping from a roof, screaming, "I was just tryin' ta help!" as I mowed down countless law men.
Always hogite. Always. If you're ever fighting one guy, go for the hogite. The AI is way too strict.

Edgeward

That's weird then it seems less likely for the town not to react and just have the girl thank you after saving her from knifey mcstabby like it did for me. =\

Mr. Sam

Edgeward said:
That's weird then it seems less likely for the town not to react and just have the girl thank you after saving her from knifey mcstabby like it did for me. =\

Well, a guy started shooting me immediately afterward and so I assumed he was an accomplice so, yeah, he didn't live long. Then everyone started pulling out their guns.

Emitan

What's worse is when normal people on horses just wander into firefights. I assume they're hostile and kill them and then I'm wanted.

Billychu said:
Always hogite. Always. If you're ever fighting one guy, go for the hogite. The AI is way too strict.

How do you even do that? I tried everything. Shot them in the foot, the hand, leg, beat them up. But everytime I just killed them. Or is it too early for me, because I don't have the lasso, yet?

Emitan

Patrick Bateman said:
How do you even do that? I tried everything. Shot them in the foot, the hand, leg, beat them up. But everytime I just killed them. Or is it too early for me, because I don't have the lasso, yet?
Do Bonnie's missions. She only has about 5 or 6 of them and they're easy. You get the lasso when you do the third or fourth one.

pr0cs

Billychu said:
You also need to be careful who you're attacking..

Yeah well, in my instance it was die by the wolves or die by the lawmen.
The AI should be improved in that if you're already being attacked by something they should give some grace in your actions, especially with melee. I mean if I hit one of the lawmen with my knife I would have expected to have them pissed but they were a good 20-30 feet from me but still thought I was attacking them.

I would have loved to use the lasso but likely 1) you can't lasso wolves 2) there were multiple wolves

In general the lasso is pretty situational. 1 on 1 or 2 on 1 is probably doable, anything else it's useless due to the time it takes to hogtie the enemy and that it leaves you out in the open.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Night before last I spent 1.5 hours, at least, playing poker at MacFarlane's Ranch. I need help, GAF. An intervention or something.

The worst of it is, I'm a poker newbie and ended up losing to the last guy at the table other than me, after I went all-in with 2 queens and 2 7's, and he ended up having a straight or some such!

Emitan

Diseased Yak said:
Night before last I spent 1.5 hours, at least, playing poker at MacFarlane's Ranch. I need help, GAF. An intervention or something.

The worst of it is, I'm a poker newbie and ended up losing to the last guy at the table other than me, after I went all-in with 2 queens and 2 7's, and he ended up having a straight or some such!
I swear everyone cheats at Blackjack at Thieves' Landing. The deal and this one guy at the table got a 20 or 21 every round. So I knocked the dealer unconscious and just left the saloon. No one stopped me. Maybe they were happy he got what he deserved.

Wiggum2007

pr0cs said:
Yeah well, in my instance it was die by the wolves or die by the lawmen.
The AI should be improved in that if you're already being attacked by something they should give some grace in your actions, especially with melee. I mean if I hit one of the lawmen with my knife I would have expected to have them pissed but they were a good 20-30 feet from me but still thought I was attacking them.

I also hate how playing on normal you'll pull out your gun and the reticle will snap-to a guy even if he wasn't anywhere near the center of the screen, often making them hostile.

pr0cs

Wiggum2007 said:
I also hate how playing on normal you'll pull out your gun and the reticle will snap-to a guy even if he wasn't anywhere near the center of the screen, often making them hostile.
yeah I went to expert aiming last night, much better experience for me. attacked or made hostile too many people by accident with the goofy snap-to of regular aiming.

DaFish

Diseased Yak said:

www.pokerstars.com

Tried to join a gang match and got kicked from votes, nice. Not sure about that design choice. As I speak the game has frozen up going from that back to free roam.

Emitan

Gary Whitta said:
Holy shit, he got an achievement for that! I gotta do that later :lol

When do I get to rob a bank?
I noticed that the big safe in Bonnie's ranch is crackable. So whenever you want, I guess.

Hahaha, that's fucking awesome! :lol

I just got this today, and I'm loving it so far, although I've found a few things to be a bit fiddly, and have a few questions:

1) I just failed a stranger's request. How do I start it again? I went back to where I originally received it, but the guy who gave it to me isn't there anymore. Also, it just lists the request as failed in my journal. Do you only get one chance?

2) My first two strangers requests involved finding somebody, but all I found was a bloodstained patch of land, where I apparently "found no clues" as to their whereabouts. What do I do from here? Surely that's not the requests done, is it? Are there more to them later?

3) Are there dedicated save points in each town? Right now I'm having to leave town just to set up a camp, which is a pain in the ass.

Thanks.

Strawman

Mr. Sam said:
My local GAME, Gamestation and HMV were all out of stock of the PS3 version. Fortunately, it was the 360 version I was out for.

I suck so much ass at Five Finger Fillet. How is that even possible?

Not a good sign, cheers for the info!

Emitan

Ben2749 said:
2) My first two strangers requests involved finding somebody, but all I found was a bloodstained patch of land, where I apparently "found no clues" as to their whereabouts. What do I do from here? Surely that's not the requests done, is it? Are there more to them later?
I think there's an area marked on your map that's the next part of the quest. I've only done what you have on it, so I'm not sure.

Ben2749 said:
3) Are there dedicated save points in each town? Right now I'm having to leave town just to set up a camp, which is a pain in the ass.
If you buy a room in town you can sleep there.

kaskade

So this is my proof to myself of how awesome this game is. I'm just shy of 20 hours playtime. I'm about to go to fot mercer(I think).

I got the game tuesday at about 6pm. Played it that night and most of wednesday. Thursday I was busy with work and some other stuff so I only played a little bit during the day. I have never ever dedicated so much time to a game in such a short span. I almost dedicated a full day out of three playing this game. :lol

Sorry ME2, I think Red Dead has my heart.

Emitan

Dresden said:
So is anyone else just sticking to single player for now? I want to finish the story before going online.
I'm sticking to single player until one of my friends gets the game so we can do Free Mode.

Small complaint but I wish they included a setup for the girl with a broken carriage that didn't involve getting ambushed. I've run into 3-4 of those so far and at this point I know to just shoot the ambushers first.

Emitan

Gully State said:
Small complaint but I wish they included a setup for the girl with a broken carriage that didn't involve getting ambushed. I've run into 3-4 of those so far and at this point I know to just shoot the ambushers first.
The first time I ran into one, I could see the mean crouching the grass so I didn't fall for it.

I'm waiting for the moment Roman decides to call me. Asshole.

Awesome, the stranger request that I failed seems to have reactivated itself automatically. I had to go to some guy's house and convince him to sell it, but I accidentally pulled my gun, and he told me to get out of there. The purple marker is back there now though, so maybe you have to wait until the following day when you fail a stranger request.

Odrion

Banned
Billychu said:
I think each dollar amount has it's own pattern so if you memorize the pattern, it's easy.
Doing it three times in a row with a short time limit? Fuuuuuck no.

Also I swear that each NPC that plays poker with you has a different habit, and yeah all I did for the first five or so hours was poker and bounty missions to pay for the poker. :p

The main character runs like an r-word.org in this game.

Emitan

Ben2749 said:
If I get a letter delivered to me in the middle of the wilderness talking about "BEEEG MEXICAN ASSES" I'm shooting the guy's horse, hogtieing him, and leaving him for the wolves.

Chrange

Banned
Ben2749 said:

Awesome, the stranger request that I failed seems to have reactivated itself automatically. I had to go to some guy's house and convince him to sell it, but I accidentally pulled my gun, and he told me to get out of there. The purple marker is back there now though, so maybe you have to wait until the following day when you fail a stranger request.
I had something strange happen with that one, if it's the one I'm thinking of.
I bought the deed, paying cash for it instead of killing him. I didn't hurt him at all, though I admit I pulled my gun and aimed it at him as he walked away, briefly considering getting my money back :lol

Went to the guy who wanted the land and he freaked out a little about me killing the guy. Confused the hell out of me.

Gully State said:
I love those encounters. First time I killed all the ambushers and then let the woman beg for her life for a few moments before I put a bullet in her head. Next time I'm going to hogtie her and take her out to coyote country or leave her on the train tracks.

Emitan

Chrange said:
I had something strange happen with that one, if it's the one I'm thinking of.
I bought the deed, paying cash for it instead of killing him. I didn't hurt him at all, though I admit I pulled my gun and aimed it at him as he walked away, briefly considering getting my money back :lol

Went to the guy who wanted the land and he freaked out a little about me killing the guy. Confused the hell out of me.
I hogtied him. The guy still thought he was dead.

Hate to keep sounding negative but WTF is with the notification boxes flashing instantly and disappearing, I know I am unlocking shit but you don't know what it is. Frustrating.

The hell? Some asshole tried to steal my horse, and I became wanted and lost 50 honour points for shooting him.

It wasn't an "event" where somebody hails you and then steals it or anything. I had just got off my horse to kill and skin an animal, and then I noticed he got on my horse. I whistled, and it bucked him off, but he got back on again and tried to ride off.

Fuck, this is one of those games that calls to you all fucking day from the next room, beckoning you to come play it. Work today is brutal!

Odrion

Banned
can't wait for the 2011 denzel washington movie with the scene where he looks longingly at his powered off 360, wishing that the plot would resolve itself

The Euphoria physics in this game are amazing. They were kind of fun in GTA4 in a sort of new technology sort of way, but in this game it looks fucking BRUTAL.

I'd like to play more, but playing GTA4 in anticipation backfired, I ended up getting hooked and I picked up 400 or so worth of achievement points in vanilla GTA4, beaten L&D, and almost done with Gay Tony. I'm afraid I'm burnt out on open world games right now. Don't regret it, it reminded me how good GTA4 was and that maybe my backlash against it was a little harsh. Yeah it does refuse to do anything over-the-top and the third act of the game is dull as fuuuuck, but the world is amazing and the game's immersion gives it a feel that no other open world games managed to accomplish yet. Lost & the Damned is a great example of taking an existing world and turning it into something really fresh, and Gay Tony is the third act that GTA4 should of been. (Seriously, play GTA4 up until the bank robbery and switch to Gay Tony after that. It feels like a MUCH better progression of the game. Weird enough, that's exactly where Gay Tony begins.) Rockstar may abuse it's employees, but they sure now how to make fucking incredible games. :lol

Maybe the linearity of Alan Wake will cleanse the palliate and get myself ready for some more open world wrangling.

anddo0

Random event; I was treasure hunting near a river when
I saw a guy sobbing over his dead friend, he then pulls out a bottle, takes a sip then rolls over and dies
wtf?:lol

Zeliard

Odrion said:
The Euphoria physics in this game are amazing. They were kind of fun in GTA4 in a sort of new technology sort of way, but in this game it looks fucking BRUTAL.

Yep. That combined with the sound makes for the most satisfying gunplay I've experienced in a game. Cool blood effects as well.

Kolgar

Odrion said:

I'd like to play more, but playing GTA4 in anticipation backfired, I ended up getting hooked and I picked up 400 or so worth of achievement points in vanilla GTA4, beaten L&D, and almost done with Gay Tony. I'm afraid I'm burnt out on open world games right now. Don't regret it, it reminded me how good GTA4 was and that maybe my backlash against it was a little harsh. Lost & the Damned is a great example of taking an existing world and turning it into something really fresh, and Gay Tony is the third act that GTA4 should of been. (Seriously, play GTA4 up until the bank robbery and switch to Gay Tony after that. It feels like a MUCH better progression of the game.) Rockstar may abuse it's employees, but they sure now how to make fucking incredible games. :lol

Maybe the linearity of Alan Wake will cleanse the palliate and get myself ready for some more open world wrangling.

Haha! Awesome, I just finished TLAD a moment ago, having promised myself I'd do so before picking up RDR. It's amazing stuff. Now I'm just about to drop some space bucks for Gay Tony because it looked freaking fantastic in the Gametrailers review.

Looks like RDR will have to wait a bit, but this is one game I will definitely play.

aristotle

zero margin said:
Hate to keep sounding negative but WTF is with the notification boxes flashing instantly and disappearing, I know I am unlocking shit but you don't know what it is. Frustrating.

Check the journal. It should have the texts in there of what was said.

Haven't felt this way about a game in years. YEARS. I'm at work all day thinking about how all I want to do is play Red Dead Redemption. It's fucking fantastic. I played from 10pm til 4:30 am last night. Work today has sucked, I almost called in sick :lol

FrankT

Gary Whitta said:
Fuck, this is one of those games that calls to you all fucking day from the next room, beckoning you to come play it. Work today is brutal!

No question about it. I've got about 30 hours plus so far and I'm 50% through the story. I only pushed it up that far so I could do some proper Elk hunting. However with all the things I want to get done I could easily see 100+ hours in this game first run I'm thinking and that's just single player. I put about 50 or so in GTA first run single player to contrast.

anddo0

aristotle said:
Check the journal. It should have the texts in there of what was said.

what he said

This game moves at a blistering pace. I've found my self looking at the briefs more often than any other R* game to date.

BeeDog

Alright, I've played for around 2 hours or so. This game is motherfucking AWESOME. First impressions are sooooooo much better than GTA4, and I really liked GTA4! The Euphoria engine really makes the gun combat so much fun this time around along with the improved aiming controls and cover system. On top of that, the sound effects are pretty fucking swell; the gun controls sound awesomely powerful, and blowing up a TNT crate the first time scared the bejesus out of me. :lol

Only negative so far (aside from the graphical shortcomings of the PS3 version) is that the dialogue is in such low bitrate. I would've hoped they'd use the Bluray space to take it up a notch, since some dialogue sounds outright awful.

Top Bottom