• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

aristotle

ok how do I get a nun to show up? I'm almost maxed in my honor positively, but none have shown up for me.

Gary Whitta said:
I can't find it earlier in the thread, what's the tip for adjusting graphics settings to make the game look better?

1-3 notches up for saturation and contrast. I went with 2 for both.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Gary Whitta said:
I can't find it earlier in the thread, what's the tip for adjusting graphics settings to make the game look better?

For ps3 bump up the contrast and sat by 2 brightness by 1

Zeliard

Contrast and Saturation up 2 notches (for 360 at least).

Game looks considerably better after that. It was the exact same thing with GTAIV.

You may have to experiment depending on your television.

Wiggum2007

I propose that horse speed in combat scenarios, from just a slow walk up to running, should be controlled by how far you push the left thumbstick. Just like it is in on foot combat right now, out of combat you have to hold A to run, in combat you run with left analog. You would still have to tap A to get the fastest horse sprint possible, but it would at least let you keep up a good pace in your horse while shooting, without having to stop aiming to tap A to keep your horse from stopping. I just don't get why R* went with such an awkward control scheme for fighting on-horse.

And I tried upping saturation and contrast but actually reverted it back to default, I thought the borderline washed-out look actually fit the game better, being a Western and all. Though I suppose it could just be because when I tested it it was sunset and the bright pink and orange almost made my eyes bleed. :lol

anddo0

aristotle said:
ok how do I get a nun to show up? I'm almost maxed in my honor positively, but none have shown up for me.

Chill around town after completing a mission or random event. I've been approached 4 times, all during day light.

owlbeak

Wiggum2007 said:
I propose that horse speed in combat scenarios, from just a slow walk up to running, should be controlled by how far you push the left thumbstick. Just like it is in on foot combat right now, out of combat you have to hold A to run, in combat you run with left analog. You would still have to tap A to get the fastest horse sprint possible, but it would at least let you keep up a good pace in your horse while shooting, without having to stop aiming to tap A to keep your horse from stopping. I just don't get why R* went with such an awkward control scheme for fighting on-horse.
The game desperately needs a "cruise control" mode where when you aim (LT) with a gun while on your horse, your horse continues at whatever pace it was going without slowing down, until you release LT.

aristotle

anddo0 said:
Chill around town after completing a mission or random event. I've been approached 4 times, all during day light.

Cool thanks. I'll have to try that. I'm usually always on the move so I haven't loitered around anywhere for very long. I need to get the cross then the dastardly trophy ;)

JoeBoy101

Ben2749 said:
Hahaha, that's fucking awesome! :lol

I just got this today, and I'm loving it so far, although I've found a few things to be a bit fiddly, and have a few questions:

2) My first two strangers requests involved finding somebody, but all I found was a bloodstained patch of land, where I apparently "found no clues" as to their whereabouts. What do I do from here? Surely that's not the requests done, is it? Are there more to them later?

Patience, Kemosabe, Patience. Just keeping doing them. It will get wrapped up.

Ben2749 said:
3) Are there dedicated save points in each town? Right now I'm having to leave town just to set up a camp, which is a pain in the ass.

Thanks.

For you, and for anyone else starting the game and the single player, FINISH BONNIE'S MISSIONS FIRST! Its never said and wound very nicely into the story, but all of Bonnie's first missions are the tutorial, teaching everything from horse riding, herding, lassoing, etc. Though Armadillo and Marshall Johnson's missions open up before you finish the tutorial missions, head back to McFarlane Ranch and do the missions from Bonnie until she has no more.

Wiggum2007

Horsebite said:
The game desperately needs a "cruise control" mode where when you aim (LT) with a gun while on your horse, your horse continues at whatever pace it was going without slowing down, until you release LT.

Yeah that actually seems like it would work at least as well as what I proposed. You'd think Rockstar would have figured out that something like this was needed when they were playtesting. I wonder if there's even a remote chance that something like this could be patched in?

Zeliard

Horsebite said:

I think they just expect you to use Dead Eye when you're on a horse.

I needed to get somewhere, but decided to take a shortcut by making my way down a really tall and steep cliff. When I got to the bottom, I whistled my horse, hoping it was far enough away that it would "respawn" and run to me from somewhere nearby. Unfortunately, it decided to run off the cliff, and it died. It was hilarious, but also sad. :-(

It said I needed to wait a while before I could whistle for another horse, and after a minute, I did so and another one turned up, but do "stats" carry over to this new one? It looks as though it's stamina bar is full, but the horse looks physically different.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Gully State said:
Small complaint but I wish they included a setup for the girl with a broken carriage that didn't involve getting ambushed.
They did.

My main problem with the game is that the main mission-givers just basically stop existing in the game world once they've fulfilled their part in driving the story forward. Go back to Bonnie's place and it's locked up, go back to Armadillo and you'll never see the Sheriff or his deputies, you'll never happen upon West travelling or selling his wares, etc. It would be nice if these folks could still be spotted in the wild and if they had a few surplus jobs to give you, even if they were just slight variations on the ambient missions you find in the wild.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Gary Whitta said:
i have the contrast and saturation +1 and brightness default. since there's no greyscale bar i just used the menu colors as a guide. i went for the most vibrant shade of red without making it look more scarlet than red, and the default brightness should be fine if your tv's black levels are calibrated.

Dude Abides

Banned
Ben2749 said:
I needed to get somewhere, but decided to take a shortcut by making my way down a really tall and steep cliff. When I got to the bottom, I whistled my horse, hoping it was far enough away that it would "respawn" and run to me from somewhere nearby. Unfortunately, it decided to run off the cliff, and it died. It was hilarious, but also sad. :-(

It said I needed to wait a while before I could whistle for another horse, and after a minute, I did so and another one turned up, but do "stats" carry over to this new one? It looks as though it's stamina bar is full, but the horse looks physically different.

No, stats don't carry over. You must earn his love.

syllogism

Five finger fillet is really easy if you write down the pattern and stare at it instead of the screen. You can do the $100 pattern in less than a minute and never fail.

Can someone explain how I am supposed to get scrap 5 for the Bollard Twins outfit? I have been wandering around Hennigan's Stead/MacFarlane's ranch for a while and I can't find the people that I am supposed to get rid of.

aristotle

Antdogg355 said:
Can someone explain how I am supposed to get scrap 5 for the Bollard Twins outfit? I have been wandering around Hennigan's Stead/MacFarlane's ranch for a while and I can't find the people that I am supposed to get rid of.

I got mine doing a nighttime thing. Caught someone breaking in with the dog by my side ;)

JoeBoy101

Antdogg355 said:

I did mine when I got ambushed by some of thugs from the gang. I think doing a bounty for a member of the gang also counts.

aristotle said:
I got mine doing a nighttime thing. Caught someone breaking in with the dog by my side ;)

JoeBoy101 said:
I did mine when I got ambushed by some of thugs from the gang. I think doing a bounty for a member of the gang also counts.

Thanks both of you for the help. I had no idea there were more than one way to acquire these things.

syllogism said:
Five finger fillet is really easy if you write down the pattern and stare at it instead of the screen. You can do the $100 pattern in less than a minute and never fail.
I must be an idiot because I keep failing even when the pattern is just A-A-A-A-A-A-A-A :lol

I guess just hammering the A button doesn't work, is there some particular timing method I need to employ?

Gravijah

syllogism said:

I never fail anyways since the 100 dollar pattern is always the same, it's easy as heck.

Gary Whitta said:
I must be an idiot because I keep failing even when the pattern is just A-A-A-A-A-A-A-A :lol

I guess just hammering the A button doesn't work, is there some particular timing method I need to employ?

Huh? Is it ever just A? I thought the lowest was A B A B A B A B... As for timing, I don't think it matters, but try to mimic what the person before you did.

Early game Question GAF:
I'm doing the mission for Seth where you go and get the map from Moses. I caught him tied him up and took him to Seth. He then told Seth where the map was, and now I'm about to leave with him. But Moses is still there tied up on the ground. It won't let you take him with you... so what happens if I kill/cut free/leave him there?

Gravijah said:
I never fail anyways since the 100 dollar pattern is always the same, it's easy as heck.

Huh? Is it ever just A? I thought the lowest was A B A B A B A B
Pretty sure the $1 version is just all AAAAAAA.

owlbeak

Haunted said:
Euphoria needs to be in every shooter. Other enemy reactions will feel inadequate in the future, I'm sure.
There's a football game coming out for XBL called Backbreaker that uses Euphoria physics instead of animations. It looks awesome, check it out on youtube.

Haunted said:
Euphoria needs to be in every shooter. Other enemy reactions will feel inadequate in the future, I'm sure.

I agree to an extent, but if I shotgun someone from a few centimetres away then I'd prefer to see their head explode, i.e. Gears of War, than the euphoria outcome.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Gary Whitta said:
Any good tips on easiest ways to generate a lot of $$$$?

Loot everyone you kill. I usually get about 4 bucks a body. Also I hear the 5 finger filet is another way but I see you are having some trouble with that.

BeeDog

I feel retarded already, since I didn't pay too much attention during the duel tutorial :lol ; could someone repeat the controls for me (PS3)? Thanks.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Gary Whitta said:

Don't kill anyone, thief, night watch job, bounties .. capture all targets alive.

Also, I just had one of those crazy RDR stories ..

So I was horse backing across the expanse and ran into a broken prison carriage in the middle of the road, there was an injured guard yelling at me to capture the prisoners, one was a bit close, the other was far away. I shot the closer one and ran after the farther one and roped him in alive, took him back to the guard and place the roped prisoner at his feet. Guard says thank you and hands me the money. I get on my horse and start riding away when I hear a single gun shot behind me, I quickly turn around to see the roped prisoner bleeding out of his head and the injured guard limping away laughing.

An audible "What the fuck" later I was on my way.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
chandoog said:
Don't kill anyone, thief, night watch job, bounties .. capture all targets alive.

Also, I just had one of those crazy RDR stories ..

So I was horse backing across the expanse and ran into a broken prison carriage in the middle of the road, there was an injured guard yelling at me to capture the prisoners, one was a bit close, the other was far away. I shot the closer one and ran after the farther one and roped him in alive, took him back to the guard and place the roped prisoner at his feet. Guard says thank you and hands me the money. I get on my horse and start riding away when I hear a single gun shot behind me, I quickly turn around to see the roped prisoner bleeding out of his head and the injured guard limping away laughing.

An audible "What the fuck" later I was on my way.

Hah, same exact thing happened to me yesterday.

Fucking love this game.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Gary Whitta said:
Just do stuff as it pops up and skin some critters here and there. It may be slow going to begin with, but once you've got a bit of game time under your belt you'll have enough to afford anything you will want, and then some. The gambling minigames take too long for too little reward, so I'd advise against trying to grind money from those.

Barrett2

Anyone else rarely use dead eye? Outside of large gunfights in missions, i never use it when roaming, hunting, or one-on-one encounters.

PS3 version is not to be found anywhere in my city. i searched for hours, went through supermarkets and shit.

and i noticed a crack in my MW2 disc that i was supposed to trade in for RDR. i'm shit out of luck today.

i was also today told i won't have work next month even though i was supposed to. :E :EEEEEEE

god-fucking-damnit.

Zeliard

lawblob said:
Anyone else rarely use dead eye? Outside of large gunfights in missions, i never use it when roaming, hunting, or one-on-one encounters.

I rarely use it. In fact, for the first few hours I played, I forgot it was even there.

RbBrdMan said:
Loot everyone you kill. I usually get about 4 bucks a body. Also I hear the 5 finger filet is another way but I see you are having some trouble with that.
I really need to try again and practice the timing. It's quite distressing to me how shitty I've gotten at games as I've grown older.

How do you bring in a live bounty? I've been wandering around with him for awhile now - but whenever I bring him to a jail (armadillo and the ranch) nothing happens and/or the sherriffs go all hostile and yell at some invisible dude. Is it a bug? I dont really wanna shoot the bandit...

Merovin

Coming through town on my way home, PS3 version is sold out everywhere. Thank god for pre-orders! Just been playing it, loving the game. Just spent about 2 hours absorbed in a game of Texas Hold 'em. I can see my life disappearing to this game.

JoeBoy101

Gary Whitta said:

Hunt. Armadillos are good money, wolves are great ($13 a pelt if I remember, and you get hearts and meat to sell). Birds are good. Coyotes are okay. Skip rabbits and especially horses.

Bounties are great because you can get a never-ending flow of fools in your crosshairs. (Make sure you buy that Rabbit Foot) :D

And the night guard missions at McFarlane's are good because they are quick, easy, and you don't have to travel.

Top Bottom