• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

cluto

How do I get my horse to stop moving, or at least stop following me? I'm sick of it running out into gunfights and instantly dying.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Dizzle24 said:
So im hunting for wild boar tusks for a hunting challenge and besides being continuously mauled by the fucking cougars of death, i just stumbled across a woman kneeling and crying besides her dead husband, and as i got off my horse to check it out, she shot herself in the head and fell over next to him. I said WTF out loud.
This happened to me right as I came up beside her to see if there was a talk prompt. When she shot herself, a bunch of blood splattered all over the 'camera'. Kinda gave it even more weight.

Things go bad so quickly in this game, every time I try to help someone I just make things worse :lol

I walked out of the saloon in Thieves Landing last night, admittedly I was in a pissy mood because I'd just got taken at Liar's Dice. Right outside the front steps there's a guy who's got a woman on the ground trying to knife her. I shot the guy which you think would be the right thing to do but that just started someone else shooting at me and the next thing you know it's an all-out war. I wound up killing just about everybody in the whole town - unlike GTA you can really go on some serious killing sprees without the law coming after you because certain parts of the world, like TL, appear to be utterly lawless.

I also spent way too much time playing Blackjack last night. It seems kinda dumb to pay $60 for a massive sandbox game and then spent a ton of time playing a sub-game that I could as easily get in a Flash browser or on my iPhone but the ambient dialog and other stuff going on in the background really makes you feel like you're still in the world and actually at the table.

Zeliard

Yeah, it adds a nice twist to typical card-playing video games when you can stand your character up and shoot one of the players in the face. :p

Tiktaalik

I played for the first few hours last night. The game is really beautiful and extremely polished, but I can't help but feel that it's a bit by the book. It's like western devs have figured out what does well and what sells, and are mechanically reproducing that exact same formula, going down the list and ticking off the features. Especially with this game and with the Hauser's involvement you feel like they were there making sure that this was like GTA and that was like GTA. It ends up making it so that a bit of the flavour is gone.

That sounds really negative but It's not really like a negative, It's just something I noticed. I'm actually really enjoying the game so far. There's lots to do and see, beautiful presentations and good shooting gameplay. I even got a ringer in horseshoes at the ranch, which made my evening. I only bring up the formulaicness because on a gameplay level I wasn't surprised by anything. I'd done it all before. If the game is able to surprise me in the story/setting/setpiece/level design area then it'll likely make up for that. It probably will.

On a final aside I really like the way they've handled horse riding, being able to match up speeds with a companion, but I really dislike the way they've handled hand to hand combat controls. Is it really that you enter that circle menu and select "the punches?" That seems really bad and I feel I must be missing something. I noticed that pressing the right trigger next to dogs and chickens will kick them, but next to a person it'll just push them.

JoeBoy101

Gary Whitta said:
Things go bad so quickly in this game, every time I try to help someone I just make things worse :lol

I walked out of the saloon in Thieves Landing last night, admittedly I was in a pissy mood because I'd just got taken at Liar's Dice. Right outside the front steps there's a guy who's got a woman on the ground trying to knife her. I shot the guy which you think would be the right thing to do but that just started someone else shooting at me and the next thing you know it's an all-out war. I wound up killing just about everybody in the whole town - unlike GTA you can really go on some serious killing sprees without the law coming after you because certain parts of the world, like TL, appear to be utterly lawless.

I also spent way too much time playing Blackjack last night. It seems kinda dumb to pay $60 for a massive sandbox game and then spent a ton of time playing a sub-game that I could as easily get in a Flash browser on on my iPhone but the ambient dialog and other stuff going on in the background really makes you feel like you're still in the world and actually at the table.

Hey, money in this game matters as it can get you more things than on a iPhone game. BTW, doesn't Flash not work on iPhones?

I've also had incidences of doing good things and people opening up on me after shooting. Playing the good guy angle, I just book it for a minute or two. Soon as I come back, everybody is calmed down and cool.

eznark

Banned
Finally got into a full "shootout" mode in multiplayer, it was a ton of fun. A lot more fun than free-roam has been, since in free roam it's just everyone killing each other

CAW

Train question:

Train seems to stop and get stuck at Casa Madrugada. Stuck as in won't leave that location. I've tried restarting, reloading an older save, nothing seems to work.

Anyone else having this issue?

reminder

Long weekend here and RDR is sold out everywhere in my city... :( Ordered it online now. Should've done that first, i wanted to play the game so bad this weekend... fuck =(

JoeBoy101

reminder said:
Long weekend here and RDR is sold out everywhere in my city... :( Ordered it online now. Should've done that first, i wanted to play the game so bad this weekend... fuck =(

If it makes you feel better, sounds like your not the only one. Sounds like this hit bigger than many were expecting.

Lostconfused said:
Which is why I guess I like it. Because I am playing this game like a good guy. Heck even the missions you get don't have you doing anything absolutely terrible or criminal.

I got a little disillusioned with the story when it was revealed how naive John was during the Mexico missions. Somewhat major spoiler:
I couldn't believe the mission where Allende and De Santa said they captured Williamson and Escuela and John took the bait like a chump. All his empty "YOUD BEST BE NOT LYING TO ME" threats were just lulz
For a former outlaw, he sure is easy to convince. As I said earlier in the thread, I hoped John would've been a more Man With No Name character, a stone-cold morally ambiguous loner. But instead we have a guy who bears more similarity to Naked Snake in MGS3.

Gary's right, things can go badly in a quick hurry:

I decided to ride a train around to relax for a minute after an intense mission. I'm sitting there until I realize I can get up and walk around. I'm walking around until I accidentally hit the Left Trigger and aimed my gun at someone. They didn't take kindly to that and got into a gunfight with me. I went into Dead Eye, aimed at him and caught the conductor in the head in the process. The conductor died, the train stopped and this guy's buddies showed up to kick my ass. I whistled for my horse and took off into the great yonder.

My buddy came over the other day to try it out, and the first thing he did was start shooting towns people. I instantly got pissed, thinking to myself John would never do this! This is the first open world game where I dont go around just killing anyone and everyone and trying to play the character how I think he is.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Gary Whitta said:

I also spent way too much time playing Blackjack last night. It seems kinda dumb to pay $60 for a massive sandbox game and then spent a ton of time playing a sub-game that I could as easily get in a Flash browser or on my iPhone but the ambient dialog and other stuff going on in the background really makes you feel like you're still in the world and actually at the table.

Same thing happened to me in Thieves Landing :lol

Guys rode through dragging someone behind them andI shot em down. Next thing I know its all out war in the streets. It was storming too, so I could hardly see anything. After like a solid 5 minutes of gunfights I whistle for my horse and they shot him before he could even get to me :lol :lol

Drahcir

The Lamonster said:
Rockstar seriously needs to make a Pirate game like this.

I'd vote for an Edo period samurai game by Rockstar. You're a retainer. Randomly generated just like RDR where in a variety of different ways you can become a ronin. :D

Barrett2

I plan on having bed sores from the amount of time my ass will be planted on my couch playing this game tomorrow. I am having so much fun with side missions, I haven't even made it out of the first few areas. Still need to see a bear in the flesh.

Some impressions:

I haven't done a lot in the single-player mode, at least compared to the multiplayer, but I am absolutely loving this game. What sells it for me is the setting and how that setting is truly worthy of sandbox, open-world, free-roam fun. I'm also taken aback at the challenges, which I don't hate doing, like shooting five birds from a moving vehicle, or collecting butterfly weeds*, when usually I'd say "Screw that" and whine about its tedium. Of course, it's probably, mostly because of my fondness for this genre and how much I love the southwest.

I even asked my friend "Why do I like riding through deserts and canyons but hated driving everywhere in GTA4?" Then I noticed I wasn't crashing into anybody and the riders and stagecoach drivers aren't anywhere near as dumb as the NPCs of GTA4.

*Collecting the herbs in the Survivalist challenges brings an awkward serenity for me, but holy crap was collecting butterfly weeds in Diez Coronas a pain in my ass.

I can't even figure out the first treasure map. :lol I understand the general area it's in but there are rocks everywhere that match those on the map.
Help?

Keep it real guys, I don't want to see Rockstar doing crazy garbage like that. Their strengths are in modern and historical fiction. Leave your sci-fi crap at the door.

Emitan

CitizenCope said:
I can't even figure out the first treasure map. :lol I understand the general area it's in but there are rocks everywhere that match those on the map.
Help?
I'm in the same boat. I'm just searching every rock. Is it just a button prompt or do I need to find a shovel or something?

Neverfade

CitizenCope said:
Help?

It's around one of the main (bigger) rocks that make up Hanging Rock. If this one's giving you trouble, have fun with some of the later ones :lol

And for billychu: button prompt.

Downhome

The fact that you can replay missions at any time that you have already completed and then try to get three different levels on each is pretty incredible.

I finally figured out the first treasure map, and good lord do I feel like a fool, just like everyone here I bet when they figured it out. Just remember...

X marks the spot!

Alucrid

Banned
Is there ANY way to get songs to play again? Riding around on my horse next to the Rio Grande (or whatever it's called in game) to Jose Gonzalez's song was reaching Ico/Sotc memorable moments.

Emitan

Neverfade said:
It's around one of the main (bigger) rocks that make up Hanging Rock. If this one's giving you trouble, have fun with some of the later ones :lol

Oh fun. I guess I'm not a treasure hunter. At least I'm awesome at disarming people in duels.

Raide

Y2Kev said:
Why would you use the stagecoaches when you have fast travel from campsites (free)?

Mainly to enjoy the ride, see the sights and play the game without some magical teleporting. I have only played for an hour or so but I am not using Fast Travel.:lol

Neverfade said:

Thanks! I blame the rain storm with messing with my treasure hunting ability. Yeah I'm in trouble with the later ones, I knew that once I couldn't find this one.:lol

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Ah, I see.

Best mission in a game ever: the "Peter" stranger quest. I hogtied
the woman
and carried her back to her husband, omg :lol

Emitan

Raide said:
Mainly to enjoy the ride, see the sights and play the game without some magical teleporting. I have only played for an hour or so but I am not using Fast Travel.:lol
I've put maybe four or five hours in. I refuse to fast travel because then I can't do random encounters.

Emitan

Y2Kev said:
Ah, I see.

Best mission in a game ever: the "Peter" stranger quest. I hogtied
the woman
and carried her back to her husband, omg :lol
I hog tied her and began to carry her back to the saloon. But this one guy started trying to knife a whore, so I set the woman down, ran over and hog tied that guy. Picked him up, walked back to the women and put him down in the middle of the road, and then picked her back up and brought her inside.

Strawman

Any UK Gaffers experienced the PS3 version shortages that eurogamer were reporting yesterday? Hoping to pick it up from HMV tomorrow.

depths20XX

Maybe I'm just stupid, but can you fist fight in this game? Sometimes I accidently knock a guy over and then he comes at me throwing punches. It seems like the only options I have to retaliate are to push him over, stab him, or shoot him. The latter two giving me a wanted level.

Mr. Sam

Strawman said:
Any UK Gaffers experienced the PS3 version shortages that eurogamer were reporting yesterday?

My local GAME, Gamestation and HMV were all out of stock of the PS3 version. Fortunately, it was the 360 version I was out for.

I suck so much ass at Five Finger Fillet. How is that even possible?

Emitan

depths20XX said:
Maybe I'm just stupid, but can you fist fight in this game? Sometimes I accidently knock a guy over and then he comes at me throwing punches. It seems like the only options I have to retaliate are to push him over, stab him, or shoot him. The latter two giving me a wanted level.
Switch weapons to your fists (unarmed).

pr0cs

It's too easy to have the AI think you're attacking them.
Out in the wilds, hunting wolves with a knife to try and get the next level of hunting.
2 marshals run by chasing 1 bandit/bad guy.
They gun him down and are handing around when I'm attacked by 2 wolves. Of course i swing and miss a few times but end up killing the wolves, well the marshals think for some reason that me swinging my knife around was me attacking them. They cut me down really fast since I was already hurt from the wolves.
I was so pissed.

In general you really have to be careful drawing or using any weapon. The AI will very easily think you're attacking them.

Emitan

pr0cs said:
It's too easy to have the AI think you're attacking them.
Out in the wilds, hunting wolves with a knife to try and get the next level of hunting.
2 marshals run by chasing 1 bandit/bad guy.
They gun him down and are handing around when I'm attacked by 2 wolves. Of course i swing and miss a few times but end up killing the wolves, well the marshals think for some reason that me swinging my knife around was me attacking them. They cut me down really fast since I was already hurt from the wolves.
I was so pissed.

In general you really have to be careful drawing or using any weapon. The AI will very easily think you're attacking them.
You also need to be careful who you're attacking. At one point I brought up the in game XMB to check my trophies and the game usually pauses when you bring it up. But it didnt and I heard gun shots so I closed the menu and shot at two men I saw firing their guns. They were lawmen. Chasing a criminal. Bounty: $40.

Top Bottom