• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Solid warrior said:
are you satisfied with the game? does the graphical problems have any negative impact on you? I only have my ps3 with me. my brother took my 360 and will probably bring it back around June/July.
Graphics are overall pretty good but there is a noticeable pop in issue. Framerate isn't really the best, maybe similar to GTAIV. That's just my impression from my first play over the last 3 hours.

Anyway, if you're really interested then I can still highly recommend it, since it's been a great game so far.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
EzLink said:
I just realized I still haven't gotten my amazon $20 giftcard yet. Is this normal? Has everyone else gotten theirs?

I haven't gotten mine either. I believe they quote up to 10 days.

Seanspeed

Banned
Horsebite said:
Press the back button and hit Hardcore Free For All or Hardcore Gang Match. These two game types automatically lock everyone's aim type to expert. It's challenging, but a lot of fun!
Ok, so I have to unlock those, right?

Better get on it! :D

Thanks.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
EzLink said:
I just realized I still haven't gotten my amazon $20 giftcard yet. Is this normal? Has everyone else gotten theirs?

Details said it will be applied 10 days after the game ships.

May 28th expect the email.

Kintaro said:
I understand that, however Marston made at least three attempts to end the conversation and move on. The old man should have understood this.

The old man doesn't disagree how it was handled. He agrees they should have died. The old man just sees Marston wasting his skills on peasants. I think he also thought John should have shot them before the second attempt to end it.

Strangest thing. My horse had that aneurism issue. I was taking a bounty back to town when she just up and died. I got flung off and had a massive frame rate drop when some bandits road over the hill after me. Cleared up as soon as they died though.

I guess heat stroke wouldn't be too uncommon of an ailment under the scorching desert sun.

Jeramii

Banned
i've been trying to talk myself out of buying this game because i really don't have enough money.... well... i gave in. thank god for payed vacation time from work, just use up some of that.

fucking a, this game rocks.

i got mauled by some kind of mountain lion, a cougar? i can't remember.... just came after me in the middle of the night. hah.

can't wait to fight a bear with a knife. ^__^

moojito

The giant bomb quick look of this is up, assuming noone's mentioned it already. Looking pretty sweet. I'm going to have to try hard not to cave in and buy this tomorrow!

Just had a pretty great Free Roam session with the highlight being a spontaneous 8 v 6 posse battle over the fort with the cannons, and Gatling guns in it. One of the coolest things I've ever seen on Xbox Live. The battle went from the Great Plains to Mexico, with all sorts of "planning," and guerrilla style ambushes, and lasted for like 2 day/night cycles.

DietRob

moojito said:
The giant bomb quick look of this is up, assuming noone's mentioned it already. Looking pretty sweet. I'm going to have to try hard not to cave in and buy this tomorrow!

You WILL cave and you WILL buy it.

Teknoman

eznark said:
Finally got into a full "shootout" mode in multiplayer, it was a ton of fun. A lot more fun than free-roam has been, since in free roam it's just everyone killing each other

People are doing free roam really wrong if thats all they are doing. Get in a posse and clean out gang hideouts, rank up bounties, do hunting challenges, etc. etc.

Raide

Anyone else on 360 having connection issues with Public games? I am fine with Private games but if I try to join it kicks me back and says something is wrong with one of the players. Annoying thing is, it kicks me back to a never-ending loading screen.

DietRob

Dead to Rights said:
Does anyone know why every damn time I set foot in
thieves landing every person in town starts shooting at me? Is my game glitched?

Honor is probably to high. Get a bandanna.

Neiteio

OK, so I sorted through the 360/PS3 comparison thread and I can't make heads or tails of whether the PS3 version looks good. It's the version I'd have to get since that's the system I own. I guess I'll be sitting this one out in favor of Mario Galaxy 2 until someone gives more than a throwaway sentence analysis. :-\

Raide said:
Anyone else on 360 having connection issues with Public games? I am fine with Private games but if I try to join it kicks me back and says something is wrong with one of the players. Annoying thing is, it kicks me back to a never-ending loading screen.

Same here, I was trying to play a game with mmarsu but it wouldn't even let me join. So annoying.

wow i was just reading the gamespot interview of Rockstar and pretty interesting

*it took them over a year to get the animation and the horse right

*the muscle of the horses uses the same rendering techniques used on faces

*if you look closely, the wild horses don't have horse shoe

*the horses uses combination of euphoria and rage

MMaRsu

Raide said:

Same here, please patch this.

Downhome

Spoiler for "Flowers For a Lady"

Oh lord, that ending! I hung around after the cutscene and he kept telling me that I could give her a footbath if I wanted and how he could tell I was sweet on her. I started to walk around the room and bumped into her and her head fell right off.

:lol

I just recently got the bandanna as well. Correct me if I'm wrong:

Do you not get any honor or fame subtracted when you do bad things while wearing it?

Volcynika

Downhome said:
Spoiler for "Flowers For a Lady"

Oh lord, that ending! I hung around after the cutscene and he kept telling me that I could give her a footbath if I wanted and how he could tell I was sweet on her. I started to walk around the room and bumped into her and her head fell right off.

I just recently got the bandanna as well. Correct me if I'm wrong:

Do you not get any honor or fame subtracted when you do bad things while wearing it?

Yeah, that whole quest was....interesting to say the least. :lol at you
knocking her head off

Lakitu

st5fu
I've played around 6 hours in total, I've barely touched the main game. I've done a lot of missions for strangers, finally got the lasso, a lot of hunting and some bounties -- I just kept one alive in the last, and it was such a rush, fighting everyone coming after me while I have the target hogtied on my horse. I feel like I've barely scratched the surface of the game. I've probably only explored 1/10th of the whole map.

Barto

Neo Member
They need to release some Dark Tower DLC for this game, linking this game with GTA would be so awesome my head would explode!

YagizY

Neiteio said:
OK, so I sorted through the 360/PS3 comparison thread and I can't make heads or tails of whether the PS3 version looks good. It's the version I'd have to get since that's the system I own. I guess I'll be sitting this one out in favor of Mario Galaxy 2 until someone gives more than a throwaway sentence analysis. :-\

Here is my sentence analysis: You are being ridiculous.

I had a couple of interesting glitches earlier, one I was going for a bounty and when I got there all the guys ran around with their guns pointed at me, but no matter what I did they never fired a single shot. Also I caught some guy attacking a woman and pulled out my lasso to hogtie him, the rope hit him and he fell over dead in a big puddle of blood.

Barto said:
They need to release some Dark Tower DLC for this game, linking this game with GTA would be so awesome my head would explode!

Roland would destroy Marston. Plus I'd rather they keep the supernatural out of here ... although I wouldn't mind hogtying a lowmen and riding around with him on my horse.

Dechaios said:
I am like halfway through the game and just realized you can make the horse jump. Mind blown.

If you hit the same button when at a complete stop you do the 'on hind legs' thing that everybody wants to do on a horse. My girl was watching me play and she was like "what are you doing?" as I was just going to places and doing that with a cool camera angle and going "cool".

Barto said:
I just wanna sit down the beach shooting them damn lobstrosities all day.

HAHA! Yeah, would make a good minigame.

Gravijah

Neiteio said:
I'm just afraid it's another Bayonetta situation. :( I hear it's sub-HD... The game doesn't have that vaseline smear look, does it?

Uh... this is not another Bayonetta. Bayontta wasn't even handled by Platinum Games. RDR had it's own dedicated team on both consoles.

RbBrdMan said:
Honor is probably to high. Get a bandanna.
That's weird. My Honor is maxed out and no one fires at me there..

Also, I had a nice glitch earlier while playing Poker in Armadillo. I take a look at my cards and all of a sudden the other people at the table turned into their low-res models (for when they're far-off and don't need detail). It was like a PS1 version of RDR for a few minutes before I got caught cheating.
Wish I took a picture.

Neiteio

Gravijah said:
Uh... this is not another Bayonetta. Bayontta wasn't even handled by Platinum Games. RDR had it's own dedicated team on both consoles.
OK, now I'm leaning toward making my trip to Target Sunday morning a $110 purchase instead of a $50 (SMG2 -and- RDR). But I see words like "640p" or whatever and I get nervous. :-\

Neiteio said:
I'm just afraid it's another Bayonetta situation. :( I hear it's sub-HD... The game doesn't have that vaseline smear look, does it?

Unless my vision is getting terrible, no RDR (PS3) doesn't have any vaseline smear look.

Teknoman

MMaRsu said:
It's so cool but I keep getting disconnected :( Unless I'm playing a private match..

I got an email from support this morning telling me they deployed a patch for both versions that fixed the invisible and disconnect issues.

Thanks for contacting R* Support

We have just deployed a fix that should address the issues some people have been experiencing in Red Dead Redemption online multiplayer. This fix should address a specific issue that was found where the player's multiplayer avatar, their horse or their weapons would occasionally not be visible in multiplayer games as well as an issue that some players were experiencing where they would lose connection to the various multiplayer modes."

To apply the patch, simply make sure you're signed into your consoles respected online services with a valid username before booting up the game. Both the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions will update automatically.

Cheers

R* Support

A sunken Cargo ship is responsible for shortage of RDR in the UK?

Is this true?:lol

Major UK retailers have today told CVG that they are running low on PS3 copies of Red Dead Redemption - blaming manufacturing problems and even a sunken cargo ship for a "massive" shortage in the market.

Numerous GAME and HMV stores around the country have informed us that they have either sold out of PS3 copies - or expect to by the end of today. However, the Xbox 360 standard and Limited editions of the game are in abundant supply at both chains.

Meanwhile, Tesco stores have no stock of the PS3 version on shelves in the UK.

GAME employees informed CVG that they've been told a "sunken cargo ship" is to blame. However, an official spokesperson for the chain told CVG that it had "no stock issues" and that the game was "flying out of the store".
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=247643

We wouldn't have this problem with digital distribution! :D

But speaking of physical media . . . damn you Amazon, I STILL don't have my RDR yet. :-(

dreamer3kx said:
Not many trophy achievements in sp, correct?

I think the majority are for SP. There are some for clearing sets of ganghideouts, a few you get at completeing major parts of the story, and a lot of other odds and ends. I.E: Get $5000, get a ringer in horseshoes, etc.

Lolligag

Neiteio said:
Well, I'm someone who can't play a game if it looks terrible... I didn't play GTA4 or Dragonage more than an hour because it was ugly, for example. This is for PS3 btw.

The game runs perfectly. I've been running around with full posses taking out massive amounts of lawmen and never had a fps hiccup there and that's probably the most chaos you'll see. The only time I ever noticed the fps go down was in a rather developed town,
you'll be shocked how large it is after spending so much time everywhere else.
I would say it was about 25fps when we were shooting lawmen in that developed town.

Now for the looks for it? I think it's great, you'll barely notice the jaggies except on the buildings and I didn't find them too bad. It's kind of expected anyway.
The game has amazing detail, even the grass sticking out of the ground will have your shadow casted upon it exactly like it would in real life. It's not just a full outline of you, it sort of staggers from the grass -hard to explain. :(

If you're concerned with the MP, it's been working fine for me since that patch they had to do. Voice chat has no issues.

Anyone that wants to even bother nitpicking at the comparisons is a damn fanboy of either or console. There's nothing to worry about when picking up the ps3 over xbox

Top Bottom