• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Wolfwood0

Neo Member
Kintaro said:
I have to agree. At least with the characters after Bonnie and the Marshall. West, Seth and Irish all fucking suck. However, it wasn't quite enough to get me to quit as I was OCDing on other parts of the game.

The game has a warped way of slapping your hand and trying to make you feel guilty. It comes off as ham fisted. For example, this next part will be spoilers for those not doing missions in Mexico. I'm only about two missions deep into Mexico though.

You enter Chuparosa and you're confronted with three guys who take your hat and generally give you a bunch of shit. You then kill all three of them for being dicks. Then, an old man chastises you for shooting them, killing them makes you no better than them, then he just goes and teaches you Level 3 Dead Eye before you go off to kill some Banditos.

What? Marston tried three times to leave the guys alone before he caps them, then you get a stern talking to by a man who is famous for being a gunslinger and killing. Before this, you killed for some snake oil salesman, a freak and a drunk. You think by this point we need a speech about our actions? STFU.

Rockstar, you are not good at making us feel bad for what you require our character to do. Stop it already and shut the fuck up. If you want us to think more about it, you need to give us more choice in the main storyline missions.

Yea that part was really strange to me.

Klocker

Greg said:
The deed stays in your inventory forever - you can use it to keep spawning horses.

yes this is pretty sweet.... I have purchased 5 horses so far as I like switching up the colors... all I need now as a stable
garage
and rotating view of every horse in living color for me to choose:D

*shakes fist at repurchasing crap in console Just Cause 2*

Teknoman

The PS3 version looks damn good and is in no way a Bayonetta situation. There are only minor differences between the two (more foliage in some places, and its abit sharper on 360). Other than that, there are no real noticeable differences unless you're just looking for a reason not to get it.

If you have any interest in the game, no other financial obligations, or have to make a choice between buying one game or the other, pick it up.

Trust me, if it looks that much worse than the 360 version, there would be definite backlash within the topic, which there isnt any.

Dead

well not really...yet
Klocker said:
yes this is pretty sweet.... I have purchased 5 horses so far as I like switching up the colors... all I need now as a stable
garage
and rotating view of every horse in living color for me to choose:D

*shakes fist at repurchasing crap in console Just Cause 2*
It would own if you were able to purchase your own farm property with stable. Be able to pay for upgrades, etc.

A friend of mine pre-ordered from Amazon and never got an email with the gold guns code. Is emailing Amazon customer service likely to get a code re-sent?

Hawkie

The Dastardly achievement clearly a "tip of the hat" to one of my favourite villains of all time :D

Dick Dastardly and his continual efforts to kill Penelope Pitstop by tying her to the train tracks and having a train run her over

Anyone else having trouble finding this in stores? Fry's is completely sold out in the area and I was just at a Target that was totally sold out. Surprised at how hard it is to find it.

evil ways

Gary Whitta said:
A friend of mine pre-ordered from Amazon and never got an email with the gold guns code. Is emailing Amazon customer service likely to get a code re-sent?
The golden guns code came in a paper advert with my amazon copy. It's on top of the map.

MMaRsu

daddynorcal said:
We're aware that some people are experiencing this on some online load screens and are working to resolve it as quickly as possible.

R* Support

Thanks :), hope it gets fixed soon :)! But I'll keep playing it regardless :p.

Downhome

I was raised on a farm, still live out in the country and all of that. I've been around horses and that sort of thing all of my life. I don't know how well this translates to those of you who haven't ever really been around that sort of thing, but trust me on this. The way they totally captured the horses from the sounds, movement, and everything. How it looks and sounds when you ride, just all of it.

It is so perfect, that it does something to me no other game has ever done before. When it's just right, it actually triggers the "smells" in my brain. The horse, leather of the saddle, reigns, blanket, and yes even the horse manure. It's really that perfect to me. I've never had a game actually trigger smells in me before.

I can't believe I'm playing a game where you can "get up the cows" on horseback. I mean, really. I used to do that so much and here I am playing a game doing it! :lol

I love you RDR.

Plasma

Banned
Just completed, absolutely loved the game, I didn't expect it to be this good.

Was a bit bummed out by the ending though ):

UrbanRats

evil ways said:
The golden guns code came in a paper advert with my amazon copy. It's on top of the map.
Actually, they just emailed me the golden guns code.
I got the limited so i'll probably have 2 golden guns code, once the game is here.. but still, you should've recieved the preorder bonus code via email, also.
Downhome said:
It is so perfect, that it does something to me no other game has ever done before. When it's just right, it actually triggers the "smells" in my brain. It's really that perfect to me. I've never had a game actually trigger smells in me before.
Better than Shadow of the Colossus' Agro? :O

Beatbox

alien from planet Highscore
Is my game save fucked? Is the game just fucked?

PS3 version - it started when I was riding the train around and my character froze and all I could do is zoom the map and pause the game. Then it happened when I went to change my outfit - and kept happening every time I tried to change my outfit. Now it happens every time the game autosaves.

Sorry if this has been discussed but this thread just moves way too fast.

EDIT - I think rebooting my PS3 solved it.

sdornan

Downhome said:
I was raised on a farm, still live out in the country and all of that. I've been around horses and that sort of thing all of my life. I don't know how well this translates to those of you who haven't ever really been around that sort of thing, but trust me on this. The way they totally captured the horses from the sounds, movement, and everything. How it looks and sounds when you ride, just all of it.

It is so perfect, that it does something to me no other game has ever done before. When it's just right, it actually triggers the "smells" in my brain. It's really that perfect to me. I've never had a game actually trigger smells in me before.

That's awesome.

soldat7

OgTheClever said:
Graphics are overall pretty good but there is a noticeable pop in issue. Framerate isn't really the best, maybe similar to GTAIV. That's just my impression from my first play over the last 3 hours.

Minor pop-in is there if you look for it, but it is not an issue whatsoever. RDR handles it extremely well compared to every other console game on the market.

Zeliard

Downhome said:

It is so perfect, that it does something to me no other game has ever done before. When it's just right, it actually triggers the "smells" in my brain. The horse, leather of the saddle, reigns, blanket, and yes even the horse manure. It's really that perfect to me. I've never had a game actually trigger smells in me before.

I can't believe I'm playing a game where you can "get up the cows" on horseback. I mean, really. I used to do that so much and here I am playing a game doing it! :lol

I love you RDR.

Nice.

Haunted

soldat7 said:
Minor pop-in is there if you look for it, but it is not an issue whatsoever. RDR handles it extremely well compared to every other console game on the market.
He's probably confusing pop-up with LoD (which is extremely noticeable).

Meier said:
WTF at trying to take a cougar out with a knife. 1 attack and I was dead, damn!
Dead-Eye knife him! (Does that even work? >_>)

soldat7

Haunted said:
He's probably confusing pop-up with LoD (which is extremely noticeable)

RDR still handles LOD better than any game of this type, though (360 version here.) In fact, I rarely notice it.

sw33tclyde said:
No, but rolling(LT + X + LS direction) helps. Good luck if Mr. Cougar has a friend or two(i.e. you're fucked)!

You can roll??? Awesome!

Dresden

I wish the combat was more difficult. Maybe a 'realistic' setting where Marston can't just take five or six shots at a time. "Expert" mode should tone down Marston's health, too.

A few missions in Mexico, and it's feeling pretty tedious right now. The scenery doesn't wow me like it used to, and there's a distinct feeling that I've seen what's there to see in the game. I'll keep going, but damn.

GQman2121 said:
A guest appearance by Daniel Plainview is the only thing that could make this game anymore enjoyable right now.

I saw a guy sitting down in Plainview that looked just like him.... wearing a suit, same moustache, similar hat.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Is there a motivonal pic of cougers? Cause alot of people hate them in RDR :D

I believe I saw 1 in this forum.. but I don't remember where .. and I belive it said " they will strike when your gaurd is down" or something like that

EDIT: NVM... Found it :D

Pelydr

mediocrity at its best
Herding the wild horses wasn't very fun but hopefully I am on the move now. :D

Also, does poker get harder? Its crazy easy at the 10-25$ level.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Bungieware said:
I saw a guy sitting down in Plainview that looked just like him.... wearing a suit, same moustache, similar hat.

I was playing poker in Thieves Landing with an NPC that looked like what you described. I thought of Plainview as well.

I tried playing Blackjack but I was not very good at it and lost a good amount of money. I like Liar's Dice though. I hope they patch all of the minigames into Free Roam. That would be so awesome. Though if someone came up and shot me during poker I'd be really pissed.

evil ways

I've created such a close bond with my horse that I had to do a mission where I rode on a wagon and I just could'nt leave my buddy behind. So I whistled him up right to the missions destination and he followed me all the way throught.

We're gonna ride together till the end.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
evil ways said:
I've created such a close bond with my horse that I had to do a mission where I rode on a wagon and I just could'nt leave my buddy behind. So I whistled him up right to the missions destination and he followed me all the way throught.

We're gonna ride together till the end.

sure.........

cougar4.jpg

Marvie_3

Banned
sazabirules said:
I was playing poker in Thieves Landing with an NPC that looked like what you described. I thought of Plainview as well.

I tried playing Blackjack but I was not very good at it and lost a good amount of money. I like Liar's Dice though. I hope they patch all of the minigames into Free Roam. That would be so awesome. Though if someone came up and shot me during poker I'd be really pissed.
This would definately be awesome. Maybe they'll include it with the new co-op DLC in June.

ezekial45

Banned
Still haven't gotten the game, but i do have one question.

Hows the story? A friend of mine said it made him cry "girly tears" at certain points.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
ezekial45 said:
Still haven't gotten the game, but i do have one question.

Hows the story? A friend of mine said it made him cry "girly tears" at certain points.

Not bad so far. Not great, but not bad. Hopefully it picks up in Mexico.

Mik2121

So... how much of the Challenges have you guys completed yet?

Right now I'm at..

Survivalist - Rank 4
Treasure Hunter - Rank 5
Master Hunter - Rank 3 (kill 5 wolves with knife? you gotta be fucking kidding me...)
Sharpshooter - Rank 7

R2D4

Banned
My fucking horse just got mauled by a goddamn cougar. The same horse I've had all game. I got gangbanged by 3 wolves. Shot them all and then immanently after 3 cougars attacked. I shot two after they took down the horse and then the third got me. This game is ruthless.

W1SSY

I had some weird glitches happen to me on the PS3 version the past two days.

The first was when I hogtied two people next to each other and picked one of them up. It would not let me drop the person or put them on my horse and I was afraid I would have to reload. Luckily I shot someone and they ran into me with a horse and knocked me down which made me drop the person.

The other was when I was trying to get on my horse and I hit up one the dpad. My guy just started to run and continued to run for about 2-3 minutes. I tried doing everything to get him to stop and he wouldn't. Then after a couple minutes he just stopped running and everything was fine. I thought my stick may have stuck but I paused the game and it worked fine.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I heard that buying a horse from a store gives you a deed you can reuse forever, but does it consider it the same horse? Like if I buy one, it dies, and I use it again, do I need to regain its bond for stamina?

Fuck I hate working weekends sometimes. Won't be playing this game until Sunday evening. I miss it. I know for a fact I'm lagging behind in MP. Holy shit it's unbearable! (only slightly kidding._)

I hope everyone is sporting the poncho/bandana at some point.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
I've never encountered a wolf or a cougar and I've never had a horse die. I guess I'm lucky. That's the name of my horse, coincidentally.

Big Ass Ramp said:
I've never encountered a wolf or a cougar and I've never had a horse die. I guess I'm lucky. That's the name of my horse, coincidentally.
I've never had a horse die but the game keeps making me replace my horse in story events, which kinda pisses me off.

Cday

Banned
I've never encountered a bobcat until yesterday. Didn't even know they were in the game. I haven't made it to West Elizabeth yet which they may or may not be numerous in but I found them near the second treasure location.

Dresden said:
I wish the combat was more difficult. Maybe a 'realistic' setting where Marston can't just take five or six shots at a time. "Expert" mode should tone down Marston's health, too.

A few missions in Mexico, and it's feeling pretty tedious right now. The scenery doesn't wow me like it used to, and there's a distinct feeling that I've seen what's there to see in the game. I'll keep going, but damn.

for those who say that red dead will never suffer from the same backlash as GTAIV... uhhh, yeah, good luck with that. :lol

Top Bottom