• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

I had a weird bug in Thieves Landing as I exited the saloon and approached the dude hassling the prostitute (the one you can either encourage or discourage). As I walked over to him I suddenly fell over and died! WTF? I'm pretty sure nobody shot me. It's like I just had an aneurysm and dropped down dead. Bug?

Chrange

Banned
Gary Whitta said:
I had a weird bug in Thieves Landing as I exited the saloon and approached the dude hassling the prostitute (the one you can either encourage or discourage). As I walked over to him I suddenly fell over and died! WTF? I'm pretty sure nobody shot me. It's like I just had an aneurysm and dropped down dead. Bug?
Consumption.
Tuberculosis

Cday

Banned
Gary Whitta said:

Ghost Snakes

newsguy

Gary Whitta said:
It's not your place to make the moral decision for him. Jesus struck you down, -50 honor

Not sure if anyone else has had this issue, but when I have the game installed on my hard drive it tends to crash. So far the only point at which it crashes is during the loading screen after you get arrested. Hopefully they fix that.

Edit: Scratch that, happens with or without the game installed. Must just be my copy.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
EviLore said:
The missions are going all shooting gallery, having me kill 50 guys each time, usually without any real reason for it, no consequences for it, and not particularly satisfying shooting involved with it. For example, at about 25% in, you're in bed with this West guy as he sells his elixir crap, the crowd turns on him for being a conman and you flee with him as the entire town gives chase, and you murder the entire population of the town as you're protecting him. This guy who just fell into your lap as part of the storyline and makes very little sense that Marsten is dealing with him at all.

The characters I'm forced to interact with on these vaguely relevant story missions are incredibly annoying. Sharply downhill after the Bonnie missions. And lately it's all of these characters droning on and on and dragging things out while Marsten whines and makes hollow threats. It cheapens him, and it's not interesting in the least.

Using fast travel more and more, now, since riding a horse through vast expanses of desert is nowhere near as interesting as, say, weaving through traffic.

Losing interest fast.

This is pretty much the opposite of how I feel. I know GTA games are not made for me, and I can't help but be totally irritated by almost every aspect.

RDR does it for me, though. I absolutely love it.

Mr. Sam

This game is just-- just-- just-- fucking awesome!

Decided I'd experienced enough of the game to allow for a GTA-style massacre. Walk into the saloon in Armadillo, cap everyone inside. Switch to shotgun, shoot all the hookers and remaining cowards upstairs. Switch to rifle, climb onto the roof. Five minute stand-off, crouch running from corner to corner, killing everyone who's after me - including some spectacular off-the-horse kills. Eventually get bored, try to escape. Try to go front way, but the continual stream of people discourages me. I did discover the versatility of the cover mechanic though, particularly when it comes to windows. Run to the back door, only for someone to come bursting through it, pistol drawn. I slide into cover, switch to shotgun - BLAM! Sprint out, duck behind a barn as lawmen pursue me. A guy in an apron who I can only assume was the barman attempting to hide from the gunfire runs out of the barn, switch to deadeye and cap him in both legs with the revolver. He frantically crawls away as bullets whizz above his head. Finally, it appears as if I've killed everyone after me (is that even possible?) and so I leg it into the wilderness. I had something like a $1500 bounty on my head. I endeavour to beat that record.

So much goddamn fun.

Gravijah

Mr. Sam said:
This game is just-- just-- just-- fucking awesome!

Decided I'd experienced enough of the game to allow for a GTA-style massacre. Walk into the saloon in Armadillo, cap everyone inside. Switch to shotgun, shoot all the hookers and remaining cowards upstairs. Switch to rifle, climb onto the roof. Five minute stand-off, crouch running from corner to corner, killing everyone who's after me - including some spectacular off-the-horse kills. Eventually get bored, try to escape. Try to go front way, but the continual stream of people discourages me. I did discover the versatility of the cover mechanic though, particularly when it comes to windows. Run to the back door, only for someone to come bursting through it, pistol drawn. I slide into cover, switch to shotgun - BLAM! Sprint out, duck behind a barn as lawmen pursue me. A guy in an apron who I can only assume was the barman attempting to hide from the gunfire runs out of the barn, switch to deadeye and cap him in both legs with the revolver. He frantically crawls away as bullets whizz above his head. Finally, it appears as if I've killed everyone after me (is that even possible?) and so I leg it into the wilderness. I had something like a $1500 bounty on my head. I endeavour to beat that record.

So much goddamn fun.

There's an achieve/trophy for
using a pardon letter on a 5000 I think it is bounty

Right outside that saloon right by the horse hitch, I had two bugs occur. One similar to what you said. The other was when I tried to take the bandana off next to the horse and all of the sudden my character went physics apeshit. It was weird. Same exact location for both bugs.

UrbanRats

Gary Whitta said:
Aneurisma, it's in the game.

Haunted

Gary Whitta said:
The malaria from Far Cry 2 finally caught up with you.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
rasberryjam said:
Not sure if anyone else has had this issue, but when I have the game installed on my hard drive it tends to crash. So far the only point at which it crashes is during the loading screen after you get arrested. Hopefully they fix that.

Edit: Scratch that, happens with or without the game installed. Must just be my copy.

The one and only time I've gotten arrested so far, the game froze at the loading screen.

So no, it's definitely not just you.

daddynorcal

Neo Member
zero margin said:
Hate to keep sounding negative but WTF is with the notification boxes flashing instantly and disappearing, I know I am unlocking shit but you don't know what it is. Frustrating.

You should be able to review any in-game text if you pause the game, enter the Journal and select the Brief.

R* Support

owlbeak

gibration said:
Seriously. I would love a wild west MMO game developed by R*.
All they need to do is add all the stuff from Single player (bounties, minigames, skinning, traders, etc.) and it'd basically BE and MMO without much else. Maybe change the XP system so you get more for doing tasks in free roam, but right now as it is it's a stripped down MMO more or less and it's awesome. :D

I was having an unbelievable set of games on MP just now. Icing on the cake was having a shootout with two other guys, and killed the second one by rolling backwards and feeding him a shotgun shell in the face.

sdornan

I love this game. My only problem is that the competitive multiplayer modes in the game are so conventional.

Some ideas of mine...

A stagecoach vs. stagecoach type of match, 4 vs. 4 using the type of stagecoach that can hold players as passengers.

A town assault type of match, where one team are bandits who try to take over a town and the other team are lawmen that try to hold the town. Could have some resource unit like in Battlefield for spawning, or something else.

A hunting tournament type of match, where individual players, or teams, much be the first ones to find and kill a set number of animals of a specific type.

Seraphis Cain said:
The one and only time I've gotten arrested so far, the game froze at the loading screen.

So no, it's definitely not just you.
Thank god. At least it's not an issue, I've been playing the kindly reformed outlaw, so getting arrested hasn't really come up. Hopefully that bug gets fixed in the next patch.

Drahcir

Gary Whitta said:

Randomly generated heart attacks. I know Rockstar was going for complete immersion but that's just ridiculous.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
what are the odds i'd like RDR if...

- i only play gta games to screw around in the sandbox.
- i get tired of gta games in just a few hours.
- i dont like the gta controls, mechanics, and character movement.
+ i LOVE the outdoors, the west, exploring, and the idea of hunting game.
+ i value presentation and atmosphere in gaming.

are you satisfied with the game? does the graphical problems have any negative impact on you? I only have my ps3 with me. my brother took my 360 and will probably bring it back around June/July.

Drahcir said:
Randomly generated heart attacks. I know Rockstar was going for complete immersion but that's just ridiculous.
I was walking through Chuparosa when some random NPC ran by then collapsed in the street. Some bleed leaked out of his head. No one had shot him, his brain just sort of exploded.

Seanspeed

Banned
So how on earth do I get into 'expert' multiplayer games? There doesn't seem to be a way to pick it over normal aiming. Playing against auto-aimers with no auto aim is a bit frustrating and I'd like to be on a level paying field.

So do I have to wait til I'm like level 20 or something where I can play those 'hardcore' modes or whatever?

Dizzle24

Solid warrior said:
are you satisfied with the game? does the graphical problems have any negative impact on you? I only have my ps3 with me. my brother took my 360 and will probably bring it back around June/July.

You know, posts like this make me face palm for real. There are no "graphical problems."

Seriously. What the fuck.

There might me a difference in how the 2 versions look, but unless you have a siamese twin and you are each playing the 2 different versions, you will not notice any "graphical problems."

The PS3 game is great. No issues for me.

painey

wow.. the story went from 0-60 in a heartbeat as soon as you hit the 3rd "island" so to speak. I had been bored out of my mind with dull missions and no story progress and then BOOM now its finally hit an interesting pace.

MMaRsu

op_ivy said:
what are the odds i'd like RDR if...

- i only play gta games to screw around in the sandbox.
- i get tired of gta games in just a few hours.
- i dont like the gta controls, mechanics, and character movement.
+ i LOVE the outdoors, the west, exploring, and the idea of hunting game.
+ i value presentation and atmosphere in gaming.

The odds are 1:1. Just get the game, it's fucking amazing.

Even with all that shit you just wrote there :p.

But how much do you guys think this has sold so far? I've seen pretty much 10+ people playing this on my friends list at most times!!! Seems this is doing GTAIV numbers?

Zeliard

rasberryjam said:
I was walking through Chuparosa when some random NPC ran by then collapsed in the street. Some bleed leaked out of his head. No one had shot him, his brain just sort of exploded.
:lol

Very early in the game my horse just collapsed while we were trotting along. I had heard gunshots and thought it was that sharpshooter challenge guy who shot my horse, since he was the only guy in the vicinity, so I butchered him. But it could've just been the horse collapsing, for no particular reason. I think I've heard that's happened to other people.

Right outside MacFarlane farm there are 3 wooden boxes floating 5 feet above the road , every time I pass that part of the road these boxes are floating there on that same spot .

Wonder what's in there , young Vultures learning to fly ?

Dizzle24 said:
You know, posts like this make me face palm for real. There are no "graphical problems."

Seriously. What the fuck.

There might me a difference in how the 2 versions look, but unless you have a siamese twin and you are each playing the 2 different versions, you will not notice any "graphical problems."

The PS3 game is great. No issues for me.
i don't know. i heard a lot of negative things about the ps3 version. framerate issues, textures etc... but since you seem to be satisfied with the ps3 version. then, i'll buy it tomorrow *hope* :D

thanks man.

Dresden

rasberryjam said:
Time bullets.

The Guide to the game is only $11.99 on Amazon. 340 pages. Not bad.

MMaRsu said:
The odds are 1:1. Just get the game, it's fucking amazing.

Even with all that shit you just wrote there :p.

But how much do you guys think this has sold so far? I've seen pretty much 10+ people playing this on my friends list at most times!!! Seems this is doing GTAIV numbers?

At least 15 of the 25 friends online for me are playing it right now

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Solid warrior said:

It is quite grand. I have both a 360 and PS3, I stand by my decision to get it on ps3 due to my friend and controller preference with the platform. I'm more one for gameplay than graphics though and the gameplay if phenomenal.

owlbeak

Seanspeed said:
So how on earth do I get into 'expert' multiplayer games? There doesn't seem to be a way to pick it over normal aiming. Playing against auto-aimers with no auto aim is a bit frustrating and I'd like to be on a level paying field.

So do I have to wait til I'm like level 20 or something where I can play those 'hardcore' modes or whatever?
Press the back button and hit Hardcore Free For All or Hardcore Gang Match. These two game types automatically lock everyone's aim type to expert. It's challenging, but a lot of fun!

YagizY said:
I just sold someone my war horse code on Ebay for $40 :lol :lol :lol

That's pretty stupid. Just refund him the money. The horse isn't that much of a leap in difference between the standard ones. Poor sod thinks it's probably a mini-game on it's own

Meus Renaissance said:
That's pretty stupid. Just refund him the money. The horse isn't that much of a leap in difference between the standard ones. Poor sod thinks it's probably a mini-game on it's own
Wrong, you'd be amazed what people are willing to pay for exclusive collectible shit. Do an eBay search for World of Warcraft pets.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
EviLore said:
The missions are going all shooting gallery, having me kill 50 guys each time, usually without any real reason for it, no consequences for it, and not particularly satisfying shooting involved with it. For example, at about 25% in, you're in bed with this West guy as he sells his elixir crap, the crowd turns on him for being a conman and you flee with him as the entire town gives chase, and you murder the entire population of the town as you're protecting him. This guy who just fell into your lap as part of the storyline and makes very little sense that Marsten is dealing with him at all.

The characters I'm forced to interact with on these vaguely relevant story missions are incredibly annoying. Sharply downhill after the Bonnie missions. And lately it's all of these characters droning on and on and dragging things out while Marsten whines and makes hollow threats. It cheapens him, and it's not interesting in the least.

Using fast travel more and more, now, since riding a horse through vast expanses of desert is nowhere near as interesting as, say, weaving through traffic.

Losing interest fast.

I have to agree. At least with the characters after Bonnie and the Marshall. West, Seth and Irish all fucking suck. However, it wasn't quite enough to get me to quit as I was OCDing on other parts of the game.

The game has a warped way of slapping your hand and trying to make you feel guilty. It comes off as ham fisted. For example, this next part will be spoilers for those not doing missions in Mexico. I'm only about two missions deep into Mexico though.

You enter Chuparosa and you're confronted with three guys who take your hat and generally give you a bunch of shit. You then kill all three of them for being dicks. Then, an old man chastises you for shooting them, killing them makes you no better than them, then he just goes and teaches you Level 3 Dead Eye before you go off to kill some Banditos.

What? Marston tried three times to leave the guys alone before he caps them, then you get a stern talking to by a man who is famous for being a gunslinger and killing. Before this, you killed for some snake oil salesman, a freak and a drunk. You think by this point we need a speech about our actions? STFU.

Rockstar, you are not good at making us feel bad for what you require our character to do. Stop it already and shut the fuck up. If you want us to think more about it, you need to give us more choice in the main storyline missions.

Kintaro said:
I have to agree. At least with the characters after Bonnie and the Marshall. West, Seth and Irish all fucking suck. However, it wasn't quite enough to get me to quit as I was OCDing on other parts of the game.

The game has a warped way of slapping your hand and trying to make you feel guilty. It comes off as ham fisted. For example, this next part will be spoilers for those not doing missions in Mexico. I'm only about two missions deep into Mexico though.

You enter Chuparosa and you're confronted with three guys who take your hat and generally give you a bunch of shit. You then kill all three of them for being dicks. Then, an old man chastises you for shooting them, killing them makes you no better than them, then he just goes and teaches you Level 3 Dead Eye before you go off to kill some Banditos.

What? Marston tried three times to leave the guys alone before he caps them, then you get a stern talking to by a man who is famous for being a gunslinger and killing. Before this, you killed for some snake oil salesman, a freak and a drunk. You think by this point we need a speech about our actions? STFU.

Rockstar, you are not good at making us feel bad for what you require our character to do. Stop it already and shut the fuck up. If you want us to think more about it, you need to give us more choice in the main storyline missions.

He was chastising Marston for 'playing' with low life's. He sees John should be focused on bigger fish because he has more potential. He sees himself in John that's why he train him.

Loxley

Kintaro said:

I agree about this part in particular, it through me a little off guard as well.

(...and chill out.)

YagizY

Meus Renaissance said:

As Whitta said, yeah people are dumb. They love collectibles like this. At the amount he paid he should've just bought the game from Bestbuy and sold the copy of the game on craigslist.

No chance I would refund a person that made multiple bids on something without knowing what it is. With that being said if he paid $40 I think he knows what he's getting.

Not to mention I already sent him the code. He was chomping at the bits after he sent payment for it.

I definitely will sell a lot of my DLC codes on new games if I can get this much back. I didn't give a crap about the War Horse.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Hunter Gather said:
He was chastising Marston for 'playing' with low life's. He sees John should be focused on bigger fish because he has more potential. He sees himself in John that's why he train him.

I understand that, however Marston made at least three attempts to end the conversation and move on. The old man should have understood this.

Loxley said:
(...and chill out.)

Eh?

Top Bottom