• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Inferno313 said:
Has anyone on 360 gotten the mp patch that supposedly hit yesterday? I have yet to get it, unless it's a R* serverside thing.

I think that's the case. I haven't seen the invisible glitch at all and I've been playing free roam for hours and hours. 2 days prior and I got it almost every free roam session, so I'd say it's very likely.

Raide

Snowballo said:
Could you tell me how to set a EXPERT MATCH?
I can just host NORMAL (aim system) match...
How to configure them?

I think they unlock at different player ranks, so you need to Level up to unlock them all. I could be wrong, since I have only had a few hours of playing.

owlbeak

Inferno313 said:
Has anyone on 360 gotten the mp patch that supposedly hit yesterday? I have yet to get it, unless it's a R* serverside thing.
It wasn't a title update, so R* said once you signed into XBL it would download in the background. Wasn't server-side I don't think. All that matters is it's fixed. Played Free Roam last night for 4 hours or so with friends and never saw anything go invisible. :D

Dizzle24

I have yet been able to surrender when i commit a crime. I get the prompt "if you holster your weapon and stand still, the lawmen will attempt to arrest you". I immediately do this before they get close to me, and i still get shot to shit instantly.
This happened on 3 seperate occassions.

TeTr1C

Raide said:
The whole doing good or bad deeds thing seems a little odd. I stopped to give someone a lift, who promptly ripped me off my horse and sped away. 1 rifle and some Dead Eye later, he was dead but it said it was a bad act. It was my damn horse! :lol

That's why I use the lasso on assholes like that and drag 'em around a little bit. You don't have to kill 'em. :D

I'm having huge problems getting into a multiplayer game. Every time i try, it says that I lose connect before I even get into a game and then i'm kicked out to a loading screen that doesn't load anything. I have to back out to the dashboard to get out. It's pretty bullshit. Playing on 360, anyone else having this problem?

Raide

TeTr1C said:
That's why I use the lasso on assholes like that and drag 'em around a little bit. You don't have to kill 'em. :D

I really need to get into the habit of doing this. :lol

snoopeasystreet said:
I'm having huge problems getting into a multiplayer game. Every time i try, it says that I lose connect before I even get into a game and then i'm kicked out to a loading screen that doesn't load anything. I have to back out to the dashboard to get out. It's pretty bullshit. Playing on 360, anyone else having this problem?

Private matches seem fine to connect to, its the Public matches that seem borked. I get the same issue as you, with teh never-ending loading screen.

Downhome

Darklord said:
What the fuck? My game rolled back or something. I finished a mission, saved and quit and now I gotta do it again. Other side missions aren't done either. That's weird.

I had something like that happen. I did a bounty mission, found the guy, brought him in and got paid the $400. I went to save, was going to turn off the game, but noticed the red skull on my map still. I went to see what it was, and yep, same bounty to get again. I still had the $400 from doing it before and everything.

Why do I keep hearing about GAF getting mauled by cougars? I would be lying if I said I've even seen one yet. Coyotes and wolves aplenty, but no cougars. I looked on the map and I think the only place on there that shows them is
Mexico
.... is that right? I'm just about to do the
Fort Mercer
mission. 8 hours in and 28% complete so far.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Bungieware said:
Why do I keep hearing about GAF getting mauled by cougars? I would be lying if I said I've even seen one yet. Coyotes and wolves aplenty, but no cougars. I looked on the map and I think the only place on there that shows them is
Mexico
.... is that right? I'm just about to do the
Fort Mercer
mission. 8 hours in and 28% complete so far.

You are letting your guard down... that's what they want

Haunted

Best open world since Fallout 3. So full of life with an insane attention to detail, so many little touches that make the world a believable place
and so many comical bugs. :p

Question: does anyone know where Rio del Toro is? It doesn't seem to be marked on any map.

lawblob said:
The music when you ride into Mexico.... glorious...
YES! Just had that scene. Games need more soundtracks with lyrics.

Tokubetsu said:
Again, anyway to end a duel in only one shot?
Target the gun hand.

sw33tclyde said:
If you accidentally pull your gun on an NPC, don't freak out. Just re-holster your weapon and they usually calm down.
Yeah - I lost all my chips at the poker table against some bullshit hand, got a bit puffed and pulled the gun on my two fellow players. One freaks out completely and makes a break for it, but the other calmly pulls his gun as well... we stare at each other for a few tense seconds and then I'm like "fuck it you're right, this isn't worth it." and holster mine again. Awesome moment of involuntary roleplaying. :lol

It's somewhat of a shame that you can't swim in this game.
Agreed. Puzzling design decision since there's barely any water in the game anyway. Very annoying now that I've had more run-ins with San Luis River, though.

kaskade

Can you go back and do the Pike's Basin for social club again? I'm not even sure how it's activated. Is it when you get to the rancher or just enter the basin?

ColonelVirus

Neo Member
Anyone getting issues not being able to connect at all?? I find I can't even connect to most free roams, and when it tries to load me into another, it just sit on the loading screen for ever. I spent about 4 hours last night not playing with my mates. It's amazing. I can play all other games fine, its just this one that seems to hate me :(

ColonelVirus said:
Anyone getting issues not being able to connect at all?? I find I can't even connect to most free roams, and when it tries to load me into another, it just sit on the loading screen for ever. I spent about 4 hours last night not playing with my mates. It's amazing. I can play all other games fine, its just this one that seems to hate me :(

Try going into a private free roam first, and then switching to a public free roam through the select button menu. It worked for a friend of mine who has the same problem.

Raide

Bungieware said:
Seriously though. I've managed to keep the same horse that I got at the very beginning until now....where are they?

They are like fury ninja's. When you don't suspect them being around, then they appear. :lol

nli10

I was going for the skins of some coyotes I could see, I figured bait would bring them out so I could grab them all.

I dropped my first ever bait and then hid in the long grass.

And got raped by a cougar... Up until that point I had no idea there were cougars in the game! :lol Brilliant!!

I guess it's just GTA in fields and a little under-whelming with the same multi-linearity and flaws. Also the horse stuff is really unrealistic (I grew up on a stables so I'm a bit picky in that respect), but possibly the most fun game in it's genre I've played in a long time. I'm just really burnt out on action games at the moment.

Raide

Red Blaster said:
Multiplayer is 100% unplayable with friends, keeps moving us to different free roams. Absolutely pathetic Rockstar.

I played a few games last night with 3 people and its fine. Private game, 1 person starts it and throws out invites for the others. For some silly reason, if you head to the Outfitters to change anything, it does boot you to a private Free Roam, so you need the leader to throw another invite.

dexterslu

So, looking for Beaver's up by Tanner's Ranch - I never realized how AMAZING this place is to hunt for BEARS. I've been killed a few times sometimes by a herd of bears but I've also killed seven in the past fifteen minutes.. so easy way to get that achievement..

Xater

How do you guys get you horses killed by animals? I playe dhte game for more than 15 hours and that never happened to me. I had 2 hrse death and in both cases the pathfinding sucked when I called it and it fell of a cliff.

Gary Whitta said:
Am I missing something here? I just arrived in Mexico, did the shootout on the river crossing. Is there some other entry into Mexico?

Have you started going up that hill yet? I think that's when it kicks in.

kaskade

Two of my horses died by running into the water. Both at that bridge in Thieves Landing. I whistled for one and he ran right past me into the water.

blanky

Xater said:
How do you guys get you horses killed by animals? I playe dhte game for more than 15 hours and that never happened to me. I had 2 hrse death and in both cases the pathfinding sucked when I called it and it fell of a cliff.

Well Rio Bravo has a lot of cougars and they only need to bite your horse once. Those bastards can reallly sneak up on you. I spend 15 minutes trying to get the Master Hunter challenge of kniving two of those fuckers and you really really need to keep your eyes out.

Also Tanner Reach is definetely a great area to hunt around, watch out for them boars though they can get nasty if they have their sights on you. What's the best gun to one shot a bear btw?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Xater said:

I was thinking the same thing until it happened to me. I was around 14 hours and in a completely random spot just heard something in the bush, went into dead aim and shot it twice as it leaped but it ended up one shotting my horse and nearly killing me. If you haven't seen cougars, those are mainly why...I rand into a few others but they ran at me from afar, if they pop out it seems nearly impossible to prevent unless you have a shotgun equipped.

Red Blaster said:
Multiplayer is 100% unplayable with friends, keeps moving us to different free roams. Absolutely pathetic Rockstar.

You're doing it wrong then. I played with a full posse last night through many different games and lobbies and we stayed together no problem. Get everyone in a free roam and then one of you hit the select button, go to the players menu, and send posse invites to all of your friends. Whoever does this is now the posse leader. Now the posse leader must use the select button to join a game, or he can go to one of the poles that activate a match in the free roam.

Gary Whitta said:
Yeah I've already done a few missions in Mexico. WTF?

Shit man, I'll bet you hopped off of your horse after you landed in Mexico. I did the same not realizing it would make the music stop. I'm sure you triggered it right before hopping down. :(

I feel your pain, it's one of the most memorable sequences for me in a long time.

Wiggum2007

I'd kept the same horse since the stallion taming mission, but just now after I returned a bounty target to the Foreman's Office at MacFarlane's, he just keeled over and died. :(

sw33tclyde said:
You're doing it wrong then. I played with a full posse last night through many different games and lobbies and we stayed together no problem. Get everyone in a free roam and then one of you hit the select button, go to the players menu, and send posse invites to all of your friends. Whoever does this is now the posse leader. Now the posse leader must use the select button to join a game, or he can go to one of the poles that activate a match in the free roam.

I can't do this though because when my friends get into a free roam, their names are grayed out and I can't invite them into a posse. It then kicks them to a different free roam.

Wiggum2007 said:
I'd kept the same horse since the stallion taming mission, but just now after I returned a bounty target to the Foreman's Office at MacFarlane's, he just keeled over and died. :(

That sort of thing happened to me. I thought it was very unfair though so I reloaded.... felt a bit bad for doing it, but I wanted the achievement for doing the 20 story mission with the same horse. I won't be reloading again, but I'm definately going to try and keep the same horse for the rest of the game. OUR BOND IS UNBREAKABLE. Just about to enter cougar territory though... god speed.

How exactly do you win duels? What is the method? I won my first one without even trying but I just keep losing all of them since. Also I heard you can disarm someone in a duel. How is that done?

Thanks

Red Blaster said:
I can't do this though because when my friends get into a free roam, their names are grayed out and I can't invite them into a posse. It then kicks them to a different free roam.

Damn I have no idea then. Email rockstar @ RDRsupport@rockstargames.com

I contacted them about a glitch and they got back pretty quickly. There's a R* support guy lurking in here too, he might be able to help.

Gravijah

Meus Renaissance said:
How exactly do you win duels? What is the method? I won my first one without even trying but I just keep losing all of them since. Also I heard you can disarm someone in a duel. How is that done?

Thanks

I always wait for them to draw and then I target their gun, works most of the time. I find painting the target only once works better than constantly targeting.

Meus Renaissance said:

Thanks

Wait until the guy grabs his iron and starts to pull it from his holster. Pull LT/flick the RS down+up and paint a target onto his gun/hand/arm and wait. John will shoot when his draw animation finishes. This is the coolest way I've found to win duels, plus you get extra honor and fame for disarming. :)

Though it depends on the person, this strategy usually works, but with the faster guys(
such as Muller and Eva's lover from the Stranger mission
) I had to resort to drawing right after he did and painting him all over until Marston fires.

Xater

Papercuts said:
I was thinking the same thing until it happened to me. I was around 14 hours and in a completely random spot just heard something in the bush, went into dead aim and shot it twice as it leaped but it ended up one shotting my horse and nearly killing me. If you haven't seen cougars, those are mainly why...I rand into a few others but they ran at me from afar, if they pop out it seems nearly impossible to prevent unless you have a shotgun equipped.

Well and just now my horse was killed by a fucking cougar. :lol

I was boar hunting and that thing came out of nothing.

Klocker

KaYotiX said:
Wow at the multiplayer...if its not Free Roam or Hardcore its dumb.

First off the dead eye meter shouldnt be allowed online, its basically auto-aim and normal aiming is press LT and lock on to enemies. Played a few modes tonight and its basically the winning team gets it easier (they will usually always have full dead eye meters) so when the losing team respawns you just get 4 X's on em and kill them and repeat.

I was on both ends tonight and it just seems broken with the dead eye meter, shouldnt be in MP at all IMO. Free Roam is amazing and Hardcore will be my new place for MP.

/rant

Agreed!!!

I was hating MP (even when I was winning when getting to dead eye refills) until I went to to "Casual" mode. (Never thought I'd do that) and even though it's lock on, there is no dead eye in there so it was much more balanced,compared to normal. Having a blast in there. :lol

Haunted

About duel mechanics - the whiter the cursor when you mark a shot, the more the bar on the right fills. After a certain time has passed, the two bars are evaluated and whichever one's fuller gets to shoot first. A shot to the opponent's gun hand fills the bar completely, therefore ending the marking phase early.

Drawing after your opponent makes aiming easier.

Just got this. Awesome game! My only complaint : no reversible horizontal axis? Really? My brains are melting because of this. And then I HAVE to use casual aiming T_T will it be patched? Please tell me so.

vexvegaz

Picked up the SE edition and got the assasins outfit but what about the war horse and gold guns? Do they come in a separate code card?

Top Bottom