• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

dreamer3kx said:
I haven't seen one bear or boar and I recently got into Mexico.

Was in Free Roam with my roomie and he wanted to find a bear, so we went up to the NE corner of the map. We were wandering around for a good 10 minutes. We split up to make the hunt for the bear easier. I stop on a small ridge to look around and hear this odd grunting noise behind me. I turn around and there's a bear about 4 feet out charging at me to which I yelled out loud. I almost died cause my roomie was laughing at me for actually getting scared :(

To sum it up: Bears find you when you're not looking.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
TheBrain76 said:
How do you shoot off people's hats for sharpshooter level whatever it is?
Find guys who are wearing top hats. Makes it so much easier than trying to shoot regular hats off people (I always just shot them in the head when trying).

xxracerxx said:
Find guys who are wearing top hats. Makes it so much easier than trying to shoot regular hats off people (I always just shot them in the head when trying).

Shoot towards the side of the hat also.

Here's a "pro tip" for some of you guys just starting in MP. Instead of riding across the map for the fiftieth time to get to another gang hideout you can find the wagon wheel in any city and transport. I'm sure this is obvious to most but I am not observant.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
zero margin said:
Shoot towards the side of the hat also.

Here's a "pro tip" for some of you guys just starting in MP. Instead of riding across the map for the fiftieth time to get to another gang hideout you can find the wagon wheel in any city and transport. I'm sure this is obvious to most but I am not observant.

Being a part of a posse on horseback or riding in a coach beats fast traveling.

sazabirules said:
Being a part of a posse on horseback or riding in a coach beats fast traveling.

Hence when I said the fiftieth time, trust me it will get old.

EDIT - OR if you need to take a piss, good reason to use it.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
What's the point of spoiler marking stuff if people don't say what it's in relation to first? You only end up highlighting it then realise you've ruined a bit for yourself because you had to highlight it to see if you've played that bit or not.

:lol

UrbanRats

Gen X said:
What's the point of spoiler marking stuff if people don't say what it's in relation to first? You only end up highlighting it then realise you've ruined a bit for yourself because you had to highlight it to see if you've played that bit or not.

:lol
DAMN YOU! :lol

Aesius

A few random thoughts after 20 hours of play:

-I feel like the GTA series was just practice for this. Seriously. Open world now belongs to period games, period. Everything about the game is so much more intriguing than GTA (and I love the GTA series.) And hell yes to the next Rockstar franchise being about pirates (make it happen!)

-Money has already become meaningless, and that saddens me. It's bound to happen sooner or later in a game like this, but I always appreciate games where the economy actually matters and the game rewards you with money rather than just throwing it at you.

-Speaking of which - I think the game could have benefited from more RPG elements. I'd like to have seen some unique weapons and even stat increases. Something to make me feel like I'm progressing as a character (rather than just new outfits and "better" Dead Eye.) Also, I wish the random treasures you find throughout the world contained more useful items instead of money.

-I wish all of the bounty missions weren't so similar and generic. I'd like to have seen less of them, but for each guy to have a back story about his crimes and a unique personality. And have them all be guarding worthwhile treasure.

Anyway, those are just a few small complaints. Overall, the game is fantastic. I'm playing this immediately after finishing TBOGT and this is a much, much more enjoyable experience. Hats off to R*.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
Aesius said:
A few random thoughts after 20 hours of play:

-Money has already become meaningless,

Wait, what have you been doing to have so much money? I have been fluctuating between $0 and $1500 so far. I wish I had enough money to dub it meaningless.

Voyevoda007

Neo Member
Ending spoiler

I beat the game 3 days ago and i'm still pissed about the ending. He wanted out....why did they kill him?. John didn't deserve to go out that way imo. Anyways it's just a game but fuck that goverment guy.

Aesius

Big Ass Ramp said:
Wait, what have you been doing to have so much money? I have been fluctuating between $0 and $1500 so far.

Bounties captured alive bring in $400 a pop. I did three in a row earlier in about 30 minutes. Combine that with hunting (eagle feathers FTW), story missions, stranger missions, random occurrence missions - the money piles up quickly.

I just bought deeds for the Hungarian Half-Bred and the Kentucky Saddler, so my money dropped down to $2000ish. Still - all I ever need now is tobacco, medicine, and horse pills.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Oh man I just got to Mexico and it is glorious.
The 3rd level of Dead Eye is so good, too. This game just keeps getting better.

My biggest pet peeve is the weapon wheel. Hate it. Can't tell what the best damn gun is in a category (MP this is, SP they're numbered 1 of 2, 4 of 4, etc.), it will change current equipped guns on you(bug I guess but annoying when you think you're using the newest unlock and it turns out it's one of the others you have), wheel is clunky, takes a lot of practice to be able to change on the fly. That covers it.

Voyevoda007 said:
Ending spoiler

I beat the game 3 days ago and i'm still pissed about the ending. He wanted out....why did they kill him?. John didn't deserve to go out that way imo. Anyways it's just a game but fuck that goverment guy.

Did you do the part after that?
talk to the question mark person in Blackwater

Teknoman

zero margin said:
My biggest pet peeve is the weapon wheel. Hate it. Can't tell what the best damn gun is in a category (MP this is, SP they're numbered 1 of 2, 4 of 4, etc.), it will change current equipped guns on you(bug I guess but annoying when you think you're using the newest unlock and it turns out it's one of the others you have), wheel is clunky, takes a lot of practice to be able to change on the fly. That covers it.

Did you do the part after that?
talk to the question mark person in Blackwater

Look in the menu under weapons for the various stats.

Teknoman said:
Look in the menu under weapons for the various stats.

That's for MP also? That could be, wasn't too sure about that part, still would be nice if it would show you in the radial menu somehow. Won't be an issue after you've played for a while.

EDIT - wanted to add I reallly like how you can do private free roam and have everything carry over to public, sometimes public can be tough when a big posse wants to just grief you while doing hideouts for XP.

Lonestar said:
Game is insanely good. It's fun, lots of different things to do, Music is great, and obviously, the Visuals are fricken top notch.

But the game hit the Metaphysically good, when I first hit Mexico, a song comes up ("Far Away") and I'm just slowly galloping along the side of the cliff by the river, sun is just coming up. Just spectacular.

Agreed. I'm not as far as you but it's been great. Not sure if it's been mentioned yet but I shot some guy off of a balcony and he did the Wilhelm scream.

The devil's in the details.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Just beat it and did the extra sequence to get the credits.

Pretty great game all around, just wish they'd done a better job with the characterizations of the dudes you're hunting. You never really get to know any of them and thus it's hard to have a stake in what is going on.

34 hours total, 92% complete.

Loxley

Voyevoda007 said:
Ending spoiler

While I too was taken back my the ending at first,
I really ended up liking it. Few developers have the balls to flat-out kill the protagonist (even more so when the player has just spent 20+ hours getting to know the character), much less have the game continue on after that. Besides, at least Marston went out like a total badass :D Now that I've played the game for around four or so hours after having completed the story as well as the epilogue mission, Jack is starting to grow on me. The fact that R* went and recorded all of his dialogue with a separate voice actor just so you could continue with all of the side-mission things was really cool.

AniHawk

I know almost nothing about this game but I really really want to play it. It sorta looks like it has more in common with San Andreas than GTA IV. The multiplayer aspect sounds really cool too.

Ledsen

Does anyone else have the wrong playtime in the stats? I got the game at 10am on release, at 4pm it said I'd played for 12 hours -_-' and its' been counting from there. Really annoying.

butts

Up ahead on a trail a guy on horseback came to a stop and hopped off, ran across the trail to a rock on the other side and was just standing there facing the rock. At first I thought he had glitched out, but I got closer and saw that he was pissing on the rock :lol He finished, hopped back on his horse, and took off!

It took me 5 frustrating tries with horseshoes to finally figure out that you had to aim with L2 first to line up the throw. I thought I was just really bad at pushing the stick forward straight.

This is Rockstar's masterpiece. This is leagues ahead of anything else they have put out.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Hopped on to try to get some Mexico missions done.

"Come back between 5am and 2pm."

Okay...so I fast travel to another guy's missions.

"Come back tomorrow between 10am and..."

PS Button > Shut Down System.

Fuck that noise. That bullshit annoys me nowadays.

Greg

Kintaro said:
Hopped on to try to get some Mexico missions done.

"Come back between 5am and 2pm."

Okay...so I fast travel to another guy's missions.

"Come back tomorrow between 10am and..."

PS Button > Shut Down System.

Fuck that noise. That bullshit annoys me nowadays.
Yeah, I never really had a problem with that until I got to Mexico... and then it got pretty annoying.

Best thing to do is build a campsite and spam save until it's within the correct range.

ElyrionX

Ok, started this game yesterday. I see that I have a deed for the warhorse in my inventory. How does this work? Will it replace the horse hitched outside my home if I use it? I notice that my horse became more loyal to me and got a stamina boost. Can the horse possibly die resulting in me needing to build up loyalty with another horse?

Greg

ElyrionX said:
Ok, started this game yesterday. I see that I have a deed for the warhorse in my inventory. How does this work? Will it replace the horse hitched outside my home if I use it? I notice that my horse became more loyal to me and got a stamina boost. Can the horse possibly die resulting in me needing to build up loyalty with another horse?
You can only save 1 horse at a time, and using the deed will replace whatever horse you currently have hitched. Horse deeds can be used as many times as you want to use them.

And yeah, you need to build the loyalty back up if you get a new horse, but from my experience it 'levels' faster after you've done it the first time. It's not much to be concerned about or plan your game around.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Greg said:
Yeah, I never really had a problem with that until I got to Mexico... and then it got pretty annoying.

Best thing to do is build a campsite and spam save until it's within the correct range.

Which brings me to another thing that annoys me. I did that near the house. When you come out of the save, you're in a whole new area away from the house...then I was mauled by cougars. :lol

Lame.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Guys, how the fuck do you find hunting grounds for animals in free roam? I do not understand =(

weeneo

Neo Member
how can i get rid of those ridiculous looking gold weapons? i downloaded the dlc from the limited editon, but i think always having gold weapons sucks.

Snuggler said:
Damn, I suck at the multiplayer. For every kill I get I die like 5 times. It's still fun though.
We were playing hardcore, it takes some getting used to. We need to play again sometime when we get everyone together.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Mr_Guillotine said:
We were playing hardcore, it takes some getting used to. We need to play again sometime when we get everyone together.

For sure, it was like 4:30 am so I had to bail out.
I guess my 3rd person shooter skills from games like Uncharted and Gears don't really carry over to RDR so I'll have to nut up and get better.

Snuggler said:
For sure, it was like 4:30 am so I had to bail out.
I guess my 3rd person shooter skills from games like Uncharted and Gears don't really carry over to RDR so I'll have to nut up and get better.
Yeah no problem, anytime you see me or crisco on feel free to join or just ask us. Yeah, it's awkward at first but easy to catch on to.

WingM@n

Loving the game, but it has so many bugs and glitches.
I've seen people disappear right in front of me, people hovering above the air, horses got stuck in walls. The game locked up a few times on me.

And the piano man his chair was on his head/shoulders :lol
attachment-M39XCV.jpg

G_Berry

Banned
Just progressed
into Mexico for the first time. When the Jose Gonzales track started playing
I knew this was one of, if not the best games I think I have ever played. I thought it was amazing anyway but this, this just topped it off.

I'd also like to note how well they have managed to create to effect of distance. Most games that have mountain backdrops or objects off in the distance usually have crud textures or no DOF effects making the objects look a lot closer than they are. This game however has nailed it perfectly.

Well done Rockstar!

Top Bottom