• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Haunted said:
Stop doing main missions for a while and do challenges instead, or just ride around and take part in the random encounters that are going on all around you. My ratio is like 10:1 peripheral stuff (which means no cutscenes) and main missions. Much easier to take a long cutscene in every now and then when you wisely balance it out.

If you just want to get through the story as quickly as possible and follow the story markers... well, don't be surprised if you get a lot of story served. :p

Pretty much or I'd take a break to play poker or something.

blanky

Haunted said:
Ah, interesting. Where can I look at those? I only see the number of bounties I've caught on the ingame stats page (8, 4 dead and 4 alive), but not out of how many.

http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/games/rdr/stats.html

though it only says how many you have completed doesn't say who. So it's not very helpful in that case. Also Social Club has some bugs of its own which they point out when you press the info circle, so if you see stuff there that isn't representative of what you've actually been doing don't worry.

@zero-margin Honours gets you discounts at the stores but that's it.

BeeDog

The only real problem I have with the game so far story-wise is how R* go the extra length to present a grey moral area and shove moral lessons down your throat. "I may be a grave robber, but at least I steal from those already dead HERP DERP" or "I may be conning idiots off their money, but you put your gun in their face HERP DERPADERPDERP". I think every character so far references back to John's past, and it's becoming very ham-fisted.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I like Liar's Dice. It's surprisingly fun, and I've played a game like this in real life with other people but with cards.

Poker...I need to be able to see my cards and the table at the same time. :D

Haunted

blanky said:
http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/games/rdr/stats.html

though it only says how many you have completed doesn't say who. So it's not very helpful in that case. Also Social Club has some bugs of its own which they point out when you press the info circle, so if you see stuff there that isn't representative of what you've actually been doing don't worry.
Even then, it doesn't tell me how many there are in total (bounties are on the score tab, right?), only how many I did. Anyway, if you say there are
twenty
, I believe you. :) Thanks for the help.

blanky

Haunted said:
Even then, it doesn't tell me how many there are in total (bounties are on the score tab, right?), only how many I did. Anyway, if you say there are
twenty
, I believe you. :) Thanks for the help.

No you have to check the 100% area. Also a nice place to see which Gang Hideout you still have to do, or which houses are left to buy etc.

BeeDog said:
The only real problem I have with the game so far story-wise is how R* go the extra length to present a grey moral area and shove moral lessons down your throat. "I may be a grave robber, but at least I steal from those already dead HERP DERP" or "I may be conning idiots off their money, but you put your gun in their face HERP DERPADERPDERP". I think every character so far references back to John's past, and it's becoming very ham-fisted.
Subtley is not one of Rockstars strong suits.

Haunted

I just did the
Fort Mercer
gang hideout. Went a couple meters out in the wild afterwards and the starting point suddenly got triggered again. So of course, I go in again. But the funny part is that the enemies hadn't respawned yet, so I cleared the whole thing in about 30 seconds since there were only two people in there. :lol I wonder if that's counted as legitimate.

blanky said:
No you have to check the 100% area. Also a nice place to see which Gang Hideout you still have to do, or which houses are left to buy etc.
ah! *slaps head*

Thanks, man. :D

Picked it up last night. So far pretty fun. I'm a bit confused the sticker on it said exclusive PS3 content and Rockstar states you get an additional outfit from joining their social site. I cannot get either of these to work.

Piper Az said:
My question so far in the story is what's Seth's role? I'm just helping him out going after some hidden treasure but I don't understand what that's about in regards to storming the fort.

Seth's
your "inside man" to get into the Fort, he works with the guy your after on occasion so they trust him somewhat (about as well as you could trust a guy like Seth). Dicken's doesn't lay out his plan very well from what I've seen, but it's to get you in by smuggling you in his wagon, which he's gathering money to armor plate. He'll also put you in contact with another buddy of his named Irish, to get a Gatling gun to install

bestami

I spent an hour to collect 5 beaver furs. Then i rode for 30 minutes to turn them in and i realized they were not in my inventory. I didn't realized up until this point that i loose the shit i collected if i die. Fucking bears. I was planning for %100 but i am kinda burned out on the sandbox aspect of the game at the moment. Gonna try to finish up the story.

Barrett2

These goddamn coyotes are out to get me. In Mexico, at the eastern-most part of the map, that shit is coyote central. After a particular mission, i had to climb on top of a goddamn train because the whole effing forest full of wolves / coyotes or whatever they were was trying to get me. I was standing on top of the train using deadeye to mow down a herd of them!!

Raide

lawblob said:
These goddamn coyotes are out to get me. In Mexico, at the eastern-most part of the map, that shit is coyote central. After a particular mission, i had to climb on top of a goddamn train because the whole effing forest full of wolves / coyotes or whatever they were was trying to get me. I was standing on top of the train using deadeye to mow down a herd of them!!
:lol

3 questions:
What does IOTI mean?
How can I win a duel? I pull my gun, mark the enemy and press R2 but nothing happens. So I got shot twice by the same foulmouthing asshole...
When is it snowing in the game?

I only just now realised you can replay missions from the pause menu, and you can aim for gold medals (I didn't even know there were medals until I got an achievement for getting a gold one). Holy crap, this game is overflowing with stuff to do.

Majine

Banned
Ben2749 said:
I only just now realised you can replay missions from the pause menu, and you can aim for gold medals (I didn't even know there were medals until I got an achievement for getting a gold one). Holy crap, this game is overflowing with stuff to do.
I don't get how you're supposed to get gold medals. I am pretty fast, and I rarely die, but all I ever get is bronze.

Magnus

Patrick Bateman said:
3 questions:
What does IOTI mean?
How can I win a duel? I pull my gun, mark the enemy and press R2 but nothing happens. So I got shot twice by the same foulmouthing asshole...

It's a revamp of the forum's thread nomenclature. :lol

More like " | OT |" - where OT = official thread

Loxley

Patrick Bateman said:
3 questions:
What does IOTI mean?
Official Thread/Topic

You shoot when the animation finishes. However, to get the animation to finish as fast as possible, when you mark the other guy, wait until the cross-hairs turn white, then mark it. If you just randomly place the marks anywhere on his body, the animation takes an abdsurd amount of time to finish. Just remember that the idea behind dueling is take out your opponent with a few well-paced shots.

Oh, and marking the other guy's hand and shooting his gun is really fast way to end it, and without killing him.

The places on the map that are about as far north as you can go, those are the snowy areas.

painey

finally got the 5 beaver furs, but had to kill about 30 because the corpses kept clipping through the land and I couldn't skin them.

Kinitari said:
Question, is there anyway to see what sort of horse you currently own?

Apparently it is meant to tell you when you press select and are looking at your equipment and stuff but due to some dodgy aspect ratio they put on the game the info about your horse is not in sight, there patching it soon tho apparently.

blanky

painey said:
finally got the 5 beaver furs, but had to kill about 30 because the corpses kept clipping through the land and I couldn't skin them.

Well i thought the same, but someone on a few pages earlier pointed out that anything too high caliber for those small animals might actually "exploding" which sounds logical, but there's no "explosion" animation though. Still when you use weaker firearms or a knife they don't dissapear.

Nista

Haunted said:
I guess those stereotypes were prevalent back then? I dunno, I'm not too good with US history of the early 20th century.

But man, you should play poker with the General Store shopkeeper in Armadillo. It's just one big torrent of anti-semitic propaganda. Felt good when I removed him from the table
... permanently. :eek:

Ahh good old Herbert Moon. One of the few guys who I go out of my way to shoot in the face. :lol

And if you've ever watched Deadwood, you'd see similar anti-semitic comments made about the shopkeeper. So it's kind of the inverse in this case.

painey

blanky said:
Well i thought the same, but someone on a few pages earlier pointed out that anything too high caliber for those small animals might actually "exploding" which sounds logical, but there's no "explosion" animation though. Still when you use weaker firearms or a knife they don't dissapear.

I was using standard issue revolver for the kills and they were still vanishing. I think the only ones that didn't were the ones I used dead eye on.

lawblob said:

haha, wow, that sounds damn fun.

why cant i have this game already!? im so fucking annoyed. cannot find a single PS3 copy in the whole city i live in.

bathala

Banned
Patrick Bateman said:
3 questions:
What does IOTI mean?
one of the R* guys gave some pointers in here and really help.

just wait for the guy to pull out his gun and place ur cursor on his gun hand. Paint it. Shoot.

one hit win.

Multiplayer on this is so fun, damn. I've barely played the single but I my friends and I have put around 30 hours just screwing around on free roam doing challenges and versus games. Mostly just wandering around and doing who knows what like randomly throwing dynamite at each other or shooting someones horse while riding. That's funny as hell.

soldat7

lawblob said:

I think there are too many deadly animal encounters in this game. I wish they'd thin these encounters out a bit in a patch. There are some areas I can't even enjoy due to the constant threat of wolves, coyotes, or cougars.

And on a side note, I wish that the random encounters along the roadside weren't so repetitive. I'm hoping that there will be a bit more variety in the other areas (still in New Austin.) I'm tired of fetching runaway thugs for deputies, rescuing wives for farmers, and Herbert Moon.

Y2Kev said:
So I think the missions are better than standard GTA fare--I mean riding alongside a train on horseback while firing with a gang is awesomesauce and reminds me of San Andreas--but the narrative thrust of the story is shot to hell. Once again the GTA formula of doing random garbage for crap NPCs where you distinctly help every side against the middle takes hold. The one difference I would say is that the mid-game refresh of characters brings some stronger characters, much stronger than anything in GTA4. But still, it's like, Rockstar seems to hate writing normal people. Which is a shame, because they are really good at it. Would anyone argue that Bonnie and John have a very real, very believable, very honest relationship? Why does Seth even need to be in this game? Fucking shit character.

This sort of bullshit appears again when John works with (Mexico spoilers)
De Santa and the Mexican Army
. Frankly, there's no way in hell John would work with those scumbags and it demeaned his character in my eyes.

It's especially funny when (more Mexico spoilers)
De Santa betrays John by saying they captured Williamson and Escuela in Chuparosa and John believed him in spite of the fact De Santa basically sent him to get killed on the previous mission.

This game has so many bugs when you play it on a Japanese PS3 :(

All because the game cannot decide if X and O buttons are switched or not. Sometimes it tells you X when it really is O and other times X really is X. Half of the time, the button is mapped to 2 different functions at the same time.

I cannot play the arm wrestling game at all because I am supposed to tap X, but X is the same function that asks if you want to leave the game. O does nothing. I hope I don't ahve to win arm wrestling to complete the main story, otherwise I am Fked. Even when playing card games every time I press X to place a bet, it asks me if I want to quit the game. It lets me continue anyway. So annoying.

I'm afraid they are never going to patch this because it only affects a couple hundred people. :( :(

Sh0k

I know I asked before, but how do you use the treasure maps ? I have the one for Hanging Rock and as someone suggested to look at the similar places drawn on the map, but I may have spent 1 hour looking around and still no sign of a treasure :(

Sh0k said:
I know I asked before, but how do you use the treasure maps ? I have the one for Hanging Rock and as someone suggested to look at the similar places drawn on the map, but I may have spent 1 hour looking around and still no sign of a treasure :(

You're in the right place. You just need to look more carefully. It is not more than a stones throw from the noose itself. So if you are wandering away from that rocky area, you have wandered too far.

Alucrid

Banned
PuppetMaster said:
This game has so many bugs when you play it on a Japanese PS3 :(

All because the game cannot decide if X and O buttons are switched or not. Sometimes it tells you X when it really is O and other times X really is X. Half of the time, the button is mapped to 2 different functions at the same time.

I cannot play the arm wrestling game at all because I am supposed to tap X, but X is the same function that asks if you want to leave the game. O does nothing. I hope I don't ahve to win arm wrestling to complete the main story, otherwise I am Fked. Even when playing card games every time I press X to place a bet, it asks me if I want to quit the game. It lets me continue anyway. So annoying.

I'm afraid they are never going to patch this because it only affects a couple hundred people. :( :(

Main story? No. Costume? Yes.

soldat7 said:
I think there are too many deadly animal encounters in this game. I wish they'd thin these encounters out a bit in a patch. There are some areas I can't even enjoy due to the constant threat of wolves, coyotes, or cougars.

And on a side note, I wish that the random encounters along the roadside weren't so repetitive. I'm hoping that there will be a bit more variety in the other areas (still in New Austin.) I'm tired of fetching runaway thugs for deputies, rescuing wives for farmers, and Herbert Moon.

I never had a problem with them. The only one I had trouble with was Bears in Tall Trees. I'd kill one, then when I would be about to skin it, another would pop out, leading to a chain of 4-5 bears. :lol

DRock

has yet to tasted the golden nectar that is tag
I thought it was a nice touch that they tell the story of
Red Harlow and his deeds from the first RDR game
during one of the fireside chats.

syllogism said:
:lol :lol

How could something even glitch like that, the woman even has the horses' galloping animation :lol I call shenanigans, Rockstar.

Also;

Mechanical Snowman said:
Can't get the game until next week, but I thought I'd throw some questions around in here :D

Firstly, are there a lot of towns scattered around the land, or maybe just 2 or 3 main ones and the rest is wilderness? And in the towns how much of the buildings have interiors? And second, can you shoot and lasso while riding on horseback, like the equivalent of drive-bying in IV?

Anyone? =[

Loxley

Firstly, are there a lot of towns scattered around the land, or maybe just 2 or 3 main ones and the rest is wilderness?

The game has a plentiful amount of small settlements and lodges scattered throughout the world, in addition to the two three or so main towns that are in each individual section of the world (New Austin, Mexico, Great Plains).

And in the towns how much of the buildings have interiors?

Depends on the town, but I can say not every building in every town is "enter-able". A good portion of them are. But in some of the bigger settlements there are a number of buildings with permanently closed doors (despite being stores and things that would be open all the time in reality :D)

And second, can you shoot and lasso while riding on horseback, like the equivalent of drive-bying in IV?

Yep :)

Top Bottom