• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Revolutionary said:
I think the game "spoils you" because you guys are going at the missions back-to-back-to-back with the same mission giver. What I do, and what I've always done in GTA's is hop around from mission giver to mission giver.
Pretty sure that's what R* want you to do, and the game even (unfortunately) assumes you do as well, thus spoiling you guys in the process.

Well, that's their bad design. If they truly want to funnel you through the story, they just do that. How is it my fault if I finish a mission with the guy and he is still the closest guy to you for the next mission? Sometimes, two steps away. No. It's their own fault and they should have thought it through better.

blanky

MMaRsu said:
Anyone else trying to get through the SP story fast because you want to open up all the area's before you do too much ambient challenges? I'm doing that mostly.. I mean I'm doing lots of side stuff like stranger missions etc but I haven't really touched the challenges yet.

I've been actually doing everything at the same time but mixing them. So i've finished most of the things in New Austin and the 2nd section now. I enjoyed it the most this way so I don't get too burned out on the story because as some said it's typical Niko. I really wish you could make a choice there instead of indifferent eating from both sides which really doesn't make much sense with Marston and it's frustrating/aggrevating. The atmosphere and gameplay more than make up for it though.

@Meus Resistance i'm up for some roaming (gt apoks)

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Man I keep getting sidetracked in this game.

"Welp time to go do some missions...oh wait your friend is being hung, gotta go save him! Oh you're being chased by wolves I'll save ya.."

I need to help them all!

Thanks to that my horse almost got stolen, some limping guy came up to me asking for a ride into town, I figure why not I like to help. The bastard then runs past me, hops onto my horse and goes "on second thought I'll just take your's!"

He storms off and I luckily am able to shoot him in the back of the head.

Teknoman said:
The new list in the online topic, we doing away with the original posse sheets?

blanky said:
@Meus Resistance i'm up for some roaming (gt apoks)

If you add the GAF gamertag 'GAF Read Dead (you read right), I can just invite everyone there into a party. Makes it easier rather than adding individuals and having to remove some to make room.

Playing this game really makes me want to go watch Deadwood again.

Have to say, being 10 hours in or so while I feel the shooting is miles better than GTA4; Rockstar better completely rehaul the cover mechanics, controls for GTA5, RDR2.

blanky

Meus Renaissance said:
If you add the GAF gamertag 'GAF Read Dead (you read right), I can just invite everyone there into a party. Makes it easier rather than adding individuals and having to remove some to make room.

did that earlier this afternoon. Maybe we can make a 16 player posse! ride into the sunset emptying revolvers

blanky said:
did that earlier this afternoon. Maybe we can make a 16 player posse! ride into the sunset emptying revolvers

I just sent out a msg to most of the people on that list (couldnt msg the rest because of a limit). I'm not sure if you were one of those people but we are riding out in around an hour. As of this moment, there are 6 GAF members including you and me confirming their saddles for that

DevelopmentArrested said:
Playing this game really makes me want to go watch Deadwood again.

Have to say, being 10 hours in or so while I feel the shooting is miles better than GTA4; Rockstar better completely rehaul the cover mechanics, controls for GTA5, RDR2.

I know what you mean. They reduced the overall lag in the gunplay/cover system. For example in GTAIV, you pull the trigger, there's a slight delay in firing and so if you wanted to fire multiple bullets for a handgun, you held it down instead of pressing it one button at a time. It's still isn't at the level of polished 3rd person shooters but it feels a ton better.

Teknoman

Meus Renaissance said:

No i mean the GAF posse sheets that someone made before the game released. There is a new online topic that was posted today, with completely blank google spreadsheet lists.

New: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=396145
Old: http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=tGFkEuDwivq9eptOadfHGrg&single=true&gid=0&output=html

I hate it when I was in the middle of a beautfiul cozy thunderstorm, and then when I go do Bonnie's mission, it turns to completely sunny. Completely killed the immersion.

Teknoman said:
No i mean the GAF posse sheets that someone made before the game released. There is a new online topic that was posted today, with completely blank google spreadsheet lists.

New: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=396145
Old: http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=tGFkEuDwivq9eptOadfHGrg&single=true&gid=0&output=html
Fail #1: Created a brand new Online Thread when the official thread is basically both combined
Fail #2: Created a brand new spreadsheet, ignoring the hundreds of names already on the other ones
Fail #3: "Put a bounty a your head"

Wtf, Kilgore? Were you drunk when you made this? :lol

VindicatorZ said:
I hate it when I was in the middle of a beautfiul cozy thunderstorm, and then when I go do Bonnie's mission, it turns to completely sunny. Completely killed the immersion.
That doesn't always happen. It probably had to be sunny for Bonnie's mission, for some reason. I've had to go through a bunch of missions in thunderstorms because I started them during one.

Dante

Enjoying this Waaaaaaaaaay more than GTAIV, much more interesting setting and characters, Music is also amazing. Like someone else mentioned makes me want to go watch Deadwood again :)

renzo

I found a bug ad is very disturbing, when i try to use a bait, the character use the item and can´t move, can´t fire and only stands there waiting for the animals to kill him
:lol

Vyer

Kintaro said:
Well, that's their bad design. If they truly want to funnel you through the story, they just do that. How is it my fault if I finish a mission with the guy and he is still the closest guy to you for the next mission? Sometimes, two steps away. No. It's their own fault and they should have thought it through better.
F that. Funneling through (more than it already does) in an open world game is a horrible idea.

There's so much to do I don't mind having to come back later for one of the contacts.

MaxSteel

when you go to the gunsmith and look at new guns, it shows you their stats. but how do you compare that to the guns you currently have? this should be easy to do - why isn't it? frustrating.

Leunam said:
I signed on to the social club (PS3). Don't I get a costume for signing up?

Yes you do, you need to sign into your rockstar account while actually playing the game, press start and its one of the bottom options like community or something like that.

Dabanton

Revolutionary said:
I think the game "spoils you" because you guys are going at the missions back-to-back-to-back with the same mission giver. What I do, and what I've always done in GTA's is hop around from mission giver to mission giver.
Pretty sure that's what R* want you to do, and the game even (unfortunately) assumes you do as well, thus spoiling you guys in the process.

Agree sounds like some people are just rushing through mission after mission.

Take your time, what i do is complete a mission then do some wandering/hunting then go to town to exchange any animals bits and bobs i acquired then if i see a question mark i'll usually do one of those missons especially if the area also holds outfit quest items/tasks as well,then i do another misson for another character that way it's all spaced out.

The beauty with these games is you can take your time it's not going anywhere there is so much to do. And to see people just trying to beat it as fast as they can is a little weird.

Xater

Just finished the story mode. Yeah absolutely amazing. The only problem I had was with the
mexican army
stuff that someone else already mentioned.

Rockstar suprised me with this game somewhat. I knew I would like it but it really is an improvement over GTA4 and of course the first Red Dead. Now I am actually looking forward to Max Payne 3. Let's see what they can do.

Dabanton

Xater said:
Just finished the story mode. Yeah absolutely amazing. The only problem I had was with the
mexican army
stuff that someone else already mentioned.

Rockstar suprised me with this game somewhat. I knew I would like it but it really is an improvement over GTA4 and of course the first Red Dead. Now I am actually looking forward to Max Payne 3. Let's see what they can do.

Glad to see someone else is looking forward to seeing what they've done with Max Payne.

Like i've said hundreds of time huge swathes of Gaf is going to eat crow regarding that game. :D

wRATH2x

Banned
I got this game yesterday and holy shit is it awesome!

Rockstar have proven themselves after the shit that was GTA IV. I'm only in like the early parts of the game but so far its been a helluva ride!

Xater

Dabanton said:
Glad to see someone else is looking forward to seeing what they've done with Max Payne.

Like i've said hundreds of time huge swathes of Gaf is going to eat crow regarding that game. :D

Well R* did mature somewhat with this title. My faith returned that they can do a really gritty Max Payne.

Red Dead also has some awesome use of music near the end.

Did also everyone get the Plainview location name reference? That's pretty perfect. I didn't really check if any of the other places ring any bells.

Leunam

kyo_daikun said:
Yes you do, you need to sign into your rockstar account while actually playing the game, press start and its one of the bottom options like community or something like that.

Awesome, thanks.

I've always done that, too, but then you run into silly stuff like where it's obvious you should have already done a set of missions. I left a bunch of the Bonnie missions alone, for instance, then I go back to them and they're basically tutorial missions (no wonder I didn't have a lasso yet, e.g.) and feel way out of place.

And I also agree with the person who said that if you finish one mission and the next mission pops up five feet away - you're sort of forcing yourself not to take it right away in that instance.

Dresden

wRATH2x said:
I got this game tomorrow and holy shit is it awesome!

Rockstar have proven themselves after the shit that was GTA IV. I'm only in like the early parts of the game but so far its been a helluva ride!
Dude, you're in the future, man! Come back before you slip away forever!

chixdiggit

Tempted to get this after reading through some posts. Don't know if the PC version will be worth the wait or should I just grab it on console?

owlbeak

YES!! Finally got my single player to load up and work!

How I had to get it to work was very strange. It wouldn't load single player if I was signed into my profile, so I signed out and started single player and it worked. I got to an autosave point and then quit. When I signed in, I was returned to the menu and then tried to play single player and it said I had more than 1 single player save. I was confused so I went to the memory manager and looked at my HD and there was no single player save file there, but on my memory unit there WAS. I copied that save to my HD and voila! Started up single player and it loaded like a charm! :D :D

Marvie_3

Banned
MaxSteel said:
when you go to the gunsmith and look at new guns, it shows you their stats. but how do you compare that to the guns you currently have? this should be easy to do - why isn't it? frustrating.
You can check your weapon stats under the "Weapons" option on the pause screen.

calder

Such an amazing game. Just got to Mexico last night, having a blast. :D I did freak out a bit when I passed the wounded marshal on the crashed prison coach who asked me to get the escapees back. For the first time I lassoed both of them and brought the back alive... only when I dumped hogtied criminal #2 at his feet the lawman thanked me and then hobbled over to the first guy, pulled out his pistol and shot him in the back of the head, then limped over to the second guy and executed him too. :lol I sat there on my horse going "wtf, I would have shot them my own damn self and saved a lot of effort had I known" while he starts walking back down the road.

My only problems with the game are some control issues, mainly switching weapons and going into deadeye mode in a hurry. Nothing made me as angry as having like 20+ wolf pelts and hearts and a giant pile of herbs only to die like a chump when a cougar killed me because I went to grab my gun and pulled the freaking knife instead (stupid hunter challenge). Oh and there's the usual open world glitches and annoyances, my horse got stuck on a table outside a saloon but they aren't as bad or as frequent as many open world games. I do chuckle at how often I'm riding to a dot on my map to help someone only to have to kill 20 guys to get to him... and then he asks for my help clearing out the area I just scoured clear of evil doers. At least it makes the mission end fast instead of respawning the same guys. ;)

Dabanton

chixdiggit said:
Tempted to get this after reading through some posts. Don't know if the PC version will be worth the wait or should I just grab it on console?

Just grab it on console for now.

The PC version of GTA:IV was horrendous until they fixed some of the many problems that game had but even that took a while.

johnnyg87

Neo Member
Did anyone else find that Jose Gonzalez song when you
go into Mexico
completely euphoric? One of the most memorable uses of a licensed song in a game that I can remember... awesome.

Snookie

So somehow I failed the American Appetite mission for the Deadly Assassin outfit? I'm not sure what to do at this point? I can't quite restart it because i've save since it said completed and then it said failed. I don't know. I'm thinking i'm screwed :(

TTG

I think it's about time to leave the first area, wanted to check in to see if I've unlocked most of the stuff I should have before going. I got 7 outfits done with another 2(one sidequest that I don't see and the level 10 suit) still locked, the others I haven't discovered. 6 stranger missions done with another 3 pending and I think that's about it.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
johnnyg87 said:
Did anyone else find that Jose Gonzalez song when you
go into Mexico
completely euphoric? One of the most memorable uses of a licensed song in a game that I can remember... awesome.

This didn't happen for me.
My entrance into Mexico was after that raft mission. Did you guys enter some other way? If not, my game bugged out in this way too.

I didn't get a song until
the ride home to your wife and son.

Seanspeed

Banned
Spriig said:
I have a bounty of almost $3,000 and my Honour cant go down any further. Unless you count your honour going down as a punishment i don't really see what punishment your getting. Its very very easy to escape, be it riding away on a horse, shooting the officers or simply not getting caught in the first place.
Well you have to pay that $3000 if you want to ever 'run free'. On top of that, you have no honor. I think thats quite a punishment just cuz you wanted to have some random fun in a 'sandbox' game.

And thats my point. People were talking about how this game reminded them of GTA:SA in terms of the 'fun' of it all. But that was a bunch of horsecrap. Its NOTHING like that game. Past GTA's have NEVER punished you so much for choosing to do something bad. And that was a good thing, because half the fun of these games is just taking a load off and messing around, doing stupid stuff. To do that in this game, you have to go save, turn off auto-save, have your fun, then restart. A bit unnecessary, if you ask me.

And as far as me just 'sucking' at this game, maybe thats true. But I'm not some beginner gamer, so I dont think I'm gonna be completely alone in this. Maybe you guys are all just awesome? Congrats to you guys, but I'm just trying to figure this game out better so I dont keep turning it off all the time because its frustrating.

Neverfade

Snookie said:
So somehow I failed the American Appetite mission for the Deadly Assassin outfit? I'm not sure what to do at this point? I can't quite restart it because i've save since it said completed and then it said failed. I don't know. I'm thinking i'm screwed :(
I've failed a quest before. Just wait several ingame days and it will all reset.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Any way to not get shot at in Thieve's Landing if I am honorable? I really want to play Liar's Dice for the Strangers mission.

Sorry if this has been asked before.

Top Bottom