• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

MMaRsu

Anyone else trying to get through the SP story fast because you want to open up all the area's before you do too much ambient challenges? I'm doing that mostly.. I mean I'm doing lots of side stuff like stranger missions etc but I haven't really touched the challenges yet.

Seanspeed

Banned
Ok, so there's still a ton of stuff I just dont understand about this game:

- How on earth am I supposed to escape from the law? I cant outrun them, and hiding just gives them time to find me. This is getting super annoying. Every time I purposefully/accidentally do something bad, I either spend half an hour trying to run from them unsuccessfully or I die by getting shot by them.

- Dueling, despite being explained by people here, still doesn't make sense to me. I seem to die sometimes, and win others, and I have no idea what I'm doing differently.

- Why doesn't auto-aim do anything? Seriously, it doesn't seem to lock-on or do anything AT ALL. I've turned it on for the first 15 levels of multiplayer or so, so I'm not getting destroyed until then, but it doesn't do a damn thing as far as I can tell. No snap-on, no following targets, no nothing.

I'm honestly getting a bit annoyed with the game. I'm spending more time frustrated than having fun now. :(

yencid

Seanspeed said:

- How on earth am I supposed to escape from the law? I cant outrun them, and hiding just gives them time to find me. This is getting super annoying. Every time I purposefully/accidentally do something bad, I either spend half an hour trying to run from them unsuccessfully or I die by getting shot by them.

- Dueling, despite being explained by people here, still doesn't make sense to me. I seem to die sometimes, and win others, and I have no idea what I'm doing differently.

- Why doesn't auto-aim do anything? Seriously, it doesn't seem to lock-on or do anything AT ALL. I've turned it on for the first 15 levels of multiplayer or so, so I'm not getting destroyed until then, but it doesn't do a damn thing as far as I can tell. No snap-on, no following targets, no nothing.

I'm honestly getting a bit annoyed with the game. I'm spending more time frustrated than having fun now. :(

... sounds like you suck. bad.
Auto lock is the same as in single player, it should snap on to the enemy.
running away is fairly easy, just stay out of their line of site for a while (the gray circle)

Seanspeed said:

- Get a horse and try to get away from the big red circle on your minimap.

-When it says Draw, just L2 and press R1 as fast as you can on the player and press R2 to shoot, it's how I do it and haven't lost yet.

- Regular gang matches do have Normal aiming which is lock on, hardcore doesn't, you might be playing hardcore. If you are playing regula gang matches, if you lose the guy on your sights, pull back and press L2 again to lock on to him again.

Loxley said:
The game has a plentiful amount of small settlements and lodges scattered throughout the world, in addition to the two three or so main towns that are in each individual section of the world (New Austin, Mexico, Great Plains).

Depends on the town, but I can say not every building in every town is "enter-able". A good portion of them are. But in some of the bigger settlements there are a number of buildings with permanently closed doors (despite being stores and things that would be open all the time in reality :D)

Yep :)
Appreciate it! :)

painey

just beat the game.. great ending but shitty consequences because of it :( Theres so much empty unused space in the game, or abandoned towns and such that surely there are going to be "GTA Episodes", right?

kaskade said:
I don't think it ends. You just wait until you won(or lost) enough chips to want to quit.

Ah, and then the chips are converted to cash value? I didn't know if it was like Poker, in that you play until you're the only one left. Thanks. Guess I'm gonna end this game now then, as I've been playing for about an hour, and I've only went from 300 chips to 407.

Raide

I just caught some random bandits dragging a man through town. I shot 2 or them and hog-tied the other. I have just dropped him about 2 foot away from a Rattlesnake.

Lets see who wins. :lol

Seanspeed

Banned
Rapping Granny said:
- Get a horse and try to get away from the big red circle on your minimap.

-When it says Draw, just L2 and press R1 as fast as you can on the player and press R2 to shoot, it's how I do it and haven't lost yet.

- Regular gang matches do have Normal aiming which is lock on, hardcore doesn't, you might be playing hardcore. If you are playing regula gang matches, if you lose the guy on your sights, pull back and press L2 again to lock on to him again.
Thanks.

And I am on horse trying to get away. Its just not possible, because they are just as fast as I am. And if I do start drawing away, for some reason, as soon as my WANTED display goes completely gray(where you'd think I'm finally clear), it just seems to automatically refill everytime and the cycle repeats. I'm usually pretty good at games, so I've no idea what I'm doing wrong. I simply CANNOT get away, even if I try for 20 minutes. There doesn't seem to be anything I can do.

As far as dueling, I think I'm doing it right, but I still die sometimes. The problem is that there's no moment of realization when it comes to figuring out what I did wrong. I just win or lose, without knowing exactly why.

And that makes sense that maybe I was in an 'expert' match, but is there a way to tell? Its kinda stupid that the game just randomly throws you into whatever, with no way to choose(until I level up to 15, which I'm trying to do, but I'm not having fun doing it right now).

I'm gonna keep pushing on, as I've bought the game and I'm hopeful that things will either start to make sense or become better, but I'm a bit disappointed at this point.

yencid said:
running away is fairly easy, just stay out of their line of site for a while (the gray circle)
Aint so easy when the world is largely flat and barren. I can stay out of their line of site 'for a while', just not long enough.

Seanspeed said:
And I am on horse trying to get away. Its just not possible, because they are just as fast as I am. And if I do start drawing away, for some reason, as soon as my WANTED display goes completely gray(where you'd think I'm finally clear), it just seems to automatically refill everytime and the cycle repeats. I'm usually pretty good at games, so I've no idea what I'm doing wrong. I simply CANNOT get away, even if I try for 20 minutes. There doesn't seem to be anything I can do.
You're paying off any bounties you accumulate at the telegraph office, correct?

Seanspeed

Banned
B-Rad Lascelle said:
You're paying off any bounties you accumulate at the telegraph office, correct?
When I'm in town and not being relentlessly hounded, yes.

And even that I have an issue with. Its really kinda stupid how much this 'sandbox' game punishes you for doing something bad.

I'm not trying to bash the game, but when so much of it so great, frustrating crap like this really tends to stand out more.

MMaRsu

Seanspeed said:
When I'm in town and not being relentlessly hounded, yes.

And even that I have an issue with. Its really kinda stupid how much this 'sandbox' game punishes you for doing something bad.

I'm not trying to bash the game, but when so much of it so great, frustrating crap like this really tends to stand out more.

What? It punishes with the rules of the world. You kill people, bounty hunters WILL come after you, how does that not make sense? Seems you are putting the game down because you suck at it lol.

Sanchito

How do you capture a bounty without killing him? I suppose to lasso, but the few times I've tried, I shot the dude in the leg to get him down, then lasso. But then they get up and shoot me. Anyone have some tips?

Seanspeed said:
Thanks.

And that makes sense that maybe I was in an 'expert' match, but is there a way to tell? Its kinda stupid that the game just randomly throws you into whatever, with no way to choose(until I level up to 15, which I'm trying to do, but I'm not having fun doing it right now).

Uhmm press select and choose the gametype when you're in the online free roam, I don't know what you are doing.

Sanchito said:
How do you capture a bounty without killing him? I suppose to lasso, but the few times I've tried, I shot the dude in the leg to get him down, then lasso. But then they get up and shoot me. Anyone have some tips?

Lasso him, then get close to him and an icon will show up to tight him up.

Seanspeed

Banned
MMaRsu said:
What? It punishes with the rules of the world. You kill people, bounty hunters WILL come after you, how does that not make sense? Seems you are putting the game down because you suck at it lol.
I get how its 'realistic'. Just dont think it really adds to the enjoyment of the game at all. Sometimes realistic isn't fun.

To me, I get the vibe that Rockstar doesn't want you to do bad things. They just give you the temptation, then punish you for giving in.

Raide said:
I just caught some random bandits dragging a man through town. I shot 2 or them and hog-tied the other. I have just dropped him about 2 foot away from a Rattlesnake.

Lets see who wins. :lol
Ha, I tried that too in the first hour of the game. The snake didn't do a damn thing, though. :(
...was pretty disappointed by that.

Seanspeed said:
I get how its 'realistic'. Just dont think it really adds to the enjoyment of the game at all. Sometimes realistic isn't fun.

To me, I get the vibe that Rockstar doesn't want you to do bad things. They just give you the temptation, then punish you for giving in.
But... you CAN do bad things and get away with it, if you have no witnesses. I've killed dozens of lawmen out in the wilderness with no repercussions. Be smart about it. If you go crazy shooting people in a town then of course you're going to accrue a huge bounty and be hunted for it.

Hey guys, I'm in
Mexico
, and I saw a blue dot on my map for a random help event. Some scruffy looking bandit guy is about to be executed by 3 soldier-looking people. Which are the good and bad guys in this scenario? I don't want to help him by taking out the soldiers and then lose honor because he turned out to be a bad guy.

Sanchito said:

You don't have to get them to the ground to lasso them. You can just do it while they're standing. You can do it while they're shooting at you also, just so long as you're quick enough that you don't die first.

Max

I am not Max
Lame how the average score in the social club challenges are 2,147,483,647 points. I guess a lot of people figured out an exploit.

Dresden

Man, why the fuck is Marston working with the
Mexican Army?
After working with
Ricketts
, who might have been a bit of a hypocrite but nonetheless was a good dude. I could understand working with Seth or Dickens, although it felt odd that Marston didn't just pistol whip them until they complied with his requests, but the fucking
army
?

Not to mention that, while finishing Landon's quests, he mentions to me--when I've done no other quests in Mexico--that I shouldn't be working both side of the fence, 'lest I be impaled.' I had no idea he was a prophet.

Dude Abides

Banned
Sanchito said:

Are you keeping LT or L2 held in? I think if you lasso someone but let up on LT/L2 it breaks the lasso. Hold LT/L2, walk toward him and hit Y/triangle when prompted.

Revolutionary said:
Ha, I tried that too in the first hour of the game. The snake didn't do a damn thing, though. :(

But... you CAN do bad things and get away with it, if you have no witnesses. I've killed dozens of lawmen out in the wilderness with no repercussions. Be smart about it. If you go crazy shooting people in a town then of course you're going to accrue a huge bounty and be hunted for it.

I'm going to try putting them in the wilderness and pour bait on them.

I also just discovered the joys of ride-by knifings :lol

Beaulieu

Dresden said:
Man, why the fuck is Marston working with the
Mexican Army?
After working with
Ricketts
, who might have been a bit of a hypocrite but nonetheless was a good dude. I could understand working with Seth or Dickens, although it felt odd that Marston didn't just pistol whip them until they complied with his requests, but the fucking
army
?

Not to mention that, while finishing Landon's quests, he mentions to me--when I've done no other quests in Mexico--that I shouldn't be working both side of the fence, 'lest I be impaled.' I had no idea he was a prophet.

Yeah this is fucking stupid, GTA 4 all over again
Dan Houser needs to stop writing rockstar's games.

Raide

Revolutionary said:

I expected some awesome death rattle from the man but they just sat there looking at each other. Patch it please! :lol

Meier

So I just got to Part 3 and encountered my first bear. I figured since one of the challenges was to kill 3 of them in 1 shot that a short distance sawed off to the face would do it... no such luck. :lol

I guess you have to use a sniper rifle?

Haunted

Katana_Strikes said:
Where is the Gang Hideout in Gaptooth Breach?

I went ther and there's a Mining town but no gang hideout.
That is the gang hideout. It's not populated at all times, try going there at a later time. I think the game tells you as much when you approach an empty hideout.

Meier said:
So I just got to Part 3 and encountered my first bear. I figured since one of the challenges was to kill them in 3 of them in 1 shot that a short distance sawed off to the face would do it... no such luck. :lol
oh shit, that's exactly what I planned to do! :lol
spoilers!

Gravijah

Seanspeed said:

I think you need a new horse. I've been able to outrun them since the very beginning. Are you tapping A to sprint, then holding it to regain stamina?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Dresden said:

Fucking thank you. The game spoils itself. This also happened with Dickens/Seth/Irish as well.

Marston turned into Niko, except without the big event marking the occasion or even a hint of change.

Xater

Any tips for shooting hats of with Dead Eye? I always blow the brain out although I am aiming as high as possible. Obviously that's not good. :lol

Haunted

I just
killed Herr Müller
. Shortest and most pointless main mission ever. :lol

Xater said:
Any tips for shooting hats of with Dead Eye? I always blow the brain out although I am aiming as high as possible. Obviously that's not good. :lol
Your best bet is to aim high, at someone who's in cover. Large top hats or sombreros also help. :p If you have Dead Eye lvl 2, it's harder. Better to wait until you have lvl 3.

Just try it constantly, it'll work eventually.

Spriig

Banned
Seanspeed said:

I have a bounty of almost $3,000 and my Honour cant go down any further. Unless you count your honour going down as a punishment i don't really see what punishment your getting. Its very very easy to escape, be it riding away on a horse, shooting the officers or simply not getting caught in the first place.

Seanspeed said:
Thanks.

As far as dueling, I think I'm doing it right, but I still die sometimes. The problem is that there's no moment of realization when it comes to figuring out what I did wrong. I just win or lose, without knowing exactly why.

I'm gonna keep pushing on, as I've bought the game and I'm hopeful that things will either start to make sense or become better, but I'm a bit disappointed at this point.

Aint so easy when the world is largely flat and barren. I can stay out of their line of site 'for a while', just not long enough.

Ya, it just sounds like you suck at it really bad. As far as running away, it's a lot easier if you do it on a trail and don't stay in a straight line. If it splits off try to do branch offs so they have to turn more, or go up hills, etc.

Edit: Another thing that may help is buying apples and other items that replenish your horse's stamina so you don't have to worry about tiring him out when running away.

I think the game "spoils you" because you guys are going at the missions back-to-back-to-back with the same mission giver. What I do, and what I've always done in GTA's is hop around from mission giver to mission giver.
Pretty sure that's what R* want you to do, and the game even (unfortunately) assumes you do as well, thus spoiling you guys in the process.

Sanchito

Rapping Granny said:
Lasso him, then get close to him and an icon will show up to tight him up.

Thanks all who replied. I'll give it another shot next time I fire it up. I may have not been holding in the button.

Xater

Haunted said:
Your best bet is to aim high, at someone who's in cover. Large top hats or sombreros also help. :p If you have Dead Eye lvl 2, it's harder. Better to wait until you have lvl 3.

Just try it constantly, it'll work eventually.

Guess I'll stop for now trying this at civillians.

Haunted

Using the treasure hunter outfit somehow gives Marston a completely different vibe in the cutscenes. :lol

Xater said:
Guess I'll stop for now trying this at civillians.
:eek: You evil bastard.

Meier said:
Try something else. :lol
Nah, maybe you just didn't hit him right. *prepares to get mauled*

Top Bottom