• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

DodgerSan

Spriig said:
Thanks man good stuff. Im thinking of going with GAME. Which one did you go for?

I went with Amazon.

Cheaper than Game, and them there Golden Guns go right nicely with my Golden Lancer :lol

Dude Abides

Banned
Cant0na said:
so is it confirmed it plays exactly like GTA4?

as in movement/shooting etc. really want to like this game but hated how gta4 played

How could you "confirm" something like this when hardly anybody has the game?

vixlar

sw33tclyde said:
I like how this sounds. From the IGN article just posted.

Yes!

That is how I always wanted economy in games like Oblivion and other RPGs were.

And you can cheat on Poker... hahahahahaha...

HooCares

Neo Member
Beowulf28 said:
Any reports on how the PS3 version is performing? I'm on the fence on getting this game since I only have a PS3.

The PS3 version will definitely outperform the 360 version in your PS3.

speculawyer said:
IG: Take-Two has made comments that they consider Red Dead Redemption to be a blockbuster franchise. They said it's their "most ambitious game to date." Will RDR really be the next GTA for Take-Two or are they just blowing smoke to validate their purportedly large investment in the game?

Pachter: I’m sure that the quality of Red Dead Redemption is extraordinary, and I expect the game to garner review scores of around 90. Whether the game is a blockbuster franchise will depend upon whether the game resonates with a large segment of the market. The trick in getting a game to sell a lot of units is not as simple as saying it will be a blockbuster. Rather, the game has to be great (likely), has to appeal to a large potential audience (questionable), and has to have solid marketing support (likely). I suppose that you can see where I’m going—I am not sure that a game set in the late 19th century has tremendous mass appeal. I would have said the same for Assassin’s Creed, Prince of Persia, God of War, Dante’s Inferno and any other “period” pieces, yet most of these sold quite well. My bias is that a game that is set in the U.S. West will not be particularly appealing to European audiences, and a game where the most powerful weapon is a Gatling gun will not be particularly appealing to U.S. audiences. With that said, I suppose that the game could sell 2 – 3 million units with a review score of 85 or more and solid marketing, and that’s what I’ve modeled it to sell. I remain skeptical that the game will be considered a “blockbuster franchise,” and certainly do not expect sales to rival those of GTA.
http://www.industrygamers.com/news/...ockbuster-material-dsi-xl-facing-obsolescene/

In his defense, these comments were from a few weeks back when the hype was not quite as big.

But remember, Pachter also said Borderlands was 'sent out to die'.

It looks like he has changed his mind as he listed it first in a list of 'spectacular titles'
"While investors may remain skeptical of a return to growth should April end up in negative territory, we are confident that sales will return solidly into positive territory beginning in May," Pachter said. "The May lineup is absolutely spectacular. May titles include Red Dead Redemption, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Alan Wake, Prince of Persia, Lost Planet, Blur, Skate [3], Iron Man 2, Lego Harry Potter and Shrek 4. We think that these titles have the potential to drive sales up at least 25 percent, and our bias is that the month could grow as much as 40-50 percent."
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6262255.html?tag=latestheadlines;title;2

the moments driven by euphoria and the physics will be fantastic. it's what made gta iv so enjoyable for me at times. can't wait to dive into the sp and play some freeroam with my coop buddy.

kaskade

I'm bummed I won't be able to get this day one since I have some other stuff to pay off but it quickly shot up to my list of games I want over the past month. I just can't wait to play with the Euphoria physics again.

Beowulf28 said:
Any reports on how the PS3 version is performing? I'm on the fence on getting this game since I only have a PS3.

at least it should perform OK since Official Playstation Magazine UK gave it a 10, i guess... i hope...

I didin't think I could get more hyped, but the recent IGN, and Kotaku open world previews have done it. This is by far the slowest week of my life.

Sn4ke_911 said:

I made Marston walk and learned that in Red Dead Redemption, the circling of birds high in the sky means the same thing it does in real life: Something dead is below. The death I found was a woman in prairie dress, collapsed to the ground, a man sobbing at her side. I stood and watched. The man produced a revolver and shot himself in the head. This scene was dropped into the game at random, I was told, one of many moments Red Dead Redemption will employ to surprise players as they roam its terrain.

I learned to steal a wagon and learned not to drive it off a cliff with any expectation that the horses pulling it would survive.
Hmmmmmmmmm..

Thanks, awesome read. So hyped..

UrbanRats

Net_Wrecker said:
I didin't think I could get more hyped, but the recent IGN, and Kotaku open world previews have done it. This is by far the slowest week of my life.
I've ordered from Amazon UK, so it will take at least 1 week to ship, starting from the 21st. :(

sw33tclyde said:
Hmmmmmmmmm..

Thanks, awesome read. So hyped..

Don't forget:

"Off-mission, I took Marston and his horse to a gorgeous overlook, the grand expanse beyond, painting-perfect and all player-explorable. But my view was interrupted by the bustle of a boar running up ahead its right side, like mine, exposed on the ridge to the expanse below and beyond. I activated Dead Eye slow-mo and took aim. But into my scope's view galloped a hunter, a man on horseback who I swiftly decided would be my second trophy of this impromptu boar hunt. My first shot hit the boar. There was no time for the second. The hunter and his horse turned left too late, too much momentum and maybe some panic to keep them safe as they skidded sideways off the cliff, down tumbling to a broken end below.

I took the boar meat."

:lol

From the Official Playstation Magazine UK preview:

Another example: We ride out to a plume of smoke in the wilderness and discover a man by a campfire. ''Come on over, pardner'' he shouts. ''There's plenty to eat!'' Obviously, we select the sniper rifle from the radial menu and, while still on horseback,shoot him through the head. +100 fame pings up on the screen. What? Fame is reward for being good! But, investigating the camp, we find a trussed-up woman and the half- eaten bodies of several others. Turns out dude was a cannibal and we' ve accidentally done a good deed. Yeah, we were shocked too.

SamuraiX-

red-dead-redemption-201005101110346.jpg

Something so awesome about this pic. Love it. Wish he had a more bad ass expression on his face though.:D

LQX

valentine71 said:
Kind of wish I didn't read that. Sounds like a great moment in the game you are suppose to find out about on your own.

Mr. Sam

LQX said:
Kind of wish I didn't read that. Sounds like a great moment in the game you are suppose to find out about on your own.
Same.

"Come on over, par--"
"No thanks. I read about you in OPM."

Admittedly, I read the whole article months ago.

Johningame

Neo Member
LQX said:

Exactly. I know it's just one interaction in a massive game but it would have been pretty sweet to experience that first-hand without the mini spoiler. OK--I really need to stop looking at previews... yeah I know--good luck with that! Gah!! I wish it were Tuesday already!

valentine71 said:

Another example: We ride out to a plume of smoke in the wilderness and discover a man by a campfire. ''Come on over, pardner'' he shouts. ''There's plenty to eat!'' Obviously, we select the sniper rifle from the radial menu and, while still on horseback,shoot him through the head. +100 fame pings up on the screen. What? Fame is reward for being good! But, investigating the camp, we find a trussed-up woman and the half- eaten bodies of several others. Turns out dude was a cannibal and we' ve accidentally done a good deed. Yeah, we were shocked too.

Fix your spoiler tags! IN YOUR POST!

mauaus

painey said:
with all the gta4 similarities, i just pray it doesnt have that awful gta4 fuzz in the graphics.
I just hope i dont get that "played this before a zillion times" feeling i got from the GTA series since Vice City

mauaus said:
I just hope i dont get that "played this before a zillion times" feeling i got from the GTA series since Vice City

I do. I love the GTA series and how it handles things, so more of it in a different setting is absolutely fine by me!

Top Bottom