• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

evil ways

Hawkie said:
Maybe this will go someway to allaying some of the PS3 fears people have.
Certainly not, kind sir. Official Playstation Magazine? Pffft that's nothing but biased propaganda. When Nintendo Power or OXM give the PS3 version of RDR a 10/10 then will all my fears disappear.

Definity

R* game threads are always fun right before release, especially when reviews start coming in at perfect scores. :lol

Seep

Deepack said:
Shooting is roughly the same as in GTA IV with some exceptions. Now you can choose to disable Lock On entirely, and the game will still be perfectly playable. So , it's more advanced.
You could turn lock-on off in GTAIV.

Ward

ummo said:
the june 2010 cover story is POP, and no RDR article spotted at least thhe cover... o_O?

The June issue contains nothing about RDR what so ever.
When I received my copy it had a RDR gamestop ad stickied to the cover. Imagine my disappointment when I realized the magazine wasn't reviewing RDR in the issue and it was just an ad.

Definity said:
R* game threads are always fun right before release, especially when reviews start coming in at perfect scores. :lol

The funny thing is that people seem to be waiting on more trust worthy reviews yet I have no idea what these special tightly unbiased reviews eminate from. Basically people will only think a review is unbiased if it shits on the game.

Goldrusher

Years of hype and when a 100% review arrives, it's impossible, it was bribed, it can't be.

Sigh.

Everything about the game screams 100% imo.

NHale

Darklord said:
I'm just going to say that you should be cautious all these review. Anything from official magazines, sites, maybe even the big gaming sites too. Why? Because the people who review them get wound so much in the hype they give it a huge score, almost regardless of if it deserves it or not.

I'm not saying this game can't be a 10/10 but take the reviews for this game with a grain of salt because almost every big game the reviewers come out and say it's basically the best game ever.

It's Rockstar so it is expected. People need to remember what Rockstar did to the poor editor in Australia that didn't "understand the huge achievement that is Red Dead Redemption".

I preordered the game yesterday because of the hype, but I should have learned my lesson after GTA IV. It's the same thing all over again: hype, restricted access to the gaming media, Rockstar ninjas threatining, intensive viral marketing on message boards.

It's a shame I don't expect this game to be reviewed fairly so I know this would not get any scores lower than 90 in the big gaming sites or mags and all of those will ignore all the possible flaws the game will have.

Hawkie said:
Maybe this will go someway to allaying some of the PS3 fears people have.

Maybe they reviewed the game on the 360? :lol

Clevinger said:
OPM gave GTA4 a perfect score as well.
so more than likely this game will be terrible but win best story in future game awards.

will buy ps3 version even if framerate sucks ass even if they can't give a straight answer when asked and say it runs well or fine even if there are some technical problems that don't hinder gameplay but in fact it does.

Darklord

Banned
NHale said:
IIt's a shame I don't expect this game to be reviewed fairly so I know this would not get any scores lower than 90 in the big gaming sites or mags and all of those will ignore all the possible flaws the game will have.

I still think it'll be a good game. I just hate these reviews that come out and basically make the game sound like the greatest thing ever and totally flawless. They just rarely ever look at things from a critical point of view, which they should. Not the "ZOMG IM FINALLY PLAYING THIS WOWOWOW 15/10!!!!" point of view.

Brutal Legend was a prime example. Some sites gave that 10/10 even though it was a heavily flawed game. GTA4 is another. MGS4 another. Resistance 2 another.

Salz01

Goldrusher said:
Years of hype and when a 100% review arrives, it's impossible, it was bribed, it can't be.

Sigh.

Everything about the game screams 100% imo.

These are my thoughts as well. You can tell this game ooozes 'AAA'

Owzers

LabouredSubterfuge said:
The funny thing is that people seem to be waiting on more trust worthy reviews yet I have no idea what these special tightly unbiased reviews eminate from. Basically people will only think a review is unbiased if it shits on the game.

It's not my fault most reviews sound like fanboy gushing over everything but the gameplay.

Guts Of Thor

Thorax of Odin
Deepack said:

Shooting is roughly the same as in GTA IV with some exceptions. Now you can choose to disable Lock On entirely, and the game will still be perfectly playable. So , it's more advanced.

Glad I read this before it was too late. Pre-order cancelled. Could not stand the shooting in GTA IV. Guess I'll just rent this to play through the single player then return it.

Yeah, hype machine in full effect. I bought into it... twice.

I'm going to forego buying at Best Buy where I preordered, even though I hate giving up that deck of cards... or should I?

OK, can anyone see an advantage of buying Best Buy over GameStop, or vice versa?

I'mma buy at Gamestop. I think. Maybe.

Nemic77

LabouredSubterfuge said:

:lol So True...

Guts Of Thor said:
Glad I read this before it was too late. Pre-order cancelled. Could not stand the shooting in GTA IV. Guess I'll just rent this to play through the single player then return it.
I donno, I would have to think lock-on could be disabled by the host. The multiplayer has to be better than GTA IV (
sorry, but it fucking sucked
).

Darklord

Banned
LabouredSubterfuge said:

The funny thing is people get hyped for a game and then latch onto the first 10/10 review they see even if it's from a piece of shit source. They'll slam any review that gives it like a 7 and will claim the reviewer doesn't "understand the game". The game is finally release and people call it the best thing ever created. 6 months later people are calling the game a piece of shit with boring gameplay and horrid controls and all those 10/10 are a joke(the very same they were latching onto).

It happens with every single big game that doesn't live up to the hype. Like GTA4 or MGS4.

Darklord said:
The funny thing is people get hyped for a game and then latch onto the first 10/10 review they see even if it's from a piece of shit source. They'll slam any review that gives it like a 7 and will claim the reviewer doesn't "understand the game". The game is finally release and people call it the best thing ever created. 6 months later people are calling the game a piece of shit with boring gameplay and horrid controls and all those 10/10 are a joke(the very same they were latching onto).

It happens with every single big game that doesn't live up to the hype. Like GTA4 or MGS4.

I'm not saying you're not making a fair point, you are. What you're suggesting though is that we cannot fully trust any review that gives this game a high score. I also think you are speaking for yourself (and of course a group of others) in calling games like MGS4 and GTA4 pieces of shit which brings us back to a ridiculous dichotomy that seems very entrenched in GAF-world.

For me, I'll be reading a great many reviews and analyse them on my own basis and look for places in which they are deficient or omit criticism/praise to aggregate a view of the game. The same way I do with all games.

BTW when I read your post the first game that came to mind was Alan Wake :lol

Haunted

LabouredSubterfuge said:
Reviews that shit on the game are more likely to be unbiased, but not every unbiased review will shit on the game.

I don't really give a fuck about "professional" enthusiast reviews for Rockstar games. It's all about the user feedback and seeing (and experiencing) the game for myself. That is, if I'd need more convincing to get it, which I don't. :D

So my worried are alleviated quite a bit after that review. I had to cancel my pre-order but my trade-in credit will pick this one up ASAP! Can't wait to roam and hunt.

Darklord

Banned
LabouredSubterfuge said:
I'm not saying you're not making a fair point, you are. What you're suggesting though is that we cannot fully trust any review that gives this game a high score. I also think you are speaking for yourself (and of course a group of others) in calling games like MGS4 and GTA4 pieces of shit which brings us back to a ridiculous dichotomy that seems very entrenched in GAF-world.

I don't think you can trust any review of a high caliber game. Not any single review at least, anyway. High score or not. Unless it's a reviewer you know and trust.

Also, I haven't even played MGS4. I just said that after that tons of flak I've seen that game get on here and other places after its original GOTG status.

Amneisac

[sarcasm]I propose all critics move to the GAF binary review system!

1 = THIS GAME ROCKS!

0 = THIS GAME FUCKING SUCKS!

That way we can get rid of all the messy gray area bullshit and just separate the games of forever from the overhyped fanboi lovin' moneyhatted 10/10's![/sarcasm]

Dynamic3

Jtones said:
Or just: fuck reviews. I'll buy the game anyways. I'll find out if it's good/bad myself.

+1.

All I'm asking for is a little more clarification on which preorder bonuses are just early unlocks, and which a truly exclusive content.

Shinjitsu

Banned
Amneisac said:
[sarcasm]I propose all critics move to the GAF binary review system!

1 = THIS GAME ROCKS!

0 = THIS GAME FUCKING SUCKS!

That way we can get rid of all the messy gray area bullshit and just separate the games of forever from the overhyped fanboi lovin' moneyhatted 10/10's![/sarcasm]

No sarcasm needed, this is genius.

Klocker

DeuceMojo said:
I donno, I would have to think lock-on could be disabled by the host. The multiplayer has to be better than GTA IV (
sorry, but it fucking sucked
).

“Is there auto aim on multiplayer for RDR?” – received via Twitter
Like the single player game, there are three targeting modes available to choose from: Casual, Normal and Expert. Casual is full lock, Normal snaps-to-target but does not lock on, and Expert has no assist. You can configure your own personal targeting to suit your preferences in any game by using the multiplayer playlists in the menu.

For Competitive games, there are Casual playlists for all game types that are exclusively Casual targeting mode, or that allow players to mix it up and play against each other across a variety of the three targeting types.

There are also playlists for Gang Matches and Free For All games which allow players to use Normal or Expert targeting together (but not Casual).

For advanced players that prefer to strictly play against other free-aimers, Hardcore and Veteran playlists that exclusively support Expert targeting can be used for all Gang Matches and Free For All Games.

It’s also worth noting that honing your multiplayer skills with the more advanced Normal and Expert targeting styles will reward you with bonus XP to level up faster than those using Casual.

EzLink

Banned
Okay, that trailer was excellent. So hyped

They mentioned America a couple times though, and for some reason I thought this took place in Mexico

That trailer looked really good. It looks like i'll be living on rice this month.

What's the best uk/european site to pre order this from so i'll get it day one?

Bizzyb

Banned
Awesome trailer. I'm still playing just case 2 so I have that to tide me over until RDR. Seems I'll be jumping From one HUGE open world to another.

Johningame

Neo Member
Bizzyb said:
Awesome trailer. I'm still playing just case 2 so I have that to tide me over until RDR. Seems I'll be jumping From one HUGE open world to another.

Same here. A lasso would make for a fine retro grappling hook.

Top Bottom