• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

BeeDog said:
Holy shit, just arrived at Escalera. Insanely beautiful environment, probably the most impressive location I've witnessed in a game in a looong time. Too bad the fps tanks there. :lol

Never noticed. Only time the frames went to shit on me is when fucking around with putting a bounty on the horse and all his fuck face buddies come flying in trying to run me over at once. Saw some horrible dips during those moments.

sdornan

Seanspeed said:
Well you have to pay that $3000 if you want to ever 'run free'. On top of that, you have no honor. I think thats quite a punishment just cuz you wanted to have some random fun in a 'sandbox' game.

And thats my point. People were talking about how this game reminded them of GTA:SA in terms of the 'fun' of it all. But that was a bunch of horsecrap. Its NOTHING like that game. Past GTA's have NEVER punished you so much for choosing to do something bad. And that was a good thing, because half the fun of these games is just taking a load off and messing around, doing stupid stuff. To do that in this game, you have to go save, turn off auto-save, have your fun, then restart. A bit unnecessary, if you ask me.

And as far as me just 'sucking' at this game, maybe thats true. But I'm not some beginner gamer, so I dont think I'm gonna be completely alone in this. Maybe you guys are all just awesome? Congrats to you guys, but I'm just trying to figure this game out better so I dont keep turning it off all the time because its frustrating.

Use the bandana.

EDIT: Way late.

Teknoman

I dunno...causing random mayhem for no reason just seems...lame, unless you're trying to be a bad character.

Having low honor does reward you, since I dont think outlaw gangs react to you violently with low honor.

Meus Renaissance said:
Do you guys wanna posse up later on? If so, quote this and your gamertag. I was thinking we could do it in an hour or two

AZe Spade.

I had a Falling Down type of day today, could blow off some steam in this :lol

MMaRsu

Nameless said:
Is there anyway to go back to the original dead eye mechanics? The auto/multi target shit isn't nearly as fun.

Did you get Dead Eye 3 yet? It's much better than 2, which was a downgrade imo.

If I ever find myself in New Mexico or Texas, I'm just going to drive out to the desert and listen to that "Far Away" song on repeat on my iPod.

Xater

Teknoman said:
Has anyone run into any PS3 glitches?

I had a trigger that didn't work and at one point I opened my armoire and the game just crashed and I was back in the XMB. Also alot of stuff like people leaning against thin air or standing on bottles.

Meus Renaissance said:
There was meant to be a 30min animated for the game but I haven't heard anything about it for some time. Anyone with any info on that front?

Cheers

There's a 30 minute show called "Red Dead Redemption" on May 30th at midnight on Fox, not sure what that is.

Arcipello

love the fact that i can play custom playlists over the top of this game, i dont need to whistle tunes i can just have the good the bad & the ugly sound track playing away....... The ecstacy of gold is too epic!:D

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Teknoman said:
Has anyone run into any PS3 glitches?

One time I lasso'd a wild horse, tried to mount it, and instead got pulled along behind it like I was wake boarding or some shit, and the horse was moving at probably Mach 2, moved half way across the entire map in around 30seconds.

It was pretty awesome.

KaYotiX

Banned
Gooster said:
If I ever find myself in New Mexico or Texas, I'm just going to drive out to the desert and listen to that "Far Away" song on repeat on my iPod.

I love Texas so glad i moved here 10 yrs ago :D

I also just downloaded the RDR soundtrack from Zune marktplace

Xater

nskinnear said:
Just beat it.

Wow. That ending was... unexpected. I like how they decided to end the game on a side mission, rather than just having it end after you take control of Jack.

I have to say thatr I saw it coming ever since Dutch said something about the Lawmen having to justify their wages. It also totally fit the into the whole western canon. It was still awesome and unusual in a mainstream game. I don't know when the last time was I played a game where they killed of the main character.

Finally found the first treasure, and man I felt stupid with how much time it took.
I was looking at the map as The Hanging Rock, and then another rock formation, instead of just the back of the Hanging Rock. ARGH!

Anyway, yeah I've had quite a few glitches. Nothing game breaking or anything, but I've seen my fair share of piano players with stools stuck to their heads, horses leaping up and down without moving, and guys running a few feet off the ground or sinking through the grass when they die.

Haunted

Sethos said:
Did anyone else see a Revolver Ocelot resemblance with a certain character in the game?
More like aging Buffalo Bill.

Teknoman said:
Wtf? I just captured two escaped prisoners that beat up a lawman...brought them back to the guy, and after I get paid he says "What are you doing?!" and shoots both hogtied men in the head.

Did I miss something?
That's just how we roll in the West!

Haunted

Lionel Mandrake said:
Finally found the first treasure, and man I felt stupid with how much time it took.
I was looking at the map as The Hanging Rock, and then another rock formation, instead of just the back of the Hanging Rock. ARGH!

Anyway, yeah I've had quite a few glitches. Nothing game breaking or anything, but I've seen my fair share of piano players with stools stuck to their heads, horses leaping up and down without moving, and guys running a few feet off the ground or sinking through the grass when they die.
:lol The piano players in my game love to step dance on top of their piano after standing up and glitching out.

Xater

Haunted said:
:lol The piano players in my game love to step dance on top of their piano after standing up and glitching out.

Yeah the piano guys are always glitching in some way. Don't know how that could get through testing.

Loving the draw distance. Just wish I could go into a first person mode to really soak it in.
ojpjih.jpg

otkcg3.jpg

Had a nasty glitch where all the Stagecoaches and other carriages/wagons could not be controlled. They jump on the ground and shake about and if you drive them you can't turn. Had to come out of the game and start again. On 360.

But it's a great game. Surprisingly violent too. It'd be excellent on the PC. My only two complaints are; no pause when selecting weapons which in single player would be fine though obviously not in MP. And no 'cruise control' for your horse making missions involving riding and shooting more awkward than need be.

Minor moans as the game is really good. The animation is first class, if a little buggy, and it looks amazing.

Darkman M

Xater said:
I have to say thatr I saw it coming ever since Dutch said something about the Lawmen having to justify their wages. It also totally fit the into the whole western canon. It was still awesome and unusual in a mainstream game. I don't know when the last time was I played a game where they killed of the main character.

Ending spoilers!!

What's kinda cool is that this was sorta foretold in doing the first mission for Jack. Remember jack reading a book and john asking what's the book about and Jack says something about it being about an Outlaw getting revenge for his slaughtered father. Im not sure of the exact words but it all kinda comebacks and makes sense. I really loved John as a protagonist though one of my favorites.

Haunted

Dabanton said:
Just got my deadly assassin outfit. :D

it looks so cool now i go between that and my duster which i use for Bounty hunting missions.
Mo Van Barr doesn't exist in my game. :(

I'm rocking either duster or poncho atm.

Xater

Darkman M said:
What's kinda cool is that this was sorta foretold in doing the first mission for Jack. Remember jack reading a book and john asking what's the book about and Jack says something about it being about an Outlaw getting revenge for his slaughtered father. Im not sure of the exact words but it all kinda comebacks and makes sense. I really loved John as a protagonist though one of my favorites.

Yep that too. I also thought they handled it well how we got to know and like his family. I really thought John had the perfect wife for him. And then it all goes to hell. At first I was wondering what's up with these farm mission, bu then it made sense.

What is up with the Rank 5 Sharpshooter Challenge? "Kill 2 different types of wild animals in 1 Dead Eye meter." I've done that twice...

Wolf/bird of some sort, wolf/skunk.

Do I have to skin them for it to happen? I sort of vaporized the skunk just now.

Xater

HadesGigas said:
What is up with the Rank 5 Sharpshooter Challenge? "Kill 2 different types of wild animals in 1 Dead Eye meter." I've done that twice...

Wolf/bird of some sort, wolf/skunk.

Do I have to skin them for it to happen? I sort of vaporized the skunk just now.

Also didn't work for me until the third try for some reason. Try again I guess.

Xater said:
Also didn't work for me until the third try for some reason. Try again I guess.

That worked. Wonder if it's supposed to be do it three times and they forgot to have the text/meter show up, or if it's supposed to be done once and forgot to change it from the "x done y number of times" formula most of the other challenges use.

Edgeward

Can I get a PS3 chatroom invite, please? I liked what little I played of free roam but I would think it would be better with some gaffers. PSN Edgeward34. Or point me in the direction of who I should add to get an invite. Thanks.

Marvie_3

Banned
Lionel Mandrake said:
I did the same thing. :lol

Haunted said:
Mo Van Barr doesn't exist in my game. :(

I'm rocking either duster or poncho atm.

Yeah, I never got him as a bounty either.

Also, anyone know what the highest Honor level is? I'm getting kind of worried as my Honor hasn't increased in several hours. My Fame level keeps going up, but my Honor level hasn't moved. I got bored and went totally apeshit on a town at one point, so I know it can still go down, but it doesn't seem to be going up at all.

Amir0x

Banned
So it was a gorgeous moonlit night and I was blazing a trail toward Armadillo, hoping to catch a job when dawn breaks. Alongside the trail stands a dusty old man pleading for help.

"Mr., Mr... I need yer help!"

What's that about never talking to strangers? So as soon as I get near him, he jumps me and tosses me off my horse. I recover and set my sights on him when *BANG* I miss... and kill my horse.

"You better be thankful I chose the horse!", I yell.

I lasso the bastard and hogtie him, and walk him to a cliff. Then I toss him off.

Nights like these leave a mark on a man :(

Haunted

besada said:
On the inexplicable random encounters front, I just ran across a woman in the wilderness. She was kneeling over her husband's bleeding body, sobbing. Before I could get close she raised his revolver and blew her brains out.

I looted them and rode on.
It's kinda hilarious how often that one has been recounted in this thread so far. :lol

Good job Rockstar, you made one everyone wants to talk about. :)

Marvie_3

Banned
Quick and probably stupid question for those that have beat the game:

Since I already know John dies at the end and you play as Jack after that, do your honor/fame/other stats reset in any way after you beat the game?

owlbeak

Question: I was riding north of Armadillo en route to Hanging rock when I see a guy running down the road screaming for help. There was a guy on horseback chasing him, firing a pistol at him so I killed him and his horse and immediately had a bounty and eventually got arrested for 1 Count of Murder and 1 Count of Horse Assault. :( ?????

Horsebite said:
Question: I was riding north of Armadillo en route to Hanging rock when I see a guy running down the road screaming for help. There was a guy on horseback chasing him, firing a pistol at him so I killed him and his horse and immediately had a bounty and eventually got arrested for 1 Count of Murder and 1 Count of Horse Assault. :( ?????

There are
cannibals
around that area so the one running away isn't always the guilty

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
rainking187 said:
Yeah, I never got him as a bounty either.

Also, anyone know what the highest Honor level is? I'm getting kind of worried as my Honor hasn't increased in several hours. My Fame level keeps going up, but my Honor level hasn't moved. I got bored and went totally apeshit on a town at one point, so I know it can still go down, but it doesn't seem to be going up at all.

From Evil to good
* Desperado: No eyewitness reports crimes below murder,but lawmen still respound to all crimes if seen (In addition to Rustler and Road Agent Perks)
* Road Agent: All the Shops in Thieves' Landing charge you 50% less to buy and pay you 50% more to sell (In addition to Rustler perks)
Special black horse responds to your whistles as long as you stay below Drifter Rank.

* Rustler: The cost to bribe eyewitnesses is reduced 50%.

* Drifter: No Perks aka Neutral Honor.

* Honest Joe: All jobs pay twice as much (including Bounty Hunting)
* Peacemaker: Shops prices are reduced 50% when buying and increased 50% when selling in all areas except Thieves' Landing (In addition to Honest Joe perks) Worn Duster outfit is unlocked.
* Hero: Lawmen and Eyewitnesses only report crimes after the first murder in cold blood (In addition to Honest Joe and Peacemaker perks

Thanks reddead wikia :D

Haunted

Edgeward said:
Why not just
whistle
and have your horse buck him off? >_>
:O

Meus Renaissance said:
This is Mo Van Barr

movanbarr.jpg

He was the first bounty ever displayed at Armadillo. He was just a little north of Hanging Rock if memory serves me right
Hasn't showed up for me yet. Fucker probably fled to Canada as soon as he heard I was coming. :mad:

Top Bottom