• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
xxracerxx said:
Any way to not get shot at in Thieve's Landing if I am honorable? I really want to play Liar's Dice for the Strangers mission.

Sorry if this has been asked before.

Bandanna.

This should solve Seanspeed's problem with losing honor for crimes as well.

Sethos

Banned
xxracerxx said:
Any way to not get shot at in Thieve's Landing if I am honorable? I really want to play Liar's Dice for the Strangers mission.

Sorry if this has been asked before.

I'm maxed out in Honor and almost maxed in Fame and they all leave me alone in Thieve's Landing. ( Maxed is in "Good / Positive" ).

Also, just completed the game today and what an interesting turn of events - I had almost predicted it but then Rockstar ties your shoelaces and headbutts you.

Lovin' it!

Coverly

Questions again (and thanks for answering the previous ones):

I failed to save a wife who was being hanged by bandits:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GefSHJdzRhY&feature=player_embedded

How do I save these people? I'm 0-2 on these events. Shoot the rope? Kill all bandits asap? In that video i ran to her hoping there would be some "Press Y to cut her down" but i guess that was stupid.

Also, is there an infinite amount of bounties or is there a set number depending on where you are in the game? Do they ever run out until you move the story further?

I love the online portion so much, I just need to do more freeroam challenges. It's much easier and faster than playing competitive game and it's more fun with a posse. I still haven't played the single player game past the lasso mission because the MP is so much fun.

Mr. Sam

BKXB said:
Shoot the rope. It gets much easier when you get Dead Eye level 2.

Yep. This. For Maximum results, paint the adversaries and the rope at the same time. And careful not to shoot the victim in the head.

Which reminds me, I came across
a guy about to commit suicide in the middle of nowhere. I used deadeye to shoot the gun out of his hand, which killed him immediately and I lost honour. I was unimpressed

kurahadol

Do you have the ability to paint the victims with dead eye right from the get go or is it something earned later on? I'm still pretty fresh into the game, just want to make sure I didn't miss something in the tutorial on how to paint enemies.

xxracerxx said:
I put one on in my room, but that didn't seem to help....maybe before I even get into town?

Yeah you need to put the bandana before you enter the towns area or they will all still be hostile to you, happened to me last night and seriously pissed me off.

kurahadol said:
Do you have the ability to paint the victims with dead eye right from the get go or is it something earned later on? I'm still pretty fresh into the game, just want to make sure I didn't miss something in the tutorial on how to paint enemies.

It unlocks after a specific main story mission later on, you won't miss the dead eye upgrade (aka downgrade)

Haunted

Coverly said:
Questions again (and thanks for answering the previous ones):

I failed to save a wife who was being hanged by bandits:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GefSHJdzRhY&feature=player_embedded

How do I save these people? I'm 0-2 on these events. Shoot the rope? Kill all bandits asap? In that video i ran to her hoping there would be some "Press Y to cut her down" but i guess that was stupid.

Also, is there an infinite amount of bounties or is there a set number depending on where you are in the game? Do they ever run out until you move the story further?
You have to burn shoot the rope.

Get a good angle, then shoot the rope first (best where it's tied to the branch), then go into Dead Eye and shoot the bad guys.

Your mistake in the vid was to rush right into the fray (which made things confusing and led to you wasting valuable time trying to shoot the bad guys) instead of picking the rope and them off from a safe distance.

Someone else said there are
twenty set bounties in the game. Not sure if there are more after that (would make sense since some outfits would be missable otherwise).

Mr. Sam

kurahadol said:

You unlock it on the second, third or fourth
West Dickens
mission, I believe.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
So after getting to Mexico and roaming around during that great song I stopped on a dock with my horse towards the end to make it really epic. Then I tried to turn around and my horse and I fell into the river and died. :lol

Also the "Funny Man" stranger mission giver is totally Mean Gene Okerlund.

Coverly

Haunted said:
You have to burn shoot the rope.

Get a good angle, then shoot the rope first (best where it's tied to the branch), then go into Dead Eye and shoot the bad guys.

Your mistake in the vid was to rush right into the fray (which made things confusing and led to you wasting valuable time trying to shoot the bad guys) instead of picking the rope and them off from a safe distance.

Someone else said there are
twenty set bounties in the game. Not sure if there are more after that (would make sense since some outfits would be missable otherwise).

Thanks for all the answers guys. The game just says "save person" but never really tells you how and because these are random events, it's hard to practice with them. On my first one I did stand at a distance and picked them off but by the time i got to the victim he was dead. Such a sad scene too, under the moonlight and the friend on his knees crying next to hanged. That's why I rushed this second time, I didn't want to be late, it was just a mistake on my part.

So far in the game I'm around 3 for 16 in saving people, I might as well just stand there and wait until the bodies can be looted!

Teknoman

Wtf? I just captured two escaped prisoners that beat up a lawman...brought them back to the guy, and after I get paid he says "What are you doing?!" and shoots both hogtied men in the head.

Did I miss something?

Ominym

Banned
Just finished the game, and I actually really liked the ending. It was fitting.
Anyone could tell from the beginning that the Government had John only on a string because it suited them. And even though it seems to me that John couldn't escape his past, he had hoped that with his death his family could. And in doing so, the Government made him a martyr for others much like they didn't want to do with Dutch and Williamson. Like father like son, outlaws to the end.

Now, with that said.
I am incredibly bummed about not being able to at least switch back to John for the post game stuff. Jack looks and sounds real weird. Which is fine for a time, but now I have no option to play as John, and that really sucks.

Stitch

Gold Member
Teknoman said:
Wtf? I just captured two escaped prisoners that beat up a lawman...brought them back to the guy, and after I get paid he says "What are you doing?!" and shoots both hogtied men in the head.

Did I miss something?
no they do this all the time in the game.

Darkman M

Teknoman said:

Did I miss something?
If your in mexico that's how they do.

Alucrid

Banned
Loxley said:
For those that have already been...south of the border of New Austin, here's that awesome
song that plays
the first time you enter Mexico.

**If you have not entered Mexico yet in the story, I highly suggest you not click on the link if you don't want one of the games best atmospheric moments spoiled :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ikv...t&p=48B895D61918A630&playnext_from=PL&index=8

I have a save right before that just because that entire situation is incredible.

In the first race on the Dickens mission, next to the cliff there was a horse walking in mid air across the ridge. Seems like way more glitches in the game are popping up.

Aesius

Damn this game is glitchy. I've had Marston freeze once, a captured bounty freeze, and now I just had the entire game lockup on me. Couldn't even access the dashboard.

Fix this shit, R*!

ckohler

My favorite Free Roam bug so far has been what I affectionately call, "Balcony Horse". :lol

2gxp8jb.jpg

You can see him at 8:20 in this video I made (along with other Free Roam footage):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WUGmRMdX58

Darkman M

Aesius said:
Damn this game is glitchy. I've had Marston freeze once, a captured bounty freeze, and now I just had the entire game lockup on me. Couldn't even access the dashboard.

Fix this shit, R*!

In 38 hours it hasn't frooze on me once on 360.

ckohler

Aside from one or two graphical glitches, I've not had much trouble with Free Roam. I play on the 360. Granted, I typically only play in private with one other friend mostly. When I would play multiplayer competitive modes, there were a couple of times when I would get disconnected and the game would get stuck trying to put me into another lobby. However, private Free Roam has been pretty smooth overall.

qwerty2k

Right, just read the manual and think ive spoilered some of the game for me, i didn't know why marston was doing what he was doing but in the first page of the manual it tells you why...is this a major game spoiler or just a minor one?

qwerty2k said:
Right, just read the manual and think ive spoilered some of the game for me, i didn't know why marston was doing what he was doing but in the first page of the manual it tells you why...is this a major game spoiler or just a minor one?

Minor.. He just doesn't want to tell people things they don't need to know

BobTheFork said:
I love the online portion so much, I just need to do more freeroam challenges. It's much easier and faster than playing competitive game and it's more fun with a posse. I still haven't played the single player game past the lasso mission because the MP is so much fun.

Freeroam sucks. Whenever I came near some other player, he shot me. :(

Probably because I was dressed as a Mexican..

DarkKyo

Train engineers are pretty buggy I guess.. I was standing behind one while he was doing his train thing and I shot him once in both legs... he started doing all this weird kneeling/standing/flipping out stuff until he randomly just exploded into a cloud of blood that passed behind me because we were on the train.

Lach

Damn, I just had my favourite horse explode under my ass.
I went to look at the map and when I went back into the game there was a bang and blood and my horse was gone...:D

Btw. How attached are you guys to your horses? Does it bothers you when it dies? My first horse
The stallion that you capture in a mission
was killed by a cougar. It was kind of sad...

UrokeJoe

Lach said:
Damn, I just had my favourite horse explode under my ass.
I went to look at the map and when I went back into the game there was a bang and blood and my horse was gone...:D

Btw. How attached are you guys to your horses? Does it bothers you when it dies? My first horse
The stallion that you capture in a mission
was killed by a cougar. It was kind of sad...

I was pretty attached to my stallion. When I lost it I walked all the way back to Armadillo to buy one instead of stealing one. I was actually hoping I could capture a wild one along the way, but the two I saw got away from me, I could never get close enough.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Seanspeed said:
. Its NOTHING like that game. Past GTA's have NEVER punished you so much for choosing to do something bad.

Thank God this one is different. I got sick of playing as the devil's son about 20 games ago. Thankfully, somebody finally made an open world game that rewards you for doing good deeds. Don't be upset. There are about 353 more GTA clones out there for you to live out your evil fantasies. Let us decent folk have this one...

So was there some patch released Friday? I've been out of the loop for a few days because of work. How are the PS3 GAF members fairing with the connection issues and all that? I bet everyone is level 15+. Dammit I'm so far behind.

MMaRsu

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
So was there some patch released Friday? I've been out of the loop for a few days because of work. How are the PS3 GAF members fairing with the connection issues and all that? I bet everyone is level 15+. Dammit I'm so far behind.

I'm on 360 but still have major connection problems. Multi is unplayable for me pretty much.

Just beat the game, really loved it but thought the ending was rubbish, is there a better one?
Edit: Apparently I haven't finished the game, but there are no mission markers, so I dunno whats going on.
Edit2: Just finished it for real, meh.

besada

Banned
On the inexplicable random encounters front, I just ran across a woman in the wilderness. She was kneeling over her husband's bleeding body, sobbing. Before I could get close she raised his revolver and blew her brains out.

I looted them and rode on.

BeeDog

Holy shit, just arrived at Escalera. Insanely beautiful environment, probably the most impressive location I've witnessed in a game in a looong time. Too bad the fps tanks there. :lol

Top Bottom