• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Xater said:
Yep that too. I also thought they handled it well how we got to know and like his family. I really thought John had the perfect wife for him. And then it all goes to hell. At first I was wondering what's up with these farm mission, bu then it made sense.

Yeah same here...
made me respect John more...

I have to agree the story wasn't amazing but the character's were which has always been the best part of all rockstar games.

Havok

Why hello there, late title card.

Awesome ending, so fitting.

And I loved the scene near the end where
Bonnie stares after John and Abigail driving off in their wagon and shuffles her foot around in the dirt, which is a million billion times more effective and moving to show her affection for John that she knew she couldn't act on than any of the horrible Niko/whatever-her-fucking-name-was-,-y'know-,--the-Irish-chick in GTA4. That scene right there convinced me more than anything that those two characters, John and Bonnie, could have been the total focus of the game, and it would have been even better for it.

That kind of brings me to one of my complaints about the mission structure and character interaction in Rockstar games. You have literally zero way to see those characters again outside of story missions. If I'm doing Mexico missions, long after Bonnie's missions are completed, but I'm riding through MacFarlane's Ranch for some reason, I'd like to be able to visit those characters that I grew to really love. As it is, you finish with the best characters first, then have a string of shitty ones, and I just wanted to go back to have a nice chat or something. Maybe someday.

Darkman M

Big Ass Ramp said:
Whoa... why didn't the game make this more obvious? I could have easily missed this huge part of the story.
:lol yeah only way I knew because I have the guid for all the maps and secrets.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
Darkman M said:
:lol yeah only way I knew because I have the guid for all the maps and secrets.

That's what was bothering me. I was wondering why I hadn't gotten the credits before. Thanks man for the headsup, I never would have figured that one out.

Havok said:
Why hello there, late title card.

Awesome ending, so fitting.

I was going to say, does that count as a late title card? I guess so. A really, really late title card.

Havok

Big Ass Ramp said:
That's what was bothering me. I was wondering why I hadn't gotten the credits before. Thanks man for the headsup, I never would have figured that one out.

I was going to say, does that count as a late title card? I guess so. A really, really late title card.

I think it has to :lol Actually, I don't remember, is there one before that? It would be great if the first time it says the title is there.

I've played the game for several hours total, for reference I just got acquainted with
Irish
for the first time (I figure that's at least 25%?), played a couple hours of free roam and two things popped into my mind today when I finished my session:

1) Needing to repeatedly tap a button to get your horse to move at a decent pace really takes away from the game for me. I can't play for more than an hour until my fingers get sore. (Yes, I know you can hold down the button, but the horse slows down pretty fast after that despite what the instructions say about it supposedly keeping the pace steady). Bad legacy game design decision by Rockstar that I hope that move away from.

2) As I stated above I haven't played for too long and my verdict so far is that it's a really good game, but... I don't see what everyone is gushing over. The setting is fun, the voice acting is great, but it's still GTA to me (with more random stuff to do) but with a story that's not really as engaging...yet at least. Really good game, but I've played a half dozen games this year that I like a lot better.

Xater

Big Ass Ramp said:

I thought it makes sense that he had to find the killer without help where to look. It's not like there are people who will tell him to do it.

Only thing that still bothered me like with all Rockstar open world games. Learn how to use the fucking analog stick! Tapping or holding X to run is retarded!

peetfeet

+Aliken+ said:
Anyone care to give an impression?

I don't have the 360 version but the PS3 version (PAL UK) has been fine for me (after ~9hrs in total online). I've had no lag or disconnects, voice chat has been fine also, no problems unlike others in this thread. Bear in mind I have only been playing online since Friday as that was the release day here. Possibly any issues were fixed between US and Euro releases?

Son of a fucking bitch. I just did an internet search to find out the list of all the challenges and got the ending spoiled for me Heavy Rain style. God I hate the internet sometimes. On a side note, I just got to Mexico after 17 hours lol. I've just been screwing around doing challenges and treasure hunts.

+Aliken+

peetfeet said:
I don't have the 360 version but the PS3 version (PAL UK) has been fine for me (after ~9hrs in total online). I've had no lag or disconnects, voice chat has been fine also, no problems unlike others in this thread. Bear in mind I have only been playing online since Friday as that was the release day here. Possibly any issues were fixed between US and Euro releases?

Thanks but I don't mean a comparison on the online for Ps3 and 360.
It's just that if I end up playing more the single player than the multiplayer I'll probably go for the 360 version however if the online mode is really good and worth it I will get the Ps3 version as I have a longer friend list.

peetfeet

+Aliken+ said:
Thanks but I don't mean a comparison on the online for Ps3 and 360.
It's just that if I end up playing more the single player than the multiplayer I'll probably go for the 360 version however if the online mode is really good and worth it I will get the Ps3 version as I have a longer friend list.

Ah I see, well yes there's plenty to do online. Obviously you have the Gang Hideouts to do, plus the different deathmatch modes and and Capture the bag modes etc, the free co op mission pack coming next month. Then theres the R* Challenges that are created for the social club (first couple have been gang hideouts but with specific things needing to be done, eg crack safe first time, 3 headshots from a horse and less than 15 shots fired). On top of all that you then have the Journal challenges to do in free roam. Example being kill 5 specific animals to get to level one, 5 for level 2, kill 5 bears using knife for next level etc.

Well worth the price of admission.

That being said, i find it frustrating not being able to tell if friends are playing online when in game. I guess Uncharted 2 spoils me, also the ingame friends list doesn't list people online first which again is a pain if you have a large friends list. Surely these are basics for online these days?

Well I got killed by a cougar. I got off my horse to pick some flowers and two wolves jumped me. Upon taking down the last one, the cougar hit me from behind. I got off one shot before it finished me off. Damn cougars. *shakes fist*

peetfeet

I got attacked by cougars on my horse too, started to panic for the safety of my favourate steed so quickly started firing at them. Unfortunately in my panic while shooting down at them I shot through poor Timmys neck and he fell to the floor dead. Not a good day. :(

mileS

how do the horse tickets work? just buy them and you get to ride it? what happens if it dies?

I've been saving my money up and i'm tempted to try the $750 horse because its the only one that says "fast speed" for me so far.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
mileS said:
how do the horse tickets work? just buy them and you get to ride it? what happens if it dies?

I've been saving my money up and i'm tempted to try the $750 horse because its the only one that says "fast speed" for me so far.

You get a deed that you can keep using if it dies to get the same horse back.

Big-ass Ramp

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
Well I got killed by a cougar. I got off my horse to pick some flowers and two wolves jumped me. Upon taking down the last one, the cougar hit me from behind. I got off one shot before it finished me off. Damn cougars. *shakes fist*

gDWYF.png

Nelo Ice

Banned
Tokubetsu said:
Riding around New Austin, I found a man sobbing over a woman's corpse and then pick up a revolver and kill himself.

havent seen a guy kill himself but i have seen that twice though one time the guy was just drinking next to the woman's body :lol

I want to ask,
just finished the chaingun section at fort Mercer and I thought it was the most annoying thing in the game so far. Unsatisfying resolution, basically gun-ho, killing tons of bad guys. Why didn't they just run away instead of getting their arses killed? Reminded me a lot of GTA4. Does this repeat in the game? It's exactly not what I want from it.

Big-ass Ramp

DEAD RABBIT said:
I want to ask,
just finished the chaingun section at fort Mercer and I thought it was the most annoying thing in the game so far. Unsatisfying resolution, basically gun-ho, killing tons of bad guys. Why didn't they just run away instead of getting their arses killed? Reminded me a lot of GTA4. Does this repeat in the game? It's exactly not what I want from it.

If I recall correctly, the game has you do that 4 more times. Different places of course, and it's not always the only thing you do in the mission, but it's the same kill-hordes-of-baddies-with-a-chain-gun thing.

Grayman

DEAD RABBIT said:
I want to ask,
It happens at least once more

What the fuck? There's no lasso in multiplayer at all, even as an unlock? That seriously cuts down on the amount of things you can do to screw around in Free Roam. I don't even want to use it on other players (as that would quickly make the game annoying as hell, as everybody would abuse it), but imagine if everybody could lasso NPC's. You could see who could gather a certain amount of people first, you could hold horse races where everybody is dragging somebody behind them, you could all throw people down cliffs at the same time, you could make a pile of bodies...

What the hell, Rockstar?

Also, there seem to be so few animals and people in Free Roam, that I also don't see goofing around as being fun for too long. It also makes hunting down specific animals for challenges a pain. No train either, from what I saw, which again cuts down on goofing around. Free Roam is seriously lacking in substance.

UrbanRats

Ben2749 said:
What the fuck? There's no lasso in multiplayer at all, even as an unlock? That seriously cuts down on the amount of things you can do to screw around in Free Roam. What the hell, Rockstar?

Also, there seem to be so few animals and people in Free Roam, that I also don't see goofing around as being fun for too long. No train either, from what I saw.
There should be lasso in MP. °___°

Oh, and all the gambling games should have been made playable in multiplayer also. They're so damn good (so much so they could be XBLA games), it's criminal they're not playable online. Especially Poker.

I really hope some of these omissions are addressed with DLC.

Ben2749 said:
What the fuck? There's no lasso in multiplayer at all, even as an unlock? That seriously cuts down on the amount of things you can do to screw around in Free Roam. I don't even want to use it on other players (as that would quickly make the game annoying as hell, as everybody would abuse it), but imagine if everybody could lasso NPC's. You could see who could gather a certain amount of people first, you could hold horse races where everybody is dragging somebody behind them, you could all throw people down cliffs at the same time, you could make a pile of bodies...

What the hell, Rockstar?

Also, there seem to be so few animals and people in Free Roam, that I also don't see goofing around as being fun for too long. It also makes hunting down specific animals for challenges a pain. No train either, from what I saw, which again cuts down on goofing around. Free Roam is seriously lacking in substance.

Yeah, Free Roam is missing SO much content. It really could've been something amazing if the ACTUAL singleplayer world was available. More NPCs, more animals, the train, the minigames, the lasso, bounty hunting, along with the ambient challenges, and gang hideouts would've been something EXTREMELY special. There's only so much you can do right now, and without the lasso or a bunch of pedestrians to keep things random, it'll get boring. I don't know how much they'll be able to add with DLC, but I really hope they flesh out the Free Roam world.

You would think that after people begged for bowling, and darts so much in GTAIV Free Roam, that the infinitely more fun card games would be here at least. That and getting drunk. How funny would it be to see a drunk posse?

Having random events where a stranger runs up to you and asks a favour should also be in multiplayer too. Maybe make them correspond to how many people are playing too. For example, if a store had been robbed, there'd be as many robbers as there are players, or there was a hanging you had to stop, there'd be a lot more enemies, and again, as many victims as there are players.

Man, Free Roam has SO much potential; it really feels like Rockstar dropped the ball somewhat.

HadesGigas said:
Can't imagine the lasso working in free roam for anything other than using it on npcs/animals.

That's the point. Like I already said, being able to use it on each other would be annoying, but being able to lasso NPC's and animals would open things up to more goofing around.

EDIT: Fuck, double post.

HadesGigas said:
Can't imagine the lasso working in free roam for anything other than using it on npcs/animals.

Every character in Free Roam has access to a knife no matter what level you are. If a player were to get lassoed, that's a super easy way to allow people to get out of it. I don't see why it was omitted.

EDIT: I would buy this game brand new at full price AGAIN if it was released with a revamped Free Roam. Completely serious. Full access to the actual singleplayer world, even if that means cutting the amount of players to 12 or 10, and I would pay a full $65 for that.

Net_Wrecker said:
Every character in Free Roam has access to a knife no matter what level you are. If a player were to get lassoed, that's a super easy way to allow people to get out of it. I don't see why it was omitted.

EDIT: I would buy this game brand new at full price AGAIN if it was released with a revamped Free Roam. Completely serious. Full access to the actual singleplayer world, even if that means cutting the amount of players to 12 or 10, and I would pay a full $65 for that.

Hell 2-4p co-op of the main story would be great, drop in any time like in Fable 2 or Saints Row 2 (probably as a generic henchman of some sort like in Fable, but with total freedom to wander around like Saints Row).

Seanspeed

Banned
TheVisualizer said:
1) Needing to repeatedly tap a button to get your horse to move at a decent pace really takes away from the game for me. I can't play for more than an hour until my fingers get sore. (Yes, I know you can hold down the button, but the horse slows down pretty fast after that despite what the instructions say about it supposedly keeping the pace steady). Bad legacy game design decision by Rockstar that I hope that move away from.
Horses shouldn't be slowing down if you're holding the button down.

Net_Wrecker said:

Yeah, I'd happily do the same. Hell, I'd be happy with a limit of 8. 4 even, if it actually had the single-player missions as well. It's sad because there's so much stuff in single-player that you know would be amazing if you could do it in multiplayer, but you can't. It's ironic that the hunting, skinning and selling aspects of the game (which I absolutely love, and can spend ages doing) really remind me of World of Warcraft, yet those things become incredibly gimped when you go online.

Raide

HadesGigas said:
Hell 2-4p co-op of the main story would be great, drop in any time like in Fable 2 or Saints Row 2 (probably as a generic henchman of some sort like in Fable, but with total freedom to wander around like Saints Row).

It will be interesting to see what the co-op DLC is like once it finally comes out.

Prine

Banned
Nelo Ice said:
havent seen a guy kill himself but i have seen that twice though one time the guy was just drinking next to the woman's body :lol

I've had a prostitute try jacking me. As she attempted to ride off into the sunset with my prized steed i allowed her to gallop to the peak of a hill, slowed time down and popped her head open with a pin point shot. I saw her body flail then crumple to the ground.

I slowly walked to her corpse then unloaded a few more, passers by stopped and watched :lol

How do I get to Blackwater in the Single Player? Will I be led there in a mission because right now every entry is blocked off. It's not on my map right now but went there in MP. I've just arrived in Mexico in terms of what phase of the game I'm at

Darkman M

Meus Renaissance said:
How do I get to Blackwater in the Single Player? Will I be led there in a mission because right now every entry is blocked off. It's not on my map right now but went there in MP. I've just arrived in Mexico in terms of what phase of the game I'm at

You've got quite awhile if you're just now hitting Mexico.

JambiBum

Meus Renaissance said:

You still have a good amount of time left before you get to Blackwater. If you rush straight through the main missions you will get there around 5 or 6 hours I would say. Give or take.

Something odd happened when
Ricketts was 'training' me
. Before, in Dead Eye, the markers would appear as you moved the LS across a body, now you have to press RB to mark them. I think this is better, especially for duels.

In regards to connection issues: last night I was having a hard time. I've never had problems before, but in Public games with my posse, I would often be kicked out the entire game. The Free Roam loading screen would then just loop forever. I would have to quit back to the Dashboard where I would get an error message saying some aspects of Live were not available to me. I would then try to Join Session in Progress but I would get a message in-game saying could not connect to other players.

Top Bottom