• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Looking for an excuse not to get this after picking up SMG2, Alan Wake, and Trauma Team. If I like the wild west setting, didn't like GTA4, and loved SR2, should I bother with RDR?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
XiaNaphryz said:
Looking for an excuse not to get this after picking up SMG2, Alan Wake, and Trauma Team. If I like the wild west setting, didn't like GTA4, and loved SR2, should I bother with RDR?

Rent it.

Kintaro said:
The more I play, the more I agree. I have no comment on the online stuff though. Haven't played it. I doubt I will. As the story continues, things get really silly. As a result, it's hurting Marston as a character more and more. I'm hoping the last part of the game picks up.

I'd go as far to say that it doesn't hurt Marston as a character because he was never really much as one. He helps anybody in need because it's adequate for the mission to be entertaining for the gameplay as limited as they are.

I think the best example of this in New Austin is Seth, he clearly disgusts Marston and offers no obvious advantage yet Marston sticks with him? Then randomly he can appear in the fort as a distraction which you clearly don't need at all? Dicken's clearly had the reputation to get into the fort on his own accord.

I just feel that they could of brought in a rudimentary morality system in here somewhere where you get to choose if you're a total bastard or not and there's an actual consequence if you are.

PEZIX

Banned
Tall trees they're flying all over da fuckin place and the wooded part of mexico on the very right side you'll see a few :D

soldat7

bathala said:
sweet just captured a white horse with white hair

It bugs me to no end that I cannot sell my horse deeds and can't tell what freaking horse I have half the time so I can buy a deed for him.

XiaNaphryz said:

It's not going anywhere, play the others first. RDR requires a pretty large time investment.

soldat7 said:
It bugs me to no end that I cannot sell my horse deeds and can't tell what freaking horse I have half the time so I can buy a deed for him.

Why would you want to sell your horse deeds? Also I found them pretty easy to distinguish, the best ones have long stamina, high end speed and also look more muscular than the others. Not to mention they only come in three colors, yellow, white and black.

PEZIX

Banned
So I found an all white stallion(hair too) being chased by a cougar today and I wanted too see if my EPIC fuckin war horse was faster so we raced.. mine was faster but my stamina drained where as I dont think the whites did cuz that cougar just kept chasing that shit lol? So im assuming horses without a rider dont have stamina bars lol so maybe my test was fucked but o well.. Epic war horse FTW!!:D

soldat7

zero margin said:
Why would you want to sell your horse deeds? Also I found them pretty easy to distinguish, the best ones have long stamina, high end speed and also look more muscular than the others. Not to mention they only come in three colors, yellow, white and black.

I don't like the deeds cluttering up my inventory. There are several horses that I've tamed that I cannot identify (a couple of dark brown ones and a couple of grayish ones.) It's frustrating.

soldat7 said:
I don't like the deeds cluttering up my inventory. There are several horses that I've tamed that I cannot identify (a couple of dark brown ones and a couple of grayish ones.) It's frustrating.

Ahh you bought them all, yeah I could see that taking up space. I took the approach of only buying the 3 star deeds (when available or after taming) and using whatever nag was around in a pinch.

Here's what I know about the best ones
The kentucky saddler (yellow) is the same one you got from that Bonnie mission early in the game, that's not the fastest horse though but has great agility. The white is the Hungarian which you get in Mexico and has top speed, the black is the american half bred that I found in Tall Trees area and is the one I currently use.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
zero margin said:
Way more. But you gotta remember
Abigail was a prostitute and had a hard life so she's a lot more rough around the edges

She's probably better for John now that I remember that.

Ok, I think I'm on the last mission.

Greg

Finally got 100% in the story mode - took 34 hours for anyone that's curious about a ballpark length of game+side missions. The only time I used fast travel was at the end of the game when I had to do ~15 bounty missions, so all of the regular travel might have padded my time a bit.

First Rockstar game I've ever felt compelled to completely finish.

Downhome

Greg said:
Finally got 100% in the story mode - took 34 hours for anyone that's curious about a ballpark length of game+side missions. The only time I used fast travel was at the end of the game when I had to do ~15 bounty missions, so all of the regular travel might have padded my time a bit.

First Rockstar game I've ever felt compelled to completely finish.

Wow. I'm at 21hr 41min and I'm only 32.7% done. :lol

I spent at least a few hours earlier this afternoon doing nothing but hunting. I'm not even to
Mexico
yet. Heck, I haven't even been to the northeast part of the map yet.

Spirit of Jazz said:
I'd go as far to say that it doesn't hurt Marston as a character because he was never really much as one. He helps anybody in need because it's adequate for the mission to be entertaining for the gameplay as limited as they are.

I think the best example of this in New Austin is Seth, he clearly disgusts Marston and offers no obvious advantage yet Marston sticks with him? Then randomly he can appear in the fort as a distraction which you clearly don't need at all? Dicken's clearly had the reputation to get into the fort on his own accord.

I just feel that they could of brought in a rudimentary morality system in here somewhere where you get to choose if you're a total bastard or not and there's an actual consequence if you are.

the truth? - the only character i can empathize with in this game is my horse :) . otherwise, the game's a sorta ultimate example of throwing a shit load of western character stereotypes in a blender - technically impressive, weirdly entertaining, but more filling than actually substantial...

zero margin said:
Ahh you bought them all, yeah I could see that taking up space. I took the approach of only buying the 3 star deeds (when available or after taming) and using whatever nag was around in a pinch.

Here's what I know about the best ones
The kentucky saddler (yellow) is the same one you got from that Bonnie mission early in the game, that's not the fastest horse though but has great agility. The white is the Hungarian which you get in Mexico and has top speed, the black is the american half bred that I found in Tall Trees area and is the one I currently use.

I don't see a point to using any other horse than the Standardbred. It's the fastest, and as long as you time your X(or A) presses correctly, you can stay at top speed without draining any stamina.

Do the Stranger missions count towards 100% Completion? I just failed one because I pulled someone off their horse when I was trying to get on mine.

Downhome

I'm pretty sure if you fail a stranger mission that if you wait a few days game time you'll have the ability to go back and try to do it again.

Greg

KoruptData said:
Do the Stranger missions count towards 100% Completion? I just failed one because I pulled someone off their horse when I was trying to get on mine.
Yeah, they count - and if you fail it will pop up again after a few days have passed.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
Heidalloon said:
Perfect way to handle it.

Yeah it was. I hate it when games have an ending that just kicks you back to the last save after it's over. It feels like I can't beat the game. This was perfect.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Spirit of Jazz said:
I don't know, I'm really liking the game but can't feel it's a little over-rated.
Rickettes and Marston didn't make a fucking bit of sense to me, I have this old git telling me I can't shoot despite just taking out 50 local miners in one mission upset that I was assisting a man for duping them out of their cash, yet clearly I'm still the good guy? I'm currently still in Mexico but it already annoying me that there wasn't a choice between the current regime and the rebels even if inevitably they'd lead to the same thing.

Back to Ricketts and Marston, it just seemed like a generic mentor role shoe-horned into a scenario where it didn't make sense, it's not like a "good" movie and I'm not swept away like it.

On top of that I feel people are being really forgiving on this because of the changes made to the system itself. I meant yes the cover/cover-shooting is better but I can't help think that the side-mission progress is leagues behind San Andereas and the side-missions themselves are hugely limited and frustrating. On top of that the multiplayer free-roam is ahead of Saint's Row in it's capacity for it's number of players but is completely decimated solely in regards to number of activities. I mean can we do single play mission co-op? No? Well can we at least play poker together?

Once again I really like the game just like I really liked GTA4, but what shortcomings of GTA4 does this resolve?

I finished LR's development arc and I kind of agree. I...kind of don't even know why I was working with him. I loved him as a character but honestly he was kind of masturbatory. Excellent archetypal Wild West figure, great writing, SUPERB performance....nothing. Shocked by how he (didn't really) tied into the story.

Didn't really tied? Yuck.

Darkman M

Big Ass Ramp said:
Yeah it was. I hate it when games have an ending that just kicks you back to the last save after it's over. It feels like I can't beat the game. This was perfect.

Did you do the stranger mission
for the real ending

Since I'm playing as generally good, took a long while to find a woman suitable to place on the train tracks for the dastardly achievement.

Was out by ridgewood farm, a hooker comes out of nowhere and says she needs help, steals my horse. So, I whistle it back, tie her up, and chase down the train. Which was all the way in Mexico by the time I got to it.

Tiktaalik

darn I've had the control freeze on me in a mission. Strangely I can go to the start menu but nothing else. I guess I just have to quit. :\

peetfeet

How do you start one of those online hunting trips where the animals keep coming in waves? I don't see anything in the online menu...

Big Ass Ramp said:

What I like is that they went the extra mile and (End Spoiler)
added voice acting for jack for the stranger missions for whatever ones you hadn't completed as John. That said I've only tried one but I'd imagine that it would be the case for others.

Top Bottom